Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shopping At An A&P Supermarket in 1982

The store looks rather cramped. I wonder where this store was. I'm nostalgic for the A&P but not for those paper bags with no handles that you had to carry underneath.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2023 2:30 AM

Someone needs to bring back the Spanish bar cake.

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2023 1:52 PM

All the old people in that video are dead, now.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2023 1:55 PM

All supermarkets in NYC are cramped.

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2023 2:08 PM

Borax!

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2023 2:09 PM

Not necessarily, R3. There was an A&P (or whatever it was later called in NYC) in the basement of a building that was quite spacious.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2023 2:48 PM

I didn't realize A&P still existed at that time. I vaguely remember them from the 70s but most of them seemed to have shut down by the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2023 2:51 PM

That cashier is SLOW as fuck.

Move it along, Bernice!

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2023 2:53 PM

We had one in Osterville.

I remember the coffee smell and my grandmother making me ask Gene "Match Game" Rayburn for his autograph in the parking lot.

And the Tiger Beat magazine she would buy me.

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2023 3:24 PM

TWO cans of Aqua Net at a time?

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2023 3:54 PM

Obviously you’ve never had to stop a New York wind with your bangs, R9.

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2023 4:08 PM

My random observations.

1.) What a dreary bunch of shoppers.

2.) The introduction of Diet Coke on 8 July, 1982 seemed to have made no headway by October of that year.

3.) Packaging seems more minimal, with fewer instances of a plastic wrapped food packed in a cardboard container, and few instances of those one-piece moulded plastic containers with attached top/cover. The paper bags are a nice touch.

4.) Look at the jams and jellies section, or the yoghurt selection (or the offerings of cheese or ketchup and similar sauces) . They are miniscule compared to American supermarkets today.

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2023 4:26 PM

I didn't notice a single Red Weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2023 4:33 PM

I lived in the DC area in 1982. By then A&Ps were pretty much on their way out. But there were a few left that I remember shopping at (although the dominant chains were Giant and Safeway.) I can't say I remember ever seeing a coffee grinder in a checkout lane at ANY supermarket, though.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2023 4:35 PM

That big head baby in the purple jacket must be in his 40s now

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2023 4:56 PM

R6- Perhaps where you lived but A&P soldiered on in the NYC metropolitan area until 2015.

In the early 1990's they introduced a line of upscale frozen pizzas called Master Choice- Spinach, Four Cheese, Peperoni and one other. They were so tasty back then. They phased out those pizzas over 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2023 2:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!