Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Taraji P. Henson breaks down in tears while discussing how black actors are underpaid

They make a small fraction of what white actors make.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331February 3, 2024 8:25 PM

Perhaps she needs a better agent.

by Anonymousreply 1December 20, 2023 8:20 PM

She's wonderful, may she prevail.

by Anonymousreply 2December 20, 2023 8:22 PM

Isn't 30% for her team a bit much or..?

by Anonymousreply 3December 20, 2023 8:27 PM

đŸ„±đŸ„±đŸ„±

by Anonymousreply 4December 20, 2023 8:29 PM

She relayed this to Gayle King who I doubt could relate.

by Anonymousreply 5December 20, 2023 8:37 PM

Can we please return to the era when it was unseemly to cry in public? It’s now obligatory to cry when you discuss any social issue.

by Anonymousreply 6December 20, 2023 10:49 PM

Why should you get top dollar for inferior work?

by Anonymousreply 7December 20, 2023 10:52 PM

's[quote]Can we please return to the era when it was unseemly to cry in public?

It's a female thing. On one hand, they want to be seen as powerful women, empowered to take on the reins of top positions. On the other hand, they want to seem like delicate flowers who need to be coddled and protected. And men still fall for the tears.

by Anonymousreply 8December 20, 2023 10:55 PM

I really enjoyed her in Hidden Figures and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and she is totally correct. Women generally receive unequal pay, and as black woman I can imagine she feels even more taken advantage of.

by Anonymousreply 9December 20, 2023 10:59 PM

People always say that but white women make more than black men and black women are paid the least.

by Anonymousreply 10December 20, 2023 11:02 PM

R9 - Proof please.

There is none because that’s an outright lie, complete fiction that we’ve been conditioned to not question.

by Anonymousreply 11December 20, 2023 11:08 PM

Good for her. Agree and support 100 percent.

I want to see a wide variety of stories and faces. Why H'wood doesn't get that is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 12December 20, 2023 11:08 PM

Didn’t Monique do this routine years ago and get blacklisted?

Why was she shit on and Taraji given praise?

by Anonymousreply 13December 20, 2023 11:09 PM

Monique slandered big names that have power. Taraji isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 14December 20, 2023 11:12 PM

oh god, is she ever AAAC-TINGGGGG

“I'm just tired 
”

Too bad, sister. Facts of life. The actors who get paid the most are the ones people want to see the most. Their agents know it, the producers know it, and the box office knows it.

by Anonymousreply 15December 20, 2023 11:24 PM

My team and I do not care to contribute to this thread at the moment and hope that all of you on Datalounge will respect my privacy during this difficult time.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 16December 20, 2023 11:25 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 17December 20, 2023 11:31 PM

Tariji should have been a bigger actress!

You can't tell me Emma Fucking Stone gets to be a double nominee at the GG this year! a triple Oscar nominee , an Oscar win under her belt, and THE great Tariji P Henson is now a struggling Hollywood actress?!?!

Also black don't crack. Taraiji looks guuud

by Anonymousreply 18December 20, 2023 11:47 PM

Her first name is off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 19December 21, 2023 12:03 AM

Agreed. Black do crack.

by Anonymousreply 20December 21, 2023 12:04 AM

Taraiji is FAB!!!

by Anonymousreply 21December 21, 2023 12:04 AM

It's uncouth, trashy to go out and talk about money.

by Anonymousreply 22December 21, 2023 12:07 AM

r11 here is an entire dashboard that allows you to drill down by state to trace numerous statistics related to women's pay in comparison to men, amongst other things.

Women in entertainment likely vary but there is still disparity. Female entertainment acts are generally more expensive if you are looking at it from a numbers standpoint, especially in music. They require many staff to maintain their appearance, more security etc. TLC is a perfect example of typical treatment of black women in entertainment. They became superstars but had nothing left because their pay did not keep up with the huge expenses they had to keep the group operating. They took matters into their own hands and luckily it worked out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 21, 2023 12:23 AM

R11 Whoa cool it, Adolf. They don't need to prove shit to you. Women receive significantly less pay than men on average. The poster stated an opinion at the end that doesn't need to be cited.

by Anonymousreply 24December 21, 2023 12:26 AM

R24, they do not. That’s been debunked a million times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 21, 2023 12:31 AM

Boo boo kitty

by Anonymousreply 26December 21, 2023 1:18 AM

R23 Glad that I didn't have anything to do with that.

by Anonymousreply 27December 21, 2023 1:37 AM

She’s right and what’s crazy is that many of these black stars have built in fanbases that some technically more “popular” white stars don’t have because many in white America think they are liberal hacks, I’m talking about the white stars that US weekly forces down your throat. How old is this though. Isn’t that Ellis from True Blood?

by Anonymousreply 28December 21, 2023 1:41 AM

Hollywood gives jobs to black foreign actors cause they’ll work cheaper.

Harriet Tubman was played by a non-black American. Probably cause the black American actresses turned down the shit pay.

by Anonymousreply 29December 21, 2023 1:54 AM

[quote]She’s right and what’s crazy is that many of these black stars have built in fanbases that some technically more “popular” white stars don’t have because many in white America think they are liberal hacks

??

by Anonymousreply 30December 21, 2023 2:00 AM

Actors are paid based on what value they add in dollars to the project. Sylvester Stallone always made more than Al Pacino, it had nothing to do with their worth as actors.

by Anonymousreply 31December 21, 2023 4:08 AM

She has a right to be upset. She’s been in movies forever plus she hasn’t aged

by Anonymousreply 32December 21, 2023 4:33 AM

Taraji P. Henson is on a major grievance campaign lately. Who does she think she is Viola Davis?

To black people Taraji P. Henson is incredibly famous, but in the big picture she is merely a known working actress, i.e. not somebody who "opens" big movies or gets butts into seats. She's not a big "movie star". Yeah, at that level any actor is low-balled, and doesn't make millions per project, get in line. Plus, she's now middle-aged and has gained a ton of weight. Bitter doesn't sell especially well either.

For someone who has worked in Hollywood for a long time, she doesn't seem to understand at all how Hollywood works.

by Anonymousreply 33December 21, 2023 4:38 AM

[quote]Also black don't crack. Taraiji looks guuud

Also black don't crack. Taraiji looks faaat

by Anonymousreply 34December 21, 2023 4:40 AM

How much them nails cost?

by Anonymousreply 35December 21, 2023 4:58 AM

Single women are paid more than single men.

We live in a “patriarchy” not a “male-triarchy.” Rule under the father. It’s married fathers who earn the most money.

by Anonymousreply 36December 21, 2023 5:40 AM

This bitch always complaining and reminding people she’s ghetto fabulous but is less fabulous with each passing year.

A year from now she’ll be shoving cucumbers up her shitter on OnlyFans.

by Anonymousreply 37December 21, 2023 5:49 AM

[quote]Hollywood gives jobs to black foreign actors cause they’ll work cheaper.

They get the jobs because they are better trained and better actors.

by Anonymousreply 38December 21, 2023 1:04 PM

So gauche to discuss money. But then, for certain groups, this is their sole aim.

by Anonymousreply 39December 21, 2023 1:17 PM

Well, I love her. I hope some rich producer pays her some big money.

by Anonymousreply 40December 21, 2023 1:35 PM

You tried R39

by Anonymousreply 41December 21, 2023 1:46 PM

This is the way I look at it, there have been pay discrepancies between the sexes and the races for a very long time. Instead of getting mad when someone brings this up and calling them whiners and ungrateful, why not ask the question why are there still pay discrepancies in 2023. Now before some of you jump on me, I understand that some stars are more bankable than others and their higher paychecks are in some ways justified. But it is odd when a straight white male star who hasn't had a major hit in decades can still command a top dollar quote and others aren't given similar deals. There is nothing wrong with having the conversation. It's an important one and one that gay people should support.

by Anonymousreply 42December 21, 2023 2:00 PM

While I have no doubt at all that black actors in Hollywood were underpaid in the past, I can hardly believe that is still happening in the current environment.

by Anonymousreply 43December 21, 2023 2:02 PM

[quote]While I have no doubt at all that black actors in Hollywood were underpaid in the past, I can hardly believe that is still happening in the current environment.

What color is the sky in your world?

by Anonymousreply 44December 21, 2023 2:17 PM

r41 she tried it.

by Anonymousreply 45December 21, 2023 2:25 PM

It's blue, R44. Sometimes gray, and much darker at night.

I repeat: I can't believe that, in the era of BLM, black actors are receiving lower pay than white actors of comparable statute in comparable roles. If there are still not as many black movie and TV stars as there are white stars, that's also an important issue, but a separate one, and obviously, a great deal of progress has been made in that area as well.

by Anonymousreply 46December 21, 2023 3:02 PM

Let's hear it for the Assistant in the black jump suit who runs in with the tissues!

by Anonymousreply 47December 21, 2023 3:14 PM

Who wants an employee who puts that out to the public? Why would I give myself the headache of giving her a job?

by Anonymousreply 48December 21, 2023 4:36 PM

It’s hard to feel sorry for a wealthy celebrity but she is human and feels the sting of making less than her peers.

She’s a woman and black so that is already stacked against her regardless of her source of wealth.

by Anonymousreply 49December 21, 2023 4:50 PM

What, she gets paid less than Tom Cruise and DiCaprio?

by Anonymousreply 50December 21, 2023 5:26 PM

R50 You are an idiot. Say it with me. IDIOT.

by Anonymousreply 51December 21, 2023 5:35 PM

Well it's hard out here for a whore.

by Anonymousreply 52December 21, 2023 5:44 PM

Teacake, you are low life brainless bitch. Fuck you and this whining nobody bitch.

by Anonymousreply 53December 21, 2023 6:38 PM

The Jonathan Majors wind up in the headlines this week should be a cautionary tale.

It can be all over tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 54December 21, 2023 6:39 PM

This bitch is nobody, just like you Teacake. No one gives two dimes to see her in anything. And let me tell you honestly everyone is tired of black bitches from Hollywood who are whining all the time. Even rich and famous Will Smith who was emotionally blackmailing until they gave him his Oscar. You all should grow up and stop acting like spoiled children.

by Anonymousreply 55December 21, 2023 6:44 PM

R53 Shut yo stankin ass up bitch. You ain’t nothing and won’t never be nothing in life. Useless garden tool.

by Anonymousreply 56December 21, 2023 6:48 PM

What she seems to want is akin to communism -- where every actor makes the same regardless of their popularity/bankability.

by Anonymousreply 57December 21, 2023 7:09 PM

Her net worth is listed online as 12 million. Sorry/not sorry you're not a superstar. Next.

by Anonymousreply 58December 21, 2023 7:15 PM

R56 go and whine some more and call for white savior to give you money.

by Anonymousreply 59December 21, 2023 7:34 PM

R38 no, that's another myth as that poster stated.

To justify hiring foreigners.

The populations of England (55m), Canada (38m), Australia (26m), Scotland (5m), Ireland (5m), New Zealand (5m), Wales (3m), and Northern Ireland (2m) COMBINED don't even equal half the population of the United States (331m).

Also, the US has some of the best acting schools.

It's preposterous to believe that they can't find local American talent.

Show business is all about cost-cutting and making profit.

Also, Hollywood used to scout the Midwest for gorgeous movie stars with talent, but ever since they went 'woke' (i.e., far-left) they have been pretty anti-Midwest, as well as anti-South, two hotspots for conservatism.

Thus, they would prefer to hire a foreigner to play a Southerner or Midwesterner, because they despise the real deal.

by Anonymousreply 60December 21, 2023 7:47 PM

There is no "Hollywood" as a collectively organized entity.

Every film/tv show is a separate business entity offering the pay they feel appropriate to their budget. Other than SAG-AFTRA minimum scale wages, each producer is free to pay whatever they want and can afford. Only a very small percentage of actors command eye-popping salaries while the next rung below them does just fine, but unless they've popped is a major blockbuster and are perceived to be bringing in a lot of viewers, it is a lot less than Leonardo DiCaprio gets paid.

If any actor thinks they are underpaid there's two things they can do. One, is fire their agent, and two, turn down the job. That's it. Older actresses age out of bigger paydays, regardless of color. Perceived value is everything, and whiners casting a pall on producers and films is a sure way to earn even less. Stupid, stupid woman.

by Anonymousreply 61December 21, 2023 9:47 PM

Has anyone yet mentioned that Oprah produced this film and likely had a big say and how much she was paid?

by Anonymousreply 62December 22, 2023 12:49 AM

She should just keep her trap shut and move to NY

then see how much of that 800 billion she can grab for reparations.

by Anonymousreply 63December 22, 2023 3:25 AM

Black Threads is gossiping about standoffish body language between Oprah and Taraji.

by Anonymousreply 64December 22, 2023 3:47 AM

Well, some of her previous public pronouncements don’t furnish evidence of strong legal or logical skills:

[quote]”Empire” actress Taraji Henson called for her former TV son, Jussie Smollett, to be released from jail – and compared the hate-crime faker’s case to that of Emmett Till, the black teen who was lynched in Mississippi in 1955.

Wut.

[quote]”Emmett Till was brutally murdered because of a lie and none of the people involved with his demise spent one day in jail. No one was hurt or killed during Jussie’s ordeal,” Henson said. [NB: “ordeal.”]

Since no one was punished for Emmett Till, therefore Jussie Smollett should be released.

Free Jussie!

by Anonymousreply 65December 27, 2023 1:29 PM

DL will never let people live down a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 66December 27, 2023 2:00 PM

Starbucks is hiring.

by Anonymousreply 67December 27, 2023 3:08 PM

Quit posting from the barista station, R67.

by Anonymousreply 68December 27, 2023 3:09 PM

[quote] TLC is a perfect example of typical treatment of black women in entertainment. They became superstars but had nothing left because their pay did not keep up with the huge expenses they had to keep the group operating. They took matters into their own hands and luckily it worked out.

But where is accountability? Sure, the contract was fucked up, but it wasn't abnormal from many other record contracts. LaFace Records had to take the "hit" because TLC did not read their contracts and the fine print? Who did they think was paying for hotel rooms, limousines, transportation, clothing, etc?

I get Taraji's complaint. But where was her needed voice when Mo'Nique was complaining about the same issue for years? Mo'Nique was blackballed and lost many jobs because of her complaining. She also lost a lot of public support too.

With Taraji, she agreed to these jobs and at the salary offered. Was she concerned about her career and longevity? That's good reason and legitimate. Therefore, she made a choice. No one held a gun to her head. She has made enough money to be the boss and produce projects that she like and then pay actors and whoever else fairly. I betcha she would all of sudden turn into a tightwad too.

by Anonymousreply 69December 27, 2023 5:12 PM

Grifter

by Anonymousreply 70December 27, 2023 5:16 PM

Yes R62, I thought the same thing.

Oprah is the elephant in the room so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 71December 27, 2023 7:07 PM

Yall do realize she got her bank after this video. That’s why the tension is so strong in that photo. Oprah is lowkey pissed. Oprah paid her arse so she could stfu. Smart move. Checkmate Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 72December 27, 2023 7:31 PM

I don't think any actress gets paid additional monies after a film is done shooting just because they whined in the media. It is far more likely that Taraji now has an asterisk next to her name signifying "Not worth the bother", which will follow her forward.

by Anonymousreply 73December 27, 2023 8:43 PM

Here's something to cry about: The Color Purple's precipitous decline at the Box Office.

MONDAY #1 $18.1M

TUESDAY #3 $7M

WEDNESDAY #4 $3.8M.

by Anonymousreply 74December 29, 2023 3:33 AM

Mmph...

I'm watching her in this TERRIBLE Tyler Perry film titled "Acrimony". I'm surprised that she doesn't have to beg and pay casting directors to send her half-way decent scripts and roles after agreeing to do that one! It's a GREAT example of her taking a gig because she REALLY NEEDED the money! Just AWFUL!

by Anonymousreply 75January 4, 2024 10:17 PM

R75 what Tyler Perry film isn't TERRIBLE?

by Anonymousreply 76January 5, 2024 1:08 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 7, 2024 12:01 AM

non paywall link below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 7, 2024 12:04 AM

Nice that she can afford a month in Bali to 'recenter'

by Anonymousreply 79January 7, 2024 12:19 AM

I think she is a legend in her own mind.

by Anonymousreply 80January 7, 2024 12:49 AM

Ain’t nobody checking movies for this bitch.

by Anonymousreply 81January 7, 2024 12:54 AM

Who's going to hire hew now?

by Anonymousreply 82January 7, 2024 12:57 AM

[quote] She has a right to be upset. She’s been in movies forever plus she hasn’t aged

Not how it works, hon.

by Anonymousreply 83January 7, 2024 1:12 AM

Ohmygawd.

NOW Taraji P. Henson is complaining that The Color Purple production wanted to give her a rental car to drive herself to set rather than pick her up and deliver her! irSomething is fishy here, as when a film is not shooting in LA or NYC proper there is always a crew of drivers to bring the actors to the various set locations from their hotel. This doesn't make sense unless particular actors requested their own rental for the shoot. It might make sense then, but generally production would rather the cast be delivered safely by union drivers on the crew.

Taraji P. Henson is one long grievance with this film, huh? She is really working overtime to bring it all the bad press she can muster! She must HATE Oprah!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 7, 2024 5:43 AM

You in danger gurl!!!!! Shut up!

by Anonymousreply 85January 7, 2024 6:17 AM

Now that I’m singing and dancing for you, and I climbed up on the table 88 times with my knobby knees and had to ice my knees in between takes, what else do I need to do?

by Anonymousreply 86January 7, 2024 7:20 AM

Taraji's rental car

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 7, 2024 7:31 AM

Mmph... I suppose she feels that she has nothing to risk/lose now since she is now considered old and fat. While there weren't many roles for Black women to begin with, if they are considered old and fat then there REALLY aren't any roles! When was the last time that anyone has seen Alfre Woodard, Lynn Whitfield, Vanessa Williams, and so many other mature Black women, in anything compelling and major?

by Anonymousreply 88January 7, 2024 12:05 PM

[quote]Taraji P. Henson breaks down in tears while discussing how black actors are underpaid

And how does their pay compare to Asian, Mexican, Filipino, etc pay?

by Anonymousreply 89January 7, 2024 12:13 PM

Does she discuss why blacks HATE Asians?

by Anonymousreply 90January 7, 2024 12:18 PM

R90 ??????????

by Anonymousreply 91January 7, 2024 12:23 PM

[quote]Does she discuss why blacks HATE Asians?

I'm unfamiliar with anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 92January 7, 2024 12:25 PM

She was born on Sept. 11th. Shouldn't she receive compen$ation for that?

by Anonymousreply 93January 7, 2024 12:26 PM

R93 You are an idiot. Good lawd. I’m a pray for you though.

by Anonymousreply 94January 7, 2024 12:28 PM

Tragic P Henson

by Anonymousreply 95January 7, 2024 8:47 PM

R95

OMG!!!

by Anonymousreply 96January 7, 2024 8:50 PM

I know a great role Taraji can play!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 8, 2024 2:05 AM

Any relation to Marsha P. Johnson?

by Anonymousreply 98January 8, 2024 2:14 AM

They should all get paid based on box office revenue. The more people that go to or stream a movie a movie, the more EVERYONE involved in the movie makes. Full transparency.

by Anonymousreply 99January 8, 2024 2:23 AM

[quote]When was the last time that anyone has seen Alfre Woodard, Lynn Whitfield, Vanessa Williams, and so many other mature Black women, in anything compelling and major?

R88 I know. That sucks for the audience too. The US film industry should be able to support smaller-budget high quality projects, not just huge mega-box-office smash hits geared at morons. Ideally, talented actors would be willing to sign on to smaller budget films, even though the payout isn’t stratospheric.

by Anonymousreply 100January 8, 2024 2:46 AM

except from link somewhere above:

A monthlong trip to Bali helped to recenter her, as did attending to her successful beauty brand, TPH.

“I have a brand now, so I have other things to pay the bills,” she said. “Because the way I’m getting paid in Hollywood, I sure won’t be retiring off these sorry checks.”

by Anonymousreply 101January 8, 2024 4:09 AM

[quote]The US film industry should be able to support smaller-budget high quality projects, not just huge mega-box-office smash hits geared at morons.

John Sayles seems to have retired from directing, though he's still writing. Woody Allen is not just old, he's shunned. Wes Anderson still makes movies. Who else?

by Anonymousreply 102January 8, 2024 4:44 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 13, 2024 11:45 PM

[quote]They make a small fraction of what white actors make.

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 104January 13, 2024 11:48 PM

[Quote] They make a small fraction of what white actors make.

and after the musical The Color Purple flopped, Taraji will be making a fraction of a fraction!

by Anonymousreply 105January 14, 2024 7:57 AM

While I agree there is a difference in pay, most of this shouldn’t have left the agents and executive’s office, and will damage future negotiations just like Monique did. The biggest difference today is the industry can track to the moment and every eyeball in the theater how popular any particular actor is on screen using technology and streaming data. They honestly don’t care about color or gender, but what makes an actor “pop” off a screen and is very sticky with fans and will attract them no matter what the storyline is. THIS is what gathers a nice paycheck nowadays.

I also resent that just because a story strongly resonates with an actor, we need to embrace it as an audience, race or minority. Big nope.

By dragging all this out in public and erasing any sort of grace, tactfulness or discretion with professional negotiating (for an aging actress), and letting paid executives do their job?

She’ll never work again, and this is also why Ryan Murphy eased up on trans storylines after Pose. NONE of those actors went anywhere with stoking all that controversy.

by Anonymousreply 106January 14, 2024 8:16 AM

[quote]NONE of those actors went anywhere with stoking all that controversy.

MJ Rodriguez might disagree with you that one.

[quote]They honestly don’t care about color or gender, but what makes an actor “pop” off a screen and is very sticky with fans and will attract them no matter what the storyline is. THIS is what gathers a nice paycheck nowadays.

With all of this data, they will still get away with what they can afford to get away with. I guess the real crux of her story is that she wasn't big enough star as to be IRREPLACEABLE. She could never walk away if they weren't paying her what she wanted. Most actresses aren't. They aren't going to just pay you what you think you deserve, they are going to pay you what you demand or else you walk away. She just could never afford to walk away during a negotiation.

I'd like to know what jobs she has walked away from because they weren't paying her enough. If she never has walked away, then she's stated her going price.

by Anonymousreply 107January 14, 2024 11:20 AM

I actually thought the film would be a rousing success. The PR campaign put a negative cloud on this film. They should have been talking about the film, the fun they had on set, black representation. Everyone I know who has actually seen it loved it, black, Asian, or white. Now this film won’t cut a profit— at least not theaters. Probably won’t break even until March. Math ain’t mathing.

by Anonymousreply 108January 14, 2024 11:36 AM

How about getting a real job instead of playing dress-up?

Most people I know slave 40+ hours a week, are underpaid, deal with commuting, are treated horribly and have terrible health insurance.

by Anonymousreply 109January 14, 2024 12:13 PM

R109 you're not getting it. The wage isn't the issue. That is all relative. You could be bitching about slaving at your 40+ hour a week job and someone in another country will say I'm working 80+ for $2 an hour. This is not a discussion about the type of work. It's a discussion about being paid what you are worth in whatever industry you are in. It's the exact same discussion we had a while back when who was it, Natalie Portman who said her partner in some film got paid three times as much as her. Yes Natalie Portman was probably making more in that film than an entire West Virginia neighborhood does in a year, but that's not the point. If they could afford to pay her partner three times as much, they can afford to pay her. And when you are at the point of your career when you should be making the MOST money you can earn (because it WILL dwindle after this point) you need to be figuring out how to make it, or yelling about it if you don't. Nothing changes if you just pack up and move on. Because trust me the companies aren't suffering by either paying or stiffing their employees.

by Anonymousreply 110January 14, 2024 12:25 PM

^ and Taraji P. Henson is an Oscar nominated, sought-after actress in Hollywood and SHOULD NOT be getting paid the same as in ingenue on a film. Everyone in Hollywood knows that is not right.

by Anonymousreply 111January 14, 2024 12:30 PM

After her dreadful Miss Hannigan on TV, she's lucky to do anything beyond community theatre.

by Anonymousreply 112January 14, 2024 2:25 PM

Actors are paid what audiences think they're worth.

Sorry, Weepy.

by Anonymousreply 113January 14, 2024 3:39 PM

Oprah hasn’t had a flop this big since Beloved.

by Anonymousreply 114January 14, 2024 4:25 PM

I'd like to thank Taraji for giving Oprah tsuris. I still want to see it r108 but I agree, the movie didn't need this bad publicity. I'm not sure it hurt the bottom line but it definitely didn't help. I feel bad for the lesser known actors who are completely ignored in this.

Sidenote: what does Oprah do now to relieve stress? She can't eat on semaglutide, right?

by Anonymousreply 115January 14, 2024 5:18 PM

She cuts her loose batwings on the floor her 1000 sq foot closet in the dark.

by Anonymousreply 116January 14, 2024 6:04 PM

How ridiculous. Actors complaining of unequal pay have to reconsider the industry they chose to work for. Pay is all about your boxoffice clout and has nothing to do with race, gender or talent.

by Anonymousreply 117January 14, 2024 6:27 PM

Your ridiculous r117. That isn't the truth. Women are definitely paid less than their male counterparts even though their box offices can be just as big.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118January 14, 2024 6:41 PM

Make up your mind, racist bitch. You caused all of the shit you and Oprah got.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119January 19, 2024 7:10 PM

Too late for that TPH It's # 11 at the box office and as of yesterday it was playing in 1,178 theatres down from 3,152 on its opening day 24 days ago and it's likely to be playing in fewer theatres come the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 120January 19, 2024 9:31 PM

^ it's on Prime for 19.99

by Anonymousreply 121January 19, 2024 9:34 PM

I saw some snippet of Oprah talking about when SHE was in "The Color Purple" and only got paid $35,000, but she accepted it because of the avenues she felt it might open, and for the experience. This is straight from the American Management playbook, "We can't offer you attractive compensation, but the opportunities will be limitless." And so is it any wonder she tried this bullshit with her own production?

One factor Monique doesn't touch on regarding her $500K offer vs. $10 million for Amy Schumer is that Monique had not seen a paycheck in a little while. People who need money more than others do get lowball offers, it's why a standard pre-employment background report includes a credit check.

by Anonymousreply 122January 19, 2024 10:34 PM

[quote]“What you’re not gonna do is pit two Black women together — not on my watch.”

I’ll do whatever the fuck I want, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 123January 19, 2024 11:46 PM

I can’t with this Woke & DEI mindfuck bullshit anymore. It’s not about “equality” anymore, it’s about abusing power and they won’t stop until yT is in the field.

by Anonymousreply 124January 20, 2024 4:13 AM

Obviously if she is saying now you're not going to pit two black women against each other when it was she who did it she is a complete loon and negates any point she wanted to make. Oprah read her the riot act.

Wasn't Elizabeth Taylor the first actor to make a million for Cleopatra? And then Hepburn got a million for My Fair Lady. And her costar the man got 200k.

And the fact that she was NOMINATED for an Oscar means she shouldn't have to audition for a role. What an entitled asshole.

by Anonymousreply 125January 20, 2024 4:43 AM

Whoopi Goldberg was the highest paid actress in Hollywood for a few years in the mid-90s after Sister Act, until she had a string of high profile flops. Even now Whoopi makes $8m a year for being on The View. No one ever mentions facts like that. These people don’t understand that you have to have revenue to get higher pay, sorry but Tom Cruise puts asses in seats, Taraji DOES NOT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126January 20, 2024 5:48 AM

[quote]And the fact that she was NOMINATED for an Oscar means she shouldn't have to audition for a role. What an entitled asshole.

That isn't true r125. She was upset she had to audition NOT because of her Oscar nomination, it's because she was handpicked for the role. Which means she was a known entity production tailored the part of Shug Avery around with the idea that she would be the one playing the part - but she still had to audition for it. I think she was right to fire her entire team, because they were feeding her some bad information and not working hard enough for her. Her team was selling her short while at the same time gassing up her influence in the industry to her.

by Anonymousreply 127January 20, 2024 8:27 AM

Didn't she recently just complain about her car service during Color Purple and griped if it was Tom Cruise or Julia Roberts they would have had special treatment? Does she believe herself at the same level whether black or white? What kind of car service was she even expecting?

by Anonymousreply 128January 20, 2024 8:31 AM

You can’t act all powerful and pretend like you’re some shrewd negotiator, and then break down crying about it all in public like some victim. No bitch, can’t have it both ways.

by Anonymousreply 129January 20, 2024 8:37 AM

[quote] I saw some snippet of Oprah talking about when SHE was in "The Color Purple" and only got paid $35,000, but she accepted it because of the avenues she felt it might open, and for the experience. This is straight from the American Management playbook, "We can't offer you attractive compensation, but the opportunities will be limitless." And so is it any wonder she tried this bullshit with her own production?

What kind of compensation should Oprah have been offered at that time? It was her first film role, she wasn't yet a star, and it was a supporting role with a handful of scenes. In 1985, $35K was a nice chunk of change for that sort of scenario.

by Anonymousreply 130January 20, 2024 8:41 AM

I remember when that ungrateful cunt Hilary Swank won her first Oscar and during her speech she made some bitchy crack about having not gotten paid much to make Boys Don't Cry. I thought- Are you fucking kidding me? You were NOTHING before this film, you were a joke who had been written off years ago. And now you have an Oscar. Who gives a fuck if you weren't paid much for A TINY INDIE ABOUT A TRANNY? You can now write your own ticket. No one is grateful for or appreciative of anything.

by Anonymousreply 131January 20, 2024 8:44 AM

[quote]Even now Whoopi makes $8m a year for being on The View. No one ever mentions facts like that.

According to Mo'Nique that's not enough.

"I cried when I heard what my sister was making for doing "The View"..."

by Anonymousreply 132January 20, 2024 9:42 AM

[quote] I think she was right to fire her entire team, because they were feeding her some bad information and not working hard enough for her. Her team was selling her short while at the same time gassing up her influence in the industry to her.

I agree and therefore she must take responsibility for the team that she hired. It sounds like to me that her team was enjoying living off their cut from her rather than doing the work that they were paid to do. How did she monitor and evaluate "her" team? How did she define success for the work that they did for her?

by Anonymousreply 133January 20, 2024 9:49 AM

[quote]She was upset she had to audition NOT because of her Oscar nomination, it's because she was handpicked for the role. Which means she was a known entity production tailored the part of Shug Avery around with the idea that she would be the one playing the part - but she still had to audition for it.

Maybe they wanted her to audition because, even though she was "handpicked for the role," she wasn't known as a singer, and they wanted to be sure she could handle that. Famously, Johnny Depp did not audition for the role of Sweeney Todd, and look (or, rather, hear) what happened there...

by Anonymousreply 134January 20, 2024 1:22 PM

Tedious P Henson.

by Anonymousreply 135January 20, 2024 1:23 PM

[quote]Obviously if she is saying now you're not going to pit two black women against each other when it was she who did it she is a complete loon and negates any point she wanted to make.

Also, her use of the phrase "not on my watch" in regard to this makes her sound like an idiot. That phrase is meant to be used by people who are in decision-making positions of power and authority, but this ignorant, whining woman's whole point is that she was not in such a position on THE COLOR PURPLE, and therefore couldn't pay herself the salary she thought she deserved.

by Anonymousreply 136January 20, 2024 1:26 PM

As an eldergay, I'm about to enter my 7th decade of listening to black people complain about how unfair everything is.

by Anonymousreply 137January 20, 2024 1:30 PM

[quote]Johnny Depp did not audition for the role of Sweeney Todd

Isn't that point?

[quote]As an eldergay, I'm about to enter my 7th decade of listening to black people complain about how unfair everything is.

Just turn your hearing aid off, gramps, if it bothers you so much.

by Anonymousreply 138January 20, 2024 1:33 PM

[quote]Johnny Depp did not audition for the role of Sweeney Todd

[quote]Isn't that point?

Umm...what????

by Anonymousreply 139January 20, 2024 1:42 PM

[quote]As an eldergay, I'm about to enter my 7th decade of listening to black people complain about how unfair everything is.

R137 Are you American? You do realize slavery existed for 244 years in the United States? You do realize it ended only 160 years ago - (less than 100 before you were born). Did you actually think everything would be wrapped up and done in your lifetime? Silly Kid. Guess wisdom doesn't always come with age.

by Anonymousreply 140January 20, 2024 4:52 PM

Now what I’m NOT gonna do is pay to see a Taraji P. Henson movie. Also, who is Taraji P. Henson?

by Anonymousreply 141January 20, 2024 5:11 PM

[quote] Just turn your hearing aid off, gramps, if it bothers you so much.

R138 is an ageist! And this is a good place to recognize that actors in their 60s, 70s and 80s are paid less than their younger colleagues. This shall not stand, and I won’t rest until all actors are paid the same amount despite how old they are.

by Anonymousreply 142January 20, 2024 5:51 PM

And about to enter my 7th decade of not caring!

by Anonymousreply 143January 20, 2024 6:00 PM

Is Taraji P. Henson pro-Palestine?

by Anonymousreply 144January 20, 2024 6:53 PM

R144 isn't it obvious? Taraji P. Henson is pro-Dollarstina.

by Anonymousreply 145January 20, 2024 6:58 PM

She seems incompetent at managing her career. She hired a "team" that was basically taking most of her money and doing nothing.

by Anonymousreply 146January 20, 2024 7:13 PM

R146 She attended the Beyoncé school of wealth management.

That entourage of 300 people is there for her protection, her creative atmosphere, her image, and to keep 298 relatives and childhood friends on a glitzy payroll.

Black pro athletes do the same thing. They spread it around to all their hangers-on, squander every nickel, and then blame Whitey when their checks start to bounce.

by Anonymousreply 147January 20, 2024 7:16 PM

R147 You think Beyonce bounces checks?

You also talk as if white people don’t do this. Maybe you missed the Johnny Depp trial.

by Anonymousreply 148January 20, 2024 7:29 PM

R148 She doesn't yet. But given how she needs six randos to write a song, and given how she and Jay-Z travel with more bodyguards and Prada shoes than the Pope, she surely burns through cash as fast as she earns it.

Celebrities of all races have ridiculous habits, but Beyoncé is in her own galaxy when it comes to wasteful A-lister nonsense. Tom Cruise didn't "rent" an entire floor of a hospital for a childbirth. Adele doesn't travel with ten private chefs when she goes on tour. Nicole Kidman didn't pour $20k worth of champagne into a hot tub just for the shock value.

And no, I didn't really follow the Johnny Depp trial. I work for a living, and couldn't care less who shat in that weirdo's bed.

by Anonymousreply 149January 20, 2024 7:45 PM

R148, Tori Spelling is flat out broke, but doesn't mind being seen living in a trailer and trying to find any work she can.

by Anonymousreply 150January 20, 2024 7:51 PM

R150 I was wondering why she kept referring to herself as "Flat Busted," despite having that ridiculously bulbous body.

by Anonymousreply 151January 20, 2024 7:53 PM

R118 You say box office and post a picture of Patricia Arquette next to it? Uhhh, no.

by Anonymousreply 152January 20, 2024 8:58 PM

[quote]Black pro athletes do the same thing. They spread it around to all their hangers-on, squander every nickel, and then blame Whitey when their checks start to bounce.

That's what Taraji is doing. Her beef is really with her (black) "team" and with Oprah. But she blames it all on "Hollywood," meaning Whitey and the Jews.

by Anonymousreply 153January 20, 2024 9:25 PM

The maff ain't maffin!

by Anonymousreply 154January 20, 2024 9:28 PM

R149 Johnny Depp is an alcoholic. Bey & her ilk are massive narcissists with black abyss-level insecurities.

by Anonymousreply 155January 20, 2024 9:42 PM

[quote]Are you American? You do realize slavery existed for 244 years in the United States? You do realize it ended only 160 years ago - (less than 100 before you were born). Did you actually think everything would be wrapped up and done in your lifetime?

Hon, we've all had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 156January 20, 2024 9:53 PM

R156, I am not saying your haven't had sufficient. I am just saying you're massively dumb if you would think one of the biggest cancers in American since it's founding that has never been directly addressed would go away in your lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 157January 20, 2024 10:15 PM

[quote]Tom Cruise didn't "rent" an entire floor of a hospital for a childbirth. Adele doesn't travel with ten private chefs when she goes on tour. Nicole Kidman didn't pour $20k worth of champagne into a hot tub just for the shock value.

You do know, R149, Beyonce and Jay-Z are worth more than all three of those people put together times 2, don't you? I don't think there is enough champagne in the world for Beyonce to pour down a drain to burn through her money in this lifetime. I don't think you have to be worried about her checks bouncing. Even if half of their money went down the drain, they'd be worth more than Tom Cruise, Adele and Nicole Kidman put together.

by Anonymousreply 158January 20, 2024 10:20 PM

[quote]I don't think there is enough champagne in the world for Beyonce to pour down a drain to burn through her money in this lifetime. I don't think you have to be worried about her checks bouncing

Blacks are underpaid! It ain't mathin'! WAAAAHHHHH!

by Anonymousreply 159January 20, 2024 10:40 PM

Well black female actresses certainly aren't R159. I am sure the top five (if there are that many working today in Hollywood) make as much as their counterparts. Except maybe Zendaya.

by Anonymousreply 160January 20, 2024 10:47 PM

One would think that Taraji might realize that people are just not that into her. She's a consistent actor. That alone is a feat! I don't think that she alone could carry a major feature project alone and that is something that is considered when coming up with salary. From what I have seen of her work most of her performances are in ensemble pieces.

by Anonymousreply 161January 20, 2024 10:52 PM

[quote] I am just saying you're massively dumb if you would think one of the biggest cancers in American since it's founding that has never been directly addressed would go away in your lifetime.

When will someone address the racial problem in this country?

by Anonymousreply 162January 20, 2024 10:53 PM

I back what she is saying as far as her treatment. But Taraji P. Henson is not a good actress, not for the caliber of films she has been able to pull.

by Anonymousreply 163January 20, 2024 10:54 PM

[quote]You do realize slavery existed for 244 years in the United States?

R140 your arguments would be more forceful if you didn’t give the impression that you think the United States was founded in 1619 

by Anonymousreply 164January 20, 2024 11:33 PM

And your points might be more compelling R164, if you were not so dismissive about slavery, it affects, and the damages done that are still present to this very day.

by Anonymousreply 165January 20, 2024 11:36 PM

Taraji P. Henson gets a monthly newsletter which tells her how much white actors are paid.

by Anonymousreply 166January 21, 2024 12:03 AM

[quote] I don't think that she alone could carry a major feature project alone

Have we forgotten the stunning artistic achievement that WAS "Proud Mary?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167January 21, 2024 12:14 AM

[quote] You're massively dumb if you would think one of the biggest cancers in America since its founding that has never been directly addressed would go away in your lifetime.

I think it's foolish to say that slavery "has never been directly addressed," but I would say it is THE biggest, ugliest blot on the entire history of America. Slavery was such a horrific cancer that there can arguably never be full reparation for it, and the country and the world itself may well cease to exist before people are truly able to move past it -- which, in other words, will probably be never.

by Anonymousreply 168January 21, 2024 3:15 AM

R158 So maybe Taraji B. Bitchin’ should demand a few million from Queen Bey and her massive empire. Maybe Bey and Jay should hire a few less furriers and a few more studio executives, and pull a Tyler Perry. Put Black people to work doing something besides combing a rap mogul’s merkins.

by Anonymousreply 169January 21, 2024 7:58 AM

Imagine a truly poor person trying to raise their family on minimum wage reading about this shit. Wanna trade places?

by Anonymousreply 170January 21, 2024 2:50 PM

[quote] one of the biggest cancers in American since it's founding that has never been directly addressed

Slavery has "never" been directly addressed? I'm so sick of hearing about it you'd think it's still a thing.

by Anonymousreply 171January 21, 2024 3:54 PM

[quote]John Sayles seems to have retired from directing, though he's still writing. Woody Allen is not just old, he's shunned. Wes Anderson still makes movies. Who else?

Alexander Payne

PT Anderson

Noah Baumbach

Jordan Peele

Greta Gerwig

Ava Duvernay

by Anonymousreply 172January 21, 2024 4:11 PM

R164 in the territory that would become the United States has had slavery since 1619. The first slaves in North America arrived in 1619.

by Anonymousreply 173January 21, 2024 6:42 PM

WTF does her bitchery have to do with slavery?

by Anonymousreply 174January 21, 2024 9:36 PM

R174, most people would say it has nothing to do with it, but Taraji might disagree.

by Anonymousreply 175January 21, 2024 9:43 PM

Not as many people want to watch black actors in lead roles. Basic math really.

by Anonymousreply 176January 21, 2024 10:03 PM

[quote]Have we forgotten the stunning artistic achievement that WAS "Proud Mary?"

I'm familiar with this "project" I just read a little about it and it comes across as if it is a bad rewrite of the film "Gloria" that starred Gena Rowlands

by Anonymousreply 177January 21, 2024 10:31 PM

[quote]Not as many people want to watch black actors in lead roles. Basic math really.

I don't think that's true. "Black Panther" was nowhere near only Black dollars

Budget: 200 million USD (2016)

Box office: 1.344 billion USD (As of May 22, 2018)

by Anonymousreply 178January 21, 2024 10:36 PM

[quote]I'm *NOT* familiar with this "project" I

by Anonymousreply 179January 21, 2024 11:02 PM

My pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 180January 21, 2024 11:26 PM

R178 I suspect the folks attached to that movie now command a lot of money. As they should. It's not about race, it's about revenue.

by Anonymousreply 181January 22, 2024 12:56 AM

[quote] I suspect the folks attached to that movie now command a lot of money. As they should. It's not about race, it's about revenue.

They don't. No one even remembers who was in that movie, outside of Chadwick Boseman, who's dead, and Michael B. Jordan, who had his own franchise with Creed before Black Panther ever came out. The women are interchangeable and worth even less than Taraji.

by Anonymousreply 182January 22, 2024 1:19 AM

[quote]Maybe Bey and Jay should hire a few less furriers and a few more studio executives, and pull a Tyler Perry.

Like Tyler Perry? You mean make your first millions doing non-equity theater tours pay everyone shit, then open a studio paying almost EVERYONE union scale and film an entire season of an hour-long show in three weeks because you run your sets like a plantation?

Not one Hollywood mogul like Jack Warner or Louis B. Mayer had the skin flinty balls to get away with what Perry does!

by Anonymousreply 183January 22, 2024 1:30 AM

R178 There’s always going to be outliers and Black Panther is one of them. A lot of that success has more to do with Marvel than it does featuring black actors. In general, black actors just don’t attract people to movie theaters. They’re paid what they’re worth. The math IS mathing.

by Anonymousreply 184January 22, 2024 1:37 AM

R174, read the thread - or at least jump to r137 and read from there. R137 introduces how tired he is of hearing people like Taraji complain after his nearly 70 years on earth. I was stating how foolish he was to think he would ever hear the end of it in his life time considering how long black issues have existed compared to his measly time on earth. So him being tired of black people complaining really doesn't register in the bigger picture.

by Anonymousreply 185January 22, 2024 7:35 AM

He's not 70. He's entering his 7th decade, which would likely make him 60. Shit, I'm in my 7th decade and I'm only in my early-mid 50s.

by Anonymousreply 186January 22, 2024 7:39 AM

Whatever age he is R186, he lacks the wisdom of it to think the way he does.

by Anonymousreply 187January 22, 2024 7:42 AM

[quote] No one even remembers who was in that movie, outside of Chadwick Boseman, who's dead, and Michael B. Jordan, who had his own franchise with Creed before Black Panther ever came out. The women are interchangeable and worth even less than Taraji.

Yes, Angela Bassett is a complete unknown who no one has every heard of.. Groan...

by Anonymousreply 188January 22, 2024 7:47 AM

If she had been smart, she would have gotten Oprah to pay for an Uber to take her to the welfare office to sign up on food stamps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189January 22, 2024 8:28 AM

I'm with you R40, plus she's a damn fine actor.

by Anonymousreply 190January 22, 2024 10:03 AM

Taraji P Henson is a phenomenal dramatic actor/-blacks are just expected to down play their blackness unless their from New York.

by Anonymousreply 191January 22, 2024 11:46 AM

Like gender pay gap in sports, there's not really much that can be done with pay gap with actors. People "the public" want to see men's sports and women just can't compete with that public draw. Actors are the same. Certain people have more star power and can command higher pay. I feel for small time actors that scrape by regardless of race or gender. Someone that makes as much money as Taraji P Henson doesn't tug at my heart strings. They're all overpaid!!

by Anonymousreply 192January 22, 2024 12:13 PM

[quote][R178] There’s always going to be outliers and Black Panther is one of them.

Talkies were outliers. Female actors were outliers at one point. People must be exposed and become inured to difficult and new things. What if it were mandatory (yes, think affirmative action) that the entertainment industry must commit to "X" percentage of minority projects (and not just african-american) every season? New stars and markets will be discovered and hopefully grow.

by Anonymousreply 193January 22, 2024 5:04 PM

[qoute]Like Tyler Perry? You mean make your first millions doing non-equity theater tours pay everyone shit, then open a studio paying almost EVERYONE union scale and film an entire season of an hour-long show in three weeks because you run your sets like a plantation? Not one Hollywood mogul like Jack Warner or Louis B. Mayer had the skin flinty balls to get away with what Perry does!

BRAVO, R183! BRAVO!!!

by Anonymousreply 194January 22, 2024 5:09 PM

R183 R194

I mean, Jack Warner and LB Mayer also molested dozens of starlets and ruined the career of anyone they deemed too ugly, too colored, too queer, or too Red to make it in their town.

by Anonymousreply 195January 22, 2024 5:22 PM

On a Business Insider list of top-paid actors, Will Smith was #2. He got $100,000,000 for MIB 3.

TH should talk to him and his agent for tips.

by Anonymousreply 196January 22, 2024 5:22 PM

[quote]I mean, Jack Warner and LB Mayer also molested dozens of starlets and ruined the career of anyone they deemed too ugly, too colored, too queer, or too Red to make it in their town.

Here's a fan piece to read...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197January 22, 2024 5:37 PM

R195, Harry Cohn grabbed 10 times the pussy Mayer did. Jeannette MacDonald kept Louis B. busy for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 198January 22, 2024 5:39 PM

[quote]Here's a fan piece to read...

OH GOSH! I really shouldn't try to work, eat lunch, post intermittently on DL, while listening to MSNBC, all at the same time. I'm NOT as young as I used to be!!!

"FUN PIECE"

by Anonymousreply 199January 22, 2024 5:47 PM

[quote] Yes, Angela Bassett is a complete unknown who no one has every heard of.. Groan...

We were talking about the first one, not the sequel. In the first one, she's barely in it. But thanks for boring everyone.

by Anonymousreply 200January 22, 2024 5:50 PM

[quote]We were talking about the first one, not the sequel. In the first one, she's barely in it. But thanks for boring everyone.

But her costume and the inspiration she pulled from it made her role memorable! Take it from someone who did not see the sequel--and it had nothing to do with Black actors, etc. I'm just really not a "movie" person

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201January 22, 2024 5:58 PM

Black movies are like gay movies. Most people don't care. It's just a fact of life that audiences want to relate.

Also, there's the question of international markets. Chinese people stay away from Black movies in droves (I don't even think gay movies are shown there). That market is so massive that it bends the way producers think about casting their movies.

But above and beyond all that, movies producers are an industry's CEO of sorts. They are not and are under no obligation to be SJW's who are more devoted to making social change than making money. Judging from the recent and quite obvious casting changes, where you find a LOT of POC in many roles previously given to Whites, I think they're doing a pretty decent job of inclusion.

by Anonymousreply 202January 22, 2024 5:58 PM

[quote]Black movies are like gay movies.

Most of them are badly written, IMHO. I've been watching TUBI, and it seems to have a rather extensive gay catalogue of which I have been watching. I cannot believe how badly written most of them are. We won't go into the acting. I'm finding this surprising because there are SO many great/fantastic gay and Black stories that can be told and need to be told.

by Anonymousreply 203January 22, 2024 6:04 PM

R193 Mandating percentages or quotas doesn't work. The market has always and will always dictate what major movies get made. It is what it is. Keep writing those scripts, keep pitching, keep auditioning, keep networking. Progress can be made. No one likes a mandate in the creative industries.

by Anonymousreply 204January 22, 2024 8:20 PM

Hoes pleae. How do you explain the success of Tyler Perry films. Will Smith, Martin Lawrence, Denzel Washington, Taraji P Henson sans CP, Morgan Freeman, Samuel L Jackson, Beyonce Knowles Carter.

by Anonymousreply 205January 22, 2024 8:23 PM

R205 Strong talent shines through for sure.

by Anonymousreply 206January 22, 2024 8:38 PM

I'll give Tyler Perry credit in that he provides JOBS for Black actors. Some of his films I have enjoyed but... IMHO, Tyler should do better. From my understanding is that pays as low as he can, and he works his actors to near death. 3 days to shoot a major motion picture? Working folks for nearly 24 hours straight? Nah...

by Anonymousreply 207January 22, 2024 8:45 PM

R193 So you wanna shove black movies down our throats? Yeah that’ll go over well with the general public.

by Anonymousreply 208January 22, 2024 8:47 PM

[quote][R193] So you wanna shove black movies down our throats? Yeah that’ll go over well with the general public.

No one is shoving anything down your throat. The projects will get done and if they are done well then, the audience will find it

by Anonymousreply 209January 22, 2024 8:54 PM

Taraji must have viewed that rental car as a MAJOR Disrespectin'.

by Anonymousreply 210January 22, 2024 10:54 PM

The interview is long but I'll only post what she says about the money. The full interview is via the link

You said that on “The Color Purple,” the cast received rental cars but not drivers. You helped get proper transportation and security for everybody on set.

Henson: I guess they expected me to drive in Atlanta, where they’re robbing and stealing left and right. I’m like, this could be an insurance liability. I can’t just drive myself around like that. It’s easier to do in LA because it’s a lifestyle here. They’re used to seeing us here. You start going to southern states and, things like that, it could get really dangerous. You don’t know. People think they know you, especially the character that I portray. That’s what I was explaining to them. I was like, people have this affinity for Cookie [in “Empire”]. They think they know Cookie. And when they see me? I’ve been hit. I’ve been hugged when unwarranted. People have invaded my personal space because they think they know me because of this character. And I said, “That’s dangerous.” What do I look like, traipsing around Georgia trying to find a location by myself in weird hours of the night or in the morning at WeWork.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211January 22, 2024 11:13 PM

What happened next?

Henson: My team, we were so frustrated. I was like, “I don’t understand the thinking here.” And then they came back to my team and were like, “If we do it for you, we got to do it for everybody.” Well, you should do it for everybody. Do it. Why wouldn’t you? Don’t you want to make sure your actors get to set safely? I don’t live in Atlanta. I don’t know where I’m going. Turn the wrong road, you might not come back home. I hate to say that, but that’s the world we live in. I’m not a gaudy person. I don’t live out beyond my means. I still go to the grocery store myself. I still cook. I don’t have a chef. I don’t have a chauffeur. I drive myself to the grocery store and I buy my own groceries. I can’t even afford an assistant right now to go do that. And I would love to have an assistant help me with other stuff, but I still like buying my own groceries. If you bring me the wrong lemon and it’s dried up
 I want to pick my produce!

by Anonymousreply 212January 22, 2024 11:15 PM

Tyler is not working people to death. I’m so sick of black Twitter and these losers. Get a fkin job. Do you really think Tyler is working any actors or employees more than any set standard provided by labor laws and the state of Georgia. Fucking crabs in a barrel ass cunts. If he was white he would be deemed excellently efficient and innovative for the filmmaking process. But black Twitter just drags any fucking rumor or innuendo and runs away with it. It’s the same reason why a basic bitch like Taylor Swift, whom I adore, but come on she is not exceptionally phenomenal is breaking all type of records because stupid ass black people have demonized successful black singers for the past 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 213January 22, 2024 11:17 PM

R210 It is weird for an actor to be driving themselves to and from the set, especially the principle cast. She made an excellent point because the crime in Atlanta is off the chain. I still say this should not have been a topic of conversation for the promotion. But everything about this promotion was negative. You point out pay discrepancies during the release of a major bomb you starred. Maybe be positive and make sure the movie made bank first ya big dummy.

by Anonymousreply 214January 22, 2024 11:21 PM

I still like to live some normalcy in my life because of the characters I play. If I remove myself from society so much, then how can I be in touch with these characters? My point is that I’m not some woman who asks for the moon. The whole point is we want to get this movie done in a timely manner with no hiccups and no issues. So wouldn’t that behoove you to have your talent show up safe and unscathed and in one piece.

To some producers that’s a revelatory idea.

Henson: When you’re crunching numbers, I guess people get nervous. That just didn’t make sense to me, and I know this is what you do for other productions. It seems like every time it’s a predominantly Black production, all of a sudden there’s no money, and I’ve been hearing it my entire career.

I’ve said all this before. I wrote a book, for God’s sakes, in 2016. I talked about it on “The View.” I’ve talked about it on national television. I’m not the only one. Look up any woman of color in this industry. She’s said the same thing. I’m tired of us having the same conversation. For whatever reason, everybody wanted to listen this time. But it’s not like I’m saying anything new.

How do you put your words to action going forward, in terms of both your own career and continuing to open doors for others?

Henson: I could have taken a bullet for speaking up. I could’ve been shunned, shut out. I was nervous. But what I do know is the only way you make change is if you speak up, and that’s what I’m here to do, because why else am I doing this? If I’m not making it better for those coming up behind me, then I’m a selfish person. What am I doing it for? I’m standing on the shoulders of my ancestors who took bullets for me to be here. You understand? So what makes me better than my ancestors?

You’ve spoken many times about how you were paid only $150,000 for “Benjamin Button” as the third-billed actress in the film, compared to the half a million you were expecting compared to your co-stars.

Henson: The only person in this industry who’s treated me like I felt I needed to be treated was Tyler Perry. The man gave me my first quote. When I didn’t have a quote, and when they did me how they did me on “Benjamin,” I had no power. I saw the bigger picture later. Years later, my quote quadrupled. Tyler Perry had another movie for me to star in, “Acrimony.” When I’m fighting, I’m fighting just to get what I got the last time. I’m not even fighting for a raise. Each and every time I go into negotiations, and it’s like, you know what I got paid the last time. Why are you acting like I’m going to take less? That’s what I mean. It’s insulting and it hurts my freaking feelings. When Tyler Perry came in, he said I know you’re not worth $500,000 now, but what is your quote now? He paid it right up. He sent his private jet. He made sure I had a driver and security the entire time.

by Anonymousreply 215January 22, 2024 11:24 PM

The more I read the more I hear her frustration. She was just frustrated and it can break your soul. Because it’s not just the movie industry. In every aspect of professional life blacks are treated less than. It can becormvery soul crushing. And then you have stupid self hating crabs in barrel blacks. Omg there were so many of them in the Navy. I digress.

by Anonymousreply 216January 22, 2024 11:34 PM

[quote] It is weird for an actor to be driving themselves to and from the set, especially the principle cast.

Tell us again how you went to college, Teafake.

by Anonymousreply 217January 22, 2024 11:35 PM

R217 You are so pretentious and cunty. You are not even cunt. You are cunty. And ya mammy was at my graduation hoe. That’s the college I went to.

by Anonymousreply 218January 22, 2024 11:41 PM

Was she the "principle" of the college?

by Anonymousreply 219January 22, 2024 11:42 PM

R219 😂 touchĂ© you fucking grammar Nazi. Touche bitch.

by Anonymousreply 220January 22, 2024 11:44 PM

So Bored

by Anonymousreply 221January 23, 2024 4:31 AM

[quote]Do you really think Tyler is working any actors or employees more than any set standard provided by labor laws and the state of Georgia.

Tyler pays very well. I hear he even has hot black actors on call with six figure salaries who just come over, drop their pants and bend over his desk when he needs them. Who else in the industry is paying that much with benefits just for ass?

by Anonymousreply 222January 23, 2024 7:53 AM

Oscar snubs Color Purple. On track to become a major box office bomb.

Future generations will look back at how a single actress tore Oprah's playhouse down.

Will she work again?

by Anonymousreply 223January 23, 2024 2:05 PM

[quote]Oscar snubs Color Purple. On track to become a major box office bomb.

Oprah fails again at the box office

[quote]Will she work again?

She just might not. If the Oprah machine puts into action that her self-created controversary halted the momentum of the film, well... But this is probably going to take down the Director and a few others too.

by Anonymousreply 224January 23, 2024 2:17 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 225January 23, 2024 2:23 PM

Now, now, R225, don't forget- he also pretends to be black.

by Anonymousreply 226January 23, 2024 4:52 PM

"especially the principle cast"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 227January 23, 2024 7:37 PM

Didnt r225 agree to leave this board permanently is so voted by the members? He lost the vote and yet here he is. He is the white Teabag.

by Anonymousreply 228January 23, 2024 8:54 PM

R225 There is nothing dumb about me. I’m not even entertaining the rest of your rant you bitter ass bitch. You are such a BAB. And that’s how the fuck you will be referred to from here on out. Now crawl yo lonely ass back to whatever fucking cave you begged and pleaded for your owners to let you out of.

To everyone else on the thread: Did this hoe really think I was going read his entire post? Epic failure.

by Anonymousreply 229January 23, 2024 9:08 PM

Black it up, Teafake, really get in there and make everyone believe you're actually white!

by Anonymousreply 230January 24, 2024 3:36 AM

Oprah cannot STAND that black audiences clearly reject the films she'd like them to like like The Color Purple and Beloved, yet they flock to Tyler Perry's Chitlin' Circuit output like Madea.

by Anonymousreply 231January 24, 2024 5:31 AM

Whatever Tyler Perry pays, it's weird that a complete stranger like Meghan Markle rang him up and whined and he sent his private jet to fly her to his house and let them stay there.

by Anonymousreply 232January 24, 2024 5:35 AM

R232 Not that weird. Perry is a notorious star-fucker. Look how he sucked up to Oprah before they went into business together.

by Anonymousreply 233January 24, 2024 1:17 PM

[quote][R232] Not that weird. Perry is a notorious star-fucker. Look how he sucked up to Oprah before they went into business together.

It's one of the primary reasons that Diana Ross... Miss Ross, will have nothing to do with him

by Anonymousreply 234January 24, 2024 1:21 PM

The peasants...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235January 24, 2024 1:26 PM

R235 Who the fuck WOULD take his call? All the Black Karens in Atlanta whose ticket purchases keep him in business? His gay escorts?

by Anonymousreply 236January 24, 2024 3:19 PM

R232 A film like this needed white people. A general mainstream audience. Look at the numbers. Lots of black people went to see this. It’s hovering over 60 mil but it cost100 mil to make. I’m sure a sprinkle of whites in the big cities went to see it. Taraji ruined the narrative. Foresight black people foresight.

However I’ve been there before myself. Racism is so disturbing it can make you lose foresight.

by Anonymousreply 237January 24, 2024 4:09 PM

Oops my comment above was meant for r231.

by Anonymousreply 238January 24, 2024 4:22 PM

[quote] However I’ve been there before myself. Racism is so disturbing it can make you lose foresight.

Sure you have, hon. Sure you have.

by Anonymousreply 239January 24, 2024 4:45 PM

Is it racism if I’m just not interested in spending money to see it right now?

I will wait for it to stream for free, and suck a few BBC whist doing so!

by Anonymousreply 240January 24, 2024 4:46 PM

R239 Loser.

by Anonymousreply 241January 24, 2024 4:56 PM

Interview starts at 2:30 min. It's pretty good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242January 24, 2024 5:29 PM

The Color Purple (2023) is a really bad movie. The poppy songs which may have sounded OK on a stylized Broadway stage are completely out of place in the realistic movie sets. Fantasia Barrino delivers a flat character, especially when compared to Whoopi's heartbreaking performance which we all remember. The musical numbers stop the story in its tracks instead of propelling it forward. And let's not talk about the costumes. Taraji wears a dress that's straight out of Dynasty in the 1947 closing act which, if you heard the nightmare stories about the wardrobe situation on this picture, you'll understand why it wasn't even a remote contender for any costume design awards.

by Anonymousreply 243January 24, 2024 7:59 PM

I didn't "get" the original film, but my mom says that's because it's a story of, for, and about women. Men can watch the film and understand it, she said, but it resonates more deeply with women.

by Anonymousreply 244January 24, 2024 8:11 PM

[quote]The Color Purple (2023) is a really bad movie.

IMHO, it was badly cast. While Fantasia is a very good singer (if one likes that Patti LaBelle style) her appeal is somewhat limited. Sure, she did the play (and I thought she gained a horrible work record from her run) but what movie appeal did she have? What was her "Q" rating?. The girl that plays Sophia, I don't know her but was Gabriel Sidibe considered.

by Anonymousreply 245January 24, 2024 8:44 PM

R245 Are you drunk on Blotto Brothers boxed wine again?

That’s Danielle Brooks, Grammy-winning singer/actress. She attended Juilliard, played a popular role on Netflix’s “Orange is the New Black,” and holds nominations for Emmy’s, a Tony, and an Academy Award.

Gabrielle Sidibe has barely worked since Ryan Murphy ditched her.

by Anonymousreply 246January 24, 2024 10:57 PM

[quote]That’s Danielle Brooks, Grammy-winning singer/actress. She attended Juilliard, played a popular role on Netflix’s “Orange is the New Black,” and holds nominations for Emmy’s, a Tony, and an Academy Award.

Sorry. I don't know who she is. While I know of it, I've never seen "Orange is the New Black"

by Anonymousreply 247January 24, 2024 11:17 PM

R130 , Oprah used the words "making less" but didn't say whether it was less than she was used to making (for TV) or less than other supporting actors. I don't know how many days' work the filming required of her. She was definitely not in the know-your-worth camp.

by Anonymousreply 248January 25, 2024 1:03 AM

I don't know if this is true or not given the postings here about Tyler Perry, but I very recently heard... OH! It was a Roland Martin YouTube clip and now I found an article, anyway... he paid her $1M for one day's work because she was so underpaid for the work that she had done over her lifetime. For example, she was only paid $6K for her Oscar nominated role "Sounder"

While I have found the article linked below, who knows if it is true or not. Cicely Tyson was dead when the article was published and so this could all be Perry's publicity machine at work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249January 25, 2024 1:21 AM

[quote]Bi scum who pretends to be "gay" is all you are

This is not the thread for you to be working through your issues about who DLers have sex with.

I'm not sure such a thread exists, but this definitely isn't it.

by Anonymousreply 250January 25, 2024 1:54 AM

A number of very high earning actors take substantial pay cuts for passion projects or donate large portions of their salary to others on the crew (non-actors(. Keanu Reeves is quite famous for doing this. Of course he is also noted for being the highest paid actor ever for the Matrix series. He's not a particularly good actor in my opinion, but for some reason he has mass appeal. I guess he's white adjacent (Asian/white). Will Smith makes $20-30 million for his projects because they have massive universal appeal. Poor Taraji P. Henson only made $10 million for Color Purple, but she reminds people that she had to pay taxes on that and pay some of her personal staff. Imagine that! Perhaps she overestimate her worth.

by Anonymousreply 251January 25, 2024 3:40 AM

[quote]Will Smith makes $20-30 million for his projects because they have massive universal appeal.

Ummm...Have you heard the news?

by Anonymousreply 252January 25, 2024 4:20 AM

Should the money she wants be pulled out of thin air?

by Anonymousreply 253January 25, 2024 4:46 AM

[quote]What am I doing it for? I’m standing on the shoulders of my ancestors who took bullets for me to be here. You understand?

Who the hell was shooting at Step'in Fetchit and Hattie McDaniel???

by Anonymousreply 254January 25, 2024 5:31 AM

She got paid 10 million for the Color Purple r251? I never heard the exact amount. But yes, that sounds about right concerning her worth, it not a bit on the high side.

by Anonymousreply 255January 25, 2024 9:30 AM

She made ten mil for CP? She needs to shut that mafuckin mouth. Because that’s exactly what she deserves and I would pay her even for a film in which she is the main protagonist. This might be her Mommie Dearest moment.

by Anonymousreply 256January 25, 2024 9:36 AM

R255 R256

"The financial intricacies of the entertainment business became apparent as Henson delved into the complexities of earnings. Even with a substantial $10 million paycheck, she highlighted the significant deductions, including the substantial cut taken by taxes and the percentage allocated to her team."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257January 25, 2024 9:48 AM

That gal didn't get paid anywhere near $10M. If she got $3M she would be ahead

[quote]Henson charge for an event. An example fee to book Taraji P. Henson is in the starting range of $150,000-$299,000

by Anonymousreply 258January 25, 2024 9:50 AM

I'm really doubting that she got $10 million for CP. That's a very large amount, even today. Yeah, there's actors who pull even more than that, but that's a select few. Though people were questioning the large CP budget. Still, I'm doubtful.

by Anonymousreply 259January 25, 2024 10:01 AM

R259 I think she did because of inflation and promotional she is the lead.

by Anonymousreply 260January 25, 2024 10:04 AM

[quote][R259] I think she did because of inflation and promotional she is the lead.

She got nowhere near $10M. When she had her meltdown, she used the $10M figure as an example to illustrate how even at that level it is not enough left over after taxes, and everyone else get their cut, that goes into the bank of the performer. Remember (in one of these articles here) she cries because she can't even afford to have a personal assistant. My guess is that her salary fell somewhere between $750K-$1.5M. Okay... maybe she $2M.

by Anonymousreply 261January 25, 2024 10:20 AM

I see no reference for the amount she made for The Color Purple other than the $10M quoted from Medium.

I see an article in Playbill were she quoted crying:

"It seems every time I do something and I break another glass ceiling, when it comes time to renegotiate, I'm at the bottom again...I'm tired," she said through tears, adding that 50 percent of her salary goes to taxes and 30 percent goes to her "team" (usually agents and managers).

If she is really paying her "team" 30% and another 50% is going to taxes, perhaps she would benefit from a Jewish accountant!

by Anonymousreply 262January 25, 2024 10:36 AM

Once again, the $10M was an illustrative example (of which this "Medium" source is probably misquoting) of why she feels that even that amount is not enough and therefore what she is making is definitely not enough (or fair). It was some movie that she did with Brad Pitt (and he was paid $10M) whereas she was paid only $150K for her OSCAR nominated performance. She's been fighting for increases ever since that time.

Then she overdramatizes. The highest tax bracket in the USA is 37% (still a lot but better than 50%) and she just wanted sympathy. My guess is that she had to write some checks that day and before the interview, and thus her agitated state.

[quote]perhaps she would benefit from a Jewish accountant!

Please don't do that....

by Anonymousreply 263January 25, 2024 10:49 AM

[quote]"It seems every time I do something and I break another glass ceiling, when it comes time to renegotiate, I'm at the bottom again...I'm tired,

As someone on the lower tier of show business, who has had a few big successes, this is true for everyone, regardless of color. It's the job of the negotiator to get you to do the project for as little as possible. It's their job.

She thinks that things that happen to everybody only happen to her because of her color.

by Anonymousreply 264January 25, 2024 12:28 PM

[quote]Taraji P. Henson breaks down in tears while discussing how black actors are underpaid

This used to be known as "crying all the way to the bank," Miss Star.

by Anonymousreply 265January 25, 2024 1:10 PM

[quote] I think she did because of inflation and promotional she is the lead.

She wasn't the lead in TCP you fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 266January 25, 2024 2:28 PM

R266. Who the fuck do you think you are talking 2. I suggest you pipe down. I strongly suggest it. Promotionally she is the lead not thematically or story wise you fkin cunt. Don’t ever come at me again that way. In real life your shit would be pushed in. Do you understand me bitch?

by Anonymousreply 267January 25, 2024 2:39 PM

[quote] Will Smith makes $20-30 million for his projects

Again, Smith made $100,000,000 for MIB. Only a few women are in this list. Straight men avoid “chick flicks”. This could be part of the issue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268January 25, 2024 2:55 PM

^MIB 3. $100,000,000 in part bc of ticket sales

by Anonymousreply 269January 25, 2024 2:56 PM

R269 That's typically the case for any actor getting such massive compensation for a film. The most lucrative contracts for the actors are for films where they get a percentage of the profit. There was a recent film that Will Smith was in where he got $20M upfront and was supposed to get a percentage of box office. With COVID, the studio released it directly to HBO. They gave Will a $40M bonus to compensate him for lack of ticket sales.

by Anonymousreply 270January 25, 2024 4:03 PM

[quote]If she is really paying her "team" 30% and another 50% is going to taxes, perhaps she would benefit from a Jewish accountant!

She’s lying. She’s not paying anything near that. Numbers aren’t her strong suit.

by Anonymousreply 271January 25, 2024 5:28 PM

[quote] Who the fuck do you think you are talking 2. I suggest you pipe down. I strongly suggest it. Promotionally she is the lead not thematically or story wise you fkin cunt. Don’t ever come at me again that way. In real life your shit would be pushed in. Do you understand me bitch?

Shut the fuck up, you performative white bitch.

by Anonymousreply 272January 25, 2024 7:25 PM

Looks like she spent the 10M on her classy make-up room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273January 26, 2024 12:42 AM

Like Viola she will never be satisfied until someone gives her the same career as Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts. As though the moviegoing public across the world was made to watch the films of those white actresses by force.

by Anonymousreply 274January 26, 2024 5:27 AM

How much she charge to sit on my big glass table and take a large, steaming shit while me and several of my friends watch from below? If she will eat a can of corn beforehand, we will pay extra!!!!

by Anonymousreply 275January 26, 2024 8:20 AM

Give her as much as you give the white ladies Danny, and as she is basically full of shit, she'll give you a banquet.

by Anonymousreply 276January 27, 2024 7:56 AM

The biggest actors, except for very very few, pull 10 million salaries for movies anymore. Movies don't pay what they used to pre-covid. That is why every actor under the sun is going to streaming (except those handful who can still command those salaries) because streaming pay is ALL upfront and nothing backend. You make your 5 million dollar salary and keep it moving. That's why you see Meryl doing Only Murders in the Building.

by Anonymousreply 277January 27, 2024 9:38 AM

That’s ideal for Meryl since she’s old. She wants paid upfront rather than waiting years for “backend” payouts. She’s not going to live forever.

by Anonymousreply 278January 27, 2024 10:17 AM

Meryl only wishes she could get someone to give her some “backend” payouts. That hole looks like the Holland Tunnel at this point.

by Anonymousreply 279January 27, 2024 11:18 AM

The big stars of the 90s took a low fee in exchange for a piece of the back end. Nicholson did it with Batman, and made $100 million. Tom Hanks did it with Forrest Gump, and made enough to reboot Rita. Call it the Spielberg Strategy.

But of course, by now, the studio leeches and crooked accountants know how to slice it up so badly that this model no longer offers reliable payouts.

This filthy, crooked, artless business does this to itself.

by Anonymousreply 280January 27, 2024 12:49 PM

[quote]Like Viola she will never be satisfied until someone gives her the same career as Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts.

Viola is told by many that she is the Black Meryl Streep. I believe that even Meryl Streep herself considers Davis a fantastic actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281January 27, 2024 3:14 PM

[quote]Call it the Spielberg Strategy.

Nope. It's old. I recall that Bette Davis and Joan Crawford both agreed to backend deals for "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" because their pay was so low. It's one of the reasons why Bette was FURIOUS with Joan when she hijacked her OSCAR performance for the film. It could have meant more money in each of their pockets.

But I believe backend deals go as far back as the film industry itself. I think that Charlie Chaplin opted for backend deals for many of his films.

by Anonymousreply 282January 27, 2024 3:36 PM

[quote]But of course, by now, the studio leeches and crooked accountants know how to slice it up so badly that this model no longer offers reliable payouts.

Yep. Just ask Art Buchwald and his experience with "Coming to America". The movie did $288M in ticket sales but according to Paramount it had no "net" profits" and therefore there was no money for Artie.

by Anonymousreply 283January 27, 2024 3:44 PM

Viola is the black Meryl in that they’re dramatic actresses with gravitas but no range. They can only play self righteous no matter the socioeconomic background, class, setting. Anyone know what I mean?

by Anonymousreply 284January 27, 2024 7:07 PM

No, Teacake. As usual, you're spouting nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 285January 27, 2024 7:19 PM

Meryl is the most overrated actress of all time.

by Anonymousreply 286January 27, 2024 7:20 PM

R285 Please let’s start anew. You’ve entered this thread with bias. Hi, how are you?

by Anonymousreply 287January 27, 2024 7:21 PM

Teacake is the whitest DL'er of all time.

by Anonymousreply 288January 27, 2024 7:21 PM

Don't feed the troll.

by Anonymousreply 289January 27, 2024 7:24 PM

R281 She is a very good actress (I don't use actor) but she's exhausting. Needy and unable to recognize her own limitations as a "star".

by Anonymousreply 290January 27, 2024 8:30 PM

[quote]The biggest actors, except for very very few, pull 10 million salaries for movies anymore.

Holy crap, do you maybe want to try that again? In English?

by Anonymousreply 291January 28, 2024 3:36 AM

[quote]The biggest actors, except for very very few, pull 10 million salaries for movies anymore.

[quote]Holy crap, do you maybe want to try that again? In English?

Right? Maybe this:

[quote]Nobody gets paid $10 million for a movie anymore, except for a very very few, only the biggest actors.

An interesting claim, as rewritten. Tried to untangle the syntax but I've no way of knowing (1) if that's what was meant, (2) if the statement's true, or (3) what evidence could prove or disprove it.

by Anonymousreply 292January 28, 2024 4:04 AM

they should spun Cookie off into her own series.

by Anonymousreply 293January 28, 2024 4:26 AM

They should do a reality show where Viola Davis joins an improv team, and over ten weeks they try to make her funny. It could end in a live sketch comedy improv night at Upright Citizens Brigade, or one of those places. It would be a smash hit!

by Anonymousreply 294January 28, 2024 5:33 PM

That would be as easy as trying to make her climb the Burj Khalifa without ropes.

by Anonymousreply 295January 28, 2024 7:49 PM

[quote]Like Viola she will never be satisfied until someone gives her the same career as Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts.

I don't think that's fair and hints of bigotry putting Viola and Taraji on a similar level, IMHO. They are not. Whether she likes it or not, Taraji is really known only in the African-American community. Just look at her work. Most of her projects are tailored for and geared to the African-American community. Viola Davis and her work are much more universal and inclusive.

by Anonymousreply 296January 30, 2024 3:20 AM

R296 That’s not true at all. She has actually had more mainstream success than V. but I won’t front V is probably more well known in white household because of M.’s fangurling. But Taraji is wildly popular among white fraus.

by Anonymousreply 297January 31, 2024 12:09 AM

V has never lead a film that made over 100 mil nor has her hit tv show ever cracked top 10 tv ratings. Lemme run you Taraji’s credits:

Empire Hidden Figures 4 Brothers Hustle & Flow Think Like A Man 1 and 2 What Men Want Color Purple musical

by Anonymousreply 298January 31, 2024 12:14 AM

Oh and how could I forget Benjamin Button.

by Anonymousreply 299January 31, 2024 12:19 AM

[quote] V has never lead a film that made over 100 mil nor has her hit tv show ever cracked top 10 tv ratings. Lemme run you Taraji’s credits: Empire Hidden Figures 4 Brothers Hustle & Flow Think Like A Man 1 and 2 What Men Want Color Purple musical

That's mighty white of you, Teafake.

by Anonymousreply 300January 31, 2024 12:44 AM

And why do black actors often use middle initials?

Was there another actress with the same name as Taraji?

by Anonymousreply 301January 31, 2024 8:26 AM

[quote]But Taraji is wildly popular among white fraus.

No. I’ve literally never heard a white frau mention Taraji P Henson.

by Anonymousreply 302January 31, 2024 8:58 AM

Yes, R301, on the Muppet Show.

by Anonymousreply 303January 31, 2024 1:13 PM

R55- I agree. Another excellent example of this.

Spike Lee-CONSTANTLY complaining about his treatment by Hollywood even though he’s long since successful, rich and famous .

He has a fuckin chip on his shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 304January 31, 2024 1:27 PM

R290- I like you already.

Jane Fonda is NOT an ACTOR

she’s an ACTRESS.

by Anonymousreply 305January 31, 2024 1:30 PM

R235- He does not look heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 306January 31, 2024 1:33 PM

R55, Doll, everyone in Hollywood complains about Hollywood except for the people at the top making all of the money. And they usually have a valid reason. It's not just "Black Bitches" as you put it. White women complain they aren't getting paid equally even though they are making millions of dollars sometimes. Men and women complain about sexual abuse. Gay whine a straight is cast in a gay part or there isn't enough representation. You all act like what she has to say is coming completely out of left field. I think what pushed Taraji over the edge in this case was that it was her own people in Hollywood doing it to her.

If you and your best friend went in on a Lottery ticket and it hit for fifty million dollars, and he gave you three million because he was in possession of the ticket, I am sure your ass would be whining too - even with three million in the bank. You wouldn't just shut up and be happy about your millions.

by Anonymousreply 307January 31, 2024 1:48 PM

I love her because I'm a diehard fan of [italic]Person of Interest[/italic]. Also, she was a lot of fun on [italic]Empire[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 308February 1, 2024 12:10 AM

[quote] I think what pushed Taraji over the edge in this case was that it was her own people in Hollywood doing it to her.

I posted something similar to this earlier. She had to write out some checks and pay her people. It is this that got under her skin and she got pissed over all that was "going out".

by Anonymousreply 309February 1, 2024 11:02 AM

She’s pissed that big fat Oprah told her “drive yourself”.

by Anonymousreply 310February 1, 2024 11:07 AM

[quote]She’s pissed that big fat Oprah told her “drive yourself”.

Well, I would like to know who is in charge. Roland Martin picked up on this and I feel it has not been investigated enough. What company won the bid for transportation services, and shouldn't an experienced transport company know about the security risks etc?

From my various readings there were a number of set issues requiring the Miss Oprah intervention

[quote]Shortly after, Academy Award Nominee Danielle Brooks voiced concerns about her experience at an awards conversation panel. She revealed the cast initially had no dressing rooms nor trailers during filming. “I remember when we first came in, and we were doing rehearsal, and they put us all in the same space, and we didn’t have our own dressing rooms at the time,” she said, adding how they also weren’t given food. At the behest of Oprah, one of the film’s other producers — Steven Spielberg, Scott Sanders, or Quincy Jones — ensured those issues were resolved. Winfrey had the power to step in, but responsibilities regarding the budget are beyond her and her fellow producers at that level. Winfrey retorted in that interview, “I’m not in charge of the budget.”

by Anonymousreply 311February 1, 2024 2:12 PM

[quote]When it comes to running a production set, the job of where the budget goes is delegated to a line producer or a unit production manager. Run the World‘s showrunner Rachelle Williams-BenAry said it best in a tweet, “Atp who was the Line Producer/UPM on The Color Purple cuz it’s their job to negotiate the trailers, hire PAs, get teamsters/PAs to drive talent, oversee production issues.” Given the film was primarily set in one location, all of its budget handlings was in the hands of one Dominic Cancilla, whose experience has wavered between low-budget B-action movies like Machete and Get the Gringo and television with shows like Step Up: High Water. While the latter proves Cancilla’s experience with musicals, it’s clear he does not have experience with a movie of this scale. So the question becomes: Who hired this man?

RIGHT!

So who is this Dominic Cancilla?

by Anonymousreply 312February 1, 2024 2:20 PM

Who is ACCOUNTABLE???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313February 1, 2024 2:32 PM

It would seem to me that things like trailers and transportation should be dealt with in contracts before talent ever steps foot on set. So if I were these heifers, I'd look to their own reps.

by Anonymousreply 314February 1, 2024 5:44 PM

^I agree, R314. What is being revealed (to me anyway) is that there were a bunch of amateurs involved in many areas of this production that had no clue/experience in how things are properly done.

by Anonymousreply 315February 1, 2024 7:23 PM

The actors airing all these grievances in the media also seems amateurish.

by Anonymousreply 316February 1, 2024 7:35 PM

It's a strange way to try to interest the public in seeing the film.

by Anonymousreply 317February 2, 2024 3:02 AM

She been disrespected. And now some wigs ‘bout to be snatched.

by Anonymousreply 318February 2, 2024 11:31 AM

Everyone, be careful not to step in that mess on the floor. It's just r318's joke.

by Anonymousreply 319February 2, 2024 3:26 PM

R319 Right. It was so mafuckin corny.

by Anonymousreply 320February 3, 2024 12:50 AM

[quote] The actors airing all these grievances in the media also seems amateurish.

It's also totally self destructive.

by Anonymousreply 321February 3, 2024 1:01 AM

[quote] Right. It was so mafuckin corny.

Careful everyone, Teafake is cosplaying on the black hand side this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 322February 3, 2024 1:09 AM

Just to prove Teacake, r320, is black, there are three questions he can answer. If he knows the answers then he's invited to the cookout:

What is the juice left over in a pot of greens called?

Why were black people so happy OJ wasn't convicted?

Who dates Alphas - Kappas or Deltas? (funny because my parents got the combination wrong, probably the reason they got divorced).

by Anonymousreply 323February 3, 2024 6:00 AM

You do know the answers to all three of those questions can be found by doing under 5 min of research online, right?

by Anonymousreply 324February 3, 2024 6:39 AM

Then you provide the answers R324 and you're invited to the cookout.

by Anonymousreply 325February 3, 2024 6:43 AM

Oh, hi Teafake.

by Anonymousreply 326February 3, 2024 6:44 AM

R323 Don’t ever patronize me you white cracker bitch.

by Anonymousreply 327February 3, 2024 7:34 PM

You talking to yourself, Teafake?

by Anonymousreply 328February 3, 2024 7:37 PM

R328 This site so mafuckin ghetto. This threads keeps reloading error when I click anything.

by Anonymousreply 329February 3, 2024 7:39 PM

Even the site hates you, whitey.

by Anonymousreply 330February 3, 2024 7:40 PM

And I mean ever bitch. Cause I will have you walkin round lookin like a Mike Tyson victim. I’ll do you like they did Pesci in Casino. You understand me?

by Anonymousreply 331February 3, 2024 8:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!