Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Turkey Noodle soup or Turkey Rice soup? Making soup right now and trying to choose between rice or noodle

I've got turkey broth simmering in a huge pot right now with turkey bones, onions, carrots, celery, fresh herbs, pepper. It's got a few more hours to go before I'm going to add the noodles or rice, and I have both in my pantry.

I'm having a hard day and want votes on which ingredient to add. I have already made a very difficult decision today and I'm taxed with this very small one.

How does DL vote?

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2023 3:03 AM

The noodles or rice leave me cold, go with pastina, preferably acini de pepe.

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2023 11:54 PM

The correct answer is wild rice, but I'd prefer white rice over noodles.

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2023 12:02 AM

Good point, r2. Wild rice would have been optimal, but i'm not in a great frame of mind and didn't think of that when i was at the store earlier.

I tend to be more of a rice person over noodles myself.

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2023 12:05 AM

Turkey and prunes is simply marvelous.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2023 12:07 AM

Use vermicelli.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2023 12:09 AM

r5 - excellent suggestion. But don't have it in my pantry, so i'm trying to stay with the ingredients on hand.

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2023 12:10 AM

Rice. And plenty of thinly shaved garlic.

Shave some fresh ginger and squeeze juice of 1 lemon, and add to soup to brighten the flavor.

Be sure to save some for me!

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2023 12:15 AM

Okay, I’ll ask…

What’s wrong Op? Why are you having such a rough day? What’s going on with your wrong frame of mind?

It’s Friday! Maybe a cocktail will help?

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2023 12:17 AM

Rice, most certainly rice, noodles to heavy for turkey.

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2023 12:18 AM

Save the noodles for Turkey Tetrazzini.

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2023 12:29 AM

r8 - it's time to put my 14 year old pug down. I've known that for awhile, but i've been trying to let nature take its course. I've had him in diapers for awhile, but i was taking him for very short walks up until about 2 weeks ago.

However, he wasn't feeling well since right before Thanksgiving, and this week one of his eyes swelled up with an infection. It's better now after antibiotic drops.

But i took him out today to see if we could resume our short walks. But he can't walk with help anymore and keeps listing to the side, then face-planting. After 2 minutes of trying to get him to go a few steps, i picked him up and his little heart was beating so rapidly. And even when i touch his back with the lightest of touches, he flinches. I believe he's in pain, even though he doesn't whine.

He's been on the decline since August of last year (2022), but was still able to walk with assistance (a strap around his belly, and he would move his front legs and walk). But now that he can no longer walk with help, I just don't see how he has any quality of life at this point. He's barely existing.

I've had animals (all kinds, even farm animals) throughout my entire life, but i've never put down a pet before...it's always been nature took the decision out of my hands. But now, as much as i really don't want to and have cried many tears, i know it's time. and it's breaking my heart.

I fed him some turkey and mashed potatoes for lunch and dinner. I'm going to take him out in a stroller for a walk tomorrow. Then, i think it's time to take him to the vet for the final time.

But he'll get some goddamn homemade turkey soup before he goes.

by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2023 12:29 AM

I hear you OP. You gave him a life of love, exactly what every dog wants. You were each fortunate to have one another. Show your dear friend your love once more by giving him a comfortable off-ramp from this world. Take him to the Vet and free him from his physical pain. That too is love.

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2023 12:39 AM

I think the rice absorbs the turkey and other of the soup flavors and won’t get as slimy and mushy as noodles. It is also easier to eat with a spoon.

by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2023 12:45 AM

OP it was a criminal DL omission to leave turkey meatballs off the poll.

And a towel. Just the one towel though...

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2023 12:47 AM

Op, I’m so sorry. That’s a tough spot that I’ve unfortunately been in also. I hope you and your pug both find comfort.

I would bring you some wild rice if I had any.

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2023 12:56 AM

Thank you, r8/r15. I'd gladly appreciate and accept a cup of wild rice from you to add to this soup, if you were nearby.

And i'd share some of the soup with you too. There's going to be a lot. I'm going to need it over the next few weeks/months.

by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2023 1:00 AM

Rice. But I also make a version with small cubes of potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2023 1:08 AM

You have to use a sturdy potato though, like small cubes of Yukon Golds or Lauras. Russets and Kennebecs will disintegrate into potato muck in soup.

Wild rice would be best, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2023 1:11 AM

r17 - that's a consideration, and maybe fitting with the whole Thanksgiving vibe of this soup. i do have the Fullstar Vegetable chopper.

All i have is russets though, so maybe the cubes wouldn't really hold up.

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2023 1:13 AM

white beans

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2023 1:20 AM

What a coincidence OP I just made some turkey rice (and mushroom) soup today! Just finished cooking it 30 minutes ago. It’s pretty good but I don’t think I seasoned it correctly. Tastes kind of bland

by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2023 1:24 AM

Sorry about your dog OP. It’s so hard to go through. Big hug!

by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2023 1:25 AM

Just make turkey congee.

by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2023 1:28 AM

Never put noodles in soup. Keep them separate and combine right before eating. Sorry about the doggo

by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2023 1:29 AM

Oh, my Jesus, OP/R11, I'm so, so sorry for you and your baby.

I was checking out at Petsmart this afternoon, and the old Cajun lady behind me noticed the huge amount of cat food I was buying; she told me her 14 year old baby cat was just diagnosed with cancer. I told her I'd lost my Maine Coon to lymphoma in 2019, and I will never not miss that big boy. She said "Wow, my guy is a Maine Coon, also!"

It so hard to lose our beloved pets, and so hard to make the decision to let them go, isn't it? In some ways they're even closer than family, because they don't judge; they love you unreservedly when you have dragon breath, are late grabbing the leash for the evening walk, even when you're flat broke, wondering if you can pay rent, human/pet food, or the water bill.

Bless you and your sweet old puggie.

by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2023 1:34 AM

noodles

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2023 1:37 AM

Noodles

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2023 2:13 AM

I like to make the turkey soup, and then when I reheat some of it later on the stove, I boil some egg noodles in the soup. Otherwise you’ll make mush. This year’s turkey soup had no noodles or rice, and it was rich I tell ya….

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2023 2:20 AM

Good point, r28. i feel zero need to eat this now. So i can add rice/noodles/whatever when i'm ready to.

Because i'm nowhere ready to eat this turkey soup. i'm nowhere ready to put my boy to sleep either, but it's time. However, I can just make this broth and freeze it and do what i want with it later.

I also don't want *this* soup to be the taste of sorrow, so broth it is. I'll freeze it and use it in happier times, and add in other ingredients later. And think of him and how happy he was to have some broth. And how happy (and sad) i was to make it for him. Because that's the only reason i started making this damn soup in the first place. It was to give him a tasty mouthful of homemade food on his way out.

by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2023 2:46 AM

[quote] i'm nowhere ready to put my boy to sleep either, but it's time.

I am so sorry, OP. It's one of the most terrible things in the world. Based on your description, though, I do agree it's time and send you my condolences.

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2023 3:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!