Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Viewers Demand Netflix Remove Offensive Ricky Gervais From Platform

Ricky Gervais, the 62-year-old comedian, recently had his special Armageddon premiere on Netflix. However, viewers are extremely upset with the Netflix program, with many citing his use of ableist slurs as being offensive.

This has resulted in a petition which, as of this writing, has reached nearly 5,000 signatures. As noted by the petition, Ricky Gervais makes a joke during his special centered around the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Eventually, he refers to children with cancer “baldies,” and continues to taunt them:

“Why didn’t you wish to get better? What, are you f***ing r*****ed as well?”

“We wish we were surprised by reports that @RickyGervais has used ableist slurs in his new @Netflix special,” they begin. “Language like this has consequences. And we’re just not accepting the explanation that Gervais uses to try and justify this language.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139January 3, 2024 8:29 PM

DL could start counter-signatures with additional joke suggestions:

Dark humor is like a child with cancer. It doesn’t get old.

by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2023 3:39 PM

I still don’t know (and apparently don’t care) what “ableist” means.

by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2023 3:42 PM

Here’s a solution to your problem. Don’t fucking watch him.

Although you will miss After Life which is a spectacular show.

by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2023 3:45 PM

*Runs to add this to Netflix watch list*

by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2023 3:49 PM

He's a fat unfunny cunt.

Next.

by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2023 3:52 PM

Exactly, R4. Thanks, dumb fuck SJWs for alerting me to this special I was not even aware of. Now I'm gonna watch the fuck out of it.

by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2023 3:52 PM

He was the best thing in Cats.

And he sucked the paint right off the walls.

by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2023 3:53 PM

Normally I’d say 5,000 signatures? This is a non-story. But Netflix has been struggling for awhile and are probably terrified of losing customers.

by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2023 3:54 PM

you think the people who signed actually PAY for Netflix???

by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2023 3:58 PM

What is so hard about the concept of "if you don't like it, don't watch it?"

by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2023 4:00 PM

We can't have adult warped jokes anymore. Let's start telling knock knock jokes.

by Anonymousreply 11December 9, 2023 4:06 PM

But what about the people who don’t have hands r11???? 😩😩😩

by Anonymousreply 12December 9, 2023 4:14 PM

Humor is over.

by Anonymousreply 13December 9, 2023 4:51 PM

boomer cringe - if he had any sense he'd be self-produced and putting all of his stuff out on direct to audience platforms. if you have to go to netflix now it just means you either don't have an audience or you have no idea how anything has worked for the last five years in media.

by Anonymousreply 14December 9, 2023 5:08 PM

Which direct to audience platforms?

by Anonymousreply 15December 9, 2023 5:31 PM

R14 needs an MRI on his brain.

by Anonymousreply 16December 9, 2023 6:24 PM

[quote]I still don’t know (and apparently don’t care) what “ableist” means.

Offensive to retards.

by Anonymousreply 17December 9, 2023 8:05 PM

I'm going to just turn on the special, then go about my business, so he gets the views just to spite the stupid of such protests.

by Anonymousreply 18December 9, 2023 8:18 PM

R14, or it means he's got a sweet production deal in place already. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 19December 9, 2023 8:22 PM

Netflix doesn't care. They've been doing better than ever this year, since they stopped the password sharing. They are smoking the competition, and have the lowest cancellation rates in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 20December 9, 2023 8:31 PM

[quote]if you have to go to netflix now it just means you either don't have an audience or you have no idea how anything has worked for the last five years in media.

Getting a comedy special on Netflix is EXTREMELY lucrative. For many younger comedians, it's the symbol of having arrived in the big time.

I think there's someone who has no idea how things have worked during the past five years....

by Anonymousreply 21December 9, 2023 8:41 PM

R21 five years ago yeah, now comedians will make fun of you

r15 i don't despise anybody, patreon and momenthouse, whitney cummings is putting her specials out on onlyfans. being facetious like in this way doesn't come off well in the online retiring home i forgot. of course getting a netflix special is a good thing, but it doesn't mean what it meant five years ago especially in comedy. most comedians are making their money from their podcast/patreon/gumroad/etc. these days. the popular ones are making up to 200k a month this way.

by Anonymousreply 22December 9, 2023 9:27 PM

Here's the thing is that if people like him didn't say these things then these organizations wouldn't have the opportunity to b**** about it and solicit money so really they don't care that he said it because it gives them a huge opportunity to have a platform they would otherwise have. Because let's face it but for stuff like this we don't really care about the little retards.

by Anonymousreply 23December 11, 2023 9:54 AM

fascinating that almost all of the comments are defending him when he thought this was funny -

[quote]he refers to children with cancer “baldies,” and continues to taunt them: “Why didn’t you wish to get better? What, are you f***ing r*****ed as well?”

Sorry but I don't really get it. So sue me.

by Anonymousreply 24December 11, 2023 9:59 AM

That is to say would not have. It's kind of like where sometimes I'll see a go fund me blow up solely because somebody made fun of or some terrible comments in reply to it and people throw their money at it. Like sometimes I feel like making fun of them under a fake account just because I know it will illicit a reaction in people to give where they probably wouldn't have before.

by Anonymousreply 25December 11, 2023 10:01 AM

R24 no one really cares if you get it or not and no one says you have to find it funny. But just because it's not a brand of humor you enjoy doesn't mean that everybody who does needs to be scolded about it or that the performer should be castigated for saying it.

by Anonymousreply 26December 11, 2023 10:03 AM

Another thing I don't have Netflix and I don't follow Ricky gervas and I had no idea he had any special or the internet he said anything about little retards so I wouldn't have given them a second thought just like pretty much anybody else who's not directly involved or affected by them. I'm certain like quite a few people are going to give money to them solely based on this outrage and I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix or some other corporation make some sort of large donation as a sort of me a mea culpa.

by Anonymousreply 27December 11, 2023 10:10 AM

This is disturbing. I've only seen him in For Your Consideration and when he hosted some awards show and I really liked his humor both times, and I've seen a few of his tweets and he seems like a sweet person...but I guess he really isn't. I find his remarks absolutely abhorrent, and there's no context in which I wouldn't. He's free to think and say whatever he wants, of course, but...wow. Netflix should hang its head in shame.

by Anonymousreply 28December 11, 2023 10:33 AM

I suspect most folks complaining (like R28) haven't actually watched his show to see if he was indeed being "abhorrent." Typical Internet outrage trolling.

by Anonymousreply 29December 11, 2023 10:37 AM

I'm not outraged, R29. I heard about this in seeing this thread a couple of minutes ago. Just expressing what I think about his remarks.

by Anonymousreply 30December 11, 2023 10:43 AM

I'm assuming a lot of you who find are critics of RG are probably the same people who shriek about books being banned/burned.

by Anonymousreply 31December 11, 2023 11:12 AM

Just don't watch him then. Pretend his existence away. Chances are, people who signed this petition are very good at pretending away reality so just shift focus a little.

by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2023 11:18 AM

r26, I’m with you on your first sentence.

You commit the same mistake as his critics with the rest of your paragraph.

Gervais has every right to say what he wishes to say. He, you and I don’t get to regulate if and how others right on react to what he says.

It’ll never cease to marvel at this notion that freedom of expression is a one way street. It isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 33December 11, 2023 11:35 AM

Ablest slurs?

by Anonymousreply 34December 11, 2023 11:35 AM

Oops, “ableist”-

by Anonymousreply 35December 11, 2023 11:35 AM

Oops, He, you and I don’t get to regulate if and how others react to what he says.

by Anonymousreply 36December 11, 2023 11:36 AM

I’ll never cease to marvel..

by Anonymousreply 37December 11, 2023 11:37 AM

That happens with comedians, they run out of jokes, and then keep doing edgier things until lines get crossed. Like that show jackass where they got to the level of attempting homicide

by Anonymousreply 38December 11, 2023 11:45 AM

[quote]he refers to children with cancer “baldies,” and continues to taunt them: “Why didn’t you wish to get better? What, are you f***ing r*****ed as well?”

That's fucking funny. Like those grifting Shriners midgets.

by Anonymousreply 39December 11, 2023 11:47 AM

I assumed it was a reference to the Make-A-Wish organization.

by Anonymousreply 40December 11, 2023 11:48 AM

I would hope not one of the precious souls who signed that petition is a DL reg! Why, they would be constantly shaking and crying while they scrolled and clicked on various threads, looking for new issues to be offended over.

by Anonymousreply 41December 11, 2023 11:51 AM

I hope Ricky Gervais offends the caca out of these SJWs.

If you do not care for his humor, here's a oft-repeated suggestion...DON'T WATCH THE SHOW!

Bunch of humorless sows and pigs!

by Anonymousreply 42December 11, 2023 11:52 AM

If you watched After Life then you know Gervais is an exceptionally sensitive person.

by Anonymousreply 43December 11, 2023 12:14 PM

What the fuck does "ableist" even mean?

by Anonymousreply 44December 11, 2023 12:17 PM

Rush Limbaugh walked so Howard Stern could run...so Ricky Gervais could soar.

by Anonymousreply 45December 11, 2023 12:35 PM

Ricky was just nominated for a Golden Globe for the special in question.

by Anonymousreply 46December 11, 2023 12:50 PM

Gervais is hilarious and has been more right than wrong these days. Overwhelmingly so. This just provides more fodder for his comedy.

Ableist, my ass.

by Anonymousreply 47December 11, 2023 12:58 PM

And let me pull out this old chestnut, by way of a PS.

Just because you're offended - say it with me - doesn't mean he's wrong. Or unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 48December 11, 2023 1:01 PM

I haven’t trusted him since he fixed the fang.

by Anonymousreply 49December 11, 2023 2:29 PM

I really enjoyed Life is Short as well, which I believe he produced. It centered around the dwarf Warwick Davis, star of the 80s movie Willow, and his life as an actor in LA. Very funny show. I will always remember what he says the goal for any actor should be, "Never give up pursuing your dreams and die before you realize you never made it."

by Anonymousreply 50December 11, 2023 3:02 PM

I currently have cancer, and will probably die from it in the next 3-5 years. (My stuff is already spoken for you cunt vultures.) I thought his joke was amusing and wasn't the least bit offended by it. And I think most people would find that people with cancer have a decent sense of humor about it. How could we not? What's the alternative? It doesn't mean we aren't scared shitless every day, but we can't let that fear take over or we're already dead. So if someone wants to make a silly joke about it, I'm there. Hell, I do it all the time about myself.

So, on behalf of people with cancer, I'd like to tell those of you *without* cancer who are taking it upon themselves to be offended for us- Fuck off. We don't need your fake, sanctimonious bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 51December 11, 2023 3:45 PM

Thoughts and prayers, r51.

by Anonymousreply 52December 11, 2023 3:48 PM

R51 Hope you shunt off soon then, you total waste of space. Hehehe.

by Anonymousreply 53December 11, 2023 4:37 PM

Here's a radical thought:

Instead of half- or mis-reporting what he says, why don't people actually watch the clip in question before spouting off?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 11, 2023 4:59 PM

This thread was started for the sole purpose of the OP wanting to promote this "boycott", knowing that it would help the topic show in Google results.

by Anonymousreply 55December 11, 2023 5:13 PM

I just set a reminder on Netflix to remind me when it's available.

Fuck the SJW cancel culturists...

by Anonymousreply 56December 11, 2023 5:18 PM

I just set a reminder for when this comes out.

Thanks protesters!

by Anonymousreply 57December 11, 2023 5:55 PM

R54...that's it?

Good God! He declares he's playing a role and telling jokes.

Bunch of humorless prats calling for a boycott

by Anonymousreply 58December 11, 2023 5:55 PM

[quote] Here's the thing is that if people like him didn't say these things then these organizations wouldn't have the opportunity to b**** about

B*****? Really, Mary?

by Anonymousreply 59December 11, 2023 6:32 PM

[quote] Rush Limbaugh walked so Howard Stern could run...so Ricky Gervais could soar.

Howard was first.

by Anonymousreply 60December 11, 2023 6:34 PM

Context is everything.

by Anonymousreply 61December 11, 2023 7:30 PM

Classic Gervais. He purposely shocks with an inappropriate joke, all while making an excellent larger point about tolerance and humor. It's amazing how many people are too dense to realize this.

by Anonymousreply 62December 11, 2023 10:25 PM

[quote]Context is everything.

NO IT ISN'T! YES OR NO?

by Anonymousreply 63December 12, 2023 12:07 AM

I love Gervais. I know that he can be harsh for some.

He’s heterosexual, but like me, he’s a childfree atheist and I love him for it.

by Anonymousreply 64December 12, 2023 1:43 AM

You remember years ago when the "Tender to the Touch" and the fibromialgia woman was a running joke on Datalounge? Who would have ever known that is what America would become.

by Anonymousreply 65December 12, 2023 4:33 PM

I couldn't stand this guy even before this.

by Anonymousreply 66December 12, 2023 10:00 PM

[quote]Who would have ever known that is what America would become.

Yes, sensitivity/indignation toward someone hoping to make thousands of people laugh at jokes mocking terminally ill children is a worrisome societal trend.

by Anonymousreply 67December 13, 2023 3:35 AM

are you serious R67? Do you suffer from Dry Asshole?

by Anonymousreply 68December 13, 2023 8:30 AM

[quote] being facetious like in this way doesn't come off well in the online retiring home i forgot.

?

by Anonymousreply 69December 16, 2023 2:24 PM

Or, those outraged viewers could just, you know, choose not to watch it. Where are all the sensible adults?

by Anonymousreply 70December 16, 2023 2:27 PM

He SHOULD be removed from Netflix because he's NOT funny.

by Anonymousreply 71December 16, 2023 2:27 PM

R71 thinks Shecky Greene is a riot!

by Anonymousreply 72December 16, 2023 2:28 PM

Stupid people like him because, in their minds, that makes them look sophisticated and smart.

by Anonymousreply 73December 16, 2023 2:39 PM

R73 - Oh honey, you just don't have it in you to be elitist.

by Anonymousreply 74December 16, 2023 6:34 PM

R72: I love BOTH Ricky Gervais and Shecky Greene. Sue me.

by Anonymousreply 75December 26, 2023 8:50 PM

Humour that punches is dying, so enjoy it while you can, cunts!

by Anonymousreply 76December 26, 2023 8:56 PM

[quote] "OH BOY FREE ADVERTISING! "- any moderately controversial comedian every 4 months when Netflix releases their special

As someone who doesn't care about stand-up comedy the only time I ever hear about these 90 minutes of apparently hate filled rants is when they get protested. I'd not have even been aware Chris Rock, Chapell, whoever that anti-woke guy the other month was, and now Gervais even had shows out if not for them.

by Anonymousreply 77December 26, 2023 9:10 PM

This thread is making me feel unsafe

by Anonymousreply 78December 26, 2023 9:12 PM

Gervais has already posed bloodied upon a crucifix for some magazine some years ago. It’s fucking retarded for Netflix or the viewers to expect him to be different than what he’s professed to be. It’s not like he’s only just found a profane comedic voice.

by Anonymousreply 79December 26, 2023 9:28 PM

Being mean for $port is great!

by Anonymousreply 80December 26, 2023 9:30 PM

I’ve never, ever found him to be clever or humorous.

by Anonymousreply 81December 26, 2023 9:48 PM

His shtick is being outrageous. I had no idea there is actually a website called "Does the Dog Die?" Hysterical. As mentioned upthread, you don't like him or his humor, don't watch. How much simpler can it be than that?

by Anonymousreply 82December 26, 2023 10:11 PM

I think people are uncomfortable with their subscription money funding him.

by Anonymousreply 83December 26, 2023 10:14 PM

Wow. I don’t find that funny. Guess what? I’m not going to watch. Easy.

by Anonymousreply 84December 26, 2023 10:15 PM

R83 I don’t like everything that’s offered on Netflix. Don’t watch or unsubscribe.

by Anonymousreply 85December 26, 2023 10:16 PM

It’s clear enough to me r83. Whenever I see his name attached to anything, I avoid it. I’m surprised I’m even replying to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 86December 26, 2023 10:16 PM

There's a difference between disinterest and not wanting to financially support something.

by Anonymousreply 87December 26, 2023 10:18 PM

He nails the "queer" shit, I love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 27, 2023 6:43 PM

Brilliant r88. I know he is harsh but he’s not wrong about this…

by Anonymousreply 89December 27, 2023 7:12 PM

I finally wathced this last night. Every time I watch RG, I'm always thinking, "This may be the one where I begin tuning him out." However, he never disappoints. Does he make me feel a bit uncomforable, yes! But does he offend me, no! He speaks the truth.

by Anonymousreply 90December 27, 2023 8:21 PM

^^Oh, dearing myself.

WATCHED not WATHCED

by Anonymousreply 91December 27, 2023 8:56 PM

[quote] What's the alternative? It doesn't mean we aren't scared shitless every day, but we can't let that fear take over or we're already dead.

I love this and it's also a great demonstration of why the hardcore part of the SJW movement is so clueless. They assume the people they "defend" are as humorless and miserable as they are. In reality, most people do NOT want to live life by dissecting everything to pieces.

by Anonymousreply 92December 27, 2023 9:12 PM

I watched it. Complaining about "woke" this and "woke" that made me roll my eyes and wasn't funny, but then he did an extended bit about ped0s which was truly edgy, outrageous, and laugh-out-loud hilarious. A mixed bag.

by Anonymousreply 93December 27, 2023 9:17 PM

Maybe so, but there is some value in advocating for the culture of humor to move from laughing at people to laughing with them.

by Anonymousreply 94December 28, 2023 9:25 AM

I think he's mostly an unfunny knobhead, but I don't want to see his content pulled. As it's on Netflix you can't even accidentally come across it; you have to choose to press play...

by Anonymousreply 95December 29, 2023 10:57 PM

R72 and R75:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 31, 2023 6:40 PM

The UK Office and Extras were both very, very funny. I don't care what he says in his special-- I will always love him for those two shows.

by Anonymousreply 97December 31, 2023 6:44 PM

[quote] As it's on Netflix you can't even accidentally come across it

Even if it was on regular television it shouldn’t be pulled. This censorship crap is dangerous. People need to stop being such babies.

by Anonymousreply 98December 31, 2023 7:33 PM

[quote] Maybe so, but there is some value in advocating for the culture of humor to move from laughing at people to laughing with them.

Theyre not advocating, they’re censoring. They’re fascist pricks.

by Anonymousreply 99December 31, 2023 7:34 PM

I've always liked him. One of my favorite comedic movies is Ghost Town. Genuinely funny. I watch it every couple of years.

i haven't watched this Netflix special though; i just wanted to weigh in and say he can be offensive to some people, and those people should just maybe NOT WATCH his shows, if that's the case. Unless what he's saying is truly harmful and causes real, physical injury to someone, just turn the channel and find other, more worthwhile causes to take up/protest about.

by Anonymousreply 100December 31, 2023 7:52 PM

I have a funny feeling that many of the "ban this show, Netflix" screechers are the same ones who get all social justice warrior-y when it comes to banning/burning books and how that is censorship and curbing freedom of expression, etc.. A touch of hypocrisy hurts everyone.

by Anonymousreply 101December 31, 2023 8:31 PM

His last special was kind of dull and flat, honestly, but none of that changes the fact that this whole banning comedians for offending morons is a terrible road to go down. Morons should take mockery as a chance to grow and flourish as less moronic people instead of getting all pissy about shit.

by Anonymousreply 102December 31, 2023 8:47 PM

More outrage to come:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103December 31, 2023 8:50 PM

r103 ruh-roh, gurrrl you better hide.

Adding to my Netflix queue.

by Anonymousreply 104December 31, 2023 9:02 PM

I watched this special - it was hilarious. When people bitched and made petitions for the last one, it ended up being the most watched special in netflix history. So bitch away, babies.

by Anonymousreply 105December 31, 2023 9:16 PM

Remember when the trans activists were up in arms over Gervais mocking them? Did they really expect to be spared by a comic who makes jokes about pedophilia, cancer kids and elderly rape victims with Alzheimer’s?

by Anonymousreply 106January 1, 2024 4:34 AM

I think jokes about children in peril of any kind are in very poor taste.

by Anonymousreply 107January 1, 2024 5:07 AM

Lowest of the low.

by Anonymousreply 108January 1, 2024 5:11 AM

The ironic thing with all these boycotts and calls to pull certain people off platforms is that it just makes them bigger and more notorious. You're just feeding them free press.

by Anonymousreply 109January 1, 2024 5:16 AM

[quote]The ironic thing with all these boycotts and calls to pull certain people off platforms is that it just makes them bigger and more notorious. You're just feeding them free press.

bump

by Anonymousreply 110January 1, 2024 5:24 AM

So don't watch him! That's how I felt about Andrew Dice Clay -- didn't watch him, didn't give him any $$ or attention.

These kids are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 111January 1, 2024 5:29 AM

I watched Armageddon last week and laughed my ass off. I haven't laughed so hard all year, and I needed to.

The jokes need to be seen in context. And FWIW, at the end of the hour, he addresses why he chooses these targets: Sometimes we have to laugh about the horrors of life, otherwise they can be too much to bear.

by Anonymousreply 112January 1, 2024 5:30 AM

R98 That's true. Though I wonder how many people have actually called for his show to be censored. I think a lot of media read social media and think complaints mean "ban it!" When a lot of the time people just like having a moan.

by Anonymousreply 113January 1, 2024 12:41 PM

I watched it. It's most not laugh out loud funny. Just taking the piss of woke culture, which is low-hanging fruit. Also using the technique of SHOCK and being DEPLORABLE. It's OK and he gets in a few germane observations and critiques.

by Anonymousreply 114January 1, 2024 1:18 PM

He shouldn’t be removed for the same reasons books shouldn’t be banned. It should be left up to personal choice. Don’t like Ricky Gervais? Don’t watch him.

by Anonymousreply 115January 1, 2024 1:20 PM

[quote] Viewers Demand Netflix Remove Offensive Ricky Gervais From Platform

Those ableist protestors don't have a leg to stand on

by Anonymousreply 116January 1, 2024 1:37 PM

R20 demonstrates that some retards don't have cancer.

Yet,

by Anonymousreply 117January 1, 2024 1:44 PM

Should have been “Viewers DEMAND . . “

Not emphasizing their passion is literal violence!!

by Anonymousreply 118January 1, 2024 4:12 PM

Going out on a limb here, but maybe kids with cancer like being treated normal, which includes being the butt of jokes like anyone else, instead of being treated with pity and sorrow in a patronizing manner.

by Anonymousreply 119January 1, 2024 4:17 PM

R119 is right. My brother had cystic fibrosis and the last thing he wanted to be known as was the sick kid.

by Anonymousreply 120January 1, 2024 4:31 PM

Chappelle made a great analogy too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121January 1, 2024 5:16 PM

That was a great analogy - and setup - by Dave Chapelle.

by Anonymousreply 122January 1, 2024 5:29 PM

1. He shouldn't be censored or cancelled.

2. He's not really funny. Occasionally a funny line, but mostly weak jokes.

3. Every routine now has several references about how incredibly rich he is. Ricky, if you have real money you don't make up stories about how rich you are.

by Anonymousreply 123January 1, 2024 5:56 PM

He's not making up stories about being rich R123.

He actually set a Guinness World Record for the highest gross for a stand-up performance ever: $1.79 million for a single performance at the Hollywood Bowl in May 2023.

Sounds like "real money" to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 1, 2024 7:22 PM

It's still incredibly gauche to talk about. But good for him, he speaks truths.

by Anonymousreply 125January 1, 2024 7:29 PM

Ok I know what I'm watching tonight

by Anonymousreply 126January 1, 2024 7:38 PM

I was more offended that he wasn’t funny at all. Maybe I just don’t get British dry humor. It was a snoozer.

by Anonymousreply 127January 1, 2024 7:46 PM

Nobody cares what a bunch of lefty cunts think hahahahahahahahaha TRUMP 2024 2028

by Anonymousreply 128January 1, 2024 7:49 PM

R124 To point is talking about it the way he does is just double-wide trailer trash stupidity.

R128 = Picks his nose and eats the boogers.

by Anonymousreply 129January 1, 2024 7:54 PM

Ricky Gervais is an unfunny troll generally speaking but After Life was excellent.

Comedians whining about being “cancelled” are full of shit. It’s free PR for them. They love bitching about how everyone is too sensitive and nobody understands their particular brand of incredible insight and watch their special available now on Patreon. It’s money in the bank for them to use that buzzword. They actually love saying they’re cancelled when in reality, nobody gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 130January 1, 2024 10:17 PM

Well talking about kids with cancer as being baldies doesn't sound the least bit funny or even clever. I do though often find him funny.

But it does remind me of when years ago I read doctors called children burn victims crispy critters. Very sick humor but kind of clever. So horrific it puts up a wall so you can deal with it as professionally as possible without emotion.

by Anonymousreply 131January 1, 2024 10:42 PM

As Dr. Cox said on Scrubs, "we don't make gallow's jokes because it's funny, we do it to deal with horrible situations....and because it's funny."

by Anonymousreply 132January 1, 2024 11:00 PM

[quote]Well talking about kids with cancer as being baldies doesn't sound the least bit funny or even clever.

It wasn’t a joke as much as him being affectionate towards them with a little ribbing and not being patronizing; it was all in his delivery.

by Anonymousreply 133January 2, 2024 12:49 AM

Kids in the Hall did a cancer boy skit too and it was great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134January 2, 2024 6:58 AM

Gervais’s bit on cultural appropriation is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 135January 2, 2024 8:05 AM

Dave Chappelle is "endangering the lives of marginalized people for his amusement."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136January 3, 2024 7:25 PM

Watched Dave Chappelle's latest last night. I wasn't offended, I just didn't find him funny at all. Which is a shame, he used to be hilarious! Now he's just being inflammatory for the sake of being inflammatory. Nothing really clever there.

The contextual set up was way too long for a mediocre punchline. And what the fuck was all the pseudo-philosophy at the end.

by Anonymousreply 137January 3, 2024 8:10 PM

SO many comedians have fallen into a rut with standup based on identity politics. Enough already. People over invested in identity politics are exhausting and not funny and we don't need laugh-less comedy routines sending it all up.

by Anonymousreply 138January 3, 2024 8:14 PM

[quote] Dave Chappelle's transphobia has swallowed his comedy whole By Matt Schimkowitz

How dare a wimpy vegetarian white guy like this try to police the speech of a person of color. That' s racist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139January 3, 2024 8:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!