Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Breaking News: Hugh Grant hated making Wonka but needed a paycheck really bad.

Tell us something we don’t know Hugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119October 19, 2024 12:47 AM

He's such a cunt. This isn't refreshing honesty it's self-centered cunting.

by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2023 12:16 PM

Not a gracious bone to be found in his entire body.

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2023 12:18 PM

Who’s the girl he’s standing with? She looks like a young Minnie Driver.

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2023 12:20 PM

Timmy is a doll. Why all the hate?

by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2023 12:22 PM

Keep your dick in your pants Hugh

by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2023 12:30 PM

Agree with r1, although I’m sure producers know the potential financial benefit of his star presence outweighs whatever they have to put up with when he’s promoting the movie.

Grant is an old, male, movie star, albeit in supporting roles, and is allowed to get by with this stuff.

I was going g to include the fact that he’s white gives him even more allowance, but after thinking about it, Denzel Washington is no walk in the park, either, when it comes to promoting his films, although Washington is the bigger star.

I never found Grant appealing, even in his prime. But, apparently, Wonka needed his stardom, such as it is.

by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2023 12:34 PM

Girl on the right needs help

by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2023 12:35 PM

Remember when people gave me hell for talking badly about my movie?

by Anonymousreply 8December 6, 2023 12:38 PM

Forgot to sign.

by Anonymousreply 9December 6, 2023 12:38 PM

R8 ?

by Anonymousreply 10December 6, 2023 12:39 PM

I bet he's trying to be like his fellow Brits Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine, who both said similar things late in their career about only doing movies for money.

by Anonymousreply 11December 6, 2023 12:41 PM

R10 Katharine Heigl, who was supposed to be promoting Judd Apatow's KNOCKED UP way back when, but ended up saying the film was misogynistic and how much she hated working on it.

by Anonymousreply 12December 6, 2023 12:44 PM

He’s like the show business version of Freda Claxton.

by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2023 1:01 PM

Shame he's such a dick because he's aging beautifully and is a much better actor than he was in his youth.

by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2023 1:21 PM

He was always a charming actor.

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2023 1:23 PM

J’adore Hugh’s cuntiness!

by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2023 1:30 PM

He's in his 60's and has five kids with two different women, and all of them under 18. He's almost as bad as Alec Baldwin. He should shut his mouth and be grateful that Hollywood keeps churning out crap like Wonka to keep him employed.

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2023 1:43 PM

If the movie is a hit, his story will change. " It was the greatest experience. I was kidding about what I had said earlier. Doesn't everyone understand humor?"

by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2023 2:27 PM

[quote] Shame he's such a dick because he's aging beautifully

said no one ever.

by Anonymousreply 19December 6, 2023 2:30 PM

Why can't this bitter old cunt just keep his mouth shut?

by Anonymousreply 20December 6, 2023 2:37 PM

I hate it when entertainers blatantly say they're only in it for the money.

Leave some of the illusion in tact, fools.

by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2023 2:38 PM

He's pretty hot at his age. And I prefer this kind of cuntiness from actors rather than all the faux-humbleness. Give me a fucking break.

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2023 2:40 PM

Who would ever want to hire or work with this arrogant asshole?

It's not like he's a huge box office draw anymore.

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2023 2:40 PM

He's always been a snarky cunt. Pity he's not gay, he would have been fun at our parties, when younger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2023 2:42 PM

I've always enjoyed his wit and honesty compared to other celebrities of his same stature. Can you imagine someone like Tom Cruise or Julia Roberts being so open about a movie project? I think that after surviving the Divine Brown scandal he doesn't give a flying fuck under the circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2023 2:43 PM

Where did Timothee find that top? So daring, so silly.

by Anonymousreply 26December 6, 2023 2:45 PM

R26: Kylie's closet.

by Anonymousreply 27December 6, 2023 2:54 PM

He always has a stick in his ass. He is just jealous because Timothy is receiving all the accolades and Hugh has become an old has been.

He is now trying to regain the attention by his damn complaining.

Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 28December 6, 2023 2:54 PM

R28. Oops ,damn autocorrect. It should read “Timothee” not Timothy.

by Anonymousreply 29December 6, 2023 3:00 PM

I was going to post a comment but then i read the article. He is far from gracious but mostly his complaints are related with how the animation process affected his acting to the point he wasn’t sure what he was doing, which i find a very fair critiscism.

by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2023 3:06 PM

R30 Fine. Then an adult would say that the animation process was a challenge for him and something that he wasn't anticipating to be as difficult as it was.

Instead, this asshole just trashes the movie and says he hated being in it.

by Anonymousreply 31December 6, 2023 3:09 PM

Aging terribly. Alcohol?

by Anonymousreply 32December 6, 2023 3:15 PM

Timmy looks so cute

by Anonymousreply 33December 6, 2023 3:15 PM

Is anyone surprised?

by Anonymousreply 34December 6, 2023 3:20 PM

Remember when he got caught with a hooker at the peak of his career?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

by Anonymousreply 35December 6, 2023 3:43 PM

[quote] Remember when he got caught with a hooker at the peak of his career? Of course. It was my big break.

by Anonymousreply 36December 6, 2023 3:59 PM

Is that Tiny Tim's nips on display, or just the fabric?

by Anonymousreply 37December 6, 2023 5:46 PM

Why does he still get roles? Such a wanker.

by Anonymousreply 38December 6, 2023 5:54 PM

Even at his current age, Hugh is much prettier than his wife. I wonder what the deal is with that.

by Anonymousreply 39December 6, 2023 6:13 PM

[quote]Hugh said he was confused throughout filming as to whether he should "act with my body or not, and I never received a satisfactory answer." He added, "And frankly, what I did with my body was terrible, and it’s all been replaced with an animator" — including his dancing.

Who wouldn't hate that?

by Anonymousreply 40December 6, 2023 6:13 PM

He's saying the movie director is inept and that's not kind to a movie before release.

by Anonymousreply 41December 6, 2023 6:25 PM

The film is projected to do blockbuster business over the holidays and will become one of those Christmas classic that kids watch endlessly. Hugh's agents were likely smart enough to demand a piece of the backend (box office and residuals) so he'll make some serious cash from doing a part that only required that he act in front of a blue screen. He was smart to take the role considering he's not in great demand for other roles. As I recall, he was equally dismissive of the Bridget Jones franchise.

by Anonymousreply 42December 6, 2023 6:26 PM

I heard he steals the show, so.... better get used to success, yet again, Hugh.

I do think a lot of his comments are dry British wit and he's really not hating it that much.

by Anonymousreply 43December 6, 2023 6:37 PM

There's a reason why Hugh's best performances (Jeremy Thorpe, Paddington, Awfully Big Adventure, Bridget Jones) are where he's playing narcissistic psychopaths.

by Anonymousreply 44December 6, 2023 7:01 PM

I thought he made a good Mr Waverly in Man from UNCLE but then I liked that film although no one else did.

by Anonymousreply 45December 6, 2023 7:18 PM

I really hope this movie will be a bigger bomb than Cats. So disgusted with the half-assed prequels.

by Anonymousreply 46December 6, 2023 7:22 PM

I loved it. It was much better than Cats. I’m going to see it again and again.

by Anonymousreply 47December 6, 2023 7:43 PM

High Grant was actually terrific opposite Meryl when she played Florence Foster Jenkins

by Anonymousreply 48December 6, 2023 8:35 PM

Agreed,r48.

by Anonymousreply 49December 6, 2023 8:44 PM

His co-stars are careful how they discuss him. Emma Thompson called him prickly and he didn’t like a scene where her crying upstaged his monologue. He and Drew did not get along, Julia Roberts hates him. I wonder what he’s like at home? I bet his wife doesn’t take any shit from him.

by Anonymousreply 50December 6, 2023 8:44 PM

Having seen trailers featuring his CGI Oompa Loompa character, the idea that this will be the thing making a movie a smash hit forces me to consider the possibility that I've died and gone to Hell without realizing it.

by Anonymousreply 51December 6, 2023 8:57 PM

I don't mind cuntiness, but I don't like belittling. He was a prick to Ashley Graham - not a fan, but she was just doing her job - on a recent red carpet (or was it ages ago, I can't remember). Something about Vanity Fair. Anyway, Hugh can fuck off. He should thank his lucky stars anyone even considers him for a role.

by Anonymousreply 52December 6, 2023 9:04 PM

It's just classless and unprofessional for him to cash the check and then trash the movie right before it opens. If he needed the money, then he should be grateful for the job and keep quiet. He can trash it down the road when it won't make a difference to anyone.

I'm sure Lee Grant wasn't thrilled about The Omen II, but she didn't come out and say how much she hated acting in it during the premiere.

by Anonymousreply 53December 6, 2023 9:14 PM

He is the Cilla Black of actors.

by Anonymousreply 54December 6, 2023 9:15 PM

[quote] High Grant was actually terrific opposite Meryl when she played Florence Foster Jenkins

He probably also didn't act like a fucking petulant asshole around her, because she would have had him for breakfast without a thought.

by Anonymousreply 55December 6, 2023 9:16 PM

As R44 mentioned, this is his "brand" so he can say things like this and the response will be that's just Hugh being Hugh.I have to say that of all the British males Hollywood has foisted upon the public since the 1990s, Hugh is one of the few with staying power and who you could actually call a movie star. Women love "bad boys" like him, hence the majority of his roles post-Divine Brown. He does have charisma, though...

by Anonymousreply 56December 6, 2023 9:20 PM

Hugh has lately been a pill on the Red Carpet.

by Anonymousreply 57December 6, 2023 9:37 PM

R18, Your opening dependent clause ("If ...")? Not to worry.

It won't be.

by Anonymousreply 58December 6, 2023 9:40 PM

R42, "Christmas classic" with children? I think you misjudge.

by Anonymousreply 59December 6, 2023 9:45 PM

Hugh Grant is neither Laurence Olivier nor Michael Caine.

by Anonymousreply 60December 6, 2023 10:24 PM

Nor is he Helen Mirren nor Vivian Vance.

by Anonymousreply 61December 6, 2023 10:38 PM

Boy, you're so intelligent, R61. Thanks for your contribution.

by Anonymousreply 62December 6, 2023 10:42 PM

R52 Ask a retarded question, get a retarded answer. Maybe then we’ll stop the inane red carpet chitter chatter from “influencers”.

Is there an influx of frauen on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 63December 6, 2023 10:45 PM

Hugh was the only person Robert Downey Jr. openly disliked working with (although evidently they have patched it up a tad).

I heard he doesn't share screen space with Daniel Craig in The Glass Onion for a reason.

That said, I think he's got his own unique niche.

His voicework in that animated Pirates film was terrific (solid cast all around).

by Anonymousreply 64December 6, 2023 10:56 PM

[quote]Julia Roberts hates him.

Was that why she was so dreary in Notting Hill? She can’t turn up the wattage unless her male co-star wants to fuck her?

by Anonymousreply 65December 6, 2023 10:56 PM

Timothee's stylist is on crack. His wardrobe is always awful. He needs to take some part of his art or craft or celebrity seriously.

by Anonymousreply 66December 6, 2023 10:59 PM

What a rude thing to say right before the film opens.

by Anonymousreply 67December 6, 2023 11:04 PM

I don't understand how anything he said trashes the movie or has anything to do with the quality of the movie. He hated filming with heavy VFX.

Someone upthread did say this is on brand for him. Someone else mentioned that he and drew barrymore hated each other. I think I remember him going on her talk show and it was a lovefest and they talked about how much they loved the movie and enjoyed filming it.

by Anonymousreply 68December 6, 2023 11:23 PM

He doesn’t need money; he sued Sun.

He’s a liar and a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 69December 7, 2023 12:36 AM

R3 That's Tiffani Shallowmay

by Anonymousreply 70December 7, 2023 12:37 AM

Is Timmy transitioning. He makes a beautiful lady man.

by Anonymousreply 71December 7, 2023 1:43 AM

That was a fun read.

Its unfair how great his hair has been at every age

by Anonymousreply 72December 7, 2023 1:52 AM

Why does Timothee Chalamet dress like he is about to do the free skate portion of his Olympic qualifying round.

by Anonymousreply 73December 7, 2023 2:17 AM

British actors are required to say Hollywood is horrible, America doesn’t have cinema, I’ll gladly take their money but I’m100% high quality British actor, wink wink, and I’m very good at acting as if I’m happy when I’m making this horrid films. Britain is my home. I only go there for the money and the weather in LA. My children go to boarding school in UK, of course, so they learn how to speak properly.

by Anonymousreply 74December 7, 2023 2:21 AM

lol, r73!

For the life of me, I knew his get-up reminded me of something, but I couldn't put my finger on it until I read your post.

I usually get a kick out of what Chalamet and his stylist choose for his runway appearances.

He's young, daring, and has the body and star power to get away with whatever and why not?

But this was a misfire.

by Anonymousreply 75December 7, 2023 2:48 AM

"For this I went to Oxford?"

by Anonymousreply 76December 7, 2023 3:02 AM

[quote] High Grant was actually terrific opposite Meryl when she played Florence Foster Jenkins

It's because they couldn't keep High off the weed, and it relaxed him for once.

by Anonymousreply 77December 7, 2023 3:41 AM

I hate his goddamn guts. Is there no other hot British actor out there who can do his roles? He’s such a fucking twat.

by Anonymousreply 78December 7, 2023 5:39 AM

He's exhausting, and is rapidly aging to the tipping point at which it will no longer be worthwhile to cast him.

by Anonymousreply 79December 7, 2023 5:57 AM

I find his honesty refreshing. The movie looks dumb and must have been tedious to film.

by Anonymousreply 80December 7, 2023 6:41 AM

Meryl said she hated the process of filming Death Becomes Her due to the heavy special effects 'Like going to the dentist' but had the grace to say she loved filming it and was amazed by the end product.

by Anonymousreply 81December 7, 2023 9:10 AM

Did Hugh want all of those kids? I don't get how come men his age don't get a vasectomy or at minimum use a condom. You just know that there must be lots of women seeing a good pay day for years.

by Anonymousreply 82December 7, 2023 9:30 AM

The consensus seems to be according to the first few user reviews on IMDB that it's solid and cute but nothing memorable or groundbreaking. Again these could be from critics who got early access and were paid to write positive reviews. Also, yes it is a musical with quite a few numbers.

by Anonymousreply 83December 7, 2023 7:29 PM

Whatta diva!

Seriously, he has always been annoying.

by Anonymousreply 84December 7, 2023 9:01 PM

We should do a movie together

by Anonymousreply 85December 7, 2023 9:29 PM

I'd watch them in an Odd Couple reboot.

by Anonymousreply 86December 7, 2023 9:33 PM

I don't like him, but I don't think what he said was so horrible.

by Anonymousreply 87December 7, 2023 9:38 PM

What R86? Timmy's nipples?

by Anonymousreply 88December 7, 2023 9:39 PM

I don't understand why Grant " needs a paycheck"... He's worth about $150 million USD.

by Anonymousreply 89December 7, 2023 9:44 PM

Of course I was WONDERFUL in that Johnny Depp movie...

by Anonymousreply 90December 7, 2023 9:51 PM

[quote] I don't understand why Grant " needs a paycheck"... He's worth about $150 million USD.

I like expensive poontang-- YOU wouldn't understand.

by Anonymousreply 91December 7, 2023 10:12 PM

Hugh NEEDS some work done. He is aging badly. All those kids at his age would be horribly stressful.

by Anonymousreply 92December 7, 2023 10:14 PM

I really enjoyed Hugh in Paddington 2 and thought that the final song and dance number was the best thing he's ever done. Whether that's praising the man's acting talents or damning them I can't say, but by all accounts he's the best part of Wonka.

He probably is a prick in the way that all fucking actors are, but he also has an exceedingly dry wit. At least he's being honest. Except for the needing money part. I don't believe that one bit.

by Anonymousreply 93December 7, 2023 10:35 PM

Bel Ami boy on the right

by Anonymousreply 94December 7, 2023 10:37 PM

Divine Brown gave him a $50 blow job and then got arrested for it. You never heard her complaining about it . Try to be more professional about your work, Hugh. Try to be like Divine Brown.

by Anonymousreply 95December 7, 2023 11:02 PM

Why have 5 fucking kids if you CANT AFFORD IT? Why do that to yourself?

by Anonymousreply 96December 7, 2023 11:09 PM

I’m nearly certain the clinical term for this particular behavioral profile is “straight up turd”.

by Anonymousreply 97December 8, 2023 12:15 AM

He doesn't like condoms, R96.

by Anonymousreply 98December 8, 2023 12:14 PM

Some people reach a certain age and start worrying about what they've missed out on or what their legacy will be. Then they procreate

by Anonymousreply 99December 8, 2023 12:22 PM

Not "paid to write a positive review," r83:

(Try to ignore the "its.")

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100December 8, 2023 12:49 PM

This review is a Master Class in "damning with faint praise," even if unwittingly:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101December 8, 2023 12:58 PM

Likewise this review. "Impeccably staged" "old-fashioned"?? Bwahahaha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102December 8, 2023 1:10 PM

Those are good reviews.

by Anonymousreply 103December 8, 2023 8:00 PM

No, r103, they are subtly shady ones.

by Anonymousreply 104December 8, 2023 10:07 PM

No, they’re not, r103and r104.

They’re straitforward praise for Chalamet, and Wonka as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 105December 9, 2023 8:35 AM

Doesn't it have to make $75M+ in its opening weekend to have any chance of making its money back?

by Anonymousreply 106December 9, 2023 1:48 PM

The bad reviews are starting to trickle in on IMDB…

by Anonymousreply 107December 9, 2023 7:33 PM

[quote] Not a gracious bone to be found in his entire body.

But the good thing about him is that he reserves most of his ungraciousness for his own acting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108December 9, 2023 7:54 PM

He was late to the recording of the DVD commentary track for Love Actually and they started without him lol.

by Anonymousreply 109December 9, 2023 7:59 PM

I like him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110December 9, 2023 9:43 PM

I get Colin Farrell mixed up with the other Colin guy, who is also aging badly.

by Anonymousreply 111December 9, 2023 9:50 PM

Hugh was disappointed because Timmy is not as masculine as Divine Brown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112December 9, 2023 10:03 PM

Colin Farrell is crazy! He this very year won a Golden Globe and was nominated for the BA Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 113December 9, 2023 10:17 PM

Hugh Grant was the best part of the movie

by Anonymousreply 114October 19, 2024 12:14 AM

I like Hugh. You don’t have to wonder if you’re hearing the truth from him. Although it might be easy to miss the humor.

by Anonymousreply 115October 19, 2024 12:24 AM

It's the movies that got small

by Anonymousreply 116October 19, 2024 12:36 AM

Thanks r110, that was great

by Anonymousreply 117October 19, 2024 12:42 AM

[qoute]I thought he made a good Mr Waverly in Man from UNCLE but then I liked that film although no one else did.

I liked the film, R45, and I have never understood why it got so much hate. It was classy and entertaining. Cavill was great, Armie was great.

by Anonymousreply 118October 19, 2024 12:44 AM

He is going to be in the new Bridget Jones movie too (although it's not a huge part) so he must need the money.

by Anonymousreply 119October 19, 2024 12:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!