Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Trouble With Angels (1966)

Charming!

Starring Rosalind Russell, Haley Mills, Gypsy Rose Lee, Mary Wickes, Judith Lowry, Barbara Bell Wright, Barbara Huntee, Marge Redmond, Dolores Sutton, Camilla Sparv, Binnie Barnes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 21, 2023 1:19 AM

I'm watching right now on TCM. #JUSTICEFORMARVELANN

by Anonymousreply 1December 20, 2023 4:37 PM

A very popular movie among DLers. The ending never fails to put a lump in my throat.

by Anonymousreply 2December 20, 2023 4:45 PM

Rosalind Russell’s character is quite a lot like me.

by Anonymousreply 3December 20, 2023 4:50 PM

It made me want to be a Nun.

by Anonymousreply 4December 20, 2023 4:52 PM

You'll need ten dollars for leotards.

by Anonymousreply 5December 20, 2023 4:57 PM

I'd like a word with Miss De-lis and Miss.......Novak.

by Anonymousreply 6December 20, 2023 5:06 PM

I've seen this movie countless times since it was released, and I only just released a few years ago that the only parents who appear at the school are Rachel's father and Mary's uncle (her guardian) when the girls are on the verge of being expelled. Otherwise, the school bus takes the students to and from the train station at the beginning and end of the school year, and nary a parent is ever present, even at graduation. It's like they're all orphans.

by Anonymousreply 7December 20, 2023 5:11 PM

It's so weird that Jim Hutton was billed under an alias. I mean he doesn't embarrass himself.

by Anonymousreply 8December 20, 2023 5:20 PM

I am watching it now, too. I wonder what Hayley Mills is doing right now?

by Anonymousreply 9December 20, 2023 5:28 PM

No matter how many times I’ve seen this film since 1966, I always tear up watching the scene in which Sister Liguori’s casket is in the chapel. Mother Superior stretches her arms over the top of the casket, quotes Liguori’s line, “It’s the last race at Pimlico,” and sobs. Mother Superior had lost her closest friend. Mary observes this scene and shows compassion in her face after having battled with Mother Superior for the entire film up until then. The next scene is graduation, when it’s announced that Mary will stay and become a nun, and she stands with Mother Superior saying goodbye to the other girls. The implication is that Mary may become her new confidant.

I’ve always thought that director Ida Lupino elevated a film that could have just been silly to something far better.

by Anonymousreply 10December 20, 2023 5:40 PM

Amazing that June Harding was 27 when they filmed this. Roughly 10 years older than the rest of the girls and she fits right in.

by Anonymousreply 11December 20, 2023 5:50 PM

R11 Yes, June Harding did a great job playing a younger girl. The “business” early in the film when she licks her hand and tries to smooth down her hair sets the stage for how immature the character is.

by Anonymousreply 12December 20, 2023 5:57 PM

One of my favorite films -still funny and still moving after so many repeated viewings. Also, a really beautiful score.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 21, 2023 1:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!