Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New Plagiarism Charges Surface Against Harvard's President Prompting CNN's Tapper to Question School's 'Double Standards'

Will her career survive this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94December 22, 2023 1:34 PM

CNN is trash, Jake Tapper is trashier. Yesterday I heard this dude personally invite Donald Trump to the upcoming republican debate, which he will moderate alongside DB

by Anonymousreply 1December 20, 2023 11:34 PM

Good.

That's what a journalist is supposed to do.

by Anonymousreply 2December 20, 2023 11:45 PM

Death by a thousand little cuts. She's on her way out.

by Anonymousreply 3December 20, 2023 11:47 PM

Grow up R1. Every major news site is now covering the same story. Tapper is one of the more evenhanded journalists.

by Anonymousreply 4December 20, 2023 11:51 PM

From the Globe:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 21, 2023 1:53 AM

She got the job because she's a black woman. To the ultra-left, that's the only qualification necessary.

by Anonymousreply 6December 21, 2023 1:13 PM

Too bad.

Sounds like this is going to be a Tick, Tock, BOOM !

by Anonymousreply 7December 21, 2023 1:21 PM

Jesus, this is like ‘The Crucible’. And this is only the beginning. Soon the allegations will be manufactured, and if that doesn’t satisfy the show trial followers, then why not just toss some radioactive iodine in her face?

by Anonymousreply 8December 21, 2023 1:34 PM

Nothing will happen. She'll claim she's the victim of a witch hunt and be allowed to continue in her role. Her ethnicity will allow her impunity. The same impunity that protected her from accusations of anti-semitism.

Some prejudices trump others in the Victim Olympics. She's currently a gold medallist.

by Anonymousreply 9December 21, 2023 1:38 PM

R8 how horrible isn't it: They even ask you not to be a plagiarist in order to be the president of Harvard these days. I tell you, the world has gone crazy.

by Anonymousreply 10December 21, 2023 1:41 PM

She IS the victim of a witch hunt. Right wingers with zero interest in academic integrity are poring through her past work looking for ways to embarrass her and Harvard and to discredit affirmative action. They don’t like a Black woman heading Harvard.

by Anonymousreply 11December 21, 2023 1:48 PM

She got away with being anti-semetic R11. Explain that.

by Anonymousreply 12December 21, 2023 1:50 PM

She is not antisemetic.

by Anonymousreply 13December 21, 2023 1:55 PM

R11 Gay is being vetted by conservatives and it's a witch hunt. Unfortunately, there are dozens and dozens of instances of plagiarism in her work. The two statements can be true at the same time. Gay IS a plagiarist. And may get away with it because of the hypocrisy of diversity goals.

by Anonymousreply 14December 21, 2023 1:56 PM

Look the part, say the right things, shut down all questioning.

by Anonymousreply 15December 21, 2023 2:00 PM

Funny that you have right wing standing against fascism (that antisemitism clearly is) these days, while left wing is enabling it.

by Anonymousreply 16December 21, 2023 2:02 PM

CNN is definitely not trash. I used to be an MSNBC loyalist and do think a few anchors are brilliant, but the scope of news is paper thin. Even the interstitials on CNN give a sense of the larger world, not only dem injustice obsessions.

by Anonymousreply 17December 21, 2023 2:06 PM

They have not found dozens and dozens of instances of plagiarism. She would not survive that. They have found several examples of inadequate citation involving technical, boilerplate language that summarizes past research or describes how data was processed. In other words in the “blah, blah, blah” parts that have to be included but that nobody reads.

by Anonymousreply 18December 21, 2023 2:21 PM

You do not have the right wing standing against fascism or antisemitism. They stand for these things. You have them trying to score political points.

by Anonymousreply 19December 21, 2023 2:23 PM

^cheap political points

by Anonymousreply 20December 21, 2023 2:24 PM

[quote]“It’s part of this extreme right-wing attack on elite institutions,” said Charles Fried, a professor at Harvard Law School and a former solicitor general in the Reagan administration. “The obvious point is to make it look as if there is this ‘woke’ double standard at elite institutions.” “If it came from some other quarter, I might be granting it some credence,” he said of the accusations. “But not from these people.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 21, 2023 2:26 PM

May be cheap, but they are points. When the liberals are afraid to stand against persecution of people because of their ethnicity it leaves the right the space.

by Anonymousreply 22December 21, 2023 2:27 PM

R18 DOZENS of instances have been reported to Harvard. They have yet to admit but a few of them. And the ones that have been publicly reported are PATENTLY plagiarism, not "missed citations".

by Anonymousreply 23December 21, 2023 2:29 PM

This is not "absence of citations". This is blatant deliberate plagiarism. Harvard is spinning this to tamp down the EGG ON FACE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 21, 2023 2:33 PM

I’ll leave the assessment of how serious the problems are to her fellow academics, not to Rupert Murdoch and the House GOP.

by Anonymousreply 25December 21, 2023 2:48 PM

R25 "I REFUSE TO SEE THIS BECAUSE BLACKITY BLACK BLACK"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 21, 2023 2:52 PM

R26 you can not help the people who are not able to use their brains like R25

by Anonymousreply 27December 21, 2023 2:54 PM

And you have revealed your REAL problem with Gay.

by Anonymousreply 28December 21, 2023 2:58 PM

Always good to see the Republicans and right-wing groups seize on issues of vital importance to the lives of Americans 🙄

by Anonymousreply 29December 21, 2023 2:59 PM

I'm not sure why anyone should give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 30December 21, 2023 3:05 PM

R29 let me ask you, what makes you think that you are more entitled than Republicans to care about the issues important for your nation?

I mean they are citizens, they work, they pay taxes. What makes you more important than them, why do you white liberals have this feeling of moral superiority, even feeling that you are the only one with right to exist.

I am asking this unironically, as a stranger, I really wanna know.

by Anonymousreply 31December 21, 2023 3:09 PM

^whooosh!

by Anonymousreply 32December 21, 2023 3:17 PM

R31–assuming you are asking in good faith, r29 is being sarcastic and is calling out Republicans for making a big deal about something that is not important and that they don’t really care about in order to embarrass their perceived enemies.

by Anonymousreply 33December 21, 2023 3:25 PM

Btw, nobody here really believes GOP has any saying in academia.

Harvard has to get rid of her, so they have remembered she loves to copy, which they did not hold against her before.

Seeing the three Ivy league university presidents before the Congress you could have oticed that elites like to put not so intelligent women on very high positions, but sometimes you can go wrong with people who are too stupid to realize who is paying their rent.

by Anonymousreply 34December 21, 2023 3:26 PM

It's kind of a big deal that the President of one of the most important universities in the world and which holds an endowment of 40 billion is a lying hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 35December 21, 2023 3:26 PM

R34 just to get technical, 2 Ivy League Presidents plus MIT.

by Anonymousreply 36December 21, 2023 3:27 PM

It's not important. Nothing to see here. Move along folks...

by Anonymousreply 37December 21, 2023 3:29 PM

R34–Why do you assume these women are “not very intelligent?” Have you examined their scholarship and found it wanting?

They accurately reflected the policies of their universities which have to engage in balancing two values that are sometimes in conflict—freedom of speech and creating an environment in which all students are free from harassment. These are not easy cases and they are not well-suited to Elise Stefanik’s political demand for a “yes or no” answer.

There are real problems with antisemitism on these campuses and elsewhere, but the people making an issue out of it now don’t actually care about it. They just want to create outrage programming for Fox News viewers to enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 38December 21, 2023 3:33 PM

Ok, R36 not Ivy league, but one of the most elitist universities on world.

I was really shocked by sheer stupidity and lack of character of these three very important, high ranked people. But I blame the elites, these women didn't put themselves there.

The elites really have negative selection. Particularly in academia, media and politics. But corporate world too. They are choosing worst sycophants.

by Anonymousreply 39December 21, 2023 3:33 PM

btw, r34, Your reference to “who’s paying the rent” gives you away.

by Anonymousreply 40December 21, 2023 3:35 PM

I sure hope English is not your native language.

by Anonymousreply 41December 21, 2023 3:36 PM

R39 is right. Harvard is so shitty. Scalia went there. Gorsuch. Fucking morons.

by Anonymousreply 42December 21, 2023 3:38 PM

R38 I think that the woman that sells me potatoes on market place would give netter answers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 21, 2023 3:38 PM

R41 you are an ordinary brainless bully. What foreign languages do you speak?

by Anonymousreply 44December 21, 2023 3:39 PM

True, lots of white moronic asswipes are Harvard grads. But Black people can be moronic lying Harvard grads, too.

by Anonymousreply 45December 21, 2023 3:41 PM

r12 = aggrieved racist

by Anonymousreply 46December 21, 2023 3:41 PM

So, if you are not fascist you are racist? Do you suffer from schizophrenia R46?

by Anonymousreply 47December 21, 2023 3:43 PM

She’s an antisemite and no amount of white guilt is going to change that. She has a history of this.

by Anonymousreply 48December 21, 2023 3:44 PM

Is the being targeted as part of an anti-woke crusade? Yes. But if she were a white man in this position there would be endless talk about "mediocre white men" in positions of power. But unlike a white man, she'll survive these attacks.

by Anonymousreply 49December 21, 2023 3:44 PM

I consider it a badge of honor to be called “brainless” by the likes of you.

by Anonymousreply 50December 21, 2023 3:44 PM

[quote] anti-semetic

Oh dear, R12. You can't even spell the word.

by Anonymousreply 51December 21, 2023 3:46 PM

Idiots are always proud of their idiocy R50

by Anonymousreply 52December 21, 2023 3:46 PM

[quote]There are real problems with antisemitism on these campuses and elsewhere, but the people making an issue out of it now don’t actually care about it.

Well then, maybe the left should make an issue about it.

Ever thought of that? Or should the issues be ignored until "the right people"... people you approve of....sit up and do something?

by Anonymousreply 53December 21, 2023 3:47 PM

No. Idiots are unaware of their stupidity. THAT’S what’s wrong with America.

by Anonymousreply 54December 21, 2023 3:48 PM

Most of the left doesn’t care about antisemitism either.

by Anonymousreply 55December 21, 2023 3:50 PM

It's so amusing when right wingers pretend to care about anti-semitism.

by Anonymousreply 56December 21, 2023 3:50 PM

You just know that MAGAts are HUGE Jew lovers.

by Anonymousreply 57December 21, 2023 3:51 PM

[quote] They have not found dozens and dozens of instances of plagiarism. She would not survive that. They have found several examples of inadequate citation involving technical, boilerplate language that summarizes past research or describes how data was processed. In other words in the “blah, blah, blah” parts that have to be included but that nobody reads.

I haven't read the allegations or followed this story closely, but it blows me away that people do this. I triple-checked every citation and quotation I included in my work-- not because I was paranoid, but because it's what you are supposed to do. And I was working in multiple, difficult languages. I think this is more about lazy, sloppy disciplines and standards in them than diversity.

by Anonymousreply 58December 21, 2023 3:52 PM

R54 that makes you the only self aware idiot. Kudos

by Anonymousreply 59December 21, 2023 3:52 PM

Of course we are!

by Anonymousreply 60December 21, 2023 3:52 PM

At least MAGAs are not pro genocide of Jews, like you "progressives", you must give them that.

by Anonymousreply 61December 21, 2023 3:54 PM

That may sound like a snappy comeback to you, r59, but it actually makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 62December 21, 2023 3:55 PM

If you were more intelligent, maybe it would R62

by Anonymousreply 63December 21, 2023 3:55 PM

The MAGA leader speaks of exterminating the vermin who are the real enemies inside America, living among us. He dines with Nazis who expressly speak of killing all the Jews.

by Anonymousreply 64December 21, 2023 3:57 PM

[quote]At least MAGAs are not pro genocide of Jews, like you "progressives",

Right-wing arguments always come down to "i know you are but what am i??"

by Anonymousreply 65December 21, 2023 3:58 PM

Oh, btw “vermin” means “Various small animals, such as rats or cockroaches, that are destructive, annoying, or injurious to health.”

by Anonymousreply 66December 21, 2023 4:01 PM

You are repeating this "right wing" like a parrot. When this matter is only about you liberals being entangled in your own hypocrisy and bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 67December 21, 2023 4:01 PM

I mean you people are so brainwashed by media and politicians that you don't know anymore who you are and what you stand for. You are becoming what you loathe, little fascists. Moral relativists.

by Anonymousreply 68December 21, 2023 4:05 PM

Moral relativists? Like self-professed Christians supporting Trump?

It's hilarious that ppl like R68 think anyone who thinks she's dumb and crazy must be brainwashed by the media or something. Maybe you're just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 69December 21, 2023 4:08 PM

No, you are stupid R69. Very stupid person unable to have his own opinion. You are just parroting words from media.

by Anonymousreply 70December 21, 2023 4:12 PM

r70 is MAGA-level retarted.

by Anonymousreply 71December 21, 2023 4:39 PM

The Left has weaponized plagiarism charges since years (especially in Germany) and now the chickens come home to roost.

by Anonymousreply 72December 21, 2023 4:44 PM

r72 = still proudly retarted

by Anonymousreply 73December 21, 2023 4:46 PM

r72 = weaponizing internet access to inflict his utter stupidity on all of us.

by Anonymousreply 74December 21, 2023 4:48 PM

This thread has devolved quicker than three deans at a congressional hearing.

by Anonymousreply 75December 21, 2023 4:52 PM

Pk, is anyone here that extremely stupid that truly believes that this is about Maga? That this isn't about Harvard trying to get rid of Gay in the most painless manner?

by Anonymousreply 76December 21, 2023 4:53 PM

If they are trying to get rid of her, why are they extending the highly bizarre courtesy of "correcting" obvious plagiarism. A freshman would be give a written notice or worse, depending on the Dean. An upperclassman undergraduate would face more severe punishment. This cunt has been grifting for decades. She didn't overlook citations. She deliberately copied texts and ideas and only did not cite them in her text, she left copied sources OFF her bibliography.

She is such a low wit she copied dedications/acknowledgments. What person can't write acknowledgements in his own words?

I highly doubt she is stupid. But I think she is very insecure and was very ambitious. She has been rewarded with a golden fast track. She really thinks her shit doesn't stink.

by Anonymousreply 77December 21, 2023 6:09 PM

[quote] proudly retarted

Oh dear, R73 (it must be said).

by Anonymousreply 78December 21, 2023 6:26 PM

"retarted" is a recent DL inside joke referencing Caitlyn Jenner's stupidity. Do keep up.

by Anonymousreply 79December 21, 2023 6:30 PM

This is all being driven by Christopher Rufo. Hate her; hate him more.

by Anonymousreply 80December 21, 2023 8:53 PM

Christopher Ruffo is actually quite good.

by Anonymousreply 81December 21, 2023 9:00 PM

1 F.

How is his anal hygiene?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 21, 2023 9:16 PM

My god this website is so embarrassing these days. Used to be cute and smart, now it’s a bunch of losers that are too slow to be funny on Reddit coming over here to troll non stop about women and black peoples and Jewish people and Muslim people and Romanian people and poor people and mentally ill people and trans people and gay people and lesbians and bi people and young people etc etc etc. What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 83December 21, 2023 9:28 PM

OK R83, show us how "cute and smart" you are.

How should one feel about Claudine Gay's plagiarism charges?

by Anonymousreply 84December 21, 2023 9:39 PM

R84 she can't, she has no brains, she is really really stupid and doesn't even understana what is plagiarism and on one of the top position in academic world.

To her is as if someone didn't like Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 85December 21, 2023 9:44 PM

[quote] doesn't even understana what is plagiarism and on one of the top position in academic world.

I don’t understana R85 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 86December 21, 2023 9:58 PM

Santa, please give Datalounge a messaging feature….because I’m tired of wading thru arguments between shut-in losers! Another thread hijacked and derailed. Thanks morons.🙄

by Anonymousreply 87December 21, 2023 10:31 PM

R6 Right because black women get all the top jobs in America!

by Anonymousreply 88December 21, 2023 10:35 PM

Harvard is just so liberal R6!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89December 21, 2023 10:37 PM

I see countless careers in tatters now that the dam has broken. They will go over every thesis, book, and paper of every “Professor” (pronounced with Fox News condescension) with plagiarism software. It’s going to be a bonanza.

by Anonymousreply 90December 22, 2023 12:07 PM

Whole excerpts from her writing have proven to be plagiarised.

"I like big butts an´ I can not lie.

You otha brothas can´t deny.

That when a girl walks in wit´ a itty bitty waist an´

A round thing in yo´ face. You get SPRUNG."

and

"Now, this is a story all about how

My life got flipped-turned upside down

And I'd like to take a minute

Just sit right there

I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air"

by Anonymousreply 91December 22, 2023 12:22 PM

There is no way she will survive the mounting examples of how she stood on others’ work without giving them credit.

Her prior tenure as dean focused on removing some of Harvard’s visual history as it didn’t fit her desired narrative.

She showed her pet DEI did not extend to Jewish people.

PROBLEMATIC.

by Anonymousreply 92December 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Unfortunately, she plays up to the stereotype of an aggressive, reactionary, angry Black woman.

by Anonymousreply 93December 22, 2023 1:24 PM

No she doesn't seem aggressive or angry, and certainly not reactionary (backward looking). She seems crafty, plotting, simpering yet internecine, duplicitous, insecure, and narcissistic.

by Anonymousreply 94December 22, 2023 1:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!