Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fallout - Amazon Prime's new big budget video game adaptation, trailer released today. Can it succeed like "The Last Of Us"?

The original Fallout games which came out in the late 90s had excellent storytelling, but the modern entries have left much to be desired. That being said, the setting and world itself has always been compelling in the games. The universe of Fallout is an alternate timeline of Earth's history. It's a retrofuturist world with a 1950s sci-fi aesthetic. i asked chat gpt to summarize the setting to make it easier.

'In the Fallout universe, an alternate history unfolds where the world diverged from ours after World War II, adopting a retrofuturistic aesthetic centered around atomic technology. The United States and China become embroiled in a resource war, escalating into a devastating conflict. The Great War of 2077 culminates in a nuclear apocalypse, transforming the world into a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Vault-Tec, a pre-war corporation, constructs underground vaults to shelter select citizens from the devastation.'

vault-tec is a company that built nuclear survival shelters all across the usa, but most of them are actually designed to be cruel social experiments with human guinea pigs. Most of the games have you leaving a vault to explore and interact with the outside post-apocalyptic world - with humans trying to rebuild society amongst mutants and monsters created by radiation. The games are highly acclaimed and Fallout is considered to be one of the greatest franchises in gaming history. fallout 1, 2, and new vegas are particularly known for good writing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 3, 2024 1:49 PM

How did I not know about this?! I love Fallout: the storylines, the aesthetics, everything. I’m so excited!!

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2023 10:58 PM

r1 i was pretty surprised to see kyle maclachlan, i hope he has a major role.

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2023 11:01 PM

r1 which ones in the series did you play?

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2023 11:41 PM

Just 3, 4, and New Vegas, R3, but I still go back to them and play again just to be in that world.

Which do you like best?

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2023 12:27 AM

[quote]The games are highly acclaimed and Fallout is considered to be one of the greatest franchises in gaming history. fallout 1, 2, and new vegas are particularly known for good writing.

True, which is why "Fallout" being on Amazon is so CONCERNING. Like most HBO shows, "The Last of Us" is astoundingly well-written and well-acted. Amazon Prime, in contrast, spent a completely and utterly BATSHIT amount of money on its craven play for nerd attention in the craptastic "Rings of Power," which at $700 million-plus for a SINGLE SEASON is hands-down the most expensive TV show ever made. "Citadel," a spy drama with zero excuse for an obscene budget given its C+ list cast, cost $50M PER EPISODE.

Amazon has conclusively prove that it *is*, in fact, possible to spend far too much and get next to zilch in return, and most of its original shows make even Marvel's worst look decent in contrast.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2023 12:38 AM

r5 they're bringing in the people who did westworld, but i've never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2023 3:04 AM

[quote][R5] they're bringing in the people who did westworld, but i've never seen it.

Not r5, but Westworld lasted only 4 seasons and the last two were not well-received, so that's not a ringing endorsement.

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2023 3:25 AM

This looks great! I had no knowledge of it before seeing this thread. Thanks OP - I'll be watching. I googled and it's being released on April 12, 2024 so still a while to go yet.

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2023 3:31 AM

r4 2 and new vegas for sure. 4 was pretty fun with mods but that game put too much effort into the half baked settlement system, the world as a whole feels dull and unfinished.

by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2023 3:30 PM

FO 2 and New Vegas were by far the best. I bought 4 because of them, but was a bit disappointed. Still a good game, but nearly as good as the others.

The show takes place in LA, but the Brotherhood of Steel is there and no NCR in sight? Hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2023 3:45 PM

Also, it's not Fallout without the Inkspots in the trailer.

Nat King Cole is fine, but the Inkspots make Fallout.

by Anonymousreply 11December 3, 2023 3:52 PM

I’ve only played 4 and 76; are 2 and New Vegas still worth playing now?

by Anonymousreply 12December 3, 2023 5:59 PM

r12 2 is really outdated as far as the ui and graphics but if you can get past that it's the best game in the series. it's a top down isometric crpg, like baldurs gate or wasteland rather than a first person action game. New Vegas is similar to 4 and 76 with gameplay but has much better writing/setting, since it was made by the original developers (Obsidian) rather than Bethesda who bought the license previously. It has aged fine, not spectacularly, I would recommend playing it with mods maybe looking for something like a vanilla plus modlist that you could just batch install with vortex or something

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2023 6:06 PM

Fallout 2 is not if you're seeking a modern gameplaying experience.

New Vegas still holds up fairly well, but is from 2010, so visuals and game mechanics will reflect PS3 limitations, but is still good. Obviously, if you're playing on PC, modern gaming computers should easily be able to handle it.

Fallout 3 is good (released before New Vegas), but not as good as New Vegas.

Many people have noted a big shift in the game that started with FO3, but became really apparent in FO4.

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2023 6:09 PM

todd howard, head of bethesda (the company that took ownership of fallout after fallout 2) speaking on the tv show. he's highly involved apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2023 1:20 AM

How long after the bombs dropped did people start leaving the vaults?

by Anonymousreply 16February 3, 2024 3:51 AM

R16 In the canon I think 25 years later is the earliest known depiction of vault dwellers coming back to the surface.

by Anonymousreply 17February 3, 2024 1:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!