Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Meg Ryan: My son is not a Nepo Baby!!

Meg Ryan has snapped back at anybody who’s called her actor son, Jack Quaid, a “nepo baby.”

In an interview with Glamour, the 62-year-old “When Harry Met Sally” star said of working under the piercing public eye, “You don’t wish it [on anyone]. It’s too hard and it’s too weird.”

“Jack is really talented,” she added. “He’s more of a natural than I’ll ever be. That nepo stuff is so dismissive of his work ethic, his gifts and how sensitive he is to the idea of his privilege.”

Quaid, 31, was one of many celebrity children who were called out last year in a New York magazine story with the headline “She Has Her Mother’s Eyes. And Agent,” which explored the phenomenon of the spawn of famous people going into showbiz themselves.

Driving the point home, the actor was pictured on the glossy’s cover with his adult head superimposed on an infant’s body.

The son of Ryan (who directed and stars in the new rom-com “What Happens Later”) and Dennis Quaid has already enjoyed an extensive acting career, having starred on Amazon’s superhero series “The Boys” and in last year’s reboot of “Scream,” with small roles in “Oppenheimer” and many other projects.

Ryan told Glamour of her son Jack, “That nepo stuff is so dismissive of his work ethic, his gifts and how sensitive he is to the idea of his privilege.”

When Ryan first saw Jack onstage as a kid, she thought, “He’s good. He’s really good,” she told Glamour.

Ryan also said Quaid’s flair for performance was obvious from a young age.

“I remember seeing him in a middle school production of ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream.’ He was playing Bottom. I was newly divorced from his dad, and he was seated at the other side of the gym. I had my head in my hands and was like, ‘Oh, no. He’s good. He’s really good,’” she told Glamour.

“I leaned forward, and I see Dennis, and he’s also leaning forward with his head in his hands. I just knew.”

Ryan and Dennis Quaid (“The Right Stuff”) divorced in 2001.

Jack Quaid has starred in the Amazon series “The Boys” as well as the 2022 reboot of “Scream.”

Several months after the New York magazine story set social media ablaze, Jack Quaid addressed his unusual upbringing.

“I think in the beginning, I was like, ‘Oh, do people like me? Do they think that I’m just riding my parents’ coattails?’ and all this stuff,” he told Thrillist.

“Then lately, I’ve been making an effort to focus on that less and just really trying to embrace this.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2024 12:01 PM

he is pretty good in the boys but the writing in that show went to shit last season

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2023 10:22 PM

Sometimes truth sucks.

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2023 10:28 PM

His grandmother was so beautiful. How come he's so plain?

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2023 10:28 PM

Truth is he had a leg up. He had producers willing to give him a chance based on his lineage. That’s fact, Meg. He’s not so exceptionally talented that 1,000 other actors without a name couldn’t be as good or better.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2023 10:33 PM

The fact that his actress mommy has to defend him to the press, just proves that he's a nepo baby.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2023 10:33 PM

[quote] “I remember seeing him in a middle school production of ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream.’ He was playing Bottom.

I wouldn't mind seeing him play Bottom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2023 10:35 PM

[quote]My son is not a Nepo Baby!!

Listen to the lies coming out of that ruin of a face.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2023 11:36 PM

He's a nepo baby of a nepo baby.

by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2023 11:34 AM

There are some nepo babies I don't mind. He is one of them.

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2023 11:40 AM

>>He’s more of a natural than I’ll ever be.

That isn't saying much.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2024 2:24 AM

He’s a mediocre actor.

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2024 2:31 AM

FWIW, an actor friend of mine worked with Jack and couldn't say enough good things about him. Including: Genuinely nice guy, total team player, no pretentions.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2024 2:32 AM

Who is his grandparent?

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2024 2:38 AM

R13 - that's what I was wondering.

So - I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Not all children of famous parents do well. If you suck, you won't continue to work. Do they have a leg up and a LOT of connections? Yes - and I think that's the point.

It's not talent, it's the skipping the line that happens.

Liza Minelli would be called a nepo baby - but she was unique and had talent and charisma. Her sister? Not as much.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2024 2:42 AM

Too bad he didn't get his father's looks

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2024 2:52 AM

But he's lucky abominable plastic surgery isn't inheritable

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2024 3:51 AM

FRAUS worship an ACTRESS like Meg Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2024 3:52 AM

R17 - I don't think anyone worships Meg Ryan. Including her mother.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2024 3:56 AM

None of them are hon. They just got a nice jump to CAA and William Morris

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2024 3:58 AM

Any gay rumours on nepo baby?

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2024 4:02 AM

Stop bagging on Lorna R14. Tough childhood, not enough good opportunities, though she did get to do backgrounds on a couple of Blondie bangers (Dreaming and Atomic). Besides, she's showbiz royalty

That aside, Jack Quaid is quite fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2024 4:06 AM

I like Jack Quaid.

He and Alexa Joel must have a lot in common having the same gender parent be one of the most stunningly attractive people around, but end up looking like they do.

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2024 4:09 AM

Own it, honey. Don’t try to deny what is objectively true.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2024 4:11 AM

Touched a nerve, sounds like.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2024 4:18 AM

Her only argument is that she has been irrelevant in the industry for 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2024 5:00 AM

[quote]Stop bagging on Lorna [R14]. Tough childhood, not enough good opportunities, though she did get to do backgrounds on a couple of Blondie bangers (Dreaming and Atomic). [bold]Besides, she's showbiz royalty[/bold]

"Showbiz royalty" is the same thing as "nepo baby," hon.

Tomato, tomahto.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2024 5:05 AM

Isn’t he a rare double nepo??

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2024 6:06 AM

Ryan is talking out of her ass. As usual.

Being talents has absolutely nothing to do with whether you’re a nepo baby or not. (Neither for that matter does whether you’re a nice guy or easy to work with.)

It just means your connections got you roles.

I’m sure there are amazing actors out there waiting tables or driving taxis who are never going to get their big break. Why not? First of all, no connections. Second of all, they have to devote too much time and effort working to pay the bills.

Thats the real nepo baby advantage. Connections and wealth.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2024 6:21 AM

double nepos get both feets in the door

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2024 6:21 AM

^^^ being talented

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2024 6:21 AM

[quote]FWIW, an actor friend of mine worked with Jack and couldn't say enough good things about him. Including: Genuinely nice guy, total team player, no pretentions.

So? Everyone is supposed to be that way. Many people are that way. They don't even get in the door for auditions or get an agent. Jack did not drive all over L.A for auditions for many years. He got an invite from the director or producer, probably thru his agent that he just so happened to have. He probably did one or two auditions and got the role. Again, his extremely successful agent also put him up for other roles.

99.99999% of all actors in Los Angeles don't get even 1/100th of this. Half of them don't get agents. They drive all over for auditions for the absolute shit, shit, shittiest background parts. And they do that for years. And still never make it.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2024 6:51 AM

[quote]99.99999% of all actors in Los Angeles don't get even 1/100th of this. Half of them don't get agents. They drive all over for auditions for the absolute shit, shit, shittiest background parts. And they do that for years. And still never make it.

Yeah, and so what? 99.99999% of aspiring actors in Los Angeles have no talent. 99.99999% of "nepo babies" try and bomb out and never make it.

Connections usually get you through the door for any job, whether you're in Hollywood or an aspiring insurance salesman in Des Moines. If you don't have talent, you're not going to make it.

Nobody cast Jack Quaid because of his now-C-list parents. He has some talent. And he's not exactly challenging Timothee Chalamet for top-of-the-box-office parts. He was on a streaming TV series.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2024 7:10 AM

Jack Quaid’s life as an actor has been made easier by his parents- he’s grown up on film sets, understands the business, has access to advice on auditions and getting an agent and is financially comfortable so can afford to invest years as a jobbing actor.

That said, he didn’t get his part in The Boys based on his parentage. He got the role because he is a good actor.

I work in the public sector where real nepotism is rife. People given jobs directly by their parents or friends of family. That’s not what has happened with Quaid.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2024 7:31 AM

Yeah right R33. It's all about connections. Jack is a nepotism baby. And that is what happening with America- mediocrity is the standard. Look at Trump becoming president.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2024 7:40 AM

Oh, please.

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2024 7:42 AM

It's just coincidence

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2024 7:52 AM

Did he get Dad’s abs?

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2024 8:34 AM

Jack is a double nepo

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2024 9:22 AM

His first agent was at CA. Sure not repo at all

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2024 5:19 AM

CAA^

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2024 5:20 AM

Twin nepo babies almost ready for their close-ups, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2024 5:43 AM

Jack Quaid definitely qualifies as a nepo baby, but Meg Ryan gave just about the best answer she could. She applauded his talent and work ethic, and said he was aware of his privilege.

She was never going to say "If not for me, my son would be the most pathetic Sandwich Artist at Subway," although she probably heard the same from a drunk Tom Hanks about Chet on more than one occasion.

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2024 5:43 AM

Subway has stated publicly that they have rejected several applications from Chet Haze and asked him never to apply again.

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2024 5:54 AM

And we are supposed to think that her and her husband didn't tell this exact same story to producers and casting directors all over Hollywood. You don't think she mentioned it every chance she got what a brilliant naturally gifted actor her son was. Whether it's true or not doesn't change the fact that she had the year of powerful people and word gets around. And of course it would only be natural for a mother to brag about the gift she perceives her child to have so it's nothing wrong on her part but it's still an influence in advantage that he wouldn't have had otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2024 6:48 AM

It’s not the crime, it’s the coverup

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2024 9:17 AM

Hopefully he won't turn to her plastic surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2024 10:38 AM

[quote]And we are supposed to think that her and her husband didn't tell this exact same story to producers and casting directors all over Hollywood. You don't think she mentioned it every chance she got what a brilliant naturally gifted actor her son was. Whether it's true or not doesn't change the fact that she had the year of powerful people and word gets around. And of course it would only be natural for a mother to brag about the gift she perceives her child to have so it's nothing wrong on her part but it's still an influence in advantage that he wouldn't have had otherwise.

Jack Quaid had an advantage. He had family connections in the industry and financial support.

But he also has talent, which is why he was cast in The Boys.

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2024 11:53 AM

“My Son is not a nepo baby, I had him tested’

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2024 12:00 PM

The Post is a right wing rag.

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2024 12:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!