Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

One a scale of 1-5, how worried are you that Trump will win a second term?

How are you dealing with the anxiety?

I don't mean to be a MARY!!! but this feels like the scariest moment in American political life since the Civil War. My anxiety went through the roof during Trump's first term. Now it feels so much more is at stake.

by Anonymousreply 58December 26, 2023 3:41 PM

*ON a scale (it's too early here -- apologies)

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2023 11:49 AM

Oh god, shut the fuck up. See if you can go a whole 48 hours without posting something about Trump.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2023 12:05 PM

Why bother commenting, r2?

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2023 12:20 PM

because I'm an a comment board you dumb fuck.

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2023 12:24 PM

I’ve said this several times now- there’s a “black swan” event that takes his nomination right off the table. Industry and business cannot have a president like this running or we’ll be swept up into an endless war.

It’s either of his own doing, or something planned closer to the nomination that “leaks”.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2023 12:25 PM

We'll be swept into endless war? You moron. He started ZERO wars while in office and actively fought the warhawk neo-cons and liberals. That's why they don't want him elected. He cost the masters of war trillions of dollars. Biden made sure the money faucet to the war pigs was turned back on.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2023 12:27 PM

It’s the gerrymandering. More states are using winner take all for their primary votes. State legislatures (Republican, natch) can overrule voting results (vs leaving the decision to the state courts). A federal appeals court just ruled that ”private plaintiffs” can’t contest unfavorable election results, only the US Justice Dept. The ruling immediately affects the seven states covered by the 8th Circuit: Arkansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota.

“Arkansas Attorney General Tim Griffin, a Republican, hailed Monday’s ruling as helping to curb “meritless” challenges to states’ decisions on how to draw legislative maps and conduct elections.”

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2023 12:30 PM

I’m worried about either one of them.

Trump is a BUFFOON

and

Biden is SENILE

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2023 12:55 PM

Welcome to the 1930s. A delusional, aggressive Left who wants to rename and reevaluate everything and Nazis on the other side. And theocrats waiting in the wings. The middle will be scared and turn right. Like in 1933.

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2023 1:17 PM

zzzzz r6

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2023 7:15 PM

[QUOTE]Industry and business cannot have a president like this running or we’ll be swept up into an endless war.

They don't give a shit about that. They only care about taxes.

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2023 7:41 PM

Does DL really have a contingent of Trumpers, or are they just trolls?

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2023 11:21 PM

It would be the same as the sun ☀️ falling out of the sky and plunging the world into eternal darkness

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2023 11:25 PM

No. It has a contingent of people who can truthfully look at politicians on both sides and logically analyze the truth.

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2023 2:27 AM

He is going to win the nomination. That is a de facto truth. He did not even have to debate or campaign and he had a further lead than any other candidate in history on his contenders. It will be up to the other Republicans to stand up for democracy or fall in line. If he wins, and that is a very real possibility, it will be the end of the Presidency as we know it. That is not doom saying. He has been very clear on what he will do if he wins.

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2023 2:42 AM

1. Will likely not be the nominee and will not win even if he is.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2023 2:46 AM

[quote] I don't mean to be a MARY!!! but this feels like the scariest moment in American political life since the Civil War.

Which you were around to witness.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2023 2:51 AM

[quote]We'll be swept into endless war? You moron. He started ZERO wars while in office and actively fought the warhawk neo-cons and liberals.

I'm not R5 but Dump has started a war amongst the American people R6. One of the outcomes of this was Jan 6th.

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2023 2:54 AM

I’m a cynical old fuck, yet in 2016 I never thought he would win because I did not believe there were that many imbeciles in this country. Turns out I was wrong, and we are a country of imbeciles. I’m honestly glad I’m old because I’ll croak before things go entirely off the rails. But I’m more than 20 years younger than Trump, so maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2023 2:54 AM

[quote]this feels like the scariest moment in American political life since the Civil War

The huge difference is that everyone in 1861-1865 was in agreement that the Civil War was a cataclysmic event. The first election of Trump was only seen as cataclysmic by some portion below half of the population. The rest were happy or ambivalent. If Trump is re-elected, the same is likely to be true, and there will again be vastly different views and reactions. Some part of the country will visit a therapist and the rest will carry on.

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2023 5:25 AM

A joke about OP's age. DL is nothing if not original!

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2023 11:44 AM

You are looking at this wrong if you think this is all about trump. This is part of a national and international movement that long predates trump and will long outlive him.

What has changed now is how much we risk not losing an election or 3 but democracy as we know it. Both sides, excluding the few in the middle, hate the other , they want to see the other dead, they see the other as a mortal enemy.

The right is more organized, more willing to do what ever it takes, and no matter if trump wins or not the next election will be more of the same. And you only have to lose once.

And watch how many Americans will not vote in 2024. Just won’t give a shit. Watch how many throw their vote away they just won’t give a shit. Watch how many will vote GOP because they hate the left .

This is going to last the rest of your lives and it’s not going to get better. ..Its not just about Trump.

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2023 12:00 PM

At least The Atlantic is taking this all seriously:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2023 12:06 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2023 12:06 PM

r22:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2023 11:56 PM

[quote] A joke about OP's age. DL is nothing if not original!

OP is a retard, which is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2023 1:09 AM

[quote] A joke about OP's age. DL is nothing if not original!

OP, why are you referring to yourself? Thank you got outing yourself as a troll.

by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2023 1:11 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2023 2:08 PM

I am not anxious, especially about things over which I have no control (I can get out next November and vote for Joe Biden, and that is about the limit of what I can do).

Just as I don't 'do' anger or outrage, I also don't do fear. There's no point.

If Trump gets in somehow, I'll simply face the consequences as best I can as they come.

Right wing trolls on the DL seem to consume liberal anxiety like it was some sort of nourishment, they like to try to stoke it. (WTF? It's like creatures from 'Star Trek: TOS,' which fed off terror ('Wolf in the Fold') or rage ('Day of the Dove'))

by Anonymousreply 29December 6, 2023 9:42 PM

Here's the problem I have with the idea that this is the end of democracy. Trump says a lot of BS. He said a lot of BS the first time around, too. But it takes people to carry those things out and the big boys that would do that are not really Trump fans. Why would they go along with his desire to be emperor?

by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2023 10:17 PM

They know Trump is on borrowed time, r30. They merely see him as means to an end.

by Anonymousreply 31December 6, 2023 10:20 PM

Well, I think we all know that, when Trump is elected, one of the first things he'll do is to come for DL. If that doesn't scare you, not much will.

by Anonymousreply 32December 6, 2023 10:25 PM

[quote]Why would they go along with his desire to be emperor?

Because somebody gets to be the Vice Emperor, and then the Second Vice Emperor, and the assistant to the Emperor, right on down the line.

by Anonymousreply 33December 6, 2023 10:30 PM

R25, fucking seriously? R22 wrote a very thoughtful and prescient post, and all you can do is trot out that tired fucking Debbie Downer joke?

Do you not realize what the stakes are here? Do you not fucking care?

by Anonymousreply 34December 6, 2023 10:36 PM

There are many countries through history that do not exist today. We can't assume the USA will rally back to the values our grandparents and parents fought for. I hate to think another war is the only vehicle to bring us all together again.

by Anonymousreply 35December 6, 2023 11:04 PM

MARY r32!!!

by Anonymousreply 36December 6, 2023 11:34 PM

Tuberville just folded on the military promotions stand off. The top ranking ones will still need to be voted on individually (which Congress has been doing).

by Anonymousreply 37December 7, 2023 1:28 AM

I am very nervous about Trump 2.0, but I also appreciate that, with the exception of the Covid 2020 election,, Republicans have fared poorly at the polls in every year since Trump won. And 2020 is especially instructive. Although his party fared better than expected, Trump was personally rejected that year. A year he was running for re-election with no primary challenger & no serious third party candidate in the race. In the previous 125 years, Trump’s fate had only been replicated by one previous incumbent president, the Depression-beset Herbert Hoover. So I think it’s somewhat safe to believe Trump will have serious issues winning again. Even more so, if, as seems likely, he’s a convicted felon by then.

by Anonymousreply 38December 7, 2023 1:42 AM

That's good news r7

by Anonymousreply 39December 7, 2023 10:01 AM

If Biden insists on running, trump will be elected. So many everyday people are so unhappy with him and they're pissed off about the god damned mess at the border

He's too old to run again.

by Anonymousreply 40December 7, 2023 10:14 AM

[quote]I’m worried about either one of them. Trump is a BUFFOON and Biden is SENILE

I'm a bit fascinated by this because they're both very old and exhibit signs of cognitive dementia. So I don't understand why you think that Trump has an advantage over Biden here. If I were a voter in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Georgia, Arizona I'd probably be looking at these two equally vaguely senile and far too old people and concluding that I'd rather the one who is on the side of ordinary people and workers.

by Anonymousreply 41December 7, 2023 10:35 AM

5 doesn't go high enough.

I think it's irrelevant whether Trump will "win" or not - regardless, he will cheat and suppress his way to the White House again.

I'm a huge Biden fan, and I think he's still sharp as a tack BUT every time I've heard him speak lately he sounds OLD. Not just old, but out of breath and almost whispery. And it isn't the stuttering issue. He didn't used to sound like this. And a lot of idiots will use it as an excuse to not vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 42December 7, 2023 12:47 PM

I refuse to believe women in this country will vote away their reproductive health care or people will give up their Social Security. Remember VOTING is 11 months away not today. We have not yet begone to fight. Do you really want 24/7 political ads NOW?

by Anonymousreply 43December 7, 2023 12:59 PM

There are 360 million people in this country. How is it we end up with these two to choose from?

by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2023 12:31 AM

I don't understand how he's still alive. His lifestyle is atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 45December 10, 2023 12:29 PM

I don’t think Trump will beat Biden but Haley could. Biden is very vulnerable though.

by Anonymousreply 46December 10, 2023 12:51 PM

Good genes, r45. I mean that somewhat sarcastically, but it's the truth. It's why some people eat McDs every day and have clean coronary arteries and others are health nuts and don't.

by Anonymousreply 47December 10, 2023 6:02 PM

Yup. Trump's father lived until 93, and his mother until 88. And his sister who just died got to 86.

So Trump may be around well into his 80's.

by Anonymousreply 48December 11, 2023 6:53 AM

And just look at the state of them R48!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 11, 2023 7:38 AM

But Trump’s father had dementia for 7 years before he died.

by Anonymousreply 50December 12, 2023 12:39 PM

Now that Biden's public approval rating is nearing 25%, the Democrats to do something fast. He was respectable when he was younger. Now he is a fragile china cup. If they are caught sleeping, we deserve what we get.

Other Democrats need to run for the presidency, NOW!

by Anonymousreply 51December 12, 2023 11:34 PM

It's 11 months to the next election and a lot can change, but it's true that Trump has gained momentum in the polls in recent months.

As Harry Enten pointed out on CNN earlier tonight, Trump appears to have actually gained support since his indictments and mugshot. As Enten calculated, prior to Trump's criminal indictments, Biden was leading by an average of +2. Now Trump is leading Biden by an average of +3. So that is a swing of 5 points in Trump's favor since the Georgia mugshot.

While that is a sad statement on the times we live in, that's where the numbers have been going lately. Anyway, we will see what the numbers bring in the New Year.

by Anonymousreply 52December 13, 2023 7:08 AM

[quote] So that is a swing of 5 points in Trump's favor since the Georgia mugshot.

Trump really flipped the script on that one. People wanted a mugshot for so long, thinking it was going to be the ultimate humiliation for him. Instead, it became a moneymaker for him and an emblem of defiance. It shows that things don’t always turn out the way you think they will.

by Anonymousreply 53December 13, 2023 2:57 PM

I think it will be much closer than the current polls show but it will be extremely close, way too early to tell. For some reason many people wrongly think that Trump can just return the entire economy back to 2019, he can't and he can't repeat the conditions that existed then. It is now and these are the conditions either man is going to have to deal with. As bad as Trump is the people that will surround him in a second term are really the ones to be scared of, Kash Patel, Flynn, Bannon, Miller will make the Nazis seem like amateurs.

by Anonymousreply 54December 13, 2023 3:26 PM

[R9]: The Nazis only won 1/3 of the vote in 1932. Hitler was later appointed Chancellor by elected President, the elderly Von Hindenburg.

Hitler took that and ran with it.

by Anonymousreply 55December 13, 2023 4:39 PM

Win or lose, I can barely deal with the mental stress of it all.

Yes, MARY! But 2016-2021 nearly killed me.

by Anonymousreply 56December 26, 2023 2:12 PM

[quote]I’ve said this several times now- there’s a “black swan” event that takes his nomination right off the table.....It’s either of his own doing, or something planned closer to the nomination that “leaks”.

But what sort of information could "leak" about Trump that could possibly be any worse than what we already know he has said and done? And all of that stuff combined hasn't turned off his supporters, all of whom are incredibly stupid and/or evil and/or mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 57December 26, 2023 2:34 PM

People need to stop with the black swans, it's not gonna happen. The only black swan event that might change the game would be either Trump or Biden dying before the election, that's about it. Outside of that, people are already settled on either candidate. The tankies will make lots and lots of noise about staying home because of Gaza, but they said the same thing back in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 58December 26, 2023 3:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!