Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Good cat toys?

I'm spending Christmas with my friend and her family. They have a new cat, and I'd like to get it a toy or set to keep it amused. Not expensive, but not a piece of junk it'll destroy in a week.

I went on Amazon and am completely overwhelmed.

Cat owners—can you recommend something they enjoy?

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2023 2:25 AM

Is it a rescue cat?

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2023 1:22 AM

cats are fickle and have very different temperaments. many will take almost no interest in toys at all. they also tend to get bored with the same toy very quickly. if you're stuck on getting a toy, i recommend something that offers repeated stimulation without requiring the owner to participate. like toys that have balls that go around a track, puzzle feeders, etc. a gift card for a pet shop is probably better, they might want to get supplements, a regular supply of cat grass, or a new cat tower instead.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2023 1:26 AM

This one is endorsed by the cat volunteers at my shelter:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2023 1:38 AM

The one that spins a butterfly around is a great one.

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2023 1:50 AM

White ping pong balls. The rings around plastic gallon jugs. Plastic bags (cut air holes in them to prevent suffocation. Big boxes.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2023 2:00 AM

An empty box

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2023 2:04 AM

A mouse.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2023 2:07 AM

My cats always like soft catnip scented toys.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2023 2:08 AM

Little ball with little bell thing inside.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2023 2:10 AM

A sock rolled into a ball (my one cat carries it around the house meowing loudly). Loose shoestrings. Crinkly food wrapping. Q-tips.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2023 5:39 PM

Anything with catnip in it. I have two cats and I bought a cloth banana that had catnip in it. My cats won't stop playing with it.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2023 5:43 PM

Twist ties (found at the end of a loaf of bread) in an empty half-closed box.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2023 6:29 PM

The stick with the feather on the end. Even an old fat cat will do acrobatics when you start that.

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2023 7:24 PM

My boy goes absolutely nuts over these. And he doesn't discard them after a few days. They're handmade and adorable.

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2023 11:45 PM

And here's the link, duh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2023 11:47 PM

A fresh twink.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2023 11:47 PM

r3: I was hoping someone would post this. It really stimulates the prey drive and our cats go nutz over them. Until they get old. Then they turn into coma kitties.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2023 12:09 AM

Awww. Yes, it’s one of those unicorn toys: cheap, fun, cats love it.

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2023 12:51 AM

I don’t have cats or any experience owning cats but I have watched enough stupid cat videos over the years to confidently say that you should buy a gift for your friend online and make sure that cat is around when she opens it and then gift the empty box to the cat who will have lots of fun playing with it.

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2023 12:54 AM

My cat loves playing with popsicle sticks from my Trader Joe's Mango Creamsicle and used Q-Tips (she fishes them out of the bathroom trash can). Everything else is just "Meh..."

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2023 2:01 AM

Scotch tape on the paws

Aluminum foil placed on surfaces where they like to rest

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2023 2:16 AM

Cats enjoy wrestling with a preroll. They don’t digest much, but they do tear it apart.

They also enjoy the wired cork from a sparkling wine bottle. I think it’s the scent.

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2023 2:24 AM

I have one cat who loves to eat out of that maze-like dish that keeps them from eating too quickly. I throw a few treats in and he pushes it around for the next ten minutes. He hasn't gotten bored with it yet.

OP, you can't go wrong a soft crinkle toy and a container of catnip. You could also throw in a cardboard scratching thing.

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2023 2:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!