Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

American literacy crisis - iPad babies can't read and won't learn, teachers sounding the alarms

Link is to a reddit thread because I don't know another way to link or embed the video. The video in that thread has 5 different teachers speaking on the state of education for generation alpha students, who are underperforming at a shocking rate. "Per the National Assessment for Educational Progress (NAEP), there has been a significant decline in reading skills during the last three years due to the pandemic—only about 10-30% of all students in public schools can read at grade level proficiently."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 4, 2023 3:30 PM

Fuck off Mary!!

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2023 8:59 PM

R1 i think it's worrisome? should everyone be unconcerned?

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2023 9:00 PM

Aren't learning applications available for the iPad?.

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2023 9:14 PM

Sounds like more opportunity for those of willing to read and take advantage of others.

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2023 9:17 PM

When yiu read a book, you dont get interrupted by pop up ads or pop ups asking if you accept the terms that allow the website to sift your data and sell it.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2023 9:21 PM

It's rather annoying that there are NO credits, sources, date stamps, no identifying information whatsoever on that video.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2023 9:21 PM

Also, when you write with a pen or pencil on paper you don’t get spellcheck changing the word you just typed into something indecipherable.

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2023 9:23 PM

Well I take that back. There is the TikTok tag but I can't read the white font of the producer.

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2023 9:24 PM

reignzsupreme503 ????

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2023 9:27 PM

"Results for students who took the test in spring 2022—the first main National Assessment of Educational Progress administration for these grades since the pandemic began—show the biggest drop in math performance in 4th and 8th grades since the testing program began in 1990. In reading, 4th and 8th graders likewise are performing on par with students in the 1990s, and about a third of students in both grades can’t read at even the “basic” achievement level—the lowest level on the test."

"In their report on early childhood literacy last year, the Toronto District School Board, Canada’s largest, revealed 30 per cent of kids in grade one were not meeting reading expectations in June 2022 — a six point increase compared to the end of the 2013 school year. A recent province-wide report suggests these levels have dipped further in 2023.

Among kids in low-income households, this figure climbs to 40 per cent, the report found — a 13 point increase from the 27 per cent that missed their reading benchmarks in June 2013."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2023 9:34 PM

All the data is available and it’s not 10-30%.

Nationally 32% of fourth graders and 29% of eighth graders are proficient or advanced. There is variation across states, but none are anywhere near 10%, although I’m sure some schools are.

It does seem like scores have dropped, especially for 8th graders. But what does proficient mean?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2023 9:36 PM

[quote] But what does proficient mean?

Having or marked by an advanced degree of competence, as in an art, vocation, profession, or branch of learning.

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2023 9:39 PM

R11 keep in mind that schools fudging numbers and fraudulently passing students is the norm now, i think the reality is worse than the numbers can ever show

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2023 9:41 PM

You know I’m tempted to think it may have to do with technology but it also could be that generation alpha is like almost 50% you know what. You know what has decided not to value education. And dumb ass fake black leaders have made crusades for everything except this fact. But lets celebrate y’all. Derek Chauvin got stabbed in prison.

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2023 9:42 PM

I don’t give a fuck!

by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2023 9:44 PM

[quote] Having or marked by an advanced degree of competence, as in an art, vocation, profession, or branch of learning.

So 30% are advanced.

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2023 9:45 PM

Yet you're the stupidest reply on this thread, r14.

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2023 9:54 PM

R16 proficiency means meeting the standard. if the school says I am proficient in reading as an 8th grader, it means I read at an 8th grade level. I would assume it includes both advanced students and students who merely meet the minimum expectations, making 70% of students below grade level if only 30% are proficient. Another article from the NAEP page says : "Here are topline findings from the most recent LTT assessments when compared with results from 2020, some of which are unprecedented. Nine-year-olds showed the first-ever significant score drop in math. Nine-year-olds had the largest score decline in reading since 1990. Thirteen-year-olds posted the largest decline ever in math. The downward trend began in 2012. The average reading score for 13-year-olds was significantly lower in 2023 than in 2020, continuing a decline that began in 2012."

2012 is around the time that smartphones became ubiquitously adopted by consumers in all socioeconomic strata.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2023 10:03 PM

[quote]the first main National Assessment of Educational Progress administration for these grades since the pandemic began—show the biggest drop in math performance in 4th and 8th grades since the testing program began in 1990

So basically, mom and dad failed as parents. What happened to all the home schooling Fraus that said they give their kids a better education? Don't blame technology. Sounds like most parents were just liquored up slackers the whole pandemic, even though they were home and probably spend more time with their kids in their lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2023 10:10 PM

No no, it's like when you feed the dog table scraps and it won't eat it's dog food out of the bowl. It knows there is tastier food so it won't eat.

Why read a paper book when an iPad is so much more engaging? A lot of reading is boring anyway. The classics? Please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2023 10:19 PM

I feel smarter in a country (world) of committed dumbasses

by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2023 10:19 PM

This is a trend that began before the pandemic. The pandemic accelerated it. College students cannot read. They have a hard time thinking critically and analytically.

by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2023 10:24 PM

R19 from the thread "It starts at home. Our nephew is “homeschooled” and he’s 8. Can’t read, doesn’t know abc’s and can’t count past 15. He can tell you all about his Xbox and VR headset though."

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2023 10:51 PM

At my university the STEM students haven't declined in critical thinking and if anything they are more broadly informed and openminded than STEM students 15 years ago. Fewer STEM nerds and robotrons. And they surely are a generation that developed their minds largely in tandem with Internet connected technology. Apparently there are some slight deficits in math skills but nobody is alarmed. They also have better language and communication skills, from the past. In my observation.

The business students are another case entirely. Critical thinking, information literacy, writing skills, independent thinking, academic integrity have all declined from 15 years ago. The big improve however is multilingual competence. They speak multiple languages including fluent, impressive English at a French language university.

Just as global capitalism is increasing the wealth inequality, my hunch is that digital connected technology is separating the wheat from the chaff, cognitively. I think the STEM inclined young minds are still well-rounded and also still read books AND music and play music, still play chess and strategy games. They seem to self compensate from weak schooling and digital distractions.

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2023 11:02 PM

The grammar Nazis cock is tingling.

by Anonymousreply 25December 3, 2023 11:13 PM

Honestly were kids really that better in previous generations, when they openly hated homosexuals, slut sex shamed and the racism and all that?

Reading didn't insulate them from that.

by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2023 5:06 AM

Oh, books? They aren't necessary. We're taking care of that issue for you, dears.

by Anonymousreply 27December 4, 2023 10:44 AM

Parents squirt out brats and expect teachers to fix everything. Our folks taught us the numbers, letters, shapes and colors, just the basics, but all us kids knew how to read before first grade. These sluts just have kids for accessories.

by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2023 11:12 AM

Stupid parents beget stupid children 99% of the time.

Sad but so, and these are the people perpetuating the human race.

by Anonymousreply 29December 4, 2023 11:40 AM

This is going to be great when the literates can suck up all the good jobs and make money off the simps.

by Anonymousreply 30December 4, 2023 3:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!