Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stomach queasiness - best remedy

DL, I have a stomach bug. I am sipping ginger ale and hoping my woes will soon end. What remedies do you recommend?

by Anonymousreply 26December 3, 2023 5:01 AM

Benedryl helps.

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2023 10:36 PM

Stomachectomy

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2023 10:38 PM

If only there were drugs sold over the counter everywhere in America that are made to help with upset stomachs...

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2023 10:38 PM

it depends on so many things. you might need to eat a lot of bland food and just take it easy. you might need to induce burping or vomiting. you might need an antacid. you might be full of gas or constipated and need a glycerin suppository plus something like gas-x (this is the best ooc remedy for constipation, don't bother with the other laxatives). if you think you might need to vomit then go for that. stay hydrated, eat very bland food like bread and crackers and plain veggies.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2023 10:40 PM

I think you just have to ride it out.

As others said here, eat foods that won't make it worse.

Water, 7Up/Sprite/Ginger Ale, Soup, Crackers, Bananas.

Get plenty of rest.

It usually subsides in about 5 days.

That's exactly what a doctor will tell you.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2023 10:43 PM

Peppermint.

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2023 10:44 PM

Yes, peppermint tea. Real ginger, as well. I don't know whether ginger ale contains that much real ginger.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2023 10:46 PM

coca cola, full sugar. flattened and room temperature.

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2023 10:54 PM

There's a reason Pepto-Bismol has been around since 1900.

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2023 10:55 PM

Or Immodium.

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2023 10:57 PM

Stomach cancer, when advanced to the point of being symptomatic, is consistently fatal.

Bye, Felicia.

by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2023 11:01 PM

Umeboshe plums

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2023 11:01 PM

Gatorade works for me

by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2023 11:04 PM

Avoid Imodium unless your ass is a diarrhea faucet. Imodium will end up blocking your for days and might make you feel worse

Also I just watched some video from a doctor who said not to drink ginger ale for an upset stomach. The sugar can make your symptoms worse and there’s little if any actual ginger in most brands. Drink ginger tea or shave some real ginger into sparkling water

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2023 11:06 PM

Sparkling drinks will bloat you. If you must drink it, match glass for glass with still water. Instead of eating "a lot of bland food," stop eating and drink water and tea. Lay diwn and sweat it out. Queasy stomach sucks.

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2023 11:13 PM

Miss vomit, ginger . Powder or fresh , heat water add Small amount, SIP... oh what a relief it is.

by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2023 11:22 PM

Charcoal tablets

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2023 11:24 PM

Peppermint tea is the worst thing to take if you have gallbladder problems

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2023 11:26 PM

Imodium is really just for a situation in which you need to do whatever it takes to stop the diarrhea r14. In those situations it's needed

Pepto Bismol is what you should normally grab to help an upset stomach

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2023 11:27 PM

GInger tea. And you should keep a small bottle of Pepto Bismol pills. They are good for everything stomach related.

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2023 11:27 PM

r11, naptime has arrived

by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2023 11:37 PM

Ginger is the only thing that really helps me. I usually mix a spoonful with hot tea because I don't find the taste of ground ginger on its own very appetizing.

by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2023 11:50 PM

As a person with stomach problems, peppermint is awful. It burns, it causes burping, acid reflux. Yuck. Ginger bothers my stomach, too.

What symptoms? Nausea? Vomiting? Abdominal pain? Heartburn/reflux? Cramping? Trapped gas? Diarrhea?

I’m just starting to get over one of my “fits” as I call them. My stomach is very dramatic and has fits. I have a zofran prescription, take Prilosec, Pepcid (works quickly) , Gas X. I rarely have diarrhea, so I don’t need Imodium.

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2023 12:07 AM

Just get some fresh ginger root and grate some. It tastes good with lime juice and some sugar.

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2023 12:24 AM

Way back when, I had to swallow a tablespoon of Paregoric for stomach aches, and for coughing. There was powdered opium in it. It tasted horrible. I guess it worked. Mom and Dad swore by it.

by Anonymousreply 25December 3, 2023 12:46 AM

Opium is good for diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 26December 3, 2023 5:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!