Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The meaning of galoot

A galoot is a clumsy, foolish, or silly person. If your brother stumbles and drops an entire pizza on the kitchen floor, you'll be tempted to call him a galoot. Galoot is an informal word for a fool or a goofy guy.

Are you a galoot?

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2023 5:39 PM

[quote]Are you a galoot?

Very much so, yes. Came out of the box that way, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2023 2:33 PM

I'm a stunad.

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2023 2:46 PM

Galoot as charged.

Thankfully not a big one.

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2023 2:55 PM

It’s a fairly common term of abuse in Scotland.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2023 3:10 PM

[quote]Are you a galoot?

I'm a big lug.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2023 3:15 PM

1812, nautical, "raw recruit, green hand," apparently originally a sailor's contemptuous word for soldiers or marines, of unknown origin. "Dictionary of American Slang" proposes galut, Sierra Leone creole form of Spanish galeoto "galley slave." In general (non-nautical) use by 1866, "awkward or boorish man," but often a term of humorous contempt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2023 3:17 PM

I'm proudly a palooka.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2023 3:23 PM

I'm a yutz.

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2023 3:45 PM

For our British friends: what's the difference between a tosser and a wanker? (Might as well throw in "prat" and "plonker" while we're at it.)

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2023 3:46 PM

Tosser and wanker have the same meaning. Prat and plonker are terms for annoying or stupid people.

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2023 4:19 PM

No. I'm a schlimazel.

by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2023 4:55 PM

I prefer hobbledehoy.

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2023 5:17 PM

That ain't what we're sellin at Miss Mona's.

by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2023 5:19 PM

Goofus is a galoot.

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2023 5:25 PM

What a maroon.

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2023 5:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!