Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Sure Thing" (1985) directed by Rob Reiner

It stars John Cusack (in his adorable twink era) as an obnoxious college freshman who takes a road trip from New England to California over Christmas vacation with his snobbish classmate (DL fave Daphne Zuniga). Nicolette Sheridan also stars as the titular "sure thing", and Tim Robbins and Viveca Lindfors also appear.

I consider it something of an unconventional Christmas movie since it takes place during the holidays—you get the wintry New England setting that transitions to sunny California as it progresses. I often watch it around the holidays. I think Cusack and Zuniga had great chemistry in it. I feel like it's one of those films that is almost never discussed as far as '80s comedies go, but it's quite good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2023 3:22 AM

Have always loved this movie. Lighthearted rom com that you know how is going to end, but endearing and never fails to make me smile.

by Anonymousreply 1December 23, 2023 10:06 PM

This movie was a favorite of mine in the 80s. I just recently rewatched it and it holds up. You could see Rob Reiner gearing up for When Harry Met Sally. Here’s the full movie on YouTube. Quality is pretty good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 23, 2023 10:31 PM

Love this movie, too.

by Anonymousreply 3December 23, 2023 10:34 PM

Zuniga was very likable in this movie, even though she's playing the frigid New England bitch archetype.

by Anonymousreply 4December 23, 2023 11:51 PM

Zuniga, always in a pool or shower in Cusack’s wet dreams.

by Anonymousreply 5December 24, 2023 12:45 AM

That is one ugly sweater.

Now I'm uncertain if I should watch it

by Anonymousreply 6December 24, 2023 12:50 AM

R6 I think the sweater is fabulous

by Anonymousreply 7December 24, 2023 1:57 AM

I loved the morale of the story. The real thing is the ideal, not the sure thing.

by Anonymousreply 8December 24, 2023 2:07 AM

Many people aptly noted it as a sort of '80s take on "It Happened One Night", though Reiner claims it was not an inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 9December 24, 2023 7:28 AM

^ moral

Thanks, OP, for reminding me of this much loved romcom. And thanks to, R2, I just watched the movie for the first time in many, many years. As it always does, I got teary-eyed throughout, especially at the ending.

by Anonymousreply 10December 26, 2023 1:19 AM

Daphne was underrated.

by Anonymousreply 11December 26, 2023 1:43 AM

Thanks for starting this thread, OP!!

One of my favorites scenes: "He endured all kinds of hardships . . . even SHOW TUNES!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 26, 2023 1:47 AM

I’m talking to you cordless. What are you doing for Christmas break?

by Anonymousreply 13December 26, 2023 5:42 AM

I like when she starts to loosen up and he shows her how to shotgun a beer.

by Anonymousreply 14December 26, 2023 4:50 PM

This must be when Daphne Zuniga established herself as a force to be reckoned with among Hollywood's movers and shakers - a dominant industry presence who could destroy millions of careers at a whim.

by Anonymousreply 15December 26, 2023 7:44 PM

R15 Daphne was a big factor in the success of Spaceballs. She also helped to rescue Melrose Place.

by Anonymousreply 16December 26, 2023 9:41 PM

People didn’t use seatbelts in the mid-‘80s?

by Anonymousreply 17December 27, 2023 2:17 AM

R17 They used them far less than they do today. Most states had no penalty for not wearing them.

by Anonymousreply 18December 27, 2023 2:30 AM

I loved this movie when it came out! Definitely one of the smartest of the blizzard of teen movies in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2023 3:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!