Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I agreed to walk a disabled neighbour's dog... no good deed goes unpunished

There are a few units in my building that are subsidized by the city. For the most part those tenants are old ladies in wheelchairs or with walkers who gather out front to chain smoke and take note of the comings and goings and create drama amongst themselves.

One of wheelchair-bound tenants, however, (lets call him 'Calvin') is a man in his mid-40s. He is friendly and polite. Recently Calvin got a dog, a large black Rottweiler-Boxer mix. I overheard him expressing concern about walking the dog in winter when there is snow and ice on the ground. This is Canada. We get a lot. I grew up with a dog and while I would never get one myself (I have two cats that I love) I DO miss walking a dog so I told him that I would do it. He offered me money but I declined as I have a good job and wouldn't be comfortable taking money from someone on a government disability pension. We agreed to take the dog out together a few times so that I would get to know the dog.

The dog is fine. He's about two years old and Calvin got him from a shelter. He apparently lived with a homeless man before being taken/surrendered. He does get visibly nervous when we go near the places where the homeless tend gather. He is a big dog and the boxer in him means he will be rambunctious and puppy like for a few years yet. He needs training and Calvin has paid for a few sessions. The training works well when the dog is indoors but outside he may as well be deaf and blind. He jolts against his leash and on the few occasions when he was off-leash at the dog park he would tear after other dogs and people...so no off-leash time for the dog for now. Well it turns out that Calvin has anxiety disorder. The dog must wear a muzzle outside because Calvin worries that the dog will eat broken glass or random bits of fentanyl-laced cocaine left on the street. Wh3en the dog poops Calvin takes a photograph of the poop and examines it thoroughly to make sure that hasn't passed a discarded needle or switchblade. He is also concerned about the regular fire alarm testing in the building as the dog may get startled and hurl himself against the window, smashing the glass and plummeting six stories to his death. So far the dog hasn't reacted to the fire alarm but Calvin thinks it could still happen. Calvin also makes the dog wear a jacket with flashing led lights and reflective tape in case a car goes out of control after dark onto the sidewalk or plows into the dog park. He has also made a jacket and a hat with flashing led lights that he wants me to wear when we walk the dog. Calvin takes the dog for a two hour walk in the morning and another two hour in the evening. I've explained that since I work full-time the walks won't be this long with me.

Calvin is also very active in his church and has a theology degree from a private Christian University where students have a to sign a covenant agreeing to no sex outside of marriage and specifically no same-sex activity. I will assume that since Calvin has the tiny underdeveloped legs of toddler, the covenant likely wasn't an issue for him.

So our conversation is limited to things that worry Calvin about his dog and Jesus. We've since had a few dumps of snow and I went to take the dog out...and despite the weather. Calvin insists on coming with us, obviously struggling to maneuver his chair but insisting he's fine. So far I have never walked the dog without Calvin tagging along and frankly it's taxing. I feel like I have been manipulated into being someone's 'companion'

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2023 6:17 AM

3 options OP:

1. Move

2. Kill the dog

3. Kill Calvin

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2023 9:49 AM

Come out to him & say goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2023 10:03 AM

Stop being a doormat.

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2023 10:06 AM

I mean...you volunteered, so I can't agree with the manipulation part.

Just let him know that you REALLY need that time to clear your head. That you've got some shit that you need to think about. Hopefully, he can take a hint, but it doesn't sound like he can so you may have to be direct.

Also? THIS is why I don't volunteer to help people. I routinely donate money, clothes, etc. but FUCK walking someone's dog.

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2023 10:23 AM

[quote]3 options OP

Or all three.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2023 10:31 AM

Assuming this isn't a troll post, just tell Calvin that he seems fine to take the dog out by himself now but that if he can't go out himself, you'll walk the dog.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2023 10:45 AM

[quote]Stop being a doormat.

Yes, if Calvin won't accept it, "No" or "I can't do it any more" are complete sentences. You do not need to elaborate further.

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2023 10:56 AM

Everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end!

This. Never. Happened.

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2023 11:31 AM

Calvin appears to have some issues…

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2023 11:38 AM

R9 why this reads like an EST.

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2023 11:42 AM

What R1 said, and I'd add a #4 LEARN BREVITY. Good god, when you make up stupid stories, you want the reader to have interest, to go along with your lame scenario.

Try harder next time. We might play along.

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2023 11:43 AM

[quote] Calvin is also very active in his church and has a theology degree from a private Christian University where students have a to sign a covenant agreeing to no sex outside of marriage and specifically no same-sex activity.

This makes it more of an EST in Canada. We don’t really have these freak religious types unless they’re immigrants trying to scam the government by declaring their home a “church”.

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2023 11:54 AM

“My neighbor is a friendless cripple who suckered me into going on long walks with him and his stupid dog.”

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2023 12:04 PM

Too many minor details = not true.

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2023 12:12 PM

Ok,i interesting story. Got weird when you said Calvin checks his dog poop for switchblades. Pretty sure that’s not gonna make its way through a dog without either of you noticing it DYING before it was passed.

by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2023 12:12 PM

If he can maneuver his wheelchair in bad weather, then he can walk the dog, and there is no need for you to be there.

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2023 12:20 PM

Your neighborhood sounds pretty gross. Obviously what Calvin meant was that he wanted someone to accompany him on walks with the dog in case he needed help. It sounds like you were willing to help the dog but not Calvin since you felt the need to inform us he has primitive religious beliefs about gay sex, even though his legs are wet noodles.

Hey, fair enough, but if you won't move, tell the wheelchair that since you have discovered he is capable of walking the dog himself you need that time for other things. If there comes a time when he can't do it himself you will help out. If he makes you feel guilty just get in his face and snarl "listen ya gimp, you should have rescued a chihuahua instead of a large dog that needs an active owner, are you mentally defective too?"

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2023 12:25 PM

[quote] This makes it more of an EST in Canada. We don’t really have these freak religious types unless they’re immigrants trying to scam the government by declaring their home a “church”.

You ignorant slut

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2023 12:59 PM

[quote]random bits of fentanyl-laced cocaine left on the street

I won't care if I can be here on the street where you live.

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2023 1:28 PM

[quote]You ignorant slut

It’s infidel, thanks. And that school is extremely obscure and you would be hard pressed to find anyone IRL who has actually gone there.

by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2023 2:29 PM

Just tell him your work schedule has changed and you're not able to do it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2023 4:12 PM

r18 You searched so diligently, but you are an idiot. Bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2023 4:34 PM

0/10

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2023 4:42 PM

r22 It actually has a 5000 student enrollment and a few campuses and was the subject of a high profile Supreme Court case when provincial bar associations refused to grant credentials to their law graduates specifically because of their anti-gay stance. If you are Canadian and you've never heard of them, then you are the idiot.

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2023 4:44 PM

Hey, OP lives where the streets are paved with fentanyl-laced coke! I'm movin to Canada!

by Anonymousreply 25December 3, 2023 5:13 PM

Sounds like the kind of person who should have an indoor cat.

by Anonymousreply 26December 3, 2023 10:23 PM

You’re a sweet person op. Don’t listen to these jerks. Do tell your neighbor you’re busy.

by Anonymousreply 27December 3, 2023 10:42 PM

I think you can clarify that your offer to do it *only* applies to when he can't, and that you would prefer to do so solo, to clear your head and for needed alone time/mental health break as a poster upthread stated.

I think that's gentle enough to not hurt feelings and also set a clear boundary.

by Anonymousreply 28December 3, 2023 11:02 PM

r24 Oh my goodness, you are trying so hard. Bless you!

by Anonymousreply 29December 3, 2023 11:15 PM

Tell him that having given it a great deal of thought, and having experienced the implications first hand, you've decided that [bold]people in wheelchairs shouldn't get dogs.[/bold] Period.

by Anonymousreply 30December 3, 2023 11:33 PM

I'm sure basic knowledge appears like a great effort to you, r22.

by Anonymousreply 31December 3, 2023 11:54 PM

r31 Oh sweetheart, I hope things get better!

by Anonymousreply 32December 3, 2023 11:55 PM

Is your neighbour Madison Cawthorne?

by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2023 12:35 AM

[quote]If you are Canadian and you've never heard of them, then you are the idiot.

Are you Canadian?

No one cares about Christian bullshit here. That is minuscule for a college or “university”. If you think that a place like that would be well known here then you’re the idiot. Are you even Canadian?

by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2023 3:07 AM

They've been all over the news r34... you know, that stuff that non-idiots pay attention to.

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2023 6:11 AM

OP? What would Jesus do?

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2023 6:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!