Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Psoriasis - a bitch of an illness

I am going through a really bad psoriasis breakout at the moment. It makes me feel so ugly to have red spots all over my limbs and literally crusts of skin falling off my back and legs. Fuck this illness. And fuck my insurance for not putting me on those biologic drugs that more or less leave you clear. Shitty fucking autoimmune disease.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2023 3:51 AM

Gargle some Dupixent®.

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2023 12:25 AM

No. 10 sandpaper will buff that patch right out.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2023 12:27 AM

I have psoriasis OP. Not sure how bad yours is but dont the biologics have serious side effects?

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2023 12:29 AM

You type itchy.

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2023 12:48 AM

Buy a drugstore moisturizer containing salicylic such as CeraVe.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2023 12:51 AM

I used tacrolimus last summer and it was brilliant. For 3 months. Then it no longer worked. Your case sounds VERY severe and I think you need to fight your insurance company to get the treatment you need. Get a lawyer if necessary. Your doctor should be able to force the treatment. But what do I know I am in Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2023 12:55 AM

Cerave SA is helpful. I just bought another tub yesterday. It should be covered by insurance but it's not.

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2023 12:56 AM

OP, does your insurer require step therapy (i.e., trying and failing cheaper meds first)? Have you tried methotrexate or Otezla? If you have and the insurance company is still withholding biologic coverage, your doctor's office should be able to fight for approval on your behalf.

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2023 1:05 AM

I either had psoriasis or eczema. MSM-Glucosamine-Chondroitin is a supplement that got rid of it by taking 2 pills a day. It only took a week or two. No more itching, scabbing, scaling or inflammation. Fruit is known to cause flareups and I noticed that was true for me but since taking the pills I can eat fruit without problems. MSM alone worked some but the combination three-in-one pill is what got rid of it totally.

Before that I'd tired a bunch of different drugstore creams and nothing worked. I found out about the supplement from a self-published book I bought on Amazon written by a woman who had the condition.

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2023 1:22 AM

Years ago I had a young dermatologist try and prescribed methotrexate. I was hesitant and went to another dermatologist. He said if I went on methotrexate kiss my liver goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2023 2:12 AM

Reminds me I need to rewatch The Singing Detective.

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2023 2:20 AM

I've been on methotrexate (in addition to a biologic) for almost 10 years now and my liver is fine. Quarterly blood draws make it easy to identify problems early on and discontinue it if necessary. It's a decent, low-cost medication for a lot of people. Unfortunately, there have been occasional shortages within the last year.

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2023 2:35 AM

I took Neotigason (Acetretin) for about 8 years and while it improved my psoriasis, the side effects were horrible. Thinning of the nails, nose bleeds, dry skin around the ears, and dry eyes.

I stopped taking it last year and thankfully my psoriasis hasn’t come back as badly as before. The treatment was worse that the disease for me.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2023 3:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!