Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A New York Times MUST READ: "Blackout" - A Radical Queer Novel Challenges the Idea of History Itself

In Justin Torres’s lyrical new novel, “Blackouts,” .... erasure poetry and queer history collide to create one epic conversation between a pivotal 20th-century queer sexology text and two unreliable queer Puerto Rican narrators (or perhaps three, depending how you read the genre-bending conclusion).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2023 8:16 PM

behind the paywall version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2023 2:02 PM

"One epic conversation between a pivotal 20th-century queer sexology text and two unreliable queer Puerto Rican narrators."

That sentence alone is enough for me to say "hard pass."

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2023 2:02 PM

Does anyone know how to get vomit out of raw silk?

I forgot to change out of my morning caftan and into my smock before reading the DL this morning.

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2023 2:04 PM

So is history a theory?

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2023 2:05 PM

As hard a pass as the world's largest kidney stone.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2023 2:05 PM

Unreliable narrator(s), indeed.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2023 2:06 PM

Zzzzz!!!

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2023 2:07 PM

[quote]...depending how you read the genre-bending conclusion

"Gender-bending" = unreadable

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2023 2:28 PM

Genre-bending, stupido. Not gender.

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2023 2:44 PM

Sounds atrocious.

Sounds like someone's meth-fueled fever dream.

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2023 2:46 PM

It's queer, you know.

Queer queer, queer queer queer queer, queer queer.

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2023 2:48 PM

If a Puerto Rican ever tells you the story of how his Prince Albert made sparks on my fillings in a bar dark room, please remember that he’s an unreliable narrator.

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2023 2:50 PM

Ugh. I'd rather read MTG's pile of crap.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2023 3:20 PM

Sounds like a real Page Burner!

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2023 3:30 PM

The real danger of such things is that people read it thinking it's based on reality, even if the story is fictional, so get a very warped view of history and reality.

You know, like Ts started Stonewall and are the only reason gays have rights today.

by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2023 3:33 PM

Based on a true story. The "two unreliable queer Puerto Rican narrators" were two queer grad students at Brown, diversity admits, neither of whom have ever had sex with the same gender (if one can say gender is not a construct), and one of whom self-identifies as Puerto Rican despite being born to wealth in a Sephardic Jewish family long establish in Connecticut's Fairfield County.

The "pivotal 20th-century queer sexology text" is a grubby dog-eared copy of The Joy of Gay Sex, which the author, another grad student coming off five years as a queer curator, designer and influencer based in Bushwick Brooklyn, offered the queer (straight male) student as a hostessing gift.

All the names, locations and events have been changed and embellished. The genre-bending conclusion is the unreliable retelling of a dreadfully dull Williamsburg New Years Eve Party that the author drags the queer narrators to, at the One South First tower, and which is attended by beautiful and rich mostly gay and straight identifying finance bros who look right through the queers, until the tension, anger, envy and cognitive dissonance reach a boiling point, producing the horrifying Incident on the Rooftop Terrace.

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2023 4:38 PM

[quote]Based on a true story.

So, it was based on a story about two people who went to a party and got ignored with all other elements utterly embellished?

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2023 5:02 PM

R17 yes, Rose. That's the basis of all the best new Queer Magical Realism

by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2023 5:24 PM

Quick read. Well done. Meta

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2023 5:26 PM

They tried peddling this shit 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2023 5:34 PM

R16: “ until the tension, anger, envy and cognitive dissonance reach a boiling point, producing the horrifying Incident on the Rooftop Terrace.….”

…. when they revealed their hidden Intersectionality: Muslim. And they threw his faggot ass from the rooftop terrace to the ground below.

by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2023 6:05 PM

I believe the incident was sparked by a heated discussion of the hegemonic colonialist erasure inherent in battles over the cultural ownership of baklava.

by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2023 6:50 PM

I thought it was an excellent novel, well-deserving of its National Book Award.

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2023 7:11 PM

[quote][R17] yes, Rose. That's the basis of all the best new Queer Magical Realism

Apparently, for someone who throws around faux literary terms like "queer magical realism," r18 doesn't quite understand the irony of his comment or sarcasm.

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2023 8:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!