Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think I'm becoming an alcoholic

I am not Darlene.

But it's getting to a point where I can't even engage in activities that I enjoy without being sauced. This is a borderline nightly occurrence. I'm also starting to require larger quantities in order to just feel a slight buzz. I went through half a bottle of Jack Daniels with no chaser before I felt anything on Friday. My father was an alcoholic and alcoholism/addiction exists on both sides of my family. Should I seek help? I'm being very serious.

by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2023 11:57 AM

Yes, you are an alcoholic. Please go talk to your primary care provider. Do it today.

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2023 10:35 AM

The first reply in this thread really helped me look at my drinking in a new way OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2023 10:43 AM

[quote]I'm also starting to require larger quantities in order to just feel a slight buzz.

A bright red flag waving in front of your eyes. Listen to R1.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2023 11:04 AM

Sweetie, you know it's time to change! Bravo! My husband had to, too. It can be done!! You can do it. I quit drinking 20 years ago myself. I still like the weed but that's just me. It can be done!!

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2023 11:17 AM

Hi OP,

You might not have quite got to the point where you're physically dependent on alcohol, but the likelihood is that might be where you end up. It's good you've noticed some warning signs before full-on dependence sets in.

I'm only six months sober so won't pretend to be an expert, but there's always a reason we drink. Going to AA can work to help you understand your own reasons by listening to others - the stories are always the same. AA isn't for everyone, of course.

Some people do manage to cut down and restrict their drinking once they've acknowledged it was becoming a problem. For others abstinence is the only solution. With alcoholism, once we've crossed a lot of boundaries, they're crossed for good and there's no turning back from them. Turning up to family events with a drink in the system, drinking oneself to sleep etc. It can be hard to get out of those habits without some kind of help.

I'd maybe suggest you're showing 'alcoholic behaviours' rather than outright, full-blown alcoholism, but those lines are often blurred. I wish you well.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2023 11:22 AM

Get off this anonymous site and check with your medical care providers.

Why the fuck are you bothering us about your obvious issues?

Typical.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2023 11:58 AM

People joke, but I hope you never experience alcoholic neuropathy. I promise, you don't want it.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2023 12:15 PM

R6 there's loads of great support to be had here, it's helped me in the past

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2023 12:19 PM

If it helps at all, when I just last had covid this Fall, I stopped drinking altogether. It was boring but I told myself “it was for my health”. And it was a great reset. When i did start drinking again after about ten days, it was much more easy to moderate

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2023 12:22 PM

OP, I'm in the same boat as you.

I got hooked in high school, and then partied hard in college.

The only problem is that I never stopped.

I'm basically a functioning alcoholic.

And the fact that I suffer from depression and anxiety doesn't help at all.

I need a drink just to step out the door, because being out in the world really stresses me out.

I actually had to cut back because I developed bad rashes and gout from drinking too much. Not to mention that I just feel really shitty overall.

But I can't stop. Because alcohol relaxes me and relieves my anxiety. Especially since I hate "popping pills" like most people with depression and anxiety.

I don't know what you tell you. It's a lose-lose situation.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2023 12:45 PM

I've said this before, please research The Sinclair Method. It was fist suggested to me by someone on DL and it is saving my life.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2023 12:50 PM

You're playing games with death.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2023 12:51 PM

Crave ❤️

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2023 12:53 PM

Oh, and one of the biggest benefits is besides no hangovers, I am able to take a solid shit.

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2023 12:56 PM

Your primary care physician can manage withdrawal and prescribe medications that reduce cravings or make you sick if you drink alcohol. If you don't want to go to your doctor, you can go to a treatment center, which is recommended if you are taking in a lot of alcohol daily -- you could withdraw and have a seizure. In other words, it's very good that you recognize you have a problem, but your usage may be so high that just quitting could cause a medical emergency.

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2023 12:57 PM

R8 Support is not treatment. Physicians offer treatment. DL does not.

Why would anyone come here anonymously to discuss a problem they already know they have?

Writing about it on DL does nothing and possibly less than nothing if writing here is a substitute for seeking medical/psychological help from trained professionals.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2023 1:03 PM

This is from Johns Hopkins but the link I’m sharing has more specific information about how awful end-stage alcoholism can be. Echoing the comments above to encourage you to please seek professional medical help asap. Good luck.

As of 2023, the National Institutes of Health defines heavy alcohol use as:

For men, consuming 5 or more drinks on any day or 15 or more drinks per week For women, consuming 4 or more drinks on any day or 8 or more drinks per week In the United States, one standard drink has 14 grams of pure alcohol (ethanol). Some examples include 12 fluid ounces of regular beer, 5 fluid ounces of table wine, and 1 shot of distilled spirits (e.g., gin, whiskey, vodka).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2023 1:04 PM

Ask your HCP about Seroquel.

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2023 1:09 PM

[quote]I'm also starting to require larger quantities in order to just feel a slight buzz. I went through half a bottle of Jack Daniels with no chaser before I felt anything on Friday. My father was an alcoholic and alcoholism/addiction exists on both sides of my family. Should I seek help?

OMG. Is that a real question OP?

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2023 1:15 PM

Ignore R16, who has absolutely nothing of value to contribute. Ever.

OP, recognising you have a problem is the hardest part, and you’re already doing that. If you cannot enjoy alcohol in small, infrequent doses, then it’s not for you — and that is totally fine.

Apart from professional help, you could start with identifying your triggers. When do you want to drink? Why? How come you want to keep drinking?

I always try to be mindful that I am consuming poison when I drink a glass of wine, whiskey, etc. Drunk = poisoned liver. It helps reframing alcohol consumption and it makes it all a little less innocent. Alcohol is a drug, and it simply isn’t for everyone.

I wish you all the very best, we are here for you!!

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2023 1:22 PM

R20 I can testify to this. I have idiopathic cardiomyopathy which may or may not be a byproduct of my alcoholism. Had I continued to drink like I did, I would either be dead or impaired by a stroke. That fear is strong - and real.

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2023 1:32 PM

Congratulations on making the right choice, R21!

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2023 1:43 PM

Thank you for all of the kind words. I actually made this post while drinking (of course) and even then was concerned. I have an appointment with my PCP next week to discuss the matter in further detail.

by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2023 9:36 AM

R16 sometimes reflecting on someone else's experience, what helped them or even gaining a new perspective can be immensely helpful in managing an area of your life that's getting out of control but still within range of being reigned in.

I wasn't suggesting DL offered a fix-all or secret answer, but it can be helpful and reassuring nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2023 10:49 AM

Don’t forget, R23, to make out a Happy Sober Holidays cheque to your friend Dutchie

by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2023 11:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!