Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has there ever been a single Saturday Night Live episode that was good from start to finish?

The only one that comes close for me was the Betty White episode. Even into the last half hour, I laughed. But that didn’t feel like a real episode.

I cannot think of any other single episode that was good from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2023 4:44 AM

People seem to really hate the Chalamet episode. The Hamas joke in particular.

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2023 1:10 AM

No episode in the last 10-15 years can be funny start to finish given the cast of players they have (had).

I was super young when SNL debuted, but I remember the late 70s seasons that were laugh out loud funny. There was a resurgence of comedic quality in the late 80s when Phil Hartman and Mike Myers were in their prime. A couple seasons in the early 2010s were also very good, with Bill Hader, Andy Samberg, and Kristen Wiig.

The recent episode with Bad Bunny was better than most of late. I have to admit, I had a bit of a crush on him by the end of the show.

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2023 1:22 AM

Yes! Several. But they were all on Mad TV. ☹️

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2023 1:25 AM

Mad TV was only an hour. There is no need for SNL to be 90 minutes. Most everything after Weekend Update has sucked. (At least since the mid-1980s when I began watching it.)

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2023 1:55 AM

I remember a Christmas episode that included a Christmas carol called "Let's Kill Gary Gilmore For Christmas" sung by the entire cast. That was pretty damned funny.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2023 1:58 AM

No. Not even the early seasons so revered by elders is funny. There's a reason SNL has had zero impact outside the US.

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2023 2:10 AM

Back in the day, the episode when Steve Martin debuted "King Tut" also had the first-ever Blues Brothers sketch.

More recently, the first time John Mulaney hosted was as good as SNL gets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2023 2:16 AM

This show has consistently gone to my guts as a rabidly laugh-free performance regardless of who is involved.

If you have a show and Joan Cusack - Mrs. Deborah Addams - is on it and she is not funny, your writers are not doing their job.

If you have a show and Victoria Jackson is on it, period, nobody is doing their job including the garbage collectors.

Chiefly notable for the behind-the-scenes three-way shit-show where Bill Murray, Chevy Chase and John Belushi competed to see which one of them could be the more hateful douchebag (Chevy won).

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2023 4:38 AM

Even in the early years, there was usually a dud or two. It's just that when it worked, it was brilliantly funny, subversive, and often so terribly wrong (please, see "Word Association").

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2023 4:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!