Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What celebrity have you seen in person that surprised you?

Because they were shorter, uglier, skinnier, nicer, or taller than you expected?

by Anonymousreply 600December 25, 2023 7:55 PM

Sarah Jessica Parker probably close to 20 years ago. She was in jeans, sneakers and no makeup. She was very, very pretty, her eyes were just striking. She is itty bitty, like child sized.

by Anonymousreply 1December 18, 2023 9:31 PM

Didn't a DLer say he saw Max Miller, the Tasting History YouTuber, and that Max is short and pudgy?

by Anonymousreply 2December 18, 2023 9:37 PM

SJP here as well. In a grocery store. She was really nice.

by Anonymousreply 3December 18, 2023 9:37 PM

I saw Faye Dunaway many, many years ago & was not prepared for how spectacularly gorgeous she was in person.

by Anonymousreply 4December 18, 2023 9:42 PM

I can vouch for Dunaway's former gorgeousness in person. She used to drink at the old Ritz bar in Boston when she was married to Peter Wolf. Wasted out of her mind but gorgeous in those days.

by Anonymousreply 5December 18, 2023 9:48 PM

Corpse came to one of my tag sales in East Hampton. I wasn’t surprised how ugly she looked. She kept asking me if I was selling a men’s sweaters. I said no. Then I told her she couldn’t light up and smoke on my property. She immediately left.

by Anonymousreply 6December 18, 2023 9:50 PM

I've heard she has very striking eyes. Aren't most actors surpringly small?

by Anonymousreply 7December 18, 2023 9:51 PM

Jeff Probst. Total Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2023 9:52 PM

Martha Stewart, more than a few times. She's exactly as she portrays herself - there is zero pretense.

by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2023 9:53 PM

I went to en event where I could meet Matt Bomer. I wanted to see if he was as handsome & charming as he seems. He is. Was very nice to everyone and showed a sense of humor, too.

by Anonymousreply 10December 18, 2023 9:55 PM

Judith Light - stunningly beautiful and super nice.

Seen others - live in LA but she was the one that stood out.

by Anonymousreply 11December 18, 2023 9:59 PM

Roger Daltry - much shorter than I thought he’d be

Belinda Carlisle - much funnier/nicer (at a gay event with her son)

John Cena - very quiet and well spoken (also at a charity event)

by Anonymousreply 12December 18, 2023 9:59 PM

1986-ish, Irvine California, Donny Osmond, he lived there. Surprisingly just like his photos and all teeth. Wife gave off a bitchy don't talk to us air which I didn't find very Mormony.

Tiger Woods in a barbecue restaurant in Windermere Florida about ten years ago. Not attractive in my opinion. Had an entourage trying to buffer him from the public.

12 years ago, Clooney at a distance on Como. Surprisingly looked shorter in real life to me. Most people say celebrities look skinnier in person; this guy looked shorter. Do they do fancy camera angles with him on screen to make him look taller?

by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2023 10:02 PM

When Isaac Hayes was in my city on tour he suddenly appeared at my gym one day. He wore a caftan! and was flanked by two bodyguards.

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2023 10:03 PM

This thread should serve as a cautionary note. Celebrities can look better or worse in person. So our assessment of their looks from afar should be couched with the understanding that they may be more or less attractive in person.

by Anonymousreply 15December 18, 2023 10:03 PM

Brad Pitt. Elevator, Century City CA. I'm not into blonds and had never been into him. He was always handsome, of course, just not my thing and not 'to die for' just handsome. Au contraire mon frere. In that elevator I was this close to hitting my knees right then and there. Absolutely stunning and movie star charisma coming off of him in waves. Surprised the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 16December 18, 2023 10:10 PM

A few weeks ago I was walking downtown when a man walking uptown said, "I like your shirt mate" - it was Hugh Jackman and that really surprised me.

by Anonymousreply 17December 18, 2023 10:11 PM

Aimee Mann — she was beautiful, tall, and impossibly thin.

David Morse — also tall, quiet/shy and very polite.

A.M. Homes — I was/am a real fan of hers. She was not one bit friendly and seemed unkind and above it all.

Suzanne Vega — also tall.

Duncan Sheik — small and adorable.

Tony Hawk — tall and very friendly/down to earth.

Sylvester Stallone — shorter than I could’ve imagined.

by Anonymousreply 18December 18, 2023 10:17 PM

It's his standard pick up line r17.

by Anonymousreply 19December 18, 2023 10:18 PM

What does Brad Pitt look like in person other than jaw dropping?

by Anonymousreply 20December 18, 2023 10:19 PM

Nick Nolte is creepy

by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2023 10:20 PM

Kelly Osbourne. She was talking to me and standing right in front of me and it took a few minutes for it to register.

by Anonymousreply 22December 18, 2023 10:22 PM

Jackie Kennedy - really attractive - had an aura about her - I swear I think she had a halo.

Liza Minnelli - it was late afternoon and her makeup made her look like a circus clown.

by Anonymousreply 23December 18, 2023 10:23 PM

Seconding SJP--a sweet person, very friendly and unpretentious.

by Anonymousreply 24December 18, 2023 10:24 PM

Circush clown

by Anonymousreply 25December 18, 2023 10:25 PM

Jennifer Aniston - absolutely gorgeous. Flawless skin.

Keith Morrison - tiny, skinny, even wrinklier in person than on TV.

Jane Fonda - much shorter than I thought she'd be.

Eric Swalwell - also much shorter than I thought he would be.

by Anonymousreply 26December 18, 2023 10:26 PM

R18 short and fat

by Anonymousreply 27December 18, 2023 10:26 PM

Melanie Griffith - black fingerless gloves only underscore she looks elderly. Her face is a Jack-o-lantern of plastic surgery. Tattoo on her saggy arm looks janky. I was shocked.

by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2023 10:29 PM

Charlize Theron....other worldly gorgeous in person. That was a long time ago though.

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2023 10:31 PM

Queen Latifah, Beverly Center. Stood behind her in line at Rubio's Mexican Grill where she eventually turned around to me and said, "I just can't wrap my head around a fish taco." Which me, the San Diego native loved, hence being in line.

Lauryn Hill, right as "Miseducation" dropped. Also at the BC. Buying red patent leather pumps.

Mariah Carey at some event where I was behind the scenes. Much taller in person than I expected. Dropped the diva and dahling act backstage.

Josh Brolin was a guest speaker at a film event for students, drove a pickup truck, wore cowboy boots, and refused the valet parking it himself, and also refused any wining and dining and star treatment we offered.

Brandy, also at the BC, very thin, braids all down her back. Big smile. Seemed nice.

by Anonymousreply 30December 18, 2023 10:31 PM

Jodi Foster- with her wife. She looks serious and sober. . Not unfriendly but not much to say. Skin is great and her hair color is sensational.

by Anonymousreply 31December 18, 2023 10:31 PM

Bono. Tiny. Wears massive shoe lifts.

by Anonymousreply 32December 18, 2023 10:33 PM

[quote] Aimee Mann — she was beautiful, tall, and impossibly thin.

Was she working as your house cleaner?

by Anonymousreply 33December 18, 2023 10:33 PM

Debbie Harry - short

Brooke Shields - SIX FEET TALL, plus boots

Diane Keaton - jabbering to an assistant, rigged out in one of her wide belted men’s jacket ensembles AND a hat

Steven Webber - kind eyes, buying Eggo waffles

Anjelica Huston - tall, regal and quiet. A lady. Sleekly and quietly dressed.

Heather Graham - the most beautiful person I’ve ever met in person. Perfect skin, perfect features… long, heavy, blonde streaked hair. Could play Helen of Troy!

by Anonymousreply 34December 18, 2023 10:34 PM

[quote]Queen Latifah, Beverly Center. Stood behind her in line at Rubio's Mexican Grill where she eventually turned around to me and said, "I just can't wrap my head around a fish taco."

I am just amazed at this turn of phrase having come from Queen Latifah.

by Anonymousreply 35December 18, 2023 10:41 PM

The jokes write themselves, I guess, but truth is stranger than fiction.

by Anonymousreply 36December 18, 2023 10:42 PM

Apolo Ohno has the most beautiful skin I have ever seen. His face was glowing.

Blair Underwood is very handsome with a warm, beautiful smile.

Teresa Giudice before she started working out. She was tiny and better looking in person than she appears in photos or on tv.

Huma Abedin is quite beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 37December 18, 2023 10:44 PM

I worked in costume a bit and met quite a few celebs but this was way before that. In college, Madonna sat in front of me at a Sandra Bernhard show. She was with Tony Ward and Ingrid Cesares. Tiny little people. Madge looked pretty with dark hair and wearing a beret. She was so tiny. She was probably 32 or so and already had crow’s feet. I stared at her the entire time-I just couldn’t believe it.

by Anonymousreply 38December 18, 2023 10:45 PM

Countess LuAnn in Gramercy. Not a tall as the other housewives make her out to be!

by Anonymousreply 39December 18, 2023 10:46 PM

Clooney backstage at SNL when Anthony Edwards hosted. Super handsome though shorter than I expected. Flame away but I got a dudebro vibe from him.

by Anonymousreply 40December 18, 2023 10:54 PM

Ncuti Gatwa. I had sex with him.

by Anonymousreply 41December 18, 2023 11:00 PM

[quote] Ncuti Gatwa

Who?

by Anonymousreply 42December 18, 2023 11:03 PM

R42 that's Dr.Who

by Anonymousreply 43December 18, 2023 11:04 PM

[quote] that's Dr.Who

Rolls eyes at R42.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 18, 2023 11:07 PM

JGL. Super Fem off script.

by Anonymousreply 45December 18, 2023 11:09 PM

R41 sizemeat verificia? Although he's super attractive regardless of dick size

by Anonymousreply 46December 18, 2023 11:10 PM

Garbo, K. Hepburn, Gloria Swanson....other worldly.

by Anonymousreply 47December 18, 2023 11:13 PM

[quote]Jackie Kennedy - really attractive - had an aura about her - I swear I think she had a halo.

Yes. And bigger, taller than I expected. She sure came off that way.

by Anonymousreply 48December 18, 2023 11:15 PM

R46 relatively good size. Totally smooth body. Amazing ass.

by Anonymousreply 49December 18, 2023 11:44 PM

Fantasia Barrino. Her and her family fucked up my AirBnB

by Anonymousreply 50December 18, 2023 11:50 PM

Also Jackie Kennedy with that Maurice guy in a high toned upper east side Italian restaurant and what surprised me was that she looked exactly like what you expected her to look like.

Her son in a small vegetarian mostly empty restaurant who I didn't recognize by himself behind the NYU law school reading a newspaper. I was totally bowled over by this incredibly impossibly handsome stranger who seemed surrounded by a glow like in a religious painting of the renaissance. I finally realized it was John Jr. There was an old man near him staring at his newspaper and John asked if he wanted it and gave it to him. The old man clearly didn't know who he was and unfazed by his other worldly beauty didn't care he just wanted that paper.

Many many years ago in a crowd and I look next to me and right there was Richard Gere. He never did anything for me on screen. But right there gorgeous with charisma coming out of every pore. Still couldn't care about him on screen but it didn't do him justice.

Again many years ago upper west side Tower records classical department looking for Jussi Bjorling recordings a very pregnant Mia Farrow so damn pretty with the most beautiful skin I've ever seen.

Her old mother walking with a friend up 8th Av near 51st street. What was Maureen O'Sullivan the star from MGM's golden age doing in such a seedy part of town?

The Nixons meeting them in their home in NJ for a cocktail party. Such polished elegant classy people despite Dick being a war criminal. Pat was especially lovely. She said in the most unpretentious sincere way 'Bless you.' Ok lady you got me for life.

by Anonymousreply 51December 18, 2023 11:52 PM

I had a chat with Jimmy Page on a London street about ten years ago and he was much thinner and granddaddy-looking than I expected, having grown up with this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 18, 2023 11:52 PM

R51, I’ve heard of JFK, Jr’s glow. Connie Britton also has a glow - she was a member at my gym but I only saw her once in street clothes. She looked like a star. Just beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 53December 18, 2023 11:55 PM

Robert DeNiro is very short like 5’5max. Maybe even shorter. The ones that surprise,you are the tall actors. Katharine Hepburn or Gene Hackman who looked well over 6 feet. How did he star in movies along side short actors like Dustin Hoffman and Pacino?

by Anonymousreply 54December 18, 2023 11:55 PM

John Cena around 2004. Beautiful skin, tons of charisma and bizarrely small hands.

by Anonymousreply 55December 19, 2023 12:01 AM

R27, R18 here. I am fat. I’m 6’3”.

by Anonymousreply 56December 19, 2023 12:01 AM

I saw her standing at a bus stop.

I was surprised that she was even fatter than I thought.

You know. What's her name.

by Anonymousreply 57December 19, 2023 12:01 AM

R8, please explain why Jeff Probst was an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 58December 19, 2023 12:02 AM

R33, I saw her at a book festival. I was standing alone trying to figure out where I was going. She came over, guitar strapped to her back, and made a tiny bit of small talk.

by Anonymousreply 59December 19, 2023 12:05 AM

Paul Newman was very small and lithe.

Joel Grey was incredibly tiny.

by Anonymousreply 60December 19, 2023 12:11 AM

I met Heather Locklear in 1983 and she was the prettiest girl I had ever seen in my life. Just All American perfect. And she couldn’t have been nicer.

I’ll third SJP in real life. Much prettier than I would have expected, gorgeous tiny body and also as nice as could be.

Linda Lavin has a sort of hunchback and is a bitch, but that’s no surprise.

by Anonymousreply 61December 19, 2023 12:16 AM

I've met many as I work in the business but the nicest ones were Jim Carey and Sharon Stone on the same night. They had no reason to be overly polite but they both spoke as if we had been old friends. A few crazies like Paula Abdul and Elliot Gould but no one was ever nasty to me.

by Anonymousreply 62December 19, 2023 12:20 AM

Also JFK JR. Work situation - unbelievably handsome - walked right over and introduced himself “Hi, I’m John.” Yeah… no kidding.

by Anonymousreply 63December 19, 2023 12:22 AM

Bowie and Iman walking along 57th Street many years ago looking otherworldly beautiful.

Robert De Niro is around 5'6, and so incredibly shy to the point of being unable to make eye contact.

by Anonymousreply 64December 19, 2023 12:25 AM

Diane Keaton and Woody Allen, in 1977. I was walking east on E. 86th, they were walking west. Diane walked up to me as if she knew me, talking to me about some script she was reading. I told her how nice it was to meet her, but I wasn't who she thought I was, which caused her to laugh out loud. I had a doppelganger those days.

Candice Bergen in the men's department at Bullock's in Beverly Hills in 1978. I was holding sweaters and pants up to my body and she helped me decide which my best choices were.

Another John-John sighting, in the men's room at the bar attached to the 1789 Restaurant on the Georgetown U. campus. He was on his way out as I was on my way in. I couldn't help but stare, and he smiled and waved, as if to say "Yeah, it's me."

by Anonymousreply 65December 19, 2023 12:26 AM

Henry Winkler on the subway. Add him to the list of tiny actors.

by Anonymousreply 66December 19, 2023 12:45 AM

Not the biggest star, but I met Mitch Pileggi when he was on 'X Files.' He was not just nice but he had the best body, lean muscles and a fine ass.

by Anonymousreply 67December 19, 2023 12:48 AM

[quote]Diane Keaton and Woody Allen, in 1977. I was walking east on E. 86th, they were walking west.

I saw them probably around the same time arguing in front of the Colosseum bookstore. A scene right out of one of his films.

by Anonymousreply 68December 19, 2023 12:50 AM

R29 - I saw Charlize in person, too. She was definitely otherworldly. You couldn’t help but look at her. This was probably around 2008.

by Anonymousreply 69December 19, 2023 12:52 AM

Ruth Gordon walking down 5th Ave. Another shorty. Jackline Smith and her mother in an antique store. She was stunningly beautiful and bought a lot of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 70December 19, 2023 12:57 AM

Donald Trump leaving JFK in 2010. He was taller than I imagined and although I’ve since come to loathe him, I was struck by what a commanding presence he was.

by Anonymousreply 71December 19, 2023 1:00 AM

Now here's on for you: I'm walking up upper Madison Ave. and coming toward me is Donna Karan with A L Talley. They started waving and smiling. I turned around there was Ralph Lauren.

by Anonymousreply 72December 19, 2023 1:06 AM

^ R47

by Anonymousreply 73December 19, 2023 1:07 AM

These are interesting, keep them coming!

I didn’t know DeNiro was that short. I thought he was 5’10” or so.

by Anonymousreply 74December 19, 2023 1:09 AM

Madeline Kahn waiting in a movie line by herself upper east side. very petite 5′ 3″ tall apparently.

by Anonymousreply 75December 19, 2023 1:11 AM

R26, your comment about Fonda seeming shorter than expected is interesting. I saw her in person, speaking at a small-ish gathering in the mid-80s, and I thought she seemed a good bit taller than 5'7"; her hair was longer in those days, thick and wavy, and she was just stunningly beautiful and glamorous.

I say this as someone who really loathes her, BTW!

by Anonymousreply 76December 19, 2023 1:18 AM

I'm showing an Italian friend the lobby of the Lowell Hotel. The elevator door opens and out walks Meryl Streep.

I get into an Elevator at Macy's and out walks Tommy Hilfiger.

I'm waiting to be seated at the Buffalo Roadhouse....but they gesture to the guy standing behind me. It's Rod Stewart.

Outside of the Plaza, a guy asks me to take a photo of him and his family. It's Hal Linden.

I'm in the men's department at Bloomingdales shuffling through a shelf of sweaters. The guy with the English accent standing next to me? Elton John.

It's pouring rain a guy runs under my umbrella and asks if I could help him get a cab. It's Paul Dooley.

I guy calls my phone (land line). I say hello. He says "Hello, this is John Wesley Shipp, may I speak to.... "

by Anonymousreply 77December 19, 2023 1:22 AM

R77, I hope you’re not the “He is [insert celebrity name]!” troll.

by Anonymousreply 78December 19, 2023 1:27 AM

Pro dancer Artem Chigvintsev from “DWTS”— pleasant chat at a bistro (he was on a rehearsal break with his celeb partner, Melora Hardin from “The Office”). He’s stunning in person, with ice-blue eyes and a gentleness that doesn’t translate on camera. Melora was luminous, even with barely any makeup: very down-to-earth and gracious.

Also sat across from Angela Bassett at another restaurant— it was mid-afternoon, but she was decked out in a killer orange pantsuit and looked hitter than prime-era Naomi Campbell. Simply a goddess.

by Anonymousreply 79December 19, 2023 1:28 AM

Arnold Schwarzenegger. Perhaps strange to say, he has a calming, warm, reassuring presence.

by Anonymousreply 80December 19, 2023 1:29 AM

That should’ve been “hotter than Naomi” at R79, but with Naomi, both apply.

by Anonymousreply 81December 19, 2023 1:29 AM

No, R78 - R77 is the “never was taught to use the past tense” troll.

by Anonymousreply 82December 19, 2023 1:34 AM

When I was in high school, Jackie O was in front of me in a Merit Farm on Lexington buying cigarettes.

Helen Hayes at a day honoring Lady Bird Johnson at the Capitol. She was tiny but with a wonderful smile

Woody Allen and Laura Bush (when she was FLOTUS) at tables next to me in NYC restaurants. He looked like a little old man. She was lovely.

Bill Murray on the subway

Jack Nicholson on the boardwalk on the Jersey Shore.

The Queen Mother and the Queen on a London street on two separate occasions.

by Anonymousreply 83December 19, 2023 1:36 AM

- Another JFK Jr. He was seated on a bench in front of a former pastry shop/cafe on W4th near Charles St (late 80s early 90s). He was alone, except for his bike. Even in the darkness of night he glowed. A dared not to say a word and kept walking.

by Anonymousreply 84December 19, 2023 1:38 AM

Billy Crudup, small and well-dressed. His kid graduated from the same university as mine.

by Anonymousreply 85December 19, 2023 1:40 AM

Unknowingly standing behind Bob Newhart at a hotel desk and the clerk said “Thank you, Mr. Newhart” as he turned around. I was so awestruck, I could only squeak out “Well…Hello”. He paused and looked at me with the bemused half smile and said “Well, Hello” and waled off. Not an exciting encounter or story but he looked and acted exactly like on TV. I felt like one of the Darryls.

by Anonymousreply 86December 19, 2023 1:40 AM

None of mine are terribly exciting but:

Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki. Met them at a Supernatural convention. They are both personable and have a fun rapport together (in a buddy-buddy sort of way NOT a "we're secret gay lovers" kind of way) and both were incredibly attractive in person.

Former PA governor Ed Rendell. Met him at a political event. Personable and looked the same in person.

Nicholas Brendon from Buffy. Really funny - he could be a stand-up comedian. He was kind to the fans and seemed down-to-earth. This was before his legal troubles started.

by Anonymousreply 87December 19, 2023 1:41 AM

Years ago, when I attended university in London, I saw Cate Blanchett on public transit. She was reading a book and didn't look like she wanted to be disturbed. But I asked anyways if she was Cate Blanchett. She nodded wordlessly, glanced at the book I was reading and asked how is it? I was on my way from class and was reading The Republic for an assignment. I remember I told her I have no idea what I'm reading, she laughed and went back to her reading.

by Anonymousreply 88December 19, 2023 1:52 AM

Oh she wasn't shorter, uglier, skinnier, nicer, or taller than I expected. It was around the time Lord of The Rings came out. I didn't know her outside of that movie so had no expectations

by Anonymousreply 89December 19, 2023 1:54 AM

Boy George in the late 80s at the old Barney's in Chelsea. Quite tall and built like a truck driver. An he was giggling with a girl friend the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 90December 19, 2023 1:55 AM

that's me at R89

by Anonymousreply 91December 19, 2023 1:55 AM

Wanda Sykes. TINY! So tiny. And exceedingly, generously polite when drunk me tried to strike up conversation.

by Anonymousreply 92December 19, 2023 1:57 AM

Angela Bassett: beautiful and kind.

by Anonymousreply 93December 19, 2023 2:02 AM

I was at a bar in Toronto in the 90’s and Kirstie Alley and Steve Guttenburg sat next to me. She was tiny. He was much better looking in person compared to how he looked on screen. I thought he was super hot.

by Anonymousreply 94December 19, 2023 2:07 AM

R77, are you a doorman?

by Anonymousreply 95December 19, 2023 2:10 AM

January 1985 we were going flying from San Francisco to Los Angeles on the red eye flight and we see Robin Williams at the ticket counter.

He was a really small guy. I had no idea he was so little- maybe about 5ft 6in.

by Anonymousreply 96December 19, 2023 2:17 AM

[quote] please explain why Jeff Probst was an asshole.

R58 He was a TOTAL asshole. Met him during his "Rock and Roll Jeopardy" days. To call him rude seems minimal. I cannot imagine how time and Survivor have made him an even worse human being.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97December 19, 2023 2:17 AM

R15: “ So our assessment of their looks from afar should be couched with the understanding ….”

I will couch NO understandings!

by Anonymousreply 98December 19, 2023 2:21 AM

Former US Senator John Edwards.

Much slighter in person than he looked on TV.

Good-looking in that that conventional handsome way, and of course, very smooth speaker and demeanor.

by Anonymousreply 99December 19, 2023 2:21 AM

Add to the short people list: Harry Shearer.

by Anonymousreply 100December 19, 2023 2:26 AM

Another itsybitsy: Mel Brooks. My 6’4” ran husband right into him at a Broadway show and he was maybe 5’5”. He was there seeing Mathew Broderick and Parker Posey (I think) in an Elaine May play. I think. My dad also pointed his umbrella at Mel’s back so I would see him.

Mel bought a Snapple.

by Anonymousreply 101December 19, 2023 2:37 AM

Karl Urban is tall, handsome and very fucking funny. (We were doing drugs at an industry thing).

Ant Starr is sweet, handsome and not quite as warm as Karl.

Jay Ryan was breathtaking.

by Anonymousreply 102December 19, 2023 2:52 AM

I just saw Owen Wilson the other day at the Hammer Museum in the Alice Waters cafe. He was as he seems in film. Handsome, sweet, nice height, and kind of fuckable. Nice smile.

by Anonymousreply 103December 19, 2023 2:56 AM

Bruce Greenwood could jam it deeply, deeply inside me.

by Anonymousreply 104December 19, 2023 2:58 AM

Same

by Anonymousreply 105December 19, 2023 3:01 AM

Tyler Christopher back in 2014 in a grocery store. Absolutely stunning in person. Beautiful skin, eyes, and body. But what I found really striking were his full, pouty lips. God what a beautiful man he was!

by Anonymousreply 106December 19, 2023 3:01 AM

I used to see Amy Sedaris all the time when I lived in the West Village. I know numerous people have stated that these various celebrities were super tiny - she is super duper tiny. I'd be surprised if she's even truly 5 ft tall.

by Anonymousreply 107December 19, 2023 3:04 AM

Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward in Kansas City where they were filming Mr. ans Mrs. Bridge. Paul was attractive but sideways very slim. Cher- Flawless skin, not a crease Dolly- Same as above Bette M- Walking thru Caesars with her HUGE body guard, No makeup , hair in a twist. Looks like nay other short lady gher age with no slap on.

by Anonymousreply 108December 19, 2023 3:08 AM

I am a female and when I was younger very tiny, thin, short and petite.. I used to work the American Comedy Awards in the late 80s . One year I had to wait In a small holding area with Priscilla Presley and Leslie Nielson - I said before I was tiny - Priscilla made me feel like Lens Dunham - I felt like a hulk. She was delicate like a porcelain doll. She was exquisite looking - flawless skin and features and her eyes were winded blue. I think she was on Dallas then. I remember thinking that it was a shame that her beauty and size didn’t translate on camera. I can see where Elvis would see her as a little Doll. Leslie Nielson was much more handsome in person. He kept “big brother” like teasing Priscilla and making her giggle - you could tell that they like each other very much. I was invisible - they weren’t rude to me - I was just a non issue - they were having a private moment. ""'"……"……………… A few years later I was a sales director for a small hotel near Santa Anita Race Track and John Forsythe came in with some friends and had lunch - wow! Wow, wow, I felt like that old Doris Day /Cary Grant movie That Touch of Mink. He was a knee buckler - CHARMING - HANDSOME - he looked expensive he was in casual attire - but I always have remembered he was wearing a Butter colored Cashmere Golf sweater. He shook my hand and I don’t really remember much more - but he smelled great, too. He is someone else that although I had seen him on tv a million times I was blown away by what a movie star he looked like in person……….Has anyone met Robert Wagner in person? All Natalie jokes aside he seems like he would have that old movie star quality.

by Anonymousreply 109December 19, 2023 4:04 AM

Lily Tomlin and Jane Wagner at El Torito in Van Nuys, CA. They were so nice and saw we recognized them and came over to the table to chat with us and take pictures. They were awesome.

by Anonymousreply 110December 19, 2023 4:11 AM

Joe Rogan when I briefly worked for the UFC. Nice guy. Tiny. Probably 5 ft 4 inches.

Jillian Michaels with her biggest loser contestants going to the gym near the Cineramadome. She was really short and talking on the phone loudly.

Lou Diamond Philips at a Starbucks in Chatsworth. He was sitting at a table with a bunch of guys who kept saying his name hoping people would recognize him. I walked right past him as he gave off a douche vibe.

Meredith Baxter before she was out at a lesbian bar.

Lucy Lawless, tall and beautiful.

Jodie Foster at a concert. She was short and seemed kind of paranoid.

by Anonymousreply 111December 19, 2023 4:18 AM

[quote]Unknowingly standing behind Bob Newhart at a hotel desk and the clerk said “Thank you, Mr. Newhart” as he turned around. I was so awestruck, I could only squeak out “Well…Hello”.

He must have been thrilled to meet such a legendary daytime star, Ms. Dickson.

by Anonymousreply 112December 19, 2023 4:33 AM

Mine vary from the well-known to the obscure and/or eclectic:

Matt Keeslar: Met him after he stopped acting. Good looking and tall, but not the sort of person you'd spot easily--he has an odd kind of generic look to him in person. Fairly shy and seemed a little sullen.

Janeane Garofalo: Tiny and shy, very sweet. Seemed to want to disappear into the background.

Dan Aykroyd: Wore a cheap suit covered in food stains. Seemed like he was on the spectrum, and was fat, but very friendly.

Donna Dixon: Fat and dressed a bit ridiculously. Very nice but New Age-y.

Simon Baker (THE MENTALIST): Shorter than i expected (he looked to be under 6 ft.), which beautiful sandy hair and a crinkly smile. Seemed incredibly self-confident.

Madeline Kahn: At the Metropolitan Opera, in the lobby. Very small, but beautifully coiffed and dressed at the time.

Morgan Spector: Hairy, obvious great body, deep-voiced. Friendly and intelligent, but reserved. Tall.

Peter Krause (SIX FEET UNDER, 911): tall, smiley-faced, well built. Very physically confident.

Ben Chaplin (THE TRUTH ABOUT CATS AND DOGS, WASHINGTON SQUARE): Absolutely tiny.

Donal Logue (GOTHAM, THE TAO OF STEVE): fairly tall and surprisingly hairy, very sweet and nice and friendly. His eyes look in slightly different directions (i.e. strabismus)

Samuel West (HOWARDS END, ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL): he was wearing a ratty stretched-out cotton sweater with giant holes in it to an art exhibition in London. He made a big deal out of not wanting to be noticed, and that plus the awful sweater made certain he was noticed. This was about fifteen years ago. He had begun to show a pot belly.

Mike Dukakis (spring, 1989): small and nebbishy. not commanding in the least.

George HW Bush (fall, 1991): tall, skinny, and uncharismatic.

Bill Clinton (spring, 1996); Tall, and so charismatic he seemed to radiate when he walked past even though he was outdoors. I had never seen that in a politician before.

The champion figure skater Rosalyn Sumners: ran into her at a book signing in Colorado. She had so much makeup glopped onto her face she seemed like she was performing in Kabuki.

Paris Hilton: At an obscure awards show event, maybe @ 2007. She walked like such a complete phony, and was glued to her cellphone (encrusted with shiny colored stones). The crowd booed her.

by Anonymousreply 113December 19, 2023 4:59 AM

It was twilight. I was waiting outside a theater to see the live play Fortinbras, and happened to be next to the walk actors would use to get to the theater's stage door. I discerned in the dusk a figure walking from somewhere down the street approaching the theater, and it was none other than the show's star, Billy Campbell. No one else noticed him. He looked deep into my eyes, I looked deep into his, and . . . Well, anyway, to get to the point: Unlike many celebrities who have been mentioned, he looked exactly as he does on film, and seemed like a likeable, normal guy.

by Anonymousreply 114December 19, 2023 5:03 AM

Lou Diamond Phillips was cute. I would’ve given him a smile. Douche or not.

by Anonymousreply 115December 19, 2023 5:04 AM

R61 I’ve heard from others that Heather is a sweetheart. Also, at least before the drink, she was very reliable.

by Anonymousreply 116December 19, 2023 5:07 AM

[quote] Ben Chaplin...Absolutely tiny.

I don't know why I think of him as tall whenever I see him on screen.

by Anonymousreply 117December 19, 2023 5:18 AM

Chis Pine. More fem than you might expect

by Anonymousreply 118December 19, 2023 5:28 AM

Esther Rolle, on an airplane. She kept alarming everyone by predicting the plane would crash. Then, when the flight attendants went by with their carts, she would stand up and fling things off of them onto the aisle, all the while shouting, "DAMN! DAMN! DAAAAMN!"

by Anonymousreply 119December 19, 2023 5:31 AM

They’re all short and skinny with gigantic heads. It’s disappointing to see any celebrity in real life.

by Anonymousreply 120December 19, 2023 5:47 AM

Most are tiny. However, I saw Kylie Jenner (not a real,star) and she was tall and not pin thin. She looked liked an old time movie star. Kim K is short and kind of zaftig. So props to,them for being almost normal sized humans.

by Anonymousreply 121December 19, 2023 5:53 AM

Uma Thruman is much better looking in real life than she is on camera.

by Anonymousreply 122December 19, 2023 5:53 AM

[quote]r23 Liza Minnelli - it was late afternoon and her makeup made her look like a circus clown.

That is hilarious. I’m hearing:

[italic]“Baby cried the day the Liza came to town…”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123December 19, 2023 6:29 AM

[quote]r45 JGL. Super Fem off script.

Joaquin Guzman Loera? The Mexican drug lord?

by Anonymousreply 124December 19, 2023 6:39 AM

R52 What was he like? What did he say??

by Anonymousreply 125December 19, 2023 7:11 AM

Helen Lawson drunkenly ordering Mexican food at a drive thru in her yellow convertible Coupe deVille. She kept trying to light the wrong end of her cigarette and I heard her say "Fish tacos? What the fuck, I'll try 'em.'

by Anonymousreply 126December 19, 2023 7:14 AM

Al Einstein at Jerry's Diner in Princeton eating a burger and fries decked out with a Yankee's baseball cap. Laughing with his companion Bobby Oppenheimer who occasions lobbed spit balls at the next booth...

by Anonymousreply 127December 19, 2023 7:34 AM

Clint Eastwood - this would be around 2010-2011. Very tall and very thin, a little stooped due to age.

Jane Fonda - Exactly how you would imagine she would look. She looked impeccable and polished. Also, extremely thin, height probably between 5'5 and 5'7.

Judd Apatow - met him at a high school he visited in the Bay Area. Looked like you would expect him to, Dad bod, a little shy and awkward, but polite and kind to all the kids.

Lady Miss Kier - from Deee-Lite and a great DJ. Walked by me at a rave, back in 1998 or so. Gorgeous, but so so tiny. Probably 5 feet tall, max.

by Anonymousreply 128December 19, 2023 8:21 AM

Sam Smith, surprisingly slim and ultra-masculine.

by Anonymousreply 129December 19, 2023 10:12 AM

Was recently at a restaurant table next to Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos. She’s much prettier in person (probably due to less TV makeup) — and, yes, super-tiny. Consuelos was kind of schlumpy and unimpressive.

by Anonymousreply 130December 19, 2023 10:32 AM

George Michael in a deli shop in Hampstead: Much taller than I expected

by Anonymousreply 131December 19, 2023 10:41 AM

Billy Ray Cyrus, before he was famous. He used to cut my grandparents grass. He had just gotten married and lived on the next street over. I went to visit them one summer and he came to cut grass. My grandma loved him, as he did have manners and he was very cute, too.

by Anonymousreply 132December 19, 2023 11:25 AM

Jesus Christ—better looking than in pics.

by Anonymousreply 133December 19, 2023 12:01 PM

Merv Griffin .. at his home in Beverly Hills, and actually came to the door to greet my boyfriend and me wearing a very colorful, multi-striped KAFTAN!

by Anonymousreply 134December 19, 2023 12:08 PM

R132 were you surprised 😲 he was barely five feet?

by Anonymousreply 135December 19, 2023 12:20 PM

Judy Woodruff. Dried up miserable cunt. Looked like her dog had just died.

Jane Fonda...beautiful lady. Comfortable in her own skin, and mischevious. Got two big kisses from her as a thank you for cookies!!

by Anonymousreply 136December 19, 2023 12:36 PM

Michael T Weiss.

Tried to pick me up in a coffee shop 26 years ago today actually. Leaner than I had expected, lovely smile and beautiful but sad eyes. I had a bf and why he would even look at me I have no idea. I'm just an average guy.

by Anonymousreply 137December 19, 2023 12:50 PM

Conan O’Brien- looked like he was carved out of a potato. Humorless. He looked constipated or something.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar - I actually bumped into him and he was very kind. Not short!

John Hurt - major leave me the fuck alone vibes. He was having lunch with his brother who was a regular at a cafe I worked at.

Cloris Leachman - I wanted to say hello, but overheard her saying something like, “why does anyone give a shit about things I did years ago?” Not in a sad way, just genuinely perplexed.

I also have a knack for spotting pro wrestlers. Always very willing to take a moment. Usually kind. Must be in the contract. I asked Braun Strowman to pick me up. He said it was beneath his dignity. It’s fun when they stay in character.

by Anonymousreply 138December 19, 2023 12:58 PM

Gordon Ramsay. I used to see him occasionally in one his London restaurant/pubs which was my local at the time. He was nothing like his television persona. Every time, he was mellow and gracious with annoying people asking for selfies. What surprised me is he’s one of those people much better looking in real life. He’s over 6’ and nicely framed. Close-ups of his contorted screaming face on tv do him no favours.

by Anonymousreply 139December 19, 2023 1:04 PM

R137, I admire your fidelity to your bf and will power. Weiss was beautiful in his prime.

by Anonymousreply 140December 19, 2023 1:05 PM

I’ve seen many celebrities since I lived in LA and worked in Burbank for a few years but since we are supposed to talk about the surprising ones, I’ve skipped over many but here are a few that may be interesting:

The nerdy kid and Rain Pryor from Head of the Class were both really, really nice. Nerdy kid especially - he remembered specifics about me and would ask how things were going. Just a gem.

Adrienne Barbeau was stunningly beautiful and so so friendly. Very smiley. Petite. I guess not surprising but I still remember her.

Bobby Vinton was so friendly and outgoing - he was a delight to meet. Also smiley and petite.

I knew Johnny Grant pretty well in the early 90s (IYKYK) and absolutely adored him. He was NUTS in a good way and was silly and goofy and friendly and interested in everyone around him. And he loved being spoofed.

Dan Rather is much taller than I expected - my memory is of him being 6’1 or 6’2”. This was at CBS in NYC in late 90s.

by Anonymousreply 141December 19, 2023 2:08 PM

I crossed 6th Avenue with Sally Field. Petite and in very good shape. Didn't look like she had too much done.

by Anonymousreply 142December 19, 2023 3:45 PM

[quote] Has anyone met Robert Wagner in person? All Natalie jokes aside he seems like he would have that old movie star quality.

My late sister became friends with him when they were neighbors in Colorado (I don't remember if it was in Vail or Aspen). She adored him. She would have him call my father on his birthdays to extend birthday greetings.

by Anonymousreply 143December 19, 2023 4:11 PM

[quote] Jodie Foster at a concert. She was short and seemed kind of paranoid.

Having a president nearly assassinated in your name could do that to you.

by Anonymousreply 144December 19, 2023 4:13 PM

Ryan Reynolds at LAX- Very tall and stunningly handsome, a different handsome than the camera captures.

by Anonymousreply 145December 19, 2023 4:14 PM

[quote] Kareem Abdul Jabbar - I actually bumped into him and he was very kind. Not short!

Where, in terms of location & his body, did you bump into Kareem/ And when was this?

by Anonymousreply 146December 19, 2023 4:20 PM

Has anyone seen Gerard Butler? He's my dream bear.

by Anonymousreply 147December 19, 2023 4:54 PM

[quote]I've heard she has very striking eyes. Aren't most actors surpringly small?

My eyes used to be big, now they're small and beady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148December 19, 2023 5:19 PM

Robert Redford walked past me at a museum in NYC 25-30 years ago. Short, maybe 5' 9", red and freckled. Glasses. Not handsome in the slightest. That hairpiece is so oversized and all over his forehead, you'd think he was trying to hide something.

by Anonymousreply 149December 19, 2023 5:41 PM

Someone met GaGa and she smelled up the stage with her hobo stank. Story in archived link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150December 19, 2023 5:55 PM

Adrian Brody in the mid aughts at Dan Tana's. He is very striking and much better looking in person. Also has a commanding presence. Dan Tana's has a tiny bar and I went to use the restroom and he was on the phone. Then imagine being seated near him just for a bit. He was with Elsa Pataky at the time, who is also much better looking in person. They didn't have any airs of pretense or being better than anyone, and seemed nice and down to earth.

by Anonymousreply 151December 19, 2023 6:03 PM

R76, that's because R26 is LYING. It happens all the time here - my favorite was someone who saw Julie Andrews and insisted she "was tiny." Bad bluff. I have met Julie, she's big and 5'7" - 5'8", not tiny under any circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 152December 19, 2023 6:17 PM

What R151? I saw Adrien about the same year. So ugly. He looked like Miss Gulch’s son. Very skinny too. I

by Anonymousreply 153December 19, 2023 6:24 PM

Paul Newman - very short

by Anonymousreply 154December 19, 2023 6:26 PM

Gleb Savchenko. Gorgeous and very nice.

by Anonymousreply 155December 19, 2023 6:32 PM

R153 I thought they were so good looking together. He had the short hair like in these photos. I've always dug him tho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156December 19, 2023 6:54 PM

R12 Yeah, I was in an elevator with Roger Daltrey. It was a long ride up 50+ floors, so I got a good up close and personal look. I had heard he was short, but he's really really short. That reported 5'6 must be when he's wearing 3-inch boots.

by Anonymousreply 157December 19, 2023 7:02 PM

R140 You're very kind....not too sure if it was totally fidelity but stunned that he'd hit on me. I'm Irish so perhaps it was the accent that got him interested. Still, he was stunningly beautiful and in manner despite his making advances, I think a quiet and thoughtful lad. I hope he's well.

by Anonymousreply 158December 19, 2023 7:03 PM

[quote] Gleb Savchenko. Gorgeous and very nice.

GLEB.

by Anonymousreply 159December 19, 2023 7:03 PM

Jodie foster - on street in NY - looked great, doesn’t look like she’s had much (if any) work done. Like someone above said - incredible hair color. Was with a friend and seemed normal, talking and laughing.

Sarah Paulson - at theater pre-covid seeing a show (in line behind her). She looked exactly like she does on screen, not better or worse. Very nervous energy.

Stephan Colbert on street on UWS. My frau friend waved at him and he waved back and smiled. Looked like he does on TV.

Portia de Rossi years ago. She was beautiful.

Matthew Morrison - Was in an airport wearing a scarf, carrying a ukelele and sitting in one of two rocking chairs in the waiting area while tons of other people stood around. Very “look at me” energy.

by Anonymousreply 160December 19, 2023 7:14 PM

Jay Leno on a street in Mayfair, London. He looked like a cross between Lurch and a gorilla.

by Anonymousreply 161December 19, 2023 7:25 PM

Diana. Out with friends to see a film at the old Whiteleys centre in London.Surrounded by security of course, but chatting happily with people brave enough to say hello. She seemed very sweet, and she was dazzling to behold in person.

by Anonymousreply 162December 19, 2023 7:26 PM

Brooke Astor in the 90s.....tiny frail thing very heavily made up. She'd blow away in a gust of wind.

Ted Turner...down to earth guy.

Chief Justice Rhenquist...the embodiment of evil. If he were alive today he'd play Himmler to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 163December 19, 2023 7:31 PM

r162 Diana Ross?

by Anonymousreply 164December 19, 2023 7:34 PM

Jon Voight. Dallas-Fort Worth airport (American Airlines hub). Standing in the first class line to board a plane. The "dress up to fly" people will be glad - he was wearing a gray suit. He seemed tall and seemed like he was by himself. He was smiling and looking around the terminal. If ever I would have felt comfortable walking up to a celebrity and saying hello or asking for an autograph, this would have been the time. He seemed like he would have been open to it.

by Anonymousreply 165December 19, 2023 7:35 PM

R152 God, some of these DL queens are illiterate bitches just waiting to put their hands on their hips.

Here's what I said about Jane Fonda, sweetie - "Much shorter than I thought she'd be."

That wasn't a lie, and I never said Jane Fonda was "short." I'm barely 5'10", and when I met her, I noticed she was shorter than I am. Whenever I saw her on TV or in the movies, I envisioned her as this tall, statuesque woman, towering above everyone and everything. That I looked *down* at her when I saw her was a surprise to me. Hence, the "much shorter than I thought she'd be" comment.

Get it?

by Anonymousreply 166December 19, 2023 7:38 PM

I saw JFK Jr. on the street in NY on three occasions in the mid-late 90s. As others have said, he was stunning in person. Even if he hadn't been famous and just been some random guy on the street he still would've made people stop and stare.

by Anonymousreply 167December 19, 2023 7:40 PM

Lisa Vanderpump.

And I say that only because I was surprised that she was as heavily made up and plasticized in person as she appears to be on TV.

by Anonymousreply 168December 19, 2023 7:43 PM

Was walking around LA in 2009. A crowd of people had gathered in front of a theater which was premiering Public Enemies, circa 2009.

At one point, Christian Bale and Johnny Depp broke away and approached the crowd to sign autographs. They both were standing directly in front of me, and I was completely underwhelmed. Average height, average weight, average looks, nothing at all to suggest superstardom. If it hadn't been pointed out by the professional autograph seekers who they were, I never would have known who they were, they were that ordinary. They could have blended in with the rest of the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 169December 19, 2023 7:45 PM

Will and Jada Smith. They were fucking spooky. Looked like Madame Tussaud's figures of themselves come to life.

by Anonymousreply 170December 19, 2023 7:48 PM

Liam Neeson on Central Park West. He's huge, like a Sasquatch.

by Anonymousreply 171December 19, 2023 7:53 PM

Chris Pine drunk off his ass, weaving down the sidewalk in Los Feliz at 6pm.

by Anonymousreply 172December 19, 2023 7:56 PM

I saw Jon Voight too. 1993 in the A&P on Central Ave, Scarsdale or Yonkers (Central Ave goes thru several towns). He was exactly the way I expected - 6'3".

by Anonymousreply 173December 19, 2023 8:01 PM

Nice try, R166.

by Anonymousreply 174December 19, 2023 8:03 PM

Tennessee Williams and Truman Capote at bar near the United Nations sitting together side by side drunk while a piano player played.

Sean Connery walking up 57th street one evening. Alone. Very tall.

by Anonymousreply 175December 19, 2023 8:04 PM

R174 Go get faux outraged somewhere else, sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 176December 19, 2023 8:10 PM

I only have underwhelming ones, but I want to participate.

Gayle King I’ve seen twice. She looks exactly as she does on TV. She isn’t taller or shorter or thinner or prettier, she looks the same. Somewhat mellow energy, which is good, because people get nervous on account of her being Oprah adjacent.

Eric Lindros. If you’re a hockey fan you know he was the gorgeous franchise player for the Philadelphia Flyers back in the early 2000’s. He was huge. Massive. I think his looks were more striking in photos than in person, but his size made him stand out like crazy. Quiet energy. On a side note: his teammate Shawn Antoski was gorgeous. Incredible skin.

John-boy from The Waltons. Used to eat brunch with his family at the restaurant I worked at back in the early 90’s. They were quiet and chill. Reading the papers and eating.

Rupert Murdoch. Incredibly arrogant in the ‘how dare you speak to me?’ type of way. We were at the same party talking in a group. I didn’t even know who the fuck he was. He looked just like your average old guy.

by Anonymousreply 177December 19, 2023 8:12 PM

Juliet Prowse coming out of a tailor. No makeup and she wasn't as tall as I thought but she was breathtaking. Her body was so slender yet athletic. She had the best body on a woman I'd ever seen and she had yoga pants on so I didn't see the legs. She obviously took good care of her skin because she was in her 50s at the time but she still almost glowed. Fantastic smile and so friendly and charming.

by Anonymousreply 178December 19, 2023 8:12 PM

R178 Be prepared for R152 to say you're lying because you said Juliet Prowse wasn't as tall as you thought she'd be.

by Anonymousreply 179December 19, 2023 8:14 PM

You’re being trolled r179 and you’re letting it get to you.

by Anonymousreply 180December 19, 2023 8:16 PM

R179 No. I'm amused by R178's insistence that she knows all. :-)

by Anonymousreply 181December 19, 2023 8:18 PM

Liars and "Liar!" shriekers, please cease and desist. You are not interesting, either of you.

by Anonymousreply 182December 19, 2023 8:21 PM

Liza Minnelli, at a private screening on the Fox lot back in the mid 80s. She was clearly drugged out of her mind, and quite tiny.

by Anonymousreply 183December 19, 2023 8:25 PM

R76 A friend and I saw Jane Fonda at the Century City Mall back in the early 90s. She was wearing a hat and was dressed stylishly, but she would have blended into the crowd completely anonymously if I hadn't looked her right in the eye and recognize her when she walked by.

My friend and I both thought she was looked smaller in person.

by Anonymousreply 184December 19, 2023 8:26 PM

Timothee Chalamet. His ass was surprising hairy when he sat on my face.

by Anonymousreply 185December 19, 2023 8:29 PM

R185 Liar! His ass is as smooth as glass!

by Anonymousreply 186December 19, 2023 8:31 PM

I've mentioned this on other threads, but when I saw Hank Azaria naked at The Sports Connection, I was very surprised (and saddened) by his micro peen.

by Anonymousreply 187December 19, 2023 8:32 PM

Kate Burton—warm, friendly, very intelligent, and unpretentious.

by Anonymousreply 188December 19, 2023 8:34 PM

I had him when he was legal r186 and he had pubes and ass crack hairy by then r186. You shouldn't fuck around with 16 year olds!

by Anonymousreply 189December 19, 2023 8:35 PM

Robert Klein walking down 42nd Street two years ago.

He was hunched over and looked like a little old man.

Then again, he was 80, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

by Anonymousreply 190December 19, 2023 8:35 PM

Robert Klein is a name from the past. Is he still performing!

by Anonymousreply 191December 19, 2023 8:39 PM

R181, you have a very thin skin for someone who visits the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 192December 19, 2023 8:41 PM

R192 Says the drama queen who can't believe I would *dare* mention that Jane Fonda looked shorter than I expected. :-)

by Anonymousreply 193December 19, 2023 8:49 PM

GIRLS, GIRLS! you're both pretty! r193 and r192!

by Anonymousreply 194December 19, 2023 8:52 PM

Remember that scene in "Down and Out in Beverly Hills" where Richard Dreyfuss runs around screaming, "Call 911" .. Well, I basically saw him do that IRL about three years before the film was made.

For about a year or more, Dreyfuss leased the main house on the property where I rented the guest house. .. I saw him often, but gave him his privacy, so we rarely interacted. .. But one time we were having one of those torrential Southern California January downpours, and the driveway was beginning to flood in front of the garage where his Mercedes was parked. .. He flew into a panic and was running around in the driveway ready to call 911. .. I was leaving to go to work (back when we actually wore dress clothes to the office), and I couldn't get all wet or be late, so I didn't have time to get involved with the mess he was facing.

All I could do before driving off was tell him to go in the garage and look for the long shovel hanging on the wall, then wade through the foot of water in the corner of the driveway where he'd find a large drain where the grate needed to be lifted up and cleared of all the debris blocking it. He kind of stood there looking at me dumbfounded.

by Anonymousreply 195December 19, 2023 8:52 PM

The only celebrity I've seen in person is Alice Cooper (I waited on him). I'm 6'2" and he was probably 1 or 2 inches shorter than me, which was really surprising. He wasn't fat or thin, but kind of fit, which was really surprising. He had two legs and two arms, which was really surprising.

by Anonymousreply 196December 19, 2023 8:56 PM

R193, you fail to understand that several people wish you would STFU and stop trying to hijack this thread.

Carry on, the rest of you.

by Anonymousreply 197December 19, 2023 9:06 PM

I should get my aunt to post in this thread.

She used to work at the Sears in Santa Monica, and one evening over dinner she began to name off all the celebrities she encountered while working there (nearly 30 years). They'd come in from Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Bel Air, Beverly Hills, etc. .. Often to buy appliances, which is one of the departments she worked in. But there were also females who shopped in the women's department, another section she worked in. She named off at least 50, and said that if she thought about it long enough, she could probably name another 50. .. Loretta Young always bought her underwear there.

by Anonymousreply 198December 19, 2023 9:07 PM

R197 You mad? You seem mad.

by Anonymousreply 199December 19, 2023 9:10 PM

R197, you fail to understand that several people ALSO wish you would STFU and stop trying to hijack this thread.

Carry on, the rest of you.

by Anonymousreply 200December 19, 2023 9:11 PM

Kylie Minogue at her Vegas show.

She's a midget.

by Anonymousreply 201December 19, 2023 9:16 PM

I saw Pat Benatar before her show, as she was presenting some local awards. She had to come from behind the lectern because she could barely see over it. They moved the mic to the side - it was really cute.

by Anonymousreply 202December 19, 2023 9:18 PM

Gavin Newsome - When he was Mayor of SF he came to our office to welcome us into the city. Charisma for days. He knew it too.

A millio0n years ago - working in a JCP behind a jewelry counter. Kristy McNichol at the height of her fame comes to the counter taps her nail on the glass counter. "That one. Let me see it." I looked up and smiled, "Say Please."

by Anonymousreply 203December 19, 2023 9:50 PM

I've written this a couple of times and I swear I always forget the answer.

This is so long ago Rizzoli was on 5th Av. I was walking quickly up 5th Av after work towards 57th St. I'm looking down going my own way not noticing anything around me when I suddenly look up and right in front of me were Meryl Streep and Rober De Niro having a conversation in front of Rizzoli. I was so close I was practically between them but they didn't notice me at all. They had for some reason at that time of year Christmas packages. I thought well this is very strange. What in the world are these two people doing in front of me. I look around and see a camera crew. Oh a movie. I was walking so quickly and intently nobody noticed me and I didn't notice them which is probably why I got so close. I then just went on my way. Ok nothing surprising about them but just the fact they were unexpectedly there.

People always know which movie this is and I always forget the title and obviously have never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 204December 19, 2023 10:05 PM

This is about a person I did not see. At least at that moment.

I went to see The Heiress at I believe the Cort. Maybe with Cherry Jones? When I was younger I had a job and left just as A Matter of Gravity had ended its performance. I would walk across 44th Street to get to the PA terminal and often join the crowd to watch Katharine Hepburn leave the stage door. You know because she was such a legendary goddess. I'd see Christopher Reeve leave as well but nobody noticed him except for me because he was so handsome.

Well as I was leaving The Heiress my friend said look Christopher Reeve! I had seen him so many times I didn't bother. It was later in that very week he had the accident that destroyed his life. It makes me sad thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 205December 19, 2023 10:19 PM

Yoko Ono sat next to me at the movie theatre on 64th and Broadway. Tiny thing, Asked me after what I thought of the movie. Normal and pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 206December 19, 2023 10:23 PM

[quote]I look around and see a camera crew. Oh a movie. I was walking so quickly and intently nobody noticed me and I didn't notice them which is probably why I got so close. I then just went on my way. Ok nothing surprising about them but just the fact they were unexpectedly there.

I walked onto the set of "The King of Marvin Gardens" with Jack Nicholson and Bruce Dern filming a scene. I was young and cute and no one bothered to ask me who I was or what I was doing there.

by Anonymousreply 207December 19, 2023 10:33 PM

Another JFK Jr sighter and as others have posted - amazingly stunning. I saw him walking alone on a street in DC. Really something mythic about him. Brooke Shields at a horse event in Virginia, very tall and absolutely gorgeous. Bill Clinton in a receiving line - as someone else said, there was a mesmerizing energy around him, it was indescribable and unsettling. Sean Penn in an elevator ag The Four Seasons in DC - shorter than me, beautiful hair and smelled wonderful. Not at all haggard looking but he lit up a cigarette immediately off the elevator.

by Anonymousreply 208December 19, 2023 11:06 PM

Princess Anne, at a small function where I could get a good look at her, when she was in her late teens. The camera does not like her--she was very much prettier in real life. She was with the Queen, who looked as I'd expected from seeing her on screen.

Mel Gibson. Walked beside him in a strike for better actors' pay and conditions in Sydney, way back before he went to the US. I'm 5'6 and he looked to be the same as me or smaller. I didn't talk to him: never a fan of his work. That must have been his last left-wing action, though he didn't have any money himself at the time so he probably didn't think of it as political.

by Anonymousreply 209December 19, 2023 11:07 PM

Stallone short. Dolph Lungren bow legs. Dolly tiny. Selleck massive. Shatner beachball. QE smaller than Dolly. Gyllenhaal garbage can sized head ect ect

by Anonymousreply 210December 19, 2023 11:14 PM

The late Raquel Welch. She was very striking in person, and I saw her when she was doing Victor/Victoria on Broadway sometime around 1996. At the time I had no idea how old she was, but it turns out she was in her 50s and she looked great. b.1940 here she is with Rosie in 1996!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211December 19, 2023 11:18 PM

I remember my grandma was so impressed by meeting Fergie, Duchess of Pork, in person in the 80s. It was soon after she and Andy married. She got to shake Fergie’s hand, and Fergie had a little chat with her. It was some official tour. She always talked about how much she liked her and her beautiful red hair. She was dazzled.

by Anonymousreply 212December 19, 2023 11:20 PM

[quote] Normal and pleasant.

So unlike Yoko Ono’s singing voice.

by Anonymousreply 213December 19, 2023 11:22 PM

R138 I encourage tired the wrestler Kevin Owens at Universal Studios and I was thrilled! He looks exactly the same in person as on screen. Not bad looking at all if you’re into bear types. I told him I was a big fan. He was quiet,polite and had sad eyes. I saw him a few more times that day and he was never smiling. Kind of a dark energy,

by Anonymousreply 214December 19, 2023 11:54 PM

*encountered* My god auto correct is terrible

by Anonymousreply 215December 19, 2023 11:56 PM

[quote] Princess Anne, at a small function where I could get a good look at her, when she was in her late teens. The camera does not like her--

"Princess Anne! Such an active, outdoorsy lass. She loves nature in spite of what it did to her."

--Bette Midler

by Anonymousreply 216December 19, 2023 11:58 PM

Goop and her mom at a Broadway premiere. Never thought she was anything special on screen, but she was luminously beautiful in person, as was her mother. They were both eating a big bag of gummy bears and looked like they enjoyed each other's company.

Donald Trump and Melania, the year he married her (I think) also at a Broadway show (might have been the same one). He is just as ugly in person, but very tall. His hair looked like cotton candy under the lobby lights and he was busy doing that fucking pointing thing that he thinks makes him look Alpha. Melania was quiet and civil and had a frozen expression on her face - I assume recent Botox. They left the show after the first song.

Debbie Harry, several times. Very sweet and very tiny. Had a dog in her handbag.

Sigourney Weaver several times (she is a friend's godmother). Always pleasant but intimidating and taller than I am, at least when she's wearing heels.

Anne Hathaway several times. She was delightful and down-to-earth.

Robert Downey Jr. and Molly Ringwald on the set of The Pick-Up Artist (my cousin was one of the kids Downey's character was supposed to be teaching and I visited when they filmed at the American Museum of Natural History). He led a flashlight tour of the dinosaur rooms (the movie was filmed at night) for us kids. Someone finally yelled at him and said "stop playing with the kids!" Molly peeped into the room where the extras were waiting once or twice. She had a "Oh no...more people?" expression on her face.

by Anonymousreply 217December 20, 2023 12:11 AM

Robert Redford in Park City, Utah. Very short, very skinny and very wizened. I couldn't believe how short he was and how craggy he looked.

by Anonymousreply 218December 20, 2023 12:15 AM

I've posted this before but I smoked a cigarette with Lisa Stansfield on the sidewalk outside a restaurant in Soho (NYC) back in 2003. The camera does not do her justice, she is luminously pretty in person. Just has a glow about her. We were both half in the bag on some really strong drinks and had a nice chat, she was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 219December 20, 2023 12:18 AM

It seems that of all the very handsome men in Hollwood history Robert Redford has aged the worst. And yes I'm including Brando.

by Anonymousreply 220December 20, 2023 12:18 AM

R204 The Meryl Streep/Robert De Niro movie is called Falling In Love.

by Anonymousreply 221December 20, 2023 12:33 AM

Somebody sure likes the word luminous.

by Anonymousreply 222December 20, 2023 12:33 AM

[quote] Somebody sure likes the word luminous.

Luminous beings are we not this crude matter!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223December 20, 2023 12:46 AM

r222 sure sounds like a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 224December 20, 2023 12:50 AM

R224:

[quote] [R222] sure sounds like a cunt.

A cunt R222 is.

by Anonymousreply 225December 20, 2023 12:52 AM

95% of these posts just recount celebrity sightings, not ones that were particularly surprising in any way. Wonder whether op is miffed!

by Anonymousreply 226December 20, 2023 12:56 AM

Goofy-- a lot stronger and hornier than I would have thought.

by Anonymousreply 227December 20, 2023 12:57 AM

[quote] Aren't most actors surpringly small?

Not really. I live in the Hamptons. Short celebs are usually people who started out as child stars.

by Anonymousreply 228December 20, 2023 1:02 AM

I've seen Marisa Tomei around town for years. She always looks very natural and quite pretty. She just turned fifty-nine which is remarkable, she looks way younger.

I doubt she's a Datalounger, but I guess she qualifies!

by Anonymousreply 229December 20, 2023 1:06 AM

[quote] I doubt she's a Datalounger, but I guess she qualifies!

She’s fat and cunty?

by Anonymousreply 230December 20, 2023 1:07 AM

Brad and Angelina.

Brad was orange like Trump orange.

Angelina was exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 231December 20, 2023 1:08 AM

Steve Buscemi: insanely charming and attractive in person

Henry Kissinger: a horrible aura of evil

by Anonymousreply 232December 20, 2023 1:27 AM

R211, did Raquel swing her arms when she walked? That bitch assaulted me on Amsterdam Ave in the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 233December 20, 2023 1:29 AM

Waiting for a genuine surprise, like... "I met Dick Cheney, and he was a bounty of mirth, a true joy to be around, and children naturally flocked to him"

by Anonymousreply 234December 20, 2023 1:31 AM

r222 Don't forget 'other worldly' as well

by Anonymousreply 235December 20, 2023 1:34 AM

i should have mentioned that kissinger’s horrible aura wasn’t actually a surprise at ALL, i guess i just wanted to throw that sighting in there. Was around 2007 at some ladeeda literary event at CUNY in manhattan, and everyone was bowing down to that war criminal during the cocktail part after some dumb reading. I ended up dumping someone over it because they were defending him.

by Anonymousreply 236December 20, 2023 1:38 AM

Do any of the celebrities have a smile that would light up a room? Or is that description exclusively reserved for the poor souls profiled on Dateline?

by Anonymousreply 237December 20, 2023 1:43 AM

Lots of cruises back in the day when they weren't cheap, and the dress code was strict. There were frequently celebrities (or titled aristocrats or business titans) onboard as passengers, or owners of the ship in a few cases.

Generally these were on vessels with anything from a few dozen guests to just a couple hundred.

Out of that the most exciting for me was Donald "You only live twice, 007" Pleasance. He was very nice, but quite shy and modest.

by Anonymousreply 238December 20, 2023 1:58 AM

[quote] Out of that the most exciting for me was Donald "You only live twice, 007" Pleasance.

I've found him fascinating in every role in which I've seen him.

by Anonymousreply 239December 20, 2023 2:04 AM

Stevie Nicks at the Safeway Market in Paradise Valley over 25 years ago. Petite and in shape, her hair in a bun with sunglasses shopping with a female assistant, barking "I told you get turkey burgers!' - she was laughing at the magazine rack and I knew who she was, and saw she knew. She gave a halting 'hi' and quickly moved away. i did not bother her any further, but her throaty laugh was great.

by Anonymousreply 240December 20, 2023 2:47 AM

Also had a pleasant encounter with SJP and Whitney Houston was much cooler than her p.r. - Joan Rivers was nice and more relaxed than on t.v.

by Anonymousreply 241December 20, 2023 3:17 AM

Nicole Kidman walking out of a local educational toy store. She wearing Docs and was exactly my height, 5’9. She’s tall for a woman, but not astonishingly so. The reason I noticed her at all is because she was so thin, I thought she was a teenager and noticed I was staring at a woman in her 40s.

Blake Lively waiting to get into a restaurant. She pointed out that we arrived before she did when the host cooed over her. Very pretty and warm, almost lit from the inside. Surprisingly curvy, almost strapping, but then again she’s usually pregnant.

Charlie Sheen and myself were late for a flight and milled around, embarrassed at the gate. He was tipsy (shocker) but very friendly and low-key with beautiful manners.

Mel Gibson in a lift, circa Apocalypto when he had that beard. We made pleasant small talk. He has a potent, powerful charisma, he takes up space if that makes sense. The penny didn’t drop for me until the later that day when I saw paparazzi pics of him leaving that same building. What a way to live.

Martin Freeman scowled at me for no reason when walking into the National Theatre. Ugly prick.

Nigel Havers checked out my mum in the Harrods food hall when we did the tourist thing. She was thrilled and remains so til this day.

Second hand, but the person whom Jennifer Aniston asked an opinion about wine in a liquor store reported to me that she’s very good-looking in real life.

by Anonymousreply 242December 20, 2023 3:18 AM

Vince Vaughn. Probably 10 years ago. Tall and stating to get beefy. He was walking down the street chatting with a friend. Ooozed casual charisma.

by Anonymousreply 243December 20, 2023 3:21 AM

I met two very tall and nice celebrities.

Max von Sydow when I was in my late teens. Like a human skyscraper. Quite handsome in his late sixties and very “normal” and understated as a person. Beautiful blue eyes.

Brooke Shields about six years ago. Her most distinct feature was that she was over six feet tall as a woman - otherwise she was soccer mom pretty. Chatty.

I’ve had other sightings that surprised me - Scarlett Johansson is under five feet tall and slim, the formerly stunning Jennifer Connelly looks like a decomposing skeleton below the neck, and Kathy Bates circa 2001 had the most incredible skin I’ve seen in my life. I can’t think of the rest now.

by Anonymousreply 244December 20, 2023 3:28 AM

R226 OP here. No not miffed. It's just that celebrities look different in person than on TV and I'm always surprised. Just wondering if anyone else was. What has really surprised me about this thread is the "glow" around John Kennedy Jr. I honestly never thought he was that good looking in print, just your average run-of-the-mill model type.

by Anonymousreply 245December 20, 2023 3:31 AM

Hillary Clinton. Her head seems huge but that might be because her body seemed superfluous. Just a huge head plopped on an ill defined blob of a body. She’s not heavy—but her body looked like something made by a kindergartener out of Playdoh.

Not saying this to be unkind. Just struck me how important her head is. She’s all brain. My boss arranged a meeting between us. Talked to her for about 5 minutes—correction—she talked for five minutes and all I managed to do was nod enthusiastically. Much warmer in person than her public image but serious. It was about after Trump got elected.

by Anonymousreply 246December 20, 2023 3:33 AM

Another endorsement of SJP being kindly. She even personally called someone I know who had given her something thru a rep.

by Anonymousreply 247December 20, 2023 3:36 AM

What strikes me about this thread is that there are so many people who are evidently more beautiful/charismatic in real life than they are on screen.

by Anonymousreply 248December 20, 2023 3:47 AM

I think I shared this on DL before—I interviewed Sharon Gless for a magazine article about 15 years ago. She was awesome. Funny, down to earth, candid, warm. Chain smoked and drank several cans of Diet Coke. Told me a lot of great stories. She adored Robert Wagner and hated Cybil Shepard. Seemed to be happily married.

by Anonymousreply 249December 20, 2023 3:47 AM

[quote] What strikes me about this thread is that there are so many people who are evidently more beautiful/charismatic in real life than they are on screen.

And luminous. Forget not luminous.

by Anonymousreply 250December 20, 2023 3:48 AM

[quote] What strikes me about this thread is that there are so many people who are evidently more beautiful/charismatic in real life than they are on screen.

I'm thinking:

1. Beauty / charisma doesn't transfer that well to the screen, so you have to be extra-charismatic. Like how you look 10 lbs. fatter. (You've got to be extra-slim and fit for that to show up on screen.)

2. DL posters are just starstruck and shocked to see a celebrity in the flesh. Hence, every celebrity looks "lit from within."

by Anonymousreply 251December 20, 2023 3:52 AM

Actually r251 many celebs are better looking in person and really do have a glow or something about them. All of us on this thread have seen them in person.

Leave it to some sour cunts on DL to fuck it all up with their bitterness.

by Anonymousreply 252December 20, 2023 4:02 AM

[quote]2. DL posters are just starstruck and shocked to see a celebrity in the flesh. Hence, every celebrity looks "lit from within."

That's just not true in my case, r251. The only celebrity I ever saw who looked like that was Bill Clinton. As I posted, I also saw George HW Bush when he was president (he was accepting an honorary degree at Princeton), and he didn't look that way at all.

And I've seen much, much handsomer and more sexually attractive celebrities (like Morgan Spector and Peter Krause, whom I posted about), and they didn't have that quality. And I saw Madeline Kahn in person, who is about the only celebrity I think I would have made a fool of myself over had I actually spoken to her (fortunately I didn't get he chance!), and even she didn't have that quality.

by Anonymousreply 253December 20, 2023 4:02 AM

R252. Exactly. Jane Fonda fitness guru will devour a plate of cookies. Trust me. I know. Away from the public they are just human like the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 254December 20, 2023 4:06 AM

r254 put down the bottle and go to bed. JFC.

by Anonymousreply 255December 20, 2023 4:22 AM

The camera can magnify flaws so it’s not surprising many look better in person

by Anonymousreply 256December 20, 2023 4:23 AM

[quote]Away from the public they are just human like the rest of us.

Surprisingly so, as a matter of fact.

by Anonymousreply 257December 20, 2023 4:29 AM

I sat next to Jennifer Tilly at the bar at The Playwrite on 8th Ave. about 20 years ago. She was very nice and didn't mind a little conversation (but I knew when to stop bugging her). I asked her about getting an Oscar nomination for Bullets Over Broadway, because I was a big Woody Allen fan. She just said something like "Yeah, Diane won that one." so I dropped it. She's very different when not "in character."

by Anonymousreply 258December 20, 2023 4:46 AM

My sister was Director of Development for a medical research center in New York in the 80s and 90s.

She is a very prosaic person and about as uninterested in celebrity as it is possible to be.

She was dining with a donor at the Four Seasons in 1986 or 1987 in the Grill Room.

She said "Suddenly the most beautiful boy and girl I had ever seen entered the room."

Evidently there was a very brief silence.

The were both very pale, black-haired, red-lipped and in full formal attire, the boy in black tie, the girl in a sweeping silver gown.

She described them as angelic vampires - or maybe vampire angels.

She said the boy was ebullient and playful, the girl far more reserved and elegant.

She thought she was seeing a brother and sister of some weird Eastern European royal family.

When she left she asked the hostess "Who are that rather amazing young couple?"

The hostess responded "Robert Downey Jr. and Jennifer Connelly, madam."

My sister said "Oh? Who are they?"

by Anonymousreply 259December 20, 2023 5:09 AM

1987 Jennifer C was not very well known.

by Anonymousreply 260December 20, 2023 5:11 AM

Neither was Robert Downey Jr., if memory serves.

by Anonymousreply 261December 20, 2023 5:14 AM

Jennifer Connelly was in Labyrinth in '86.

And yes, she was beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262December 20, 2023 5:17 AM

RDJ was on Saturday Night Live.

He was beautiful too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263December 20, 2023 5:19 AM

Robert Downey Jr. was in Weird Science in '86. And yes, he was beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264December 20, 2023 5:20 AM

Odd, but RDJ and Jennifer do seem to share an aesthetic, if not an appearance.

by Anonymousreply 265December 20, 2023 5:22 AM

SHE'S ALIVE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266December 20, 2023 5:24 AM

I concur with those who mentioned Charlize Theron being otherworldly. I sat near her on a flight, and she was among the most beautiful women I'd ever seen. She was almost in a cocoon of radiance with perfect hair, makeup, and deep, glowing eyes. And by otherworldly I don't mean she looked like the female Founder from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine to whom I'd compared her prior to seeing her in person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267December 20, 2023 5:25 AM

A strange thing for me was seeing Uma Thurman shopping in Fairway Market around 1990 (?)

1.) I was naively surprised she didn’t look supremely beautiful, because she often is onscreen. But she was painfully (almost horribly) thin, with lank hair twisted back into a knot. No visible makeup. Dulled and exhausted looking. And I immediately wondered if she had an eating disorder because she was dressed in that way women who hate their bodies do: layers and layers of long, drapey black. Like, black leggings, long black skirt, billowy black blouse over a turtleneck, a vest, a shawl… just SO MANY CLOTHES hanging off her at once.

2.) Her cart was full to the brim with vegetables. Multiple eggplants. Many many eggplants. Lots of bunches of carrots, celery, etc. It was strange. In retrospect, I figure she must have been hosting a vegetarian dinner party.

I love Uma Thurman - I’m not cutting her down. It was just such a surreal experience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268December 20, 2023 5:29 AM

Living in NYC in the 1970s and early 80s, I saw A LOT of celebrities. Hollywood's Golden Age actors were still alive. You could see them onstage and off stage walking around town.

The two most memorable for me were Garbo and Gloria Swanson.

Gloria Swanson was like a precious art-deco object. Like something that would sell at Sotheby's for millions of dollars.

And Garbo played Garbo....as she passed she raised her hand to cover her face.

by Anonymousreply 269December 20, 2023 5:34 AM

...precious antique art-deco object.

by Anonymousreply 270December 20, 2023 5:37 AM

r269 from the pictures I've seen of her, Gloria Swanson was beautiful even into her old age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271December 20, 2023 5:38 AM

Patti Lupone. Tiny AF. Except for her nose and MASSIVE ego. And pendulous udders.

Chita. Tiny. She is gracious, accessible, authentic and friendly. Not an ounce of pretense.

by Anonymousreply 272December 20, 2023 5:38 AM

My theory is that Patti Lupone is a bitter bitch because she was too ugly to be in movies.

She was great as Evita, though.

by Anonymousreply 273December 20, 2023 5:46 AM

Was Patti really ugly?

She looks pretty glamorous in Evita photos.

I didn't appreciate her shitting on Madonna's acting career (Not because she wasn't correct but because it seems petty.)

by Anonymousreply 274December 20, 2023 5:51 AM

I've seen a lot because of a close friend's job, but posting about that seems like a betrayal. But they were all A-list, tiny, had enormous heads, and were neurotic if you stuck around long enough to observe them.

So apart from that, I grew up in Massachusetts in a middle-class family and we had a boat. We would take the boat to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket every year for a two-week vacation. One year we were cruising into the Nantucket Boat Basin and I was on the bow ready to toss a line to someone in the slip we'd rented. A big, fancy yacht was passing us, and there was a man on the bow. I waved to him and he waved to me because that's what people did. My mother had been sitting in the dinette in the cabin smoking a Virginia Slim, and she dashed out on the stern deck and said to me, "Do you know who that is? It's Frank Sinatra!" I did not have any idea who Frank Sinatra was. But for the next week we were in Nantucket we heard stories from shopkeepers and waiters about Frank Sinatra passing through with his then girlfriend, Mia Farrow.

by Anonymousreply 275December 20, 2023 5:51 AM

I’m the one who was dazzled by Priscilla Presley’s beauty. I meant to say her eyes were WINDEX blue. I worked at a lot of those awards shows in the late 80s saw alot of celebrities - she was truly stop in your tracks lovely. I was very pretty in my twenties and I used to be able to turn heads - but Priscilla Presley in her 40s just wiped the floor with the younger women. She had a “Vivian Leigh/Scarlett” little tilt of the head. I remember years later on DWTS seeing her awful plastic surgery ……… In the early 1980s I saw Ricky Nelson in a small summer concert at the LA Arbortum. It was before John Lennon died and in hindsight it is freaky how close we were able to wander up close to the stage. It was a wonderful night. What a memorable voice! But he was TINY. ……… All of the Golden Girls were doing one of the Comedy Awards shows. I escorted Betty White - getting her to make up, her interviews, rehearsal, wardrobe etc - she had the knack of acting very personal with you - without being personal. She was” Betty White.” Another “she was much prettier in person” was Bea Arthur! She strutted around like a show girl to the music. The pianist and orchestra would play rehearsing the show - Bea would be one of those people who would get caught up with the music and sway and sing and bump and grind and respond to it. Even though she was an older lady she seemed much more youthful than Dorothy or Maude. ……..one Sunday at the bookstore in Santa Monica (was it Brentanos or Borders ?) A small familiar woman was in the same aisle. She seemed really familiar - but she looked more like an older nice teacher. Then I blurted out to her ! “Are you Linda Kaye Henning?!” How bizarre to meet my childhood hero Betty Joe Bradley.

by Anonymousreply 276December 20, 2023 6:42 AM

Of all the people I mentioned the two who had that beautiful glow around them was Gere and John Jr. I had a few other posts and non of them had that glow, that aura.

Another who did not have that 'luminous' quality' was Mick Jagger who would shop at the BDalton at 666 building on 5th. I worked there and he once came in with that famous model he was dating. You all know her I've just forgotten her name. But it was a long famous affair. As beautiful as she was she didn't have that glow either. But he never had security with him. Just another customer. And when I saw him at the Garden his charisma filled the place. Jared now owns that building and because it was 666 we all thought something would happen there and it never did unless you think Jared is the devil which he just might be. Last I know it was a big basketball store. Maybe it still is.

by Anonymousreply 277December 20, 2023 6:43 AM

Yes, yes I KNOW ViviEn Leigh with an EEE - I KNOWW!!

by Anonymousreply 278December 20, 2023 6:45 AM

Falling in Love. I knew Love was in the title. But I guess I keep forgetting it because it is the most inane movie title ever. Maybe that's why I've never even bothered to see it.

I saw Joan Rivers once on 5h Av interviewing people and her plastic surgery was more horrifying in person and it looked like all her skin had been gathered at her neck as if nothing been cut off. Scary.

by Anonymousreply 279December 20, 2023 6:52 AM

Sean Penn is tiny and wizened (this was in 2006 so I can imagine he's even more wizened now)

Aaron Ekhart: fit and small (also 2006)

by Anonymousreply 280December 20, 2023 6:59 AM

I had coffee and dessert with Kathy Bates around the time of MISERY (I arrived late and didn’t know she was dining with my friends.) I was taken aback by how lovely she was: very smooth, clear olive skin, large eyes, even features, good teeth, dark glossy hair.

It really says something about Hollywood that when an otherwise attractive woman is physically bulky, she gets cast as a monster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281December 20, 2023 7:14 AM

Most surprising for me was meeting Ashton Kutcher at SXSW one year. He was not nearly as good-looking in person. He also had a very off-putting, manic energy. Demi was with him and he would interrupt her any time she started to talk.

by Anonymousreply 282December 20, 2023 7:18 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283December 20, 2023 7:18 AM

My sister saw Sean Penn at JFK airport. Sis is short. Said that Sean Penn is tiny. I don’t know about wizened, but that makes sense, considering the smoking, etc.

by Anonymousreply 284December 20, 2023 7:34 AM

[quote]What does Brad Pitt look like in person other than jaw dropping?

To me, he's a good looking man but his looks never awed me (but I'm immune to blonds). I met him by chance, however, and we were introduced as having a shared interest. He was uncommonly charming, very affable, a close-talker and soft-spoken, wants to look directly into your eyes at close range with a very focused charm which is always a little disarming in a goodlooking stranger. We talked only 5 minutes or so but, as with some other recognizable celebrities I've met, he seemed delighted to talk when the conversation was centered on his work or his celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 285December 20, 2023 9:29 AM

I saw Jude Law in person in Tribeca.

by Anonymousreply 286December 20, 2023 9:33 AM

Ah, another one just came to mind:

2008, TINA TURNER backstage (I had those "golden" tickets for a little meet & greet). Even with the heels and the big hair, she was tiny. Beautiful skin at 69 years old, incredibly charismatic. Some words, like "super" were pronounced with a bit of a German accent ("sooper")

by Anonymousreply 287December 20, 2023 9:52 AM

Many years ago I was walking up E. 50th in NYC, and as I got to (what was then) the Helmsley Palace Hotel a limousine pulled up and stopped right next to the hotel. As I got a few feet from the car the driver opened the back passenger door and out popped Martha Graham dressed in a flaming red dress with a long flowing red cape. She looked around and growled to the chauffeur "is this where I'm staying?", and then swung around holding the seam of her cape which completely enveloped me. I started laughing, she started laughing, and she released me from her garment and apologized. I just said "no problem Miss Graham", which seemed to delight her that I knew who she was. What shocked me was how clown like she looked. She was the most heavily made up broad I had ever laid eyes upon, and looked just like she does in this photo. Her mouth looked 6" wide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288December 20, 2023 10:03 AM

Sorry, I mistyped. It was Virginia Graham, not Martha Graham.

by Anonymousreply 289December 20, 2023 10:14 AM

I met Dawson late on a Sunday and he wouldn't take my load.

Maybe 51 would have ruined the nice round number.

by Anonymousreply 290December 20, 2023 10:14 AM

[quote]I saw Joan Rivers once on 5h Av interviewing people and her plastic surgery was more horrifying in person and it looked like all her skin had been gathered at her neck as if nothing been cut off. Scary.

I saw Joan and daughter Melissa at LAX and was struck by how much alike they were, especially how small and (it must be said) wizened they appeared, shrivelled starvelings the pair of them. When I lived in LA I noticed that a lot of actors have a similar look off-camera-- sort of puny and dessicated. I saw Jodie Foster in person and ever since she is my go-to exemplar of this unfortunate look. She wasn't at all old at the time (1991) but appeared older than her age. My guess is that this is a result of severe caloric restriction, possibly in concert with smoking, but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 291December 20, 2023 10:44 AM

1996 - Rosie O'Donnell walking alone and crying on the UWS.

by Anonymousreply 292December 20, 2023 12:01 PM

Years ago the playwright Edward Albee watched me swallowing loads in the smaller front room at Les Hommes on 80th at Amsterdam.

by Anonymousreply 293December 20, 2023 1:12 PM

Melora Hardin, Gwyneth Paltrow, Lisa Stansfield, Richard Gere and John Jr. are luminous.

Mick Jagger lacks luminosity.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 294December 20, 2023 1:30 PM

I was getting on a plane years ago and walked past Jack Lalanne sitting in the first class section. He looked like any little old man, not a legendary fitness guru. The seat he was in seemed to be engulfing him.

by Anonymousreply 295December 20, 2023 1:45 PM

I've told this before. OJ Simpson. Obviously before the murders. I was invited to a party at a friend's house and he was there. Talk about charming, charismatic and handsome. Tremendous body. My mom was with me and he talked to her like he was talking to his own mom. When we left, he was leaving at the same time and was parked down a ways from us. We waved at him and he RAN to us, shook my hand and hugged my mom and said how much he looked forward to seeing us at the next party. The trial was hard for my mom because she couldn't believe that this man who was so kind to a stranger could be so savage.

Kristin Kreuk, Lana of Smallville. Sat next to her on an airplane from NY. About 5 feet tall and totally dazzlingly beautiful. We gossiped the entire trip.

by Anonymousreply 296December 20, 2023 2:15 PM

R296 OJ was a hot piece of ass back in the day before he became a murderer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297December 20, 2023 2:19 PM

R289, I sat at a table in a NY restaurant next to Virginia Graham (we were both alone) and she wouldn't stop bugging me.

Saw Kris Kristofferson around 1980 when he had cut his beard off, he walked past me and I got a good look. All I could think of was LEATHER FACE.

Likewise, Frank Sinatra walked past or hurried past me, 1980s. My companion pointed him out before or I wouldn't have recognized him. Short, tubby, and that "fat face" look one gets after plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 298December 20, 2023 2:19 PM

Ray Charles being escorted through the terminal at LAX.

Again, another celebrity who was surprisingly shorter than I had imagined. 5'8" at best. I always thought he was at least 6'.

by Anonymousreply 299December 20, 2023 2:23 PM

I was walking in West Hollywood when a tall, stunning guy asked me where Circus of Books was. I said I was going there so we walked the half block. It was Joey Stefano. Porn stars are mostly short but he was well over 6 feet.

by Anonymousreply 300December 20, 2023 2:25 PM

Dawn Davenport eating a meatball sandwich right out in class!

by Anonymousreply 301December 20, 2023 2:27 PM

I am not surprised that OJ Simpson was charming and friendly to strangers. He seemed that way. He had a lot of fans, he enjoyed his fans and made time for fans in his everyday life.

by Anonymousreply 302December 20, 2023 2:32 PM

[quote] Ray Charles being escorted through the terminal at LAX.

Lazy and entitled.

by Anonymousreply 303December 20, 2023 2:34 PM

[quote]Saw Kris Kristofferson around 1980 when he had cut his beard off, he walked past me and I got a good look. All I could think of was LEATHER FACE.

Kristofferson stood next to me in line at Houston's Hobby Airport many years ago. In keeping with my comment above at R291 about emaciated celebrities Kristofferson was extremely thin, with his clothes hanging off him like a scarecrow.

by Anonymousreply 304December 20, 2023 2:41 PM

Stephen Baldwin, the crazy Christian right wing Baldwin brother, in line at the Starbucks at JFK airport.

I wasn't surprised by how short he was, but I was surprised (pleasantly) at how polite he was to everyone. "Thank you, ma'am," "excuse me, sir."

I figured that since he was a Baldwin, he'd be a total asshole.

by Anonymousreply 305December 20, 2023 2:46 PM

I was waiting for a friend backstage after Fiddler on the Roof and Andrea Martin walked past me. She was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 306December 20, 2023 2:50 PM

Maggie Gyllenhaal. Surprised at how much more attractive she was in person.

by Anonymousreply 307December 20, 2023 2:54 PM

R299, I waved at Ray Charles one time in an airport and he didn’t even respond.

by Anonymousreply 308December 20, 2023 3:00 PM

[quote] Saw Kris Kristofferson around 1980 when he had cut his beard off, he walked past me and I got a good look. All I could think of was LEATHER FACE.

He was only 44 in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 309December 20, 2023 3:04 PM

Celebrity in prison? I guess Wednesday Snipes from that Dagger movie.

by Anonymousreply 310December 20, 2023 3:09 PM

I've learned from this thread that celebrities are:

Lilliputian

Skeletal

Luminous

by Anonymousreply 311December 20, 2023 3:29 PM

R311, that’s me rolled all into one!

by Anonymousreply 312December 20, 2023 3:34 PM

At a Star Trek thing a couple of years ago before the final season of Picard aired, Gates McFadden (Dr. Crusher on the show) sat down in front of me. She was tall and yes, impossibly thin but slumped in an osteoporosis kind of way. Of course, in Picard she was kicking ass in fight scenes. All movie magic. Jerry O'Connell came in and sat a few seats down, all smiling and waving. Maybe high? His brow ridge was frozen like a Neanderthal's.

by Anonymousreply 313December 20, 2023 3:38 PM

[quote]Of all the people I mentioned the two who had that beautiful glow around them was Gere and John Jr. I had a few other posts and non of them had that glow, that aura.

Diana, Princess of Wales is the only celebrity I've met that had that aura/'luminous' charisma about them. Admittedly I have not met that many celebs - plenty of minor ones.

by Anonymousreply 314December 20, 2023 3:39 PM

O.J. did not kill Nicole- or even intend to. He hired a drifter to rob her house after the lights went out, so he could retrieve jewelry he had given her (as we saw later, he hates to feel ripped-off). Unfortunately the hired thief was psychotic, got into a deadly altercation with Ron Goldman on the sidewalk and slit Nicole's throat when she rushed outside screaming.

So O.J. could very well be as nice, sweet and charming as he appeared to be.

by Anonymousreply 315December 20, 2023 3:41 PM

R314 Kahrershma, loomnoshty, shiksha wun...

by Anonymousreply 316December 20, 2023 3:42 PM

[quote]Kahrershma, loomnoshty, shiksha wun...—Lizsha

You mock but perhaps you've just never experienced it.... Charisma is a thing.

by Anonymousreply 317December 20, 2023 3:44 PM

Mohammed Ali sitting alone on a bench against a wall in the baggage claim area at O'Hare, back in the 80's. He looked quite sad, and a bit pathetic. I was shocked there was no one there to protect him. Luckily while I had him in my view no one bothered him. Frankly, I don't think most people realized who it was.

by Anonymousreply 318December 20, 2023 3:46 PM

r317

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319December 20, 2023 3:48 PM

R318, was that before his Parkinson’s affliction was announced?

by Anonymousreply 320December 20, 2023 3:49 PM

[quote]I was shocked there was no one there to protect him.

This is pretty funny when it's Muhammed Ali. He did publicly release his Parkinson's diagnosis in 1984 though (he'd have been in his early 40s then).

by Anonymousreply 321December 20, 2023 3:51 PM

R317 That glow, the aura you find so convincing, could just be grease on your glasses from the french fries.

by Anonymousreply 322December 20, 2023 3:52 PM

R322 So you don't believe that charisma exists?

by Anonymousreply 323December 20, 2023 3:57 PM

[quote]The trial was hard for my mom because she couldn't believe that this man who was so kind to a stranger could be so savage.

Genuinely, it was hard for a lot of people (such as myself) who are of the age to have been around when he was a huge celebrity. His charm was always off the charts and he broke through color barriers at a time when it was very difficult for black people to do so. Personally, I couldn’t watch the trial and kept my distance from the whole situation as it unfolded because it made me so sad.

by Anonymousreply 324December 20, 2023 3:59 PM

Has anyone met Barack Obama?

by Anonymousreply 325December 20, 2023 4:00 PM

R315 = Sydney Simpson

by Anonymousreply 326December 20, 2023 4:11 PM

R297 - damn! That is an incredible body and dick!

by Anonymousreply 327December 20, 2023 4:23 PM

I've told this story here before, but now I can tell all of it, because the celebrity is dead.

I was at a lunchtime AA meeting in Storrs, CT in1995, and after the meeting, I walked up to a stranger to the meeting and said, "You look just like Peter Tork from the Monkees!" He replied, "That's because I AM Peter Tork from The Monkees!"

He was incredibly nice, normal, chatty (for a New Englander), and, believe-it-or-not, brilliant. No, he wasn't short -- I would say about 5'11". Lanky. He was there visiting his family -- his father was a professor at UCONN (where I was in grad school) and had a big house not too far away from my apartment. We went out for lunch, and I spent the entire afternoon hanging out with him. He ended up offering me and my gf backstage tickets to that evening's show.

Sadly, I was overwhelmed with work for my Ph.D., and I had already lost a chunk of work time hanging with him, so I declined. But he was such a great guy -- so funny and smart and so much fun. I was very happy to have met him.

BTW, he told me that Davy Jones was the REAL drunk out of the four of them.

by Anonymousreply 328December 20, 2023 5:08 PM

Speaking of the Monkees, I saw Micky Dolenz when, in 2007, we were both in attendance at Feinstein’s at the Regency watching Peter Gallagher sing. I tried making eye contact to signify recognition, but he was not interested in the least.

by Anonymousreply 329December 20, 2023 5:25 PM

I saw Val Kilmer in a Tower Records but I didn’t recognize him, someone pointed him out to me. He wasn’t at all remarkable and had bad skin.

by Anonymousreply 330December 20, 2023 5:27 PM

"Jesus Christ—better looking than in pics."

Was he tiny and/or luminous?

by Anonymousreply 331December 20, 2023 5:28 PM

R281 That is exactly what I was struck by meeting Kathy Bates too. She’s so often cast as homely women because she’s fat, but she had much lovelier features than many “beauties” I’ve met.

I mentioned this in the May December thread but I met Julianne Moore a few months ago and she is elegant in a way I’m not sure many current stars are - actually reminded me of von Sydow in that she seemed intelligent and understated. And she must wear tons of SPF considering her skin is amazing for a 62 year old ginger in a way beyond the power of surgery.

by Anonymousreply 332December 20, 2023 5:29 PM

I saw Goody Proctor dancing with the devil!

by Anonymousreply 333December 20, 2023 5:32 PM

Also, used to visit Kim’s Video Store in the early 2000s often as my best friend worked there. Lots of celebrities, more on the indie director side, but ones I remember distinctly:

- Harmony Korine was small and nerdy and acted like a petulant little child. Chloe Sevigny was with him and very unremarkable looking but much quieter and seemed embarrassed.

- Vincent Gallo came in to glower at the children’s movie section. Looks exactly like he does in photos/on screen. Wore very high heeled boots, which is interesting because I’ve seen him without them and he’s not that short, probably around 5’9.

by Anonymousreply 334December 20, 2023 5:39 PM

I was very lucky in my younger years to meet a few famous politicians and two of the greatest athletes of the 20th century.

To reply to R325, I met Obama in 2011 after a speaking engagement at a local university. He was articulate and energetic, and exuded confidence and humble charisma. In a word, presidential. Surprised? Not really. But I felt so fortunate to meet him during his Presidency.

I used to travel to NYC quite a bit. I shook hands with Bill Clinton after an ESPA fundraising dinner in NYC in 1999 (Hilary was too hard to schedule, but Bill was on his way out and easier to invite). There was a receiving line after his speech. In an unexpected burst of exuberant self-confidence, I blurted out "Hello, Mr. President, my name is Gay Gayerson and it's a pleasure to shake your hand, sir!" He locked eyes with me and said calmly "Hello, Gay. It's an honor to meet you." He moved on to the next in line - two screaming women who wanted a selfie- before the term "selfie" was really a thing. I was blown away by his ability to make me feel like I was the only person in a crowded room, when everyone was pressing forward to shake his hand.

Prior to that, I met Al Gore at a roundtable event in NYC in 1998, shortly before he announced his candidacy for President. I went in expecting to meet a stuffed shirt with good hair and a big ego. To my complete surprise, he was refreshingly disarming and down-to-earth. He was hands-down the most intelligent person I'd ever met, listening attentively and asking questions with uncanny insight. His ability to immediately understand and empathize with someone was acute. I'd never witnessed anything like it - and I walked out determined to volunteer for his campaign. I did exactly that.

Around 2002, I was having breakfast with a friend in the lobby of a hotel on 54th St. A classy, well-dressed black family was seated at the table next to ours, and they displayed impeccable manners. It was Muhammed Ali with his wife and their two youngest children. My friend whispered to me who he thought we were sitting next to, and we did our best not to oggle. When our eyes happened to lock, Ali gently smiled and nodded in a polite greeting. And yes, I was surprised by their gentility.

To this day, the greatest and most dynamic of the famous people I've ever met was Secretariat. I did my undergrad in Lexington, Kentucky in the late 80s, and worked for a florist who had clients among the wealthy, gentried horse farm owners of the Bluegrass. One client in particular often sent flowers to her friends at other horse farms. This occasionally included deliveries to Caliborne Farm, where Secretariat was stabled and literally put out to pasture after his retirement. With the permission of the lady of the house, I stopped many times at the paddock before my exit, and Secratariat would come right up to the white-painted wood fence to say hello. I'd rub his nose and forehead (my family had quarter horses at our farm in NY State, part of the reason I was allowed to stop) and scratch behind his ears. He was a total ham, and I spent enough time with him to fall in love with his greatness and his humble, yet stratospheric personality. He knew exactly who and what he was - brilliant and regal. For a few brief moments, he was all mine. I'll forever be grateful.

by Anonymousreply 335December 20, 2023 5:53 PM

[quote] To this day, the greatest and most dynamic of the famous people I've ever met was Secretariat.

R335 puts the Sarah Jessica Parker posts to shame.

by Anonymousreply 336December 20, 2023 6:07 PM

R335, it’s often been noted that, in opposite ways, the public images of both Clinton (charming) & Gore (stiff) so belied the men people encountered off stage.

by Anonymousreply 337December 20, 2023 6:13 PM

Robert Redford had the worst acne I've ever seen on an adult.

Lens Dunham was bigger than she appeared on my tv screen. Nastier too.

by Anonymousreply 338December 20, 2023 6:15 PM

Jimmy Fallon was fall=down drunk last time I saw him. In the last year.

by Anonymousreply 339December 20, 2023 6:17 PM

"To this day, the greatest and most dynamic of the famous people I've ever met was Secretariat."

You sure that wasn't SJP?

by Anonymousreply 340December 20, 2023 6:35 PM

More detail on your Lens encounter please r338.

by Anonymousreply 341December 20, 2023 6:43 PM

In a Baltimore hotel ,in the elevator, with Jason Priestley. He was so small he could have been a child. Made serious eye contact with me but never spoke a word.

by Anonymousreply 342December 20, 2023 6:54 PM

A local celeb and big baseball name, Joe Nuxhall at Kroger back in the early 90s.

I had an arm full of dog food and he had a cart of groceries. He kindly let me go in front of him, since I only had 6 items.

Looked just like he did in the commercials.

by Anonymousreply 343December 20, 2023 6:57 PM

R342 I saw Jason Priestley in Mastro's in Beverly Hills, probably around 2015 or so. We were sitting on the upper level but could see the downstairs bar. He came in and sat at the bar, pretty much silenced all the conversations of those who could see him. He's incredibly good looking. Then later, he came upstairs and sat in another more private section but we saw him coming up the stairs. Very striking eyes. Seemed to be casually enjoying himself. No, he's not tall but he's very hot.

by Anonymousreply 344December 20, 2023 7:07 PM

But did any of these people have charisma? exude charm? other worldly?

by Anonymousreply 345December 20, 2023 7:08 PM

I saw the charismatic Matt LeBlanc exuding charm at a car show. He was other worldly. He looked 100% like you'd think, other than his skin was worse because he was not wearing makeup, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 346December 20, 2023 7:20 PM

r315 is the dumbest motherfucker in America.

by Anonymousreply 347December 20, 2023 7:27 PM

I was lucky enough to meet Thumbelina at the height of her fame. She was bigger than I expected - at least four inches high, and so luminous that in a dark room you could read by her!

by Anonymousreply 348December 20, 2023 7:30 PM

Bette Davis dining at the Oak Room restaurant at the Plaza Hotel in the late 1980s. She was smartly dressed in a jade green dress and was with an elderly man and a very attractive young woman who I believe was her personal assistant in her later years. Bette Davis was very tiny and very thin and frail-looking. This wasn't too long before she died and you could tell she wasn't well. She was smoking, of course. The waitstaff doted on her and she was very friendly to them, and I saw a few people approach her for an autograph and she pleasantly obliged.

I've seen a lot of celebrities in person, but Bette Davis was my ultimate sighting.

by Anonymousreply 349December 20, 2023 7:44 PM

John Mayer, closeup in a Publix back during his Atlanta years in the late 90s, before he was famous. I had seen him perform in a local club, but from way back in the crowd so I couldn't tell much about him. Closeup he was (at least in my opinion) exquisite and quite tall.

by Anonymousreply 350December 20, 2023 7:54 PM

Have told this story before, but my smart, stunning (late) sister recounted her meeting two celebrities at a 1996-adjacent Democratic convention event in Chicago, where she lived. One was JFK, Jr. The other was Kevin Costner. As to JFK, Jr., her take was simply that there was "no there there." But Costner was another matter entirely. Although she had never before been much of a fan, she was taken aback by his looks and his charisma.

by Anonymousreply 351December 20, 2023 8:07 PM

Liar! Thumbelina is at least 6" tall!

by Anonymousreply 352December 20, 2023 8:07 PM

^ at it again.

by Anonymousreply 353December 20, 2023 8:59 PM

So much charisma, R351

by Anonymousreply 354December 20, 2023 9:02 PM

r351 "no there there." Is your sister, um, special?

by Anonymousreply 355December 20, 2023 9:04 PM

I’ve seen Costner in person. He was hansome, maybe smaller than I would have thought.

I was working at a hotel where he was staying and he was looking at the Christmas decorations in the hotel interior.

He had a nice demeanor. He was by himself, just looking around.

I wouldn’t say he was luminous or charming.

by Anonymousreply 356December 20, 2023 9:52 PM

r356 But was he charismatic?

by Anonymousreply 357December 20, 2023 9:54 PM

That’s neat, R356.

by Anonymousreply 358December 20, 2023 9:55 PM

She sure was special, R351. I remember meeting one man who told me she was “one of the most beautiful woman walking the face of the earth.”

by Anonymousreply 359December 20, 2023 10:08 PM

R324 that’s how I felt about Bill Cosby. I loved him as a child. He was hilarious, warm, fun and everyone wanted him for a dad. Turns out he is a total creep and sexual predator rapist. I have never been more shocked about a revelation about someone and it was honestly hard to believe—but it is true.

by Anonymousreply 360December 20, 2023 10:52 PM

This isn’t about a star’s appearance, but their behavior. Two words: Shelley Winters.

My friend is an actor who’s gifted, realistic minded… he’s about the most non-neurotic actor I know. He works a lot in supporting roles. In 1995 he had a small part in HEAVY.

As he was walking to the set on his first morning, Ms. Winters lumbered out of her trailer. She locked eyes with him, pulled her robe around herself, and shrieked, “Stop staring at my tits! STOP STARING AT MY TITS!!”

He was rather taken aback, and continued on.

It’s hard to imagine HOW one should respond to that…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361December 20, 2023 11:34 PM

What dumb cunt apparently is too far right on the autism spectrum to believe in "charisma"?

by Anonymousreply 362December 20, 2023 11:49 PM

Joan Rivers when Melissa was a Penn undergrad. They were buying lunch from a food truck (Snow White truck, the one everyone thought was the best). She was tiny, tiny. Very friendly and chatty with anyone who dared say hi. Melissa was TOTALLY EMBARRASED and wanted to die!

by Anonymousreply 363December 20, 2023 11:53 PM

R300 Fail. Nick was 5'9" tops. Even lying on his back ,which was mostly where I saw him.

by Anonymousreply 364December 20, 2023 11:58 PM

R357, no. No charisma was emanating from Kevin Costner. None that I could detect, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 365December 21, 2023 12:02 AM

Are you a gorgeous woman, R365?

by Anonymousreply 366December 21, 2023 12:34 AM

r362 You're an idiot, dear. Not a single person said they didn't believe in it, goofus. Numerous people were just making fun of how many people used that word. You'll be okay - lighten up.

by Anonymousreply 367December 21, 2023 12:45 AM

r361 Watch this funny old guy talk about his work with Shelley Winters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368December 21, 2023 12:46 AM

I had to look up Larry Randolph.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369December 21, 2023 1:16 AM

[quote]R291 I saw Joan and daughter Melissa at LAX and was struck by how much alike they were, especially how small and (it must be said) wizened they appeared, shrivelled starvelings the pair of them.

Joan passed her sickness(es) on to her (worthless) daughter.

by Anonymousreply 370December 21, 2023 2:27 AM

R67 wait Mitch from the X-Files? Did you ahve sex with him and are you male because that man has an amazing body - Big dick?

by Anonymousreply 371December 21, 2023 2:37 AM

I lived and worked in London for a while, at one point got free tickets for a royal thing at the Palladium (? I think it was). Charles and Diana were still together at the time so it was a million years ago. Ugh, I'm not a fan of the royals but it was something different so we dressed up and went. Good seats, close to the royal box, perfect view of Diana.

She was beautiful, absolutely stunning; I really could not take my eyes off her. I had no idea what was happening on the stage most of the evening, and the person I was with was really pissed at that but, my god, Diana was incredible.

by Anonymousreply 372December 21, 2023 2:41 AM

The tiresome trolls who find it hard to believe that the few specimens who are paid tens of millions of dollars to have their faces projected onto an enormous movie screen with the goal of drawing hundreds of millions of dollars in ticket sales are somehow exponentially more beautiful than the flabby and blemished masses are too much.

Carry on DL, with your stories of the most luminous and charismatic among us! And especially if they’re tall. I love tall. Bonus if they smell good.

by Anonymousreply 373December 21, 2023 2:50 AM

[quote]r373 …more beautiful than the flabby and blemished masses…

I’m [italic]BIG BONED!

by Anonymousreply 374December 21, 2023 2:55 AM

r335 you need to write a book! amazing tales!

by Anonymousreply 375December 21, 2023 3:28 AM

i was in a children’s choir in canada that performed for the queen and prince philip.

afterwards there was a receiving line we all stood in as they walked past. she was unsurprisingly short, he was much taller than I’d imagined.

She exuded a strange almost eerie energy/vibration, which i guess is normal as the most famous person in the world? Philip had some of that but with a more bored affect.

by Anonymousreply 376December 21, 2023 3:32 AM

[quote]r376 the queen… She exuded a strange almost eerie energy/vibration

Meth, it’s been said.

by Anonymousreply 377December 21, 2023 5:19 AM

My family for years went to a Labor Day church festival, St. Anthony's Church in Batesville IN. They would feed you an incredible 'dinner', actually around noon. Leaving, John Cougar Nellencamp arrived, longer hair, smoking a cigarette with a much younger girl. I had never thought he was that hot before, but he looked really good. Nobody ran up to bother him, just heads turned at realizing it was him.

by Anonymousreply 378December 21, 2023 7:00 AM

I met Jimmy Somerville who I knew was short, at 5'1". But I didn't know he was incredibly well hung, not just for a short guy. He's also incredibly hairy.

I'm 6'3" so he didn't have to bend too far down to suck my cock.

by Anonymousreply 379December 21, 2023 7:45 AM

Julianne Moore with her kid years back in the West Village. Sat morning she was in green t and denim skirt with flip flops. Chatted with the Afghan vendor and kid was so well behaved. Said good morning to me wasn't it a beautiful morning. Didn't expect anything less.

by Anonymousreply 380December 21, 2023 8:00 AM

r378 John Cougar Nellencamp sounds like a drag name.

by Anonymousreply 381December 21, 2023 10:28 AM

How is my luminosity unrecognized?

by Anonymousreply 382December 21, 2023 3:37 PM

R373 Even Chrissy won't finish that sentence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383December 21, 2023 3:47 PM

I have never encountered a glowing person in my 50 years. I have seen less than ten people that I considered to be unbelievably beautiful. Maybe even less than five because I can only recall four.

by Anonymousreply 384December 21, 2023 4:50 PM

[quote]I have never encountered a glowing person in my 50 years. I have seen less than ten people that I considered to be unbelievably beautiful. Maybe even less than five because I can only recall four.

Most of us haven't amongst ordinary people but met that one or two rare major celeb who did. That's the difference.

by Anonymousreply 385December 21, 2023 4:53 PM

R384, where do you live? How many celebrities? Many DLers are in the entertainment business and/or live in LA, NY, etc. and it's very easy to see stunning people there. Hell, in LA, I used to see waiters I thought were better looking than some stars. As for the celebrities, that glow comes from serious skin care as well as heredity.

by Anonymousreply 386December 21, 2023 4:53 PM

I’m R384 and I have always loved in California as well as spending substantial time in LA. I grew up around females who ended up as actresses, models and one who made covers of magazines. So it wasn’t like I grew up in a state with a lot of fuglies.

by Anonymousreply 387December 21, 2023 4:56 PM

In the mid 1970s, I saw songstress Lena Horne getting into a limo with many bags, in Boston I think. It was cold out and she was covered in fur, and was a glamorous 50-something lady. A couple of people waved and she smiled back. Accompanying her was a short white women I thought was probably her assistant, but I've learned it was Kitty A'Lessio, pres of Chanel USA. A close "friend."

by Anonymousreply 388December 21, 2023 5:45 PM

Ya know who had luminosity? Helen Lawson, that's who. A strange almost eerie energy/vibration, glowed so hard you could light a Virginia Slim off her face.

by Anonymousreply 389December 21, 2023 5:55 PM

In Shaker Heights I saw lustrous songbird Irene Carisma with mesmerizing raisin titty nipples that glowed incandescently. I remember her name!!!

by Anonymousreply 390December 21, 2023 6:00 PM

Anne He he had that rare radiant luminescence, as if lit from within.

by Anonymousreply 391December 21, 2023 6:04 PM

I used to work near the Fox News building and would occasionally see scumbag Bill O'Reilly on the street. Very tall, always had a scowl on his face and looked mean. I would also see the other scumbag Sean Hannity. He looked like your drunk Irish uncle on his way to the bar. Looked fatter in person. Shepard Smith was always outside the building smoking on the sidewalk. Very thin, his eyes look even more wide-set in person. I saw various blonde women who were Fox anchors (I never knew their names) and they all looked like call girls on their way to meet a client. Kind of whorish-looking.

by Anonymousreply 392December 21, 2023 6:06 PM

r379 how hung? I mean at 5'1" it must look huge.

by Anonymousreply 393December 21, 2023 6:52 PM

So many of us who see celebrities in real life are surprised at their shorter stature. We're all so used to see them on the big screen, looking bigger than life, that when we see them in person looking like the rest of us, it's jarring.

When you see Joan Crawford in movies, she looks tall and imposing. It's hard to believe she was only 5'3".

by Anonymousreply 394December 21, 2023 7:05 PM

My sister sat behind Madonna at a concert some years back. She said Madonna’s platinum blonde hair reflected light in a way that gave her a bit of a glow. She also said Madonna was really short.

by Anonymousreply 395December 21, 2023 9:42 PM

Lena was 5’6” or so, just as I had imagined her. The girlfriend was shorter than I would have imagined her. If I had imagined her.

by Anonymousreply 396December 21, 2023 11:01 PM

I really need to know if anyone has seen Chrissy Metz in person and if she is really as big as she seems, or did the camera add 50 pounds?

by Anonymousreply 397December 22, 2023 1:04 AM

Only after she finished eating it, R397

by Anonymousreply 398December 22, 2023 1:49 AM

Helen Lawson. I thought the carpet wouldn't match the drapes.

by Anonymousreply 399December 22, 2023 1:53 AM

I sat within spitting distance of Kate at a matinee of Lillian with Zoe Caldwell. She looked like what I had imagined she would look like.

Doing extra work, I thought Robert Urich had an ample caboose.

by Anonymousreply 400December 22, 2023 2:01 AM

R400, which Kate?

by Anonymousreply 401December 22, 2023 2:36 AM

Hepburn

by Anonymousreply 402December 22, 2023 2:39 AM

Nellie McKay is tiny.

by Anonymousreply 403December 22, 2023 2:50 AM

WHET Nellie McKay?

by Anonymousreply 404December 22, 2023 2:51 AM

Michael Imperioli, Christopher from The Sopranos, a restaurant in New York, a dwarf with a head the size of a pumpkin

by Anonymousreply 405December 22, 2023 2:59 AM

Mick Jagger at a small book party many years ago in Manhattan. He had a cold and was hoarse. Super wrinkly, purple shiny blazer, engaging, smart, hair looked oddly brassy (dyed?). Good manners; helped some old lady to a chair and got her a drink. Oddly I completely forget the book.

Ben Stiller on E 10th. Furtive electric blue eyes.

Matt Damon and his happy-seeming brood at a MA toy shop. Left in a massive black Suburban.

Dominick Dunne at a DC party. Mole-like, rumpled. Stood alone. Sure wish I'd talked to him.

by Anonymousreply 406December 22, 2023 3:01 AM

R405 so he has a huge head to go along with his huge nose? Sounds really fug

by Anonymousreply 407December 22, 2023 3:21 AM

[quote] Matt Damon and his happy-seeming brood at a MA toy shop. Left in a massive black Suburban.

What did his ass look like in person?

by Anonymousreply 408December 22, 2023 3:23 AM

R404 Nellie is a singer.

by Anonymousreply 409December 22, 2023 3:36 AM

New to DL, r409?

by Anonymousreply 410December 22, 2023 3:39 AM

[quote]R389 Ya know who had luminosity? Helen Lawson, that's who. A strange almost eerie energy/vibration, glowed so hard you could light a Virginia Slim off her face.

Well, wasn’t she doing some quick, money-grab club dates near Hiroshima and Nagasaki in the mid 40s?

She was criticized for it at the time, like when Linda Ronstadt played South Africa.

by Anonymousreply 411December 22, 2023 4:33 AM

what is it with all these actors who have skinny bodies and huge heads? I heard Ben Affleck has a huge head too.

by Anonymousreply 412December 22, 2023 4:53 AM

A few years ago I saw “Light in the Piazza” at the Mark Taper Forum. Renee Fleming and Dove Cameron were super. I sat in the balcony. Waiting to go into the door of the balcony I spied a 4 foot tall wood nymph - kidding - it was everyone ‘s favorite Phoebe Figerlilly - Juliet Mills. Aside looking like she has shrunk to doll size - she looked exactly like herself. She wore that same hairdo - you know bare forehead and no bangs. She wore a little black velvet skirt and black tights and little black flat slippers. Her companion was extremely solicitous of her - he looked like a balding King Charles before I realized - sweet God that balding old man is Maxwell Caulfield!!!

by Anonymousreply 413December 22, 2023 5:25 AM

R412, it makes them look taller onscreen when they’re sitting down or lying down. Also easier to frame shots with short actors. The opposite of modeling where they have to look normal sized from a distance.

by Anonymousreply 414December 22, 2023 6:05 AM

A few months ago I saw Mel Gibson walking in the street. I had heard he was short so seeing that was not a surprise. What was a surprise was that he was still wearing the mountain man beard which draws more attention to him than he probably realizes.

by Anonymousreply 415December 22, 2023 6:08 AM

“Which” and “who”, OP.

by Anonymousreply 416December 22, 2023 6:53 AM

R393 - very thick, long and uncut. It would look awesome on anyone. He's 100% bottom though, which some may see as a waste!

by Anonymousreply 417December 22, 2023 11:18 AM

r437 did you blow him at all? 5'1" it must have looked like a handle lol

by Anonymousreply 418December 22, 2023 1:30 PM

Legend has it that Merv hired Vanna because her big head eclipsed her competitors’.

by Anonymousreply 419December 22, 2023 4:09 PM

Yeah, a big head is supposed to be a good thing for actors and actresses. Marilyn Monroe had a large head and face.

Brooke Shields has a small head and face.

by Anonymousreply 420December 22, 2023 6:23 PM

R400 - Urich did indeed have an ample caboose (still from "Vegas").

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421December 22, 2023 7:02 PM

Betty White had a huge head. I was watching the GG episode where her daughter and granddaughter visit and Betty's head was twice the size of the daughter actress. I found it very unsettling.

by Anonymousreply 422December 23, 2023 2:50 AM

I've told this story before. In about 2012 I was at a stoplight near my office building and Christopher Plummer crossed the street directly in front of my car. he was about 5'6" with a giant head and wearing a rumpled grey suit.

by Anonymousreply 423December 23, 2023 2:54 AM

[quote]r40 Yeah, a big head is supposed to be a good thing for actors and actresses… Brooke Shields has a small head and face.

Thank you! I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424December 23, 2023 3:10 AM

I saw Mary Murphy in a restaurant. I only noticed her because she was a teeny tiny human bobblehead and I had never seen that before live.and in person. She also had makeup caked on and an elaborate long hairdo that exaggerated the bobblehead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425December 23, 2023 3:22 AM

Madonna. So pale (such white skin) and short.

by Anonymousreply 426December 23, 2023 3:53 AM

Tori Spelling is a different league of ugly. She looked deformed and wears about 40 lbs of makeup.

by Anonymousreply 427December 23, 2023 5:15 AM

Mary Murphy? What does Marie Osmond say about this?

by Anonymousreply 428December 23, 2023 6:03 AM

I get the giant head thing. It makes sense.

And I get the thinness explanation.

But why are they so short?

by Anonymousreply 429December 23, 2023 6:15 AM

The Chloë Grace Moretz body obsessives on DL are a very particular type of weird

by Anonymousreply 430December 23, 2023 6:18 AM

I turned around and shared the sign of peace with Don Ameche and Ron at St Thomas More once. He was so nice, and actually spoke to me, re: Heaven Can Wait. Said Lubitsch was a genius. In another year or so he was gone.

by Anonymousreply 431December 23, 2023 6:31 AM

^ Cool story

by Anonymousreply 432December 23, 2023 6:34 AM

30 or so years ago Gloria Steinem.

Rail thin, her trademark, famous, chin-length, hair-bob in its glory, cheek bones for days. Aloof.

by Anonymousreply 433December 23, 2023 12:21 PM

Robert Urich's ass glowed like in a religious painting of the renaissance.

by Anonymousreply 434December 23, 2023 12:51 PM

R434 It had an otherworldly glow about it. It was luminescent.

by Anonymousreply 435December 23, 2023 12:56 PM

I volunteered for years at the Western & Southern tennis tourney - I still call it the ATP - and met many tennis heroes. Mac was a surlu ass after he lost, Connors was cool, he signed my media guide, Fed is prissy and you can't get near him. I overheard MJ Fernandez who was a few rows from me, telling her kids(I guess) roger was upset to be playing nadal in a qf, he thought they should only be a final.

by Anonymousreply 436December 23, 2023 12:58 PM

Tom Wilkinson by the Covent Garden market in central London, a few years ago. I noticed him because he was elaborately dressed in a bright blue jacket, and even bluer shirt and an oversized, multicoloured scarf. He dramatically crossed the square walking in a very stiff, exaggerate manner and stood by the colonnade in one of the CG's adjacent buildings, with an expression that was equal parts conceit and expectation - it was evident that he WANTED to be noticed and when several people approached him, it was a huge boost to his ego. His face lit up like a Christmas tree and he was obviously delighted to be fawned all over by his fans. He looked like an average fifty-something British father: about 1,80 metres tall (5'11") and had a slight paunch. Needless to say, I was unimpressed by his appearance and thought that his behaviour was foolish, but I must clarify: he was VERY friendly toward all the people who approached him and appeared to be very nice, even if ridiculously vain.

Ricky Gervais and his wife in the National Gallery, also several years ago. His wife looked like a wrinkled old lady, rail thin and orange, but gave off a friendly and quiet vibe. He was extremely unpleasant, though. He had a hostile attitude, an expression that was equal parts contempt and disgust and walked in a very comical manner, taking as much space as possible. His entire demeanour showed that he thought that he was far too important to be among the peasantry and was almost offended by it. Needless to say, nobody dared to approach him and I thought that for someone who makes it a point to talk about how artificial, arrogant and self-serving other celebrities are, he was acting like a complete cretin. He was average size or a little shorter (around 1,75 metres, or 5'9") and rather portly.

Kate Moss, walking down the street in central London. Very petite and surprisingly short for a model, with rather plain features and an unkempt appearance. Her hair looked like she hadn't washed for quite a long time, she didn't have any makeup on and her clothes were mismatched - she was wearing a brown floral dress that looked six sizes too big, short black leather boots, a green sweater and carried a gigantic red tote handbag. She looked disarmingly normal, with very thin and wrinkly skin. To be honest, I couldn't believe that such a plain woman could be a supermodel.

by Anonymousreply 437December 23, 2023 1:36 PM

I posted this before but I saw Elaine Stritch as a kid. She was based in the UK I think and has a sitcom called Two's Company which I used to see in one-channel land. I was looking in the window of a photography shop and this tall thin familiar looking woman was too. I leaned over and turned my head to get a better look....she turned, looked at me with a little smile at the corner of her mouth and winked at me. Definitely her. Unmistakable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438December 23, 2023 1:44 PM

I saw a woman dancing around a fountain with some fat people. She glowed in a luminescent type of way, oozing her charisma all over the place. I could not look away. She was bathed in an otherwordly, incandescent kind of LadyDianaJohnJohn light. It was the most amazing feeling. I experienced bladder pain, cloudy urine and change in vaginal discharge. I'll never forget it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439December 23, 2023 2:52 PM

I once used the ladies' room at the Brown Derby right after Katherine Hepburn. It was phenomenal, like nothing else in the world.

by Anonymousreply 440December 23, 2023 3:10 PM

I work in film, so I see celebrities all the time. However who surprised me:

Charlize Theron at my vet- I saw an extremely well dressed tall woman from the back (she was at the counter while I was sitting), and I thought, "That person is someone". She turns around, and I have to say, I was disappointed- she didn't have a stitch of makeup on, and her face was a blank canvas- pale brows and lashes- so her features disappeared completely. She was buying expensive food for one of her dogs, named Daisy.

Eric Roberts circa 2009 on Rock Slyde- still really handsome, charming, and the most amazing head of silver hair that I've seen on a man.

Lady Gaga last year on Joker 2- extremely thin, and unfortunately ruined her looks with buccal fat removal and lip filler- from the profile, the lips looked ridiculous. However she was very kind to the BG, who had to sit with her in the court scenes. I wasn't there, but other crew told me that she would break out in song occasionally. Joaquin looked 80 years old- he needs to gain weight again (I heard he lost some for the role), but he was pretty amazing to watch.

George Clooney circa 2017 on Suburbicon- Looked and dressed like a suburban dad with baggy jeans and big white sneakers- you really wouldn't give him a second look if he were on the street like that. Amal and her family visited for a day and it was bizarre- she glided in from a page of Vogue- thin, tall and so well dressed. They looked odd together.

Sylvester Stallone (I forget what year, it was a foreign vodka commercial); Incredibly red faced, shorter than I expected, and has a shit ton of tattoos.

Ryan Phillipe circa 2011- looked impossibly young, great skin, but I was surprised to see he had fully tatted forearms.

Not surprising: Angelina Jolie circa 2019 on Come Away. Gorgeous in person, taller that I thought she would be. Dwayne Johnson looks the same. as did Jason Statham (Furious 7)

by Anonymousreply 441December 23, 2023 3:11 PM

I did not like Heath Ledger in his role as “Joker”.

by Anonymousreply 442December 23, 2023 3:14 PM

Charles Barkley at a bar in hotel in New York very recently. He's lost a lot of weight; he has said that he's taking Ozempic. He was quite nice with folks who wanted to take selfies with him.

by Anonymousreply 443December 23, 2023 3:19 PM

[quote] Angelina Jolie circa 2019 on Come Away. Gorgeous in person, taller that I thought she would be.

Someone who worked for decades as a crew member on Hollywood film sets told me the same thing. They said she was extraordinary to see in up-close in-person.

And this will make some of her haters head's explode, but he also said something that surprised me- that she was very nice, friendly and down-to-Earth with everybody on the crew.

Maybe because she was an industry kid and grew-up in the business, given who her Dad is.

by Anonymousreply 444December 23, 2023 3:54 PM

Lara Flynn Boyle, at my gym. At least I think that’s what that was. (Yeesh!) I was surprised because it looked nothing like Lara Flynn Boyle.

Matt Bomer, on the street. So pretty and shiny he took my breath away and he’s not even my type.

Finally, I can second (or ninth, whatever) that Jodie Foster is tiny. I’d heard she was at a party I attended and I spent a good half hour looking too high in the crowd. (That she was rocking a buzz cut didn’t help.)

by Anonymousreply 445December 23, 2023 4:20 PM

r335 My aunt met Bill Clinton twice- the first time when he was running for his first term and then again when Hillary was running in 2016. She is just a volunteer at a Democratic organization, nobody high-up or important in the organization. Bill remembered her name, her kid's names, where they were going to college at the time they first met and asked how they all were. I said he was probably prompted and she said probably not considering he was just meandering around alone. She also said he made her feel like the most important person in the world.

by Anonymousreply 446December 23, 2023 4:33 PM

R446 He had his assistant Andrea Sachs memorize all the names and histories of the people in the binder before the event and stand by him as he walked through the crowd greeting everyone.

by Anonymousreply 447December 23, 2023 4:36 PM

I saw Bill Clinton speak and then shook his hand at a Dem get out the vote rally. He is an excellent public speaker. I was laughing and crying, listening to him.

by Anonymousreply 448December 23, 2023 4:41 PM

That's what I thought, too, but she insisted he was alone just walking around talking to the few people there, so I don't know. I do know she's met a ton of politicians and she claims he has a charisma none of the others have. I've only met Al Gore who was ok but also what I would charitably call robotic. And pretty tall.

by Anonymousreply 449December 23, 2023 4:42 PM

I saw Angela Lansbury at the Bed Bath and Beyond when it was on the North side of Olympic. She was shopping for Christmas ornaments and had a huge Santa in her basket. What surprised me was that she seemed like some normal Brentwood wife and mother, not some Broadway superstar.

by Anonymousreply 450December 23, 2023 5:18 PM

R450, I take it she was in the Beyond portion of the store.

by Anonymousreply 451December 23, 2023 5:23 PM

Ed Begley Jr. in an airport club lounge in the Midwest (I was returning from a science conference). We spoke about his cable show and his environmentalism. He was super polite and nice. I noticed he took his shoes off, had spotless bright white sport socks on. He’s older but still attractive.

by Anonymousreply 452December 23, 2023 5:37 PM

r444, I'll add to that- with big name celebs, I tend to shy away, but after a couple of days, she stuck her hand out and introduced herself to me. She also was supercool with the kids on set- she sent them and her kids to a day at Universal.

I'll also add that Zendaya in person looks exactly like she does in photos, but she has an impossibly tiny waist and surprisingly taller in person, and Rihanna is a super cool chick (but her people are not). She's very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 453December 23, 2023 5:39 PM

Can we combine threads and make it: "What's the ONE celebrity ass you've eaten that has surprised you?"

by Anonymousreply 454December 23, 2023 5:59 PM

Gary Busey: publicly intoxicated (or high on coke) in the lobby of the Wiltern Theatre during the intermission of the 1985 Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers concert and causing a very LOUD, obnoxious scene. This was 1985, so he'd just starred in a string of films, before his drug problem became publicized. What was to follow didn't surprise me, He had the motorcycle accident in 1988 and the near fatal overdose in 1995.

by Anonymousreply 455December 23, 2023 6:10 PM

Speaking of Al Gore, his daughter Karenna gave a talk at my college during his 2000 campaign. She was strikingly pretty.

by Anonymousreply 456December 23, 2023 6:32 PM

I was at school with JFK Jr. He did not glow and never did anything for me. He was in fact kind of douchey in how cool he thought he was. He seemed to have matured in later years.

by Anonymousreply 457December 23, 2023 6:32 PM

Mr. Weinberger, JFK Jr. is sitting there glowing, right out in class!

by Anonymousreply 458December 23, 2023 6:55 PM

[quote] I went to en event where I could meet Matt Bomer. I wanted to see if he was as handsome & charming as he seems. He is.

Alexis Soloski, the NYT writer who profiled him for this weeks' Sunday paper, agrees.

"I can confirm that if you are a person who enjoys the company of handsome men, it is very nice to sip herbal tea across the table from Bomer. He has dark hair, light eyes, a jaw so square it could be used for geometry tutorials. Wrap that up in an off-white turtleneck sweater, and it’s heartthrob city. I had mentioned to a few friends that I would be meeting him, and they all wanted me to ask the same question: How does it feel to be that handsome?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459December 23, 2023 6:59 PM

Harrison Ford, shorter.

by Anonymousreply 460December 23, 2023 7:01 PM

Martina Navratilova is surprisingly tiny and grumpy in real life. When I accidentally (didn't see her) knocked her over in a crowded airport she cussed me out in some obscure Eastern European language when I tried to help her up... Didn't even say thank you as she flounced off in a huff 🤨

by Anonymousreply 461December 23, 2023 7:10 PM

[quote] had a huge Santa in her basket

Hawt.

by Anonymousreply 462December 23, 2023 7:23 PM

I saw no aura surrounding Rita Ora.

by Anonymousreply 463December 23, 2023 7:23 PM

Totie Fields pogoing down the housewares aisle in Zayre's. Fatter than I thought.

by Anonymousreply 464December 23, 2023 7:26 PM

I saw the Virgin Mary glowing like a mutha fucka. She's tall.

by Anonymousreply 465December 23, 2023 7:27 PM

"Glowing", reminds me of seeing Chrissy Teigen in person.

I never considered Chrissy Teigen anything special until I saw her kind of floating down East Houston Street many years ago.

Glowing, amber colored skin. A Paul Gauguin painting come to life.

by Anonymousreply 466December 23, 2023 7:30 PM

[quote] Rihanna is a super cool chick

Nobody beats Rihanna!

by Anonymousreply 467December 23, 2023 7:30 PM

R460 I thought Harrison Ford was about 6’3”? Maybe that was just how tall he seemed next to Carrie Fisher…

by Anonymousreply 468December 23, 2023 8:03 PM

Except Chris Brown R467

by Anonymousreply 469December 23, 2023 8:04 PM

Margaret Trudeau in the 90s in Ottawa. She had a lovely smile and was very pretty. I was wearing my school uniform and did a very Canadian thing: I was ahead of her in line in a shop, but I didn’t wave her ahead of me as she wouldn’t have wanted the attention,

Saw Margaret Atwood walking across the street at me with her huge frizzy hair in the middle of a beautiful snowstorm in Toronto. She seemed a little magical.

Ate in a restaurant in Toronto next to former PM John Turner who was very handsome, about a year before he died. He was alone and got the best seat in the house. He had zero security and apart from a polite restaurant owner, it was wonderful how a major politician could sit uninterrupted in Canada.

Saw Harvey Keitel walking down the street with his arm around a girl in her 20s. He looked incredibly sordid and yucky. I remember thinking I hope that girl is a daughter and not a girlfriend.

Saw Helena Bonham Carter who came to a hotel bar where she had a drink with a couple of people. She looks like she came from a Merchant-Ivory film, but was wearing a very modern black bodysuit. Was very small and slim with a pretty face. This was c. 1992. No one bothered her.

by Anonymousreply 470December 23, 2023 8:16 PM

R468, no, he's not nearly that tall

by Anonymousreply 471December 23, 2023 8:19 PM

Michael Kors is less queeny off-camera than on it. Parker Posey is more petite than you would ever guess from her films. Martha Stewart somehow manages to look older and at the same time prettier in person than on television, and she doesn't speak in that overly concise way.

by Anonymousreply 472December 23, 2023 8:33 PM

Everyone who is mentioning glow: do you know the story of Marilyn Monroe walking unnoticed…and then she said something to her companion about turning it on and off. So she turned it on, and suddenly people recognized her and crowded around her. So, glow is something actors do…as they feed on the attention of the public.

by Anonymousreply 473December 23, 2023 8:57 PM

Xxxoooxxx

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474December 23, 2023 8:58 PM

Martina Navratilova seems to be married to a fame-seeking trophy bride. They both ended up on the Real Housewives. IMO, that's really beneath Martina to end up on a Real Housewives show.

The only A-lister who didn't really cheapen himself was Kelsey Grammer. He let it be known that this was his parting gift to his wife, Camille, who he was just about to dump.

Plus, Kelsey Grammer didn't have that great of a reputation, as a person, to start out with.

by Anonymousreply 475December 23, 2023 9:01 PM

Don Henley at a Christmas party, Snowmass, 1990 or so. Shorter than expected (this is a trend!), with extremely piercing blue eyes, set off by longish jet black hair. Striking looking, I knew he was someone important before anyone even told me who he was. No lie, he was checking out my sister who was 16 at the time (I was in jr high myself).

Sam Donaldson, after an event in Boston where he gave a talk, early 1990s. He spent several minutes speaking to my mother about current events of the day, very tall, engaging, hair so stiff and dyed it seemed fake.

Al Gore at a campaign event, Summer 2000. Genial and engaging, but he was campaigning.

A delay in Boston for a flight to Chicago, circa 2008. Seated for some time in the terminal directly across from a petite blond with a guitar case, covered in rock band stickers. Speaking very loudly into her cell, drawing lots of attention. Knew she looked familiar, but couldn't place her. Later determined to be Nina Gordon of Veruca Salt.

by Anonymousreply 476December 23, 2023 9:08 PM

[quote] Don Henley at a Christmas party, Snowmass, 1990 or so. Shorter than expected (this is a trend!), with extremely piercing blue eyes, set off by longish jet black hair. Striking looking, I knew he was someone important before anyone even told me who he was. No lie, he was checking out my sister who was 16 at the time (I was in jr high myself).

Good story. I don't remember Don Henley ever having black hair. How old did your sister look, at the time?

by Anonymousreply 477December 23, 2023 9:30 PM

R461, you're full of it. Martina is 5'8", that's not "tiny." In the three times I've run into her, she was unusually friendly and nice for a celebrity. However, under the circumstances you describe, I'd have thrown you a left hook.

by Anonymousreply 478December 23, 2023 9:53 PM

^ Oh, great, the asshole who follows me through life is here. I'm 6' 3", so she was tiny enough for me to accidentally knock her on her ass and I assure you when she's sitting on the floor in a busy airport she is NOT friendly. Instead of graciously accepting my apology and hand to help her up she just got angrier, cussed me out and stormed off. Of course, the crowd that had gathered and were laughing at this point didn't help

Now, go fuck yourself and never darken my doorway again

by Anonymousreply 479December 23, 2023 10:24 PM

Very, very sensitive, R479. The Datalounge may not be the place for you, dear.

by Anonymousreply 480December 23, 2023 10:29 PM

Re: Bill Clinton. A female friend (now 80) who was knock-out good looking (we're talking better looking than Jane Fonda was at the time, but the same across-the-room presence. If you were ever in Jane's presence you know what I mean) was at a fundraiser with Bill Clinton and said he was the most charismatic person she ever met. Looked into her eyes and touched her arm.

Which reminds me of the early scene in Primary Colors when the candidate (Bill) emerges from a private meeting with the head of the state teacher's association (female) and told his aide that he had just "locked up" the teachers' endorsement....

by Anonymousreply 481December 23, 2023 11:06 PM

I stood behind Morey Amsterdam on an escalator.

by Anonymousreply 482December 23, 2023 11:31 PM

R438, may...may I touch the hem of your robe?

by Anonymousreply 483December 23, 2023 11:39 PM

R479 believes people follow him here. Sorry, this isn’t FACEBOOK.

by Anonymousreply 484December 24, 2023 2:03 AM

Has anyone seen Gerard Butler, Keanu Reeves, Colin Farrell, or Eduardo Noriega in person? They're my favorites. Give me anything you got!

by Anonymousreply 485December 24, 2023 2:57 AM

r477 my sister looked like a teenager. A sophisticated teenager, perhaps a bit older than 16. But still, young. And Henley's hair was dark, perhaps more a dark brown than black. I just remember the contrast between that and his blue eyes, it made him seem pirate-like.

by Anonymousreply 486December 24, 2023 3:03 AM

About 20 years ago, I was in the Starbucks near the Bel Air neighborhood of Los Angeles and in walked this stunningly beautiful woman. It took me a minute or two to realize that it was Annette Benning. I have never seen any woman looking so gorgeous in real life.

by Anonymousreply 487December 24, 2023 3:09 AM

R486 I believe Henley’s been bad news for teen girls. Your sister is probably lucky she stayed clear of him.

by Anonymousreply 488December 24, 2023 3:20 AM

r488, yep

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489December 24, 2023 3:25 AM

R487 Can't believe out of all the men she could have had, she chose Warren Beatty. She's 65 and he's 86! I never found him attractive but she's beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 490December 24, 2023 3:28 AM

Andy Cohen in NYC at a party. He is shockingly tiny. Like Prince Tiny. He was hyper too, like running around hyper. This was a pretty big party in the UES.

by Anonymousreply 491December 24, 2023 3:47 AM

Hyper? Or coked-out?

by Anonymousreply 492December 24, 2023 4:24 AM

Kevin Spacey, when I randomly crossed paths with him in an airport terminal and he stopped to open his trenchcoat and flashed me.

by Anonymousreply 493December 24, 2023 4:32 AM

Frank Capra. Very short.

by Anonymousreply 494December 24, 2023 5:17 AM

I saw Bette Davis in An Evening With Bette Davis back in the 70s when I was a teenager. She was way funnier than I expected, at the time. I hadn't seen her on any talk shows, that I recall. Just didn't expect how quick witted she was.

by Anonymousreply 495December 24, 2023 5:21 AM

R487 needs to see BrendaD ickson at Gelson's in Century City!

by Anonymousreply 496December 24, 2023 5:32 AM

R311 And often WIZENED. Don't forget WIZENED.

by Anonymousreply 497December 24, 2023 5:38 AM

Elliot Page, on a stepladder, at a drinking fountain.

by Anonymousreply 498December 24, 2023 5:46 AM

Most of these are from the late 70s and early 80s when I was a starstruck LA teenager:

Bette Davis in An Evening with Bette Davis--I had a front row seat and she stood at the front of the stage no more than ten feet ahead of me. Surprisingly short with huge bags under her eyes and that "gunny sack full of galoshes" figure, she still made the audience fall in love with her. Sharp, quick-witted, hilarious, she read the room perfectly.

Sylvia Sidney while walking down Hollywood Boulevard--tiny, sad, seemingly elsewhere, wrapped in cloak and smoking a cigarette.

Jane Fonda several times while campaigning for Tom Hayden, at other benefits or at film premieres--always impeccably turned out, polished, professional, personable, and TALL, but seemed to be sad underneath it all. That surprised me.

Lily Tomlin backstage after Appearing Nitely--surprisingly patrician, wearing a black embroidered cape and affably signing autographs. I was expecting Ernestine.

Bette Midler, surprisingly frumpy and bitchy, at a book signing for A View from a Broad.

Peter Cook, looking gargantuan next to dwarfish Dudley Moore, both charming as can be and probably well plied with booze

Richard Chamberlain at a couple of events, exchanging glances (more like me staring, him peering), gorgeous of course with surprisingly yellow teeth

Rick Nelson up close with a surprisingly large bulge in his faded jeans

Andy Gibb on Venice Beach in wet swim trunks-skinny, hairy chest and short but so very sexy

Suzanne Somers at a health food store in Santa Monica, looking at me imploringly not to blow her cover when I recognized her. I just smiled and walked away.

Rue McClanahan, drunk off her ass, bumped into me and jostled my popcorn as we were walking down the aisle to get our seats at a James Whale double bill of Waterloo Bridge and Frankenstein at a repertory movie theater. I didn't recognize her in the dark, but her voice was unmistakable when she laughed and apologized. When the lights came up during intermission, I turned around to make sure it was Rue, and she looked at me and winked.

by Anonymousreply 499December 24, 2023 6:36 AM

Rue and Bea both liked their booze. Rue, Bea and Estelle also smoked like chimneys. Betty was the only one who didn't indulge.

by Anonymousreply 500December 24, 2023 6:42 AM

R499, Dick Chamberlain, as he self-identified, used to post here as recently as the mid-‘10s.

by Anonymousreply 501December 24, 2023 6:44 AM

Oh, I forgot:

Wilt Chamberlain, working out at the UCLA gym, impossibly tall and very, very friendly

Mitch Gaylord and Peter Vidmar in the UCLA locker room on their way to the shower without a stitch. Quite surprising.

by Anonymousreply 502December 24, 2023 7:14 AM

^^Who the fuck are these people?

by Anonymousreply 503December 24, 2023 7:17 AM

Clearly you don't follow sports history, R503.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504December 24, 2023 7:19 AM

[quote]Clearly you don't follow sports history,

Nobody gives a fuck about sports history. One of the most boring bullshit studies in Western culture.

by Anonymousreply 505December 24, 2023 7:22 AM

You might change your mind if you saw Wilt, Mitch and Peter in the UCLA locker room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506December 24, 2023 7:28 AM

Sorry r506. Fail.

by Anonymousreply 507December 24, 2023 7:36 AM

I get it, R507. You haven't the slightest interest in sports. My first post included no sports celebrities, which is why they were an afterthought in R502. Different strokes, etc. Can we move on now?

by Anonymousreply 508December 24, 2023 7:53 AM

r508 is making everybody sick. A sick bitch who makes everybody sicik.

by Anonymousreply 509December 24, 2023 8:02 AM

[quote]I get it, [R507]. You haven't the slightest interest in sports.

Nobody does

by Anonymousreply 510December 24, 2023 8:02 AM

Have a nice day, R503/R505/R507/R509/R510.

by Anonymousreply 511December 24, 2023 8:16 AM

^^Bitch please

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512December 24, 2023 8:23 AM

Sports talk on DL? In a celebrity thread?

by Anonymousreply 513December 24, 2023 8:36 AM

It's trippy how everybody describes the same experience when meeting Bill Clinton; the other worldly charisma, the "making you feel like you're the most important person in the room when you're talking with him" aspect. I was listening to an interview with ex-CIA now journalist John Kiriakou the other day, and he talked about his experiences with Clinton and described the exact same thing.

by Anonymousreply 514December 24, 2023 8:47 AM

[quote]Rue and Bea both liked their booze. Rue, Bea and Estelle also smoked like chimneys. Betty was the only one who didn't indulge.

Betty White was a Vodka hound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515December 24, 2023 9:27 AM

R486. If you sister looked like a sophisticated teenager he probably thought she was 18 or 19, so legal.

by Anonymousreply 516December 24, 2023 10:41 AM

I saw Andy Cohen walking around the village yelling into his cell phone. I wouldn’t call him tiny. He’s shorter than average but is not stick thin. He’s not a skinny midget with a big head like most actors. He looks more regular guy.

by Anonymousreply 517December 24, 2023 11:04 AM

With all its sports-related threads, since when has DL been hostile to sports?!

by Anonymousreply 518December 24, 2023 11:51 AM

R447 Uh-oh. R152 is back!

by Anonymousreply 519December 24, 2023 11:53 AM

Wilt Chamberlain! I saw him at every NYC tennis event in the 1980s-90s, always alone. Once he was walking thru the gates of the US Open all dressed in US Open merchandise- sweatshirt, pants and hat, stickers and pins. A white guy went up to him and said, “selling?”

by Anonymousreply 520December 24, 2023 12:20 PM

Jake Gyllenhaal when we use to hang out a Urth Cafe on Melrose. Always solo. Head the size of a garbage can.

by Anonymousreply 521December 24, 2023 1:08 PM

R517 He wears shoe lifts. They are the heal sock kind so he can wear any shoe. This was before he was OMG ANDY COHEN. He was at Bravo and I think had just launched WWHL or maybe was still just hosting Housewive reunions. I have worked with and around him (we both worked at CBS, he was a PA on CBS This Morning, then worked in CBS News as an Associate Producer).

by Anonymousreply 522December 24, 2023 1:11 PM

Deneuve when she was hawking her signature perfume. Everything you'd expect and more.

by Anonymousreply 523December 24, 2023 1:11 PM

[quote] Can't believe out of all the men she could have had, she chose Warren Beatty. She's 65 and he's 86! I never found him attractive but she's beautiful.

Warren Beatty was only one of the most beautiful men to ever grace the silver screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524December 24, 2023 2:13 PM

And Warren Beatty is 6’2”

by Anonymousreply 525December 24, 2023 2:16 PM

[quote] Mitch Gaylord and Peter Vidmar in the UCLA locker room on their way to the shower without a stitch. Quite surprising.

And? Why so coy?

(Mitch Gaylord was a gymnast who competed in the Olympics and tried his hand at acting.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526December 24, 2023 3:47 PM

The less coy version: Both had bodies that were perfectly muscled and flawless. Vidmar was slighter, "steel and whipcord" while Gaylord had a round ass that defied gravity. Both nicely hung, though I wasn't close enough to get a full assessment.

by Anonymousreply 527December 24, 2023 4:39 PM

Vidmar is a total Mormon homophobe who quit the Olympic committee because of the criticism of his opposition to same sex marriage.

by Anonymousreply 528December 24, 2023 4:47 PM

In 1984-85, there was no one I wanted to be my gay lord more than Mitch Gaylord. If you'd kick him out because "eww, sports," you're not gay enough to be here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529December 24, 2023 5:02 PM

I didn’t know until a few years ago that Mitch is Jewish. I figured he was “ethnic” of some sort but didn’t know precisely the ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 530December 24, 2023 5:05 PM

[quote]Now, go fuck yourself and never darken my doorway again

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 531December 24, 2023 5:13 PM

R488, Don Henley is very well hung, according to groupie Connie Hamzy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532December 24, 2023 5:15 PM

R466 What are you going on about?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533December 24, 2023 5:19 PM

I never see famous people, the ones you'd expect them to glow. When I was hiking with my rescue dog I saw Julian Sands, but he seemed stiff and unemotional, no glow at all.

by Anonymousreply 534December 24, 2023 5:25 PM

Angela Lansbury - tall. Impeccably dressed. Burberry raincoat, scarf. Like a cool version of an English clubwoman. Claire Bloom - very short. Peasant blouse, long skirt, mesh bag. Bloom surprised me, I thought she'd be bigger.

by Anonymousreply 535December 24, 2023 5:28 PM

Don Henley and Glenn Frey are mentioned in "You'll Never Make Love in This Town Again." Author said that Henley was a pig, basically, just fucking girls doggy-style, going from one girl to the other. Author said that Frey was a good lover, gave oral, etc.

by Anonymousreply 536December 24, 2023 5:37 PM

What celebrity have you seen in person who despised you?

by Anonymousreply 537December 24, 2023 5:55 PM

R534 maybe because he had no skin.

by Anonymousreply 538December 24, 2023 6:05 PM

During the 1965 Manhattan blackout I was able to read a newspaper due to the glow emanating from Joey Bishop's rectum.

by Anonymousreply 539December 24, 2023 7:19 PM

^ How witty

by Anonymousreply 540December 24, 2023 7:43 PM

[quote]Sports talk on DL? In a celebrity thread?

Famous athletes are considered celebrities by most.

by Anonymousreply 541December 24, 2023 7:54 PM

R2, I'm still reading the thread but I saw Max Miller at a book signing recently and would not describe him as pudgy. He looks like he does in his videos ,very handsome. seemed tall.

by Anonymousreply 542December 24, 2023 8:20 PM

My boyfriend and I stood right behind Earl Holliman and his two twinks while standing in line to see a movie at the Sherman Oaks Galleria. It was a long line and moved slowly, so we got a good look. This would have been early 80s, so a few years after "Police Woman" had ended. Nothing too surprising to report lookswise. Holliman looked like he did in the TV series. All I could imagine is what he was going to do with those two young men after the movie date.

by Anonymousreply 543December 24, 2023 8:31 PM

I'm R238 . I've discovered that after being around basically anybody at least daily, if not several times a day for 1, 2, or 3 weeks, the less singular they seem and become no different than the the schlupp you are or live next to. I mean, somebody who is a complete asshole or is very kind is no less an asshole or no less kind after 3 weeks, it's the appearance of uniqueness that disappears. The multi-Oscar winner is just as likely to forget their sunglasses in their cabin, the zillionaire is just as likely to spill their drink on someone next to them, blah blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 544December 24, 2023 9:02 PM

Schwarzenegger was shorter than I expected Machine Gun Kelly taller than I expected Avril Lavigne shorter than expected also stand offish but very polite John Cena very professional Nothing surprised me about Cheech and Chong. They are their own selves.

by Anonymousreply 545December 24, 2023 11:34 PM

I haven’t seen punctuation.

by Anonymousreply 546December 24, 2023 11:57 PM

[quote] Nothing surprised me about Cheech and Chong. They are their own selves.

I was waiting in line to get into a popular sushi restaurant. Cheech and his date / wife (blonde lady) were also waiting to get in. Cheech was very quiet, calm demeanor, did not try to get ahead in the line.

by Anonymousreply 547December 25, 2023 12:23 AM

When I visited the wax museum in LA, Arnold Schwarzenegger’s wax figure was about 5’9” and it is said that those are replicas of exact height.

by Anonymousreply 548December 25, 2023 12:39 AM

As a Senate intern I stood in a long line to witness Muriel Humphrey being sworn into the Senate to replace her late husband Hubert. As I waited, I noticed advice columnist Dear Abby, bedecked in a full length fur coat, outside the line & showing no interest in associating with the huddled masses. I overheard her whisper to her husband, "Tell them who we are."

by Anonymousreply 549December 25, 2023 12:44 AM

Tony Hawk was standing in line at this cafe and I almost knocked him over because I was walking fast to the bathroom and looking at my phone. But I didn't actually hit him. He looked at me surprised but I didn't apologize. He's really tiny and small. I asked the waitresses another day if he eats there a lot and they said yeah. I asked if he tips well and they all started rolling their eyes and the girl said "I guess so" with an annoyed tone.

by Anonymousreply 550December 25, 2023 12:47 AM

Arnol is 5'9". I'm 5'9" and stood next to him and we were exactly the same height.

by Anonymousreply 551December 25, 2023 1:06 AM

Debbie Harry. Tiny frame, huge head, like a doll. Or Alien.

The camera does not do her justice.

by Anonymousreply 552December 25, 2023 1:17 AM

[quote] I almost knocked him over because I was walking fast to the bathroom and looking at my phone. But I didn't actually hit him. He looked at me surprised but I didn't apologize.

I hate when people walk around, looking down at their phones.

by Anonymousreply 553December 25, 2023 2:12 AM

Lou Ferrigno looks huge next to Schwarzenegger.

by Anonymousreply 554December 25, 2023 2:17 AM

R540 Your pussy.

by Anonymousreply 555December 25, 2023 2:18 AM

President Bill Clinton. Taller than he looked on tv. Pleasant smile.

by Anonymousreply 556December 25, 2023 2:34 AM

Stanley Tucci in a Toronto restaurant just before the pandemic. I was shocked at how sexy he was. What a gorgeous man.

by Anonymousreply 557December 25, 2023 2:44 AM

R553 It was very rude of me. I would have been ashamed if it wasn't a celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 558December 25, 2023 2:45 AM

Stood next to her a pregnant Kathleen Turner at Balducci's in the West Village. Her voice had a fairly strong NY accent and she was not as tall as I thought she would be. She was casually dressed and pretty. She seemed unpretentious and the girls behind the bakery counter were giving each other a look; they recognized her as did people on 6th Avenue when she left the store and got into a cab. Late 80s/early 90s I'm guessing.

by Anonymousreply 559December 25, 2023 4:00 AM

Timothy Daley - surprised me because he was way better looking in person.

Anthony Edwards - doesn't have much star quality in person.

by Anonymousreply 560December 25, 2023 5:17 AM

I think being in movies and tv causes people to light up.

Jay Leno looks remarkably average in person. Chilli from TLC is also petite. Goldie Hawn is very princess. Kurt is very likeable and fun. David Spade is short. Yoko Ono is weird. Ray Romano looks like his soul was squeezed out. Hank Azaria is very suspicious. Colin Farrell has a hot af energy about him. Tim Allen is fat. Jason Priestly is small. Jane Austen was stuck up. Jason Alexander ignores you unless you're a name. Sean Penn is on the smaller side.

by Anonymousreply 561December 25, 2023 5:23 AM

[quote]r559 Stood next to her a pregnant Kathleen Turner at Balducci's in the West Village.

The daughter’s boobs are positively enormous : o

Which is curious, as Kathleen Turner is almost flat chested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562December 25, 2023 5:23 AM

[quote]R561 Jane Austen was stuck up.

That’s just her face. She’s a lovely girl after a bit of madeira.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563December 25, 2023 5:29 AM

R563, We were roommates.

by Anonymousreply 564December 25, 2023 5:45 AM

Emily Dickinson didn't get out much.

by Anonymousreply 565December 25, 2023 6:01 AM

George Eliot was trans.

by Anonymousreply 566December 25, 2023 7:48 AM

I saw the black guy, “show me the money”, from Jerry Maguire, going into a U2 concert in about 2015. He was very tall, handsome and charismatic, I only saw him for a few seconds, but visually, he jumped right out of a big crowd. His career hasn’t gone very well after a Jerry Maguire. He deserves better.

by Anonymousreply 567December 25, 2023 8:20 AM

R552 Debbie Harry is one of the most beautiful and photogenic stars ever, how did the camera not do her justice?

by Anonymousreply 568December 25, 2023 9:04 AM

That sounds like just a regular night in the bathhouse or porn cinema back in the day. The only difference is that this involved straights.

by Anonymousreply 569December 25, 2023 9:07 AM

Angelina Jolie at the Bel-Air Hotel taking a lunch meeting with several execs. This was a *long* time ago- post Billy Bob, pre Pitt. Maddox was her only child and still tiny. But she was already *mega* famous at that point and at the height of her supposed beauty. I was with my mom a few tables away having lunch on the terrace. She was tall-ish. Quiet. And skin and bones. All elbows and knees and those scary, veiny arms. It was immediately clear that they were padding her out for premieres and perhaps adding curves digitally in the films.... but in real life she looked ill. The meeting lasted at least 1.5 hours (that we saw) and all the guys at her table ate lunch. She just nursed a black coffee the whole time. At one point, the nanny brought Maddox over for a cuddle and she left the table to hold him and say hi. She made a big fuss and it was a bit performative....but you could see she adored him.

by Anonymousreply 570December 25, 2023 10:56 AM

R562, have you ever heard of breast implants?

by Anonymousreply 571December 25, 2023 12:01 PM

R552 Debbie Harry is tiny with a huge, gorgeous head in pictures and video so I am also confused as to how that is different in real life?

by Anonymousreply 572December 25, 2023 12:56 PM

Quite a few celebs have/had big heads on small bodies. Joan Crawford, for ex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573December 25, 2023 1:46 PM

Henry Rollins, years ago in Chicago when he came into the store where I worked.

He was so short, it really surprised me at first. His official height listed is 5 ft 9 inches, but I think he's probably more like 5 ft 5.

Massively muscular and had the most intoxicating scent. A strong scent that was a completely pleasant smell of musk/ball scent. Alpha male in every sense of the word....yet very mellow and approachable, put everyone at ease.

by Anonymousreply 574December 25, 2023 2:09 PM

R567 That's Cuba Gooding Jr and I agree. I kept waiting to see him in more roles. I liked him in What Dreams May Come.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575December 25, 2023 2:15 PM

He had a supporting roe in Norbit so you know things didn't go well for him;

by Anonymousreply 576December 25, 2023 2:20 PM

R575 I liked him in Boyz N the Hood. There was a little controversy because some people didn't think he deserved the Oscar, and his Oscar speech annoyed some people. Also, he was in a lot of bad films post-Jerry McGuire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577December 25, 2023 2:27 PM

R576, Cuba had some legal issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 578December 25, 2023 2:30 PM

[quote]Has anyone met Robert Wagner in person?

I waited on him and Jill St. John many years ago. He is very handsome and very charming.

by Anonymousreply 579December 25, 2023 2:40 PM

R579 And how was Jill?

by Anonymousreply 580December 25, 2023 2:45 PM

Harrison Ford was in town to make a movie years ago. He was not tall and muscular. He was medium height (not short) and slender, and he is a very nice guy. Ordinary looking too. you could walk past him on a street and never realize it was HARRISON FORD.

by Anonymousreply 581December 25, 2023 2:52 PM

R581 That's how I've always felt about him in the movies, too. Never got it.

by Anonymousreply 582December 25, 2023 2:57 PM

R579, A friend on vacation in California was visiting Natalie Wood’s grave on the anniversary of her death when she noticed a blue Jaguar enter the cemetery and park near her.

It was Robert Wagner, who had come to pay his respects. My friend gave him some time alone at the grave and then he approached her and thanked her for visiting the grave and they had a nice conversation.

by Anonymousreply 583December 25, 2023 2:58 PM

[quote]I liked him in Boyz N the Hood. There was a little controversy because some people didn't think he deserved the Oscar, and his Oscar speech annoyed some people. Also, he was in a lot of bad films post-Jerry McGuire.

Pshaaaawww!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584December 25, 2023 3:03 PM

I met Tony Hawk once and remember him as being tall.

by Anonymousreply 585December 25, 2023 4:15 PM

R552 Debbie's nickname in high school was "Moon" for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 586December 25, 2023 4:41 PM

Flat-chested Kelly Ripa's daughter has large breasts. This is her HS prom photo, so I would hope these are not implants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587December 25, 2023 5:03 PM

I think it's just that the girl eats and her mother doesn't, R587.

by Anonymousreply 588December 25, 2023 5:08 PM

R587, those are sooo implants.

by Anonymousreply 589December 25, 2023 5:51 PM

[quote] Debbie Harry is one of the most beautiful and photogenic stars ever, how did the camera not do her justice?

Huh?! If she's photogenic by definition the camera does her justice.

by Anonymousreply 590December 25, 2023 6:19 PM

Tony Hawk's height is listed as 6' 3".

I saw him once, he was coming down an escalator as I was going up the other escalator, and I said hi to him. He didn't look short.

by Anonymousreply 591December 25, 2023 6:49 PM

Why didn’t Deborah Harry get implants?

They’d have MADE her.

by Anonymousreply 592December 25, 2023 7:05 PM

[quote]those are sooo implants.

No they are not. She gets them from Dad's side of the family.

by Anonymousreply 593December 25, 2023 7:05 PM

R590 my post was in reply to R552

by Anonymousreply 594December 25, 2023 7:18 PM

[quote] those are sooo implants.

They look real to me, R589. Trust.

by Anonymousreply 595December 25, 2023 7:45 PM

Bea Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 596December 25, 2023 7:54 PM

Bea Benaderet

by Anonymousreply 597December 25, 2023 7:54 PM

Benedict Cumberbatch

by Anonymousreply 598December 25, 2023 7:54 PM

Hortense Cumberbatch

by Anonymousreply 599December 25, 2023 7:55 PM

BUH BYE

by Anonymousreply 600December 25, 2023 7:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!