Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Beyonce's "Renaissance" is a FLOP. Beat by Godzilla!

December kicked off with a scattered mix of wide releases, and it may have surprised some which movies did better than others. Read on for the weekend box office report.

The biggest high-profile release of the weekend was meant to be “Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé,” AMC Theaters Distribution’s follow-up to its global blockbuster “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour,” though it opened in over 1,000 fewer theaters than “Eras” did. “Renaissance” opened in 2,539 theaters on Friday, receiving 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, but from only 17 reviews.

After making $11.5 million on Friday, including $5 million in Thursday previews, the movie only brought in an estimated $21 million to lead the weekend, which must seem like a disappointment compared to Swift’s film. Even so, audiences loved it, giving it an “A+” on CinemaScore, same as “The Eras Tour,” although one presumes anyone who went to see either movie was already a fan. “Renaissance” made another $6.4 million overseas for a global opening of $27.4 million.

Lionsgate’s hit prequel “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” took second place with $14.5 million, down 50% from Thanksgiving weekend, but bringing its domestic total to $121.2 million, making it the first movie since “Five Nights at Freddy’s” in October to cross the $100 million mark.

Venerable Japanese studio Toho Entertainment took North American distribution into their own hands for the prequel “Godzilla Minus One,” which opened in 2,308 theaters Friday after receiving stellar reviews. After making $2.1 million in Wednesday and Thursday previews (rolled into its $4.7 million Friday), the monster movie ended up with an estimated $11 million, averaging $4,779 per location. Audiences enjoyed the movie enough to give it an “A” CinemaScore, the same rating as 2021’s “Godzilla vs. Kong.”

Next up was DreamWorks Animation’s “Trolls Band Together” in fourth with $7.6 million, down 57% from Thanksgiving weekend, to bring its domestic total to $74.8 million. Adding in the $85.8 million it has grossed overseas, it has taken in $160.6 million globally.

It narrowly edged out Disney’s “Wish,” which barely hung onto fifth place with $7.4 million, down 62% from last weekend. It’s almost unheard of for a Disney animated movie to drop out of the top five in its second weekend, so that’s a relief, although its $41.9 million grossed domestically in 10 days is nothing to write home about. (Marvel’s “The Marvels” was bumped right out of the top 10 in its fourth weekend, also something we rarely see, as it’s likely to be the very first Marvel Studios movie not to make $100 million domestically.)

Ridley Scott‘s historical epic “Napoleon” added another $7.1 million to its domestic take for sixth place, down a whopping 65% from its opening weekend, to bring its North American total to $45.7 million. It made another $28.6 million overseas this weekend to bring its global total to $91 million.

Angel Studios released the sci-fi thriller “The Shift” into 2,450 theaters – wider than both Beyoncé and Godzilla – but with terrible reviews, it ended up on the lower end of the top 10 in eighth place with an estimated $4.4 million. It received a not-so-great “B+” CinemaScore as well.

Hong Kong filmmaker John Woo‘s return to Hollywood with the holiday revenge thriller “Silent Night,” starring Joel Kinnaman, was met with indifference after receiving mixed reviews. It only made $3 million this weekend to end up in ninth place. Its “C” CinemaScore showed that audiences didn’t care for the movie any more than the critics.

Eli Roth‘s “Thanksgiving,” the other holiday genre film in theaters, closed out the top 10 with $2.6 million, down 63% with a total of $28.4 million, just after the filmmaker announced that a sequel is in development.

Nicolas Cage‘s “Dream Scenario” expanded nationwide into 1,578 theaters on Friday, where it grossed $1.7 million for a total of $3.5 million. Emerald Fennell‘s “Saltburn” remained in a similar number of theaters, but it held up well from Thanksgiving, dropping just 16% to $1.6 million, also outside the top 10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2023 4:29 AM

😂. Ho please. You tried. 21 mil opening for a musical concert in this day and age. lol. That is a success. Godzilla is a universal blockbuster. It will continue to make dough as we approach Christmas, and also do well on streaming.

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2023 6:56 PM

You forgot to sign your name, Teacunt/R1.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2023 6:57 PM

Beyonce's pussy stinks!

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2023 7:39 PM

R3 Ho please. When yo bony ass was nothing but a pop country Z100 singer getting trolled by Kanye at the VMAs, Queen Bey has every nigga in the industry trying to holler at her. Both white and black and Mexican and Japanese.

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2023 7:46 PM

This same sad OP who posts that every movie is a flop, please find a more productive use of your time Loser!

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2023 7:48 PM

[quote] Both white and black and Mexican and Japanese

White, black, Mexican, and japanese are four.

Both means two.

So your grammar stinks, too!

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2023 7:50 PM

Everything on DL has a negative comment attached. Everything.

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2023 7:51 PM

[QUOTE] This same sad OP who posts that every movie is a flop, please find a more productive use of your time Loser!

That can’t be. I’m the guy who usually posts about movies flopping. OP ripped off my style.

Except I never would’ve made this thread because this isn’t a flop. The movie is #1 at the box office. Godzilla is #3. The thread title makes absolutely no sense.

Also, this is a documentary about a concert. They just used some cameras to film footage about a friggin concert, and it made $27 million in the first weekend. It cost nothing to make. It’s literally all profit. There wasn’t even a studio involved—half the money is going directly into Beyonce’s pockets. A tour that grossed over half a billion dollars, and she found a way to wring tens of millions more out of it with a glorified music video. How many fans went to both the concert and the movie? It’s like they paid Beyonce twice for the same show.

In no way, shape or form could this ever be considered a flop. The OP must be some delusional Beyonce hater. Frankly I’m having trouble not hating her myself—she ought to be wearing a gun and holster after what she just pulled off.

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2023 8:19 PM

It’s kind of a flop compared to expectations.

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2023 8:29 PM

She is pure media hype. Taylor Swift has huge media hype too but at least she has the numbers to back it up.

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2023 8:37 PM

what? the article says it was the number one movie

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2023 9:04 PM

That picture is a perfect representation of her: overly-styled, vacant, anonymous...

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2023 9:07 PM

So tired of this smug, overrated lady.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2023 9:09 PM

It’s not a flop (except overseas).

It does show Taylor Swift is 5x as popular as Beyonce,

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2023 9:11 PM

[quote]How many fans went to both the concert and the movie?

I had near-front-row seats for her penultimate show which I had to hock a kidney to buy. TOTALLY WORTH IT. And zero chance I'd see it in a movie theater: I'm already cringing at saying it, but I'll cherish the memories of that show forever. Seeing it in inferior form – and even the biggest fucking IMAX on the planet won't suffice – simply won't do.

R13: jealous, bitch? (Rhetorical question.)

by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2023 9:11 PM

I’m sick of her ass and Taylor Swift’s ass

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2023 9:16 PM

R10 500+ mil grossing tour, one of the worlds best selling artists, and parkland adidas selling like hot cakes. That some hype. Chuckles.

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2023 9:30 PM

Racist elders gay stay coming for Bey. Who cares if Taylor swift is 5x more popular which is not even true. AA woman, 13% of a population, and world that’s been brainwash by white beauty standards. LMFAO. Even Queen Bey partakes cause she knows what these basic cunts thinks is hot. But the music is fucking phenomenal. Let’s see about a lasting legacy. Queen Bey has never cared about what basic white cunts and flyover interests.

by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2023 9:32 PM

R13 There is one thing about Beyonce and is definitely not smug. You can tell. I don’t even think she even would know how to behave that way. She is manicured within an inch of her life, yeah maybe annoying but SMUG? Do you know what that words means.

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2023 9:33 PM

R19, I think "smug" is the new "uppity," so make of R13 what you will.

by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2023 9:40 PM

Is she going to have another fake baby?

Fake baby for a FAKE BITCH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2023 9:41 PM

I hate her and am turned off by even the mention of her kaweeen adored name.

by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2023 9:45 PM

I want to to see "Godzilla Minus One" but I'll wait for streaming.

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2023 9:45 PM

This woman has the best vocal control and vibrato of any contemporary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2023 9:49 PM

It's a flop. $21m is not a success for a film that was hyped and marketed like crazy. This film was supposed to be the one-two punch (along with Eras) to save the Fall box office. They were initially predicting $60-&75m on opening weekend. Then when they saw tracking, it got downgraded to $30m, and it couldn't even come close to that.

When you factor in that it was on IMAX screens and the ticket prices were inflated, that means even fewer people went.

Sorry, but it's as floppy as her out of shape titties.

by Anonymousreply 25December 3, 2023 9:54 PM

Beyonce is fake, conceited, she has a fat ass, bad breath, and her pussy stinks.

I wish Godzilla would just stomp on her!

by Anonymousreply 26December 3, 2023 9:55 PM

Who on earth is interested in seeing Beyonce on the big screen? Should have just aired on MTV? Same with Taylor Swift but I think Disney is more her crowd.

by Anonymousreply 27December 3, 2023 9:56 PM

Looking at those numbers ... what a disastrous weekend at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 28December 3, 2023 9:58 PM

[quote] Looking at those numbers ... what a disastrous weekend at the box office.

Perhaps Hollywood should consider producing quality movies, rather than the Disney/Marvel formulaic trash that they currently put out.

by Anonymousreply 29December 3, 2023 10:01 PM

Beyonce is in her 40’s and starting to decline. It’s a decent opening for her but nowhere near the success of Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 30December 4, 2023 12:39 AM

“ They were initially predicting $60-&75m on opening weekend. Then when they saw tracking, it got downgraded to $30m, and it couldn't even come close to that.”

No way were they predicting that

by Anonymousreply 31December 4, 2023 12:41 AM

Uh huh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 4, 2023 12:56 AM

Love to see it.

by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2023 1:02 AM

Teacake forgets to sign her name so frequently. Oops.

by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2023 1:07 AM

"Queen Bey has every nigga in the industry trying to holler at her"

Do people in your home speak English? Were you trying to say something like "Beyonce has many fans. Corporate executives reach out to her."

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2023 1:09 AM

[quote] She is pure media hype.

Bitch, please! 27 years at the TOP of the industry?! A million Grammys?! A 56-date tour that grossed $590 million?! If you think she is "pure media hype" you apparently don't know what those words mean or you are a deluded hater, or both.

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2023 1:22 AM

[quote] Beyonce is in her 40’s and starting to decline.

By what measure? 2023 has been the most successful year of her illustrious career. Red state white girls (and old queens) were never her core audience.

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2023 1:25 AM

R24 Too bad Beyonce doesn't sing pretty songs anymore, prettily. She's certainly capable of doing so.

by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2023 1:28 AM

[quote] Racist elders gay stay coming for Bey.

They really do. I remember a thread on this forum about 20 years ago where some old queen was saying Bey's career was over. Bey feeds on hate...she says as much in the "Renaissance" movie.

by Anonymousreply 39December 4, 2023 1:30 AM

Teacake, do you speak the same way you write - as if you didn't finish 6th grade? I bet you are actually a fun person, but you write like an uneducated clown.

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2023 1:59 AM

Thank god, whiteface malappropriating ho worshiped by teafuck junkie cock addict slug slut poppers whore fuck

by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2023 2:01 AM

The truth is the public has been over her for years now. Her career is being propped up by endless PR from the media and her niche Beyhive cult but most don't listen to her or give a shit about her anymore.

SZA is by far the more popular black female artist right now especially among Gen Z.

by Anonymousreply 42December 4, 2023 2:06 AM

She always strikes me as a rather dumb tree, out in the wilderness but decorated with baubles for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2023 2:12 AM

That is a really terrible pic. So many reasons. A middling talent with a huge production and publicity machine behind her- ditto Taylor Swift although Swift strikes me as smart. Not much evidence that Beyoncé has much between the ears.

by Anonymousreply 44December 4, 2023 2:13 AM

Will the media ever hop off her clit as if she's the only black artist to exist?

I don't recall them doing this with any other black artist, comparing them to God and shit.

by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2023 2:18 AM

I’m actually neutral on Beyoncé but she never seems like she’s having any fun. Why so serious?

by Anonymousreply 46December 4, 2023 2:19 AM

[quote] The truth is the public has been over her for years now. Her career is being propped up by endless PR from the media and her niche Beyhive cult but most don't listen to her or give a shit about her anymore.

How ridiculous!

What the fuck is "endless PR from the media"?! That doesn't even make sense if you understand the relationship of PR to the media. If Beyonce's success is owed to "PR" then Madonna, Britney, Pink, Gaga and Adele would kill each other to work with Beyonce's "PR" firm. To suggest that she has been "over for years now" in the year that her global tour became the highest-grossing of any individual artist in the history of the universe completely undermines any presumption of rational thought on your part.

Bey has apparently engendered the polar opposite of a Beyhive -- a group whose need to demean and degrade her, her fans and her culture is all-consuming and untethered from reality. Her detractors are far more tedious and obnoxious than her cult simply because their motivations are foul and hateful. There is not an infinite number of ways to say you don't like Beyonce, she IS the Queen. It is time for haters to move on.

by Anonymousreply 47December 4, 2023 3:37 AM

She's still second to Taylor. She had a good run. Renaissance is probably her peak, but she still didn't win best album at the Grammy's. Goodbye, Beyonce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 4, 2023 3:55 AM

Beyonce is aging, as is her fanbase. The same will happen to Swift soon. Eras will probably be her pinnacle. (Although, Swift's music is more mainstream so her decline will be more gradual.) It happens to all artists and it is nothing to be ashamed of. Younger generations want artists from their time, not someone decades older. If Beyonce wants a second $$$ wind, she's going to have to go the route of 'Believe' or 'Ray of Light' - something pop with a killer hook. If she stays conceptual, she will become more niche.

by Anonymousreply 49December 4, 2023 4:21 AM

Is that her nipple on that side of her right breast?

by Anonymousreply 50December 4, 2023 4:24 AM

[quote]r7 Everything on DL has a negative comment attached. Everything.

Why must EVERYTHING be a CONTEST?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2023 4:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!