Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fantastic breakdown of Rock Hudson's gay life

Just had to post, it's long but lots of new details I never heard before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2023 5:57 AM

I want to know about him and Lee Majors.

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2023 9:33 PM

Pffffft

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2023 9:43 PM

They had to train him to butch it up, A LOT.

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2023 10:30 PM

He seemed to pick it up quite well, r3.

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2023 10:32 PM

He was told to scream really loud when he had a sore throat so that it would shred his vocal cords and give him a deeper voice. Which he did and lost the ability to sing? That's some f-ed up medical advice.

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2023 10:38 PM

Am I mentioned as the man who finally tamed the beast?

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2023 10:39 PM

The one thing I got out of that was Rock was kind of an a-hole dropping his first real partner just because someone told him to in order to get a job. Fake marriage, the whole nine yards. I know his Wiki pages makes him sound like some gay pioneer but he was anything but.

Back in the 80's when he contracted HIV, he knew he had it for some time, It wasn't the 50's anymore, most gay men including myself were out at work. Gay men dying left and right and no one cared until someone famous was attached to it. He could have made a difference by coming out. A year, even 6 months before he died would have made a big difference. But instead he had his publicist make a statement the last week or two before he kicked the bucket. Not brave, everyone knew by that point because he looked like death warmed over.

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2023 2:37 AM

I’d like to know more about the drama between him and James Dean.

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2023 2:48 AM

It was a good watch. It must’ve been terrifying for gay men back then who were trying to make it in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2023 2:53 AM

And yet there were so many gay men in the industry anyway. It must have still been considered gay back then. What with Rock's father saying male actors were all sissies.

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2023 2:56 AM

The one tidbit of enlightenment I got from that was they all covered for each other like an unwritten law. Not just remaining silent or refusing to out them, but openly denying the person you knew was gay, coming to defend there heterosexuality.

Previously I thought they were all in denial, or they thought it was trashy topic to bring up in public. Now I realize even some straight people who were secretly allies of gays were actually covering for them. Like Liz Taylor for example.

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2023 3:04 AM

r1 = Farrah Fawcett-Majors

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2023 5:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!