Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Flight 571 carrying 19 sexy latino rugby players

crashed in the Andes in 1972. The wingless fuselage slammed into a glacier and slid down over 2,000 feet before it came to a rest at 11,700 ft.

Many of you remember the gruesome yet heroic survival story.

There's a new Spanish movie starring a couple gorgeous Uruguayans. Coming to Netflix in Jan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108February 12, 2024 5:52 AM

Amazing story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2023 9:59 PM

It opens in cinemas in December and on Netflix on 4 January (at least in Spain.)

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2023 10:06 PM

Thanks, OP. I felt alive seeing that.

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2023 10:10 PM

No thanks. Reading the story was horrifying enough.

by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2023 10:25 PM

I remember our teacher had us discuss the survival and cannibalism aspects of the story. I was in grammar school! Highly doubtful a teacher could broach such a subject today. In 5th and 6th grades are teachers would discuss all kinds of questions for instance from the counter culture, which was still hanging on in my parts.

by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2023 10:46 PM

Back when "eating ass" meant something different.

by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2023 10:47 PM

Please don't let them eat the hot ones!

by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2023 10:47 PM

Are teachers prevented from discussing such topics nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 8December 6, 2023 10:52 PM

Taste like šŸ”kinda chewy

by Anonymousreply 9December 6, 2023 10:55 PM

I believe parents would find it way too violent for their sparkle ponies. Am I wrong? I'm not sure teachers are allowed to discuss moral dilemmas. Maybe high school teachers.

by Anonymousreply 10December 6, 2023 10:57 PM

I remember Alive!, the 1993 Hollywood film about this story. The entire cannibalism aspect was limited to a couple of scenes and overshadowed by the themes of survival through mutual solidarity and camaraderie, for which in hindsight I am extremely grateful. Let's see how this film deals with the tragedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 6, 2023 11:12 PM

The 1993 film was excellent. I highly recommend it. Iā€™d read the book when I was a kid in the 1970s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 6, 2023 11:25 PM

They had hot asses, but we couldn't eat them forever.

by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2023 11:29 PM

When one of them said of another, "I could just eat that ass with a spoon!," he really meant it.

by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2023 11:29 PM

This looks incredible.

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2023 11:34 PM

Watching it now. The scene of the plane crash was horrific. It was too explicit. I don't know who plays the main guy, but he's hot. He is a great actor. I have only seen a bit of the movie, but so far it's very good. I can see this winning many awards.

by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2024 4:15 PM

Has anyone seen it yet? What did you think?

by Anonymousreply 17January 4, 2024 7:15 PM

Emotionally wrenching. My stomach was in knots just watching the trailer.

I read ALIVE years ago. It was gut-wrenching.

by Anonymousreply 18January 5, 2024 3:44 AM

This is why I hate flying. Always think of the movie Alive. Serous phobia now.

by Anonymousreply 19January 5, 2024 3:54 AM

I've read Alive, the book by Nando, and the book by Canessaa. It's such a fucking tragic but triumphant story. Imagine surviving the plane crash and then dying of hemmorhoids, like the one kid did. He couldn't stop bleeding and was so weak, he died. Or Nando, whose sister and mom died, or surviving and dying in an avalanche. I'm not lying when I say I think of these kids whenever I feel like I'm having a shitty day, or when I think it's cold and uncomfortable.

On a grosser note; they loved to eat bone marrow and blood clots.

by Anonymousreply 20January 5, 2024 3:59 AM

The 1972 movie was before I was born. However, i do remember the 1993 movie as a kid. Pretty good movie.

by Anonymousreply 21January 5, 2024 3:59 AM

90% on Rotten Tomatoes. It's on my watchlist for this weekend. By happy coincidence, a snowstorm is forecasted.

by Anonymousreply 22January 5, 2024 4:09 AM

I was hoping the Closet Queen would double down so Kimmel would sue his ass. Itā€™s telling, though, that he hasn't apologized.

by Anonymousreply 23January 5, 2024 4:11 AM

Fuck! Wrong post.

by Anonymousreply 24January 5, 2024 4:19 AM

I'm sad this movie isn't more popular here on DL. It was superb. A truly great movie.

by Anonymousreply 25January 5, 2024 3:04 PM

The make up people did a great job. They deserve an Oscar nom at the very least. I hope this movie gets sound and make up noms if it doesn't get best foreign movie nom (though it should).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 5, 2024 4:57 PM

Didnā€™t we already have a movie about this?

by Anonymousreply 27January 5, 2024 5:08 PM

R27 It was 30 years ago. This movie is not only better, it is also more accurate according to the survivors.

by Anonymousreply 28January 5, 2024 5:15 PM

For all the haters here: why don't you just watch it before you trash it? If you still hate it, fine. We all have differenr opinions. But I think it's childish to trash it without even seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 29January 5, 2024 5:23 PM

Omg I was OBSESSED with Panchito Abal. I bought and read the book in 7th or 8th grade, and just looked at his picture over and over all that year.

by Anonymousreply 30January 5, 2024 5:24 PM

[quote] east. I hope this movie gets sound

Itā€™s not a talkie?

by Anonymousreply 31January 5, 2024 5:37 PM

Watched last night. I had seen the two previous versions, the trashy Mexican movie from 1976 (Survive!) and the American version from 1993 (Alive). This one is by far and away the best and most emotional of the three. Bayona made a masterpiece. Don't miss it.

And if you want to know how human flesh really tastes watch the many interviews with the survivors on YouTube. They're fascinating especially after watching the movie.

by Anonymousreply 32January 5, 2024 5:50 PM

[quote] the trashy Mexican movie from 1976 (Survive!) and the American version from 1993 (Alive)

Why didnā€™t they name the American version ā€œAlive!ā€?

by Anonymousreply 33January 5, 2024 5:57 PM

I watched this in the cinema and yesterday on Netflix...still a great movie but on the big screen its phenomenal.

I've always been obsessed with this story and being argentinean especially has helped it feel closer to my heart. It's so bittersweet and such an affirmation of love and life, yet also incredibly tragic for some. It's always vaguely reminded me of the AIDS crisis in the 80s, young men's life and potential cut short, the best of people coming out in the worst of situations, etc. Sounds out of left field but watch it and you'll get it.

And yes, the guys are cute, especially the guy plain the "main" role, Numa, dude is STUNNING.

by Anonymousreply 34January 5, 2024 6:07 PM

R27 there have been countless movies about the same real life events, whats your point?

This film isnt a sacharine Disney Hollywood film, its far more gritty and realistic and based on a book by a friend of the survivors, it's in uruguayan spanish with an argentinean/uruguayan cast and has the resounding approval of all the survivors. So no, not the same.

by Anonymousreply 35January 5, 2024 6:12 PM

Society of the Snow getting the BAFTA recognition it deserves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 5, 2024 6:56 PM

Saw a great documentary on the survivors last year. Cool men. And it was not cannibalism, as they only ate the humans to survive, not for shits and giggles.

by Anonymousreply 37January 5, 2024 7:08 PM

I've heard about this but haven't seen any of the movies. What caused the crash?

by Anonymousreply 38January 5, 2024 9:16 PM

R38 Pilot error. They descended too soon, while the plane was still over the Andes.

by Anonymousreply 39January 5, 2024 9:24 PM

Yeah, the idiot pilot was lost, in "Alive" he kept saying, "We passed Curacao" which they did NOT do so even then they were still lost.

by Anonymousreply 40January 5, 2024 10:27 PM

R38 basically the pilot thought he had crossed the Andes, was in Chile,and started to fly upwards towards Santiago...except he hasn't cleared the mountains and when he started to descend he realized they were still smack in the middle of the Andes. Ooops.

To be fair to the pilot though he originally hadnt wanted to fly that day because the weather was not good, but the passengers insisted so much they sort pushed him.

by Anonymousreply 41January 5, 2024 10:33 PM

[quote]Back when "eating ass" meant something different.

I was there and "eating ass" usually meant the same thing it means today.

by Anonymousreply 42January 5, 2024 10:38 PM

R41 Yep, it was Ftiday the 13th too, bad omen.

by Anonymousreply 43January 5, 2024 10:56 PM

And the plane was an old piece of shit too, did not have a good reputation.

by Anonymousreply 44January 5, 2024 11:03 PM

[quote] did not have a good reputation.

The plane was known to the be the slut of altitudes.

by Anonymousreply 45January 5, 2024 11:05 PM

Actually the plane was only four years old and was the military version of the Fokker F27 which used to be a workhorse for regional use - I used to fly them a lot as a kid and even though it was propeller driven and the flight was mostly over the water it never bothered me.

The problem with this flight was the inexperienced co-pilot who was flying the plane being instructed by the pilot, and that the operating ceiling for this plane was really being pushed flying over the Andes. They usually flew much lower.

by Anonymousreply 46January 5, 2024 11:26 PM

Apparently the director is gay and married, so he kbew what he was doing hiring some of those actors.

by Anonymousreply 47January 6, 2024 1:01 AM

So you have to read subtitles?

by Anonymousreply 48January 6, 2024 1:04 AM

R48 - if you're too stupid to read subtitles it also comes with dubbed English speech. Sounds like that will be perfect for you.

by Anonymousreply 49January 6, 2024 1:11 AM

R48 Nom nom.

by Anonymousreply 50January 6, 2024 1:12 AM

R37, that's still cannibalism, dumbass, whether you're smiling or not.

Legal Information Institute: "Cannibalism is defined as the consumption of another human's body matter, whether consensual or not. In the United States, there are no laws against cannibalism per se, but most, if not all, states have enacted laws that indirectly make it impossible to legally obtain and consume the body matter."

by Anonymousreply 51January 6, 2024 1:20 AM

This didn't happen in the US R51 so why even mention it. Completely irrelevant.

They had two inevitable choices. Die or eat whatever was available and live. Some of the survivors choose not to eat and so they died.

According to what I've read the plane crashed 2 or 3 times before the tail and both wings were gone and it turned into a bobsled. The crash scene in Flight 571 is well done. Not over done but it makes the necessary points. But it is factually incorrect that the plane clipped the peak once and the tail and both wings came off at once as was shown in the film.

by Anonymousreply 52January 6, 2024 1:32 AM

R47 I didn't know, that's great though. That's probably why the emotional aspect of this movie was a lot better than in Alive. Friendship, camaraderie, community... all were themes that I felt were done better in this movie. No, it wasn't gay, but I think a gay director is able to portray those emotions better than a straight director would.

by Anonymousreply 53January 6, 2024 6:03 AM

Reading about Nuna and I learned something I didn't know. He was a law student. He didn't play rugby and wasn't on the team, but tagged along with his friends. He shouldn't even have been there.

by Anonymousreply 54January 6, 2024 7:20 AM

R54 there were quite a few like that, in fact a handful of survivors werent even on the the team.

Real life Numa was cute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 6, 2024 11:55 AM

Yes R54 They had a whole plane and some other people wanted to go to Uruguay or wherever, so there were a few people who weren't on the team or even related to team members. And that Carlitos guy was only 15...he survived the crash but died later. Christ, talk about god testing you...and they did, because they were staunch catholics.

by Anonymousreply 56January 6, 2024 1:14 PM

#1 movie in 43 countries. Well deserved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 6, 2024 1:20 PM

It was just nominated for a Golden Globe. I know it probably won't win. Zone of Interest is supposed to be the favorite by a huge margin. Even so, I'm glad it was nominated. It's recognition of a grreat movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 6, 2024 3:19 PM

R58 = Tony the Tiger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 6, 2024 3:23 PM

R59 Sorry, I realize I'm a month too late. The noms were in December. I clearly don't pay attention.

by Anonymousreply 60January 6, 2024 5:09 PM

Ugh. You're still a dumbass, R52; it's still defined as cannibalism in the countries involved. More importantly, what's wrong with calling it what it is? It doesn't mean it was criminally or morally wrong. It was necessary for survival, and no one was deliberately killed. I'm comfortable with their choices; I'd do the same. However, I'm sick of snowflakes like you who change definitions to suit an agenda. I bet you have a broad, incoherent definition of "woman."

by Anonymousreply 61January 6, 2024 11:21 PM

That plane crash scene is one of the most brutal movie scenes Iā€™ve ever seen. Makes you not want to fly the 737 max ever again.

by Anonymousreply 62January 6, 2024 11:29 PM

I remember a documentary on this: I found it really interesting that when they managed to return home and spoke to the press, they sought to justify their actions by comparing their cannibalism to the act of taking communion, which of course for a devout Catholic is considered to be literally the body and blood of Christ. Newspaper headlines at the time had religious overtones, referring to their rescue as a 'miracle' but also containing headings proclaiming 'Que Dios les perdone!' (May God forgive them).

by Anonymousreply 63January 6, 2024 11:42 PM

For what it's worth the take from Catholic theologians was that this was 'not sinful' due to the circumstances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 6, 2024 11:46 PM

R61 - go fuck yourself you insufferable sanctimonious cunt.

by Anonymousreply 65January 7, 2024 1:01 AM

Another movie?

by Anonymousreply 66January 7, 2024 1:09 AM

Just watched it. Very good movie and very, very sad. It doesnā€™t hold back on what they went through. One of the saddest things -SPOILER- is a scene when they are all in the fuselage, finally with some measure of ā€œcomfortā€ and are joking around and smoking- and the avalanches hit. Itā€™s devastating.

by Anonymousreply 67January 7, 2024 1:21 AM

I found the avalanche and what came after more grueling than the crash itself.

by Anonymousreply 68January 7, 2024 1:50 AM

Alive is my all-time favorite movie.

by Anonymousreply 69January 7, 2024 3:36 AM

I knew it wouldn't win at the Golden Globes, but it still makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 70January 8, 2024 8:20 AM

I tried to read the book on the plane when I flew from Santiago to Montevideo. Brilliant ideaā€¦it made me nauseous and I had to stop.

by Anonymousreply 71January 8, 2024 8:43 AM

The film is doing great, number 1 on Netflix in like 75 countries, and doing better than Maestro and May/December.

by Anonymousreply 72January 10, 2024 2:57 PM

R72 I'm very happy about that because it's an excellent movie. And the fact that it was made with unknown actors and still performed so well is a testament to its brilliance. I just hope it gets at least nominated for an Oscar. It was robbed at the Golden Globes.

by Anonymousreply 73January 10, 2024 4:32 PM

R73 I'm sure its getting a nod...it's been nominated as FL film for all the awards and no doubt its popularity will help it's chances. Sadly don't see it taking it, but it's getting nominated for sure.

by Anonymousreply 74January 10, 2024 5:08 PM

R74 Same. I sadly don't think it will win. Seems like other movies are bigger favorites to win, but it should at the very least be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 75January 10, 2024 5:58 PM

R75 not necessarily the other movies but that french one The Zone of Interest definitely seems to be the favorite. Very artsy and high faluttin', the type of film the Academy adores. Blegh.

by Anonymousreply 76January 10, 2024 6:20 PM

I ate my friends

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 14, 2024 3:49 PM

One of the best movies of last year. My bitter cunt heart doesn't normally respond to tales of Survival! and Inspiration! but this was damned good.

by Anonymousreply 78January 14, 2024 3:58 PM

Was this on the soundtrack?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79January 14, 2024 4:00 PM

I read after the pilot went below the clouds and realized he was not over the Andes he pulled up the plane was almost vertical and that stalled the plane. That doesn't make senses to me because then you go into a free fall. Any pilots on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 80January 15, 2024 4:04 AM

I wonder if any of these guys joke about it now? 50 years later, hey Marco, what you doing later? I would LOVE to have you for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 81January 15, 2024 4:07 AM

It was snubbed again. It didn't win the critics choice award. It makes me so sad.

by Anonymousreply 82January 15, 2024 9:44 AM

[quote]It's such a fucking tragic but triumphant story. Imagine surviving the plane crash and then dying of hemmorhoids, like the one kid did.

Now that's a real pain in the ass!

by Anonymousreply 83January 15, 2024 9:55 AM

R81 they joked about it then (to a certain degree, obvs). I would imagine you'd need to find some humor in something, just for your own sanity.

R82 oh who gives a fuck, awards don't make a film any better. The way people put so much importance and recognition on something as subjective and relative as award ceremonies is a tad sad.

by Anonymousreply 84January 15, 2024 10:12 AM

I think Nando Parrado gets 250k per speaking engagement, so who fucking cares if his film wins some shitty, political awards. He married a hot chick, as did Canessa, he's doing okay.

by Anonymousreply 85January 15, 2024 3:15 PM

I wonder if any of them went vegan after that.

by Anonymousreply 86January 16, 2024 3:28 AM

They were Uruguayans. Of course not.

by Anonymousreply 87January 16, 2024 3:32 AM

Damn something of those actors were hot. If I were there I'd let all of them fuck me.

by Anonymousreply 88January 16, 2024 6:08 AM

I was in Middle School when all this situation occurred. I distinctly remember a lot of negative press regarding the cannibalism aspect. This was not brought forward in any of the movies but was a component of the events that actually took place. I wonder if any of the family members of the "consumed" were interviewed for their thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 89January 16, 2024 1:37 PM

The tag line for the original movie was: Would you do what they did to STAY ALIVE?????

by Anonymousreply 90January 16, 2024 1:55 PM

R81, I remember reading an interview where one of them said they went for dinner together once and warned the waiter that if he didn't bring their meals quickly enough, they might have to eat him. They said the waiter looked rather taken aback.

by Anonymousreply 91January 16, 2024 2:05 PM

R89 the few that were were ok with it and no family member has come out against it. I saw an interview once from Gustavo "Coco" Nicolich's mother who not only gave her blessing to the survivors but said she was happy her son was living on in each of the survivors.

What people may not know is what a tight knit community the team and their family/friends were and still are. Carrasco is a pretty small town and everyone is very close. A survivor's wife said recently the situation was all very bizzare with alot of mixed emotions after the rescue because alot of the survivors were happy to be alive but mourning their dead friends, and the friends/family of those that died were mourning for their loved ones yet happy the others survived.

by Anonymousreply 92January 16, 2024 2:37 PM

Correcting myself, Carrasco is a neighborhood, not a small town, a pretty well to do neighborhood. But the point remains the same.

by Anonymousreply 93January 16, 2024 2:58 PM

Were there recipe suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 94January 16, 2024 3:01 PM

Talk about PTSD!

by Anonymousreply 95January 16, 2024 7:01 PM

How to serve man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 17, 2024 10:13 AM

As others have said, I was shocked by how graphic the crash scene was. They didnā€™t beat about the bush and showed things as (I suppose) they happened. Absolutely terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 97January 17, 2024 10:36 AM

Spoiler alert, R96!

by Anonymousreply 98January 17, 2024 1:43 PM

I never heard about the bone marrow, hemorrhoids or blood clots. Tell us more!

by Anonymousreply 99January 17, 2024 2:50 PM

That was in alive I think R99. I need to dig that book back up. I read it sooo many times, it was kind of hidden in there. I need to finish Canessa's book and I read Nando's, I bet he mentions it too.

by Anonymousreply 100January 17, 2024 2:54 PM

[quote]Watching it now. The scene of the plane crash was horrific. It was too explicit.

The plane crash scenes in the 1993 movie are pretty horrific as well. One of the worst moments comes right after the first impact with the mountain, when two or three of the young men get sucked out of the plane. Excellent special effects for that time.

by Anonymousreply 101January 17, 2024 3:04 PM

I could handle the crash scene up to the breaking bones as they piled on top of each other. I had to look away.

by Anonymousreply 102January 21, 2024 6:03 AM

R102 Same. That part made me sick.

by Anonymousreply 103January 21, 2024 7:50 AM

Whoa, how did I not know about this movie? I must see it! I love the old exploitation 70's true stories. The Spanish one about Jonestown was great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104January 22, 2024 4:33 AM

R47 Here he is at the Goya Awards yesterday, kissing his husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 11, 2024 5:14 PM

The movie won 12 awards yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106February 11, 2024 5:18 PM

They were so hungry they ate the thread title.

by Anonymousreply 107February 11, 2024 7:15 PM

I was kinda hoping the cute little twink Matias Recalt was gay, but turns out he has a girlfriend. Nothing screams gay from his insta either. I don't even think he's bi. Same with Enzo. He only follows beautiful women on insta, so the verdict is he's straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108February 12, 2024 5:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!