Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Most virulent anti-US screeds nowadays can be found on US Expat forms

Some of the stuff posted on just one recent on-line thread I came across-

Why would anyone want to raise kids in a McMansion, cut off from the rest of the world, with no means for the kids to grow up independently? Here in the Netherlands kids grow up in small houses but they learn how to ride a bike at age 5, and then by age 8 they are free to visit their friends and go to sports or whatever else by themselves. In the US your kids will ALWAYS be dependent on you to drive them around which means they will socialize far less. It makes kids disappear deeper into their phones, become lonely and all other problems that come with that. I believe that any parent that wants to shelter their kids in a huge suburban house is only doing that for selfish reasons.

There's a significant difference in how space is used between USA and Europe. In USA spending time in public spaces (parks, ourdoors overall) is less popular, mainly due to the larger amount of homelessness, as homeless people tend to use nicer public spaces for their needs, making it less appealing. Meanwhile in Europe, with the lower homelessness rates, the public space is generally more kid friendly and accessible to eg. women. A big reason why having a private yard is part of the American dream is because the public space is so run down. Europeans get by with less private space because the public space is in better shape and more usable by everyone.

While my money goes further in Europe, that’s not the primary reason I live here. I don’t like spending a lot of time in cars and European cities are more pleasant and walkable. The weather in southern Spain is among the best in the world. (I am from the SF Bay Area and lived years in Southern California and Baja. The weather here is better.) I have children and worry about US drug culture for bourgeois kids at private schools. Here is more sheltered. America has declined a lot in recent decades. While a weekend in Cape Cod is nice for catching up with old friends, the lifestyle in Europe is better.

The quality of life outside the United States is far better and a high quality of life costs very little. I’m renting a one bedroom with a balcony in a new building in Buenos Aires in a affluent quiet part of the city, 25 minutes from down town for 400 USD. Fine wine and steaks every night, clean organic healthy food, very nice fancy gym 20 min walk away, eating out at nice restaurants a few times a week. I used to work in South Florida a lot for many years. The way I’m living now in Argentina had it been in Fort Lauderdale or Miami I’d need to make a minimum of 5-6k a month and need a credit card to live how I am now.

I've been disabled since childhood, and even with my dad's great insurance the medical bills were colossal. And once I graduated college I couldn't get insurance, COBRA was running out... and one of my essential prescriptions, just one, was TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH. I was skipping essential doctor's visits and putting myself at real risk of a real medical catastrophe... so I decided to move somewhere my money - a moderate-sized inheritance plus what I had saved modeling - could stretch a bit further.I was also totally disgusted by the USA's many human rights violations, NGL. I'm leery of any society that is cool with torture.

3 weeks after I retired I sold everything and moved abroad. The US is a disaster. The culture is toxic. The crime is dangerous and out of control. The police are violent, corrupt and lie. The people are unhinged and entitled. The government is dysfunctional and corrupt. The media is useless and paid off. The medical/insurance system is a scam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 6, 2023 9:19 PM

I don’t know who is stupider: the person who wrote the stupid thing above or OP for not providing a tl;dr.

In any event, fuck them both

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2023 7:06 PM

Op is shit 4 brains

by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2023 7:11 PM

Nothing they said is necessarily wrong, but every country has its advantages and disadvantages. Expats generally live in their own bubble and have only a surface level view of things, especially if they don't speak the language and are still in the honeymoon phase.

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2023 7:32 PM

Yes, it's great to live the cosmopolitan lifestyle when you have $$$.

My friend who moved to first Argentina and then Thailand wishes he could return to US now. But, alas, no work, only SS coming in, closing in on 80...and the little Thai girls don't seem as responsive as they once did. Or it could him.

by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2023 7:48 PM

R1, If u read my OP correctly, you'd see I didn't write that stuff. It was taken from various posts i found on a recent EX Pat thread i saw on-line. The contents of each paragraph was taken from different postings.

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2023 7:53 PM

[quote] My friend who moved to first Argentina and then Thailand wishes he could return to US now. But, alas, no work, only SS coming in, closing in on 80.

why does he want to return to US exactly? To get a job? At 80?

by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2023 7:55 PM

Dan's never been real clear. But he has a son here, a fine young man, and a few ex-wives...there should be someone to grift and live off...nostalgia, I'd guess. You don't ever have to succumb to the nostalgiac delusion is you live here and still have to get along. Things have always been on the edge of disaster, in the lap of (somebody's) luxury here Stateside.

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2023 8:09 PM

Why does it trouble you, OP? If that's their experience, that's their experience. Do you want everybody to rise up and start chanting USA! USA! USA! out of blind loyalty? What is your point?

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2023 8:13 PM

R8, I never said it bothered me; I was just making an observation. Geez.

by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2023 8:17 PM

Rather a lengthy observation.

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2023 8:41 PM

Most people raise their kids where they can find work. It's great if you have the education and skill and resources to move around to foreign countries to give your children that experience, but most people don't. And I still find it hilarious that so many Americans think that they can just pick up and immigrate to the foreign country of their choice, as if they were crossing a state line in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2023 8:56 PM

Another recent thread posted on the EX Pat forum linked @ OP-

WeWantOut] 26F 27F France -> Gay friendly country

My wife and I are over france for good. The situation for gay people has dramatically worsened in the last few years, any public signs of affection leads to harassment so we stopped. I’ve reached my tipping point after having the pleasure to experience my first hate crime last year. This paired with the security situation going down the drain and a terror attack in my city that left me traumatized I’d be happy to leave and never come back.

Job wise we are close to both working remote so that is settled. My wife would prefer to move to a warmer country, I don’t care where we go but be thrilled to live close to mountains as hiking is our passion.

I have eu citizenship, we are working on getting my wife EU citizenship. She currently holds a cameroonian passport which severely limits our possibilities. My wife speaks english and french (learning german) I speak english, french, german and spanish (learning Vietnamese)

We would prefer the EU for now to be close to our families but I’m also open for other suggestions.

Number one priority is moving somewhere safe and gay friendly. Anything else is secondary.

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2023 9:12 PM

[quote]My wife and I are over france for good. The situation for gay people has dramatically worsened in the last few years, any public signs of affection leads to harassment so we stopped.

I doubt the problem was from the actual French.

by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2023 9:14 PM

OP, you consider that lengthy post an anti-US screed?

by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2023 9:17 PM

R11. Where do you hear significant numbers if Americans claiming they can live abroad without difficulty? I’m my experience most Americans don’t entertain living abroad, much less assume it is an easy process.

by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2023 9:20 PM

Betcha she's a liberal.

They tend to be expats and are always talking shit about the US.

(You don't have to look any further than your fellow DLer.)

In fact, 'liberal white women' and 'liberal white gays' are the two groups who tend to be Europhiles and anti-America.

Plus, conservatives would never consider living in Europe (unless they were stationed there in the military/government) and are too patriotic to talk badly about the US.

In fact, they think there's no better place than the USA.

On the other hand, liberals think the polar opposite, especially the more extremist they are.

And Democrats wonder why they're considered un-American.

by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2023 2:02 AM

One thing the Internet has exposed is how anti-America liberals (i.e., Democrats) have become.

They're very open about it on social media, but it will come back to haunt them, as the country grows more nationalistic in the coming years.

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2023 2:28 AM

There's nothing anti-American in what OP quoted (until you get to the spittle-flecked possible magat in the last paragraph). They're nostalgic for a time, not too long ago, when American kids could roam around with their friends, when the government maintained parks and public amenities, and when ordinary Americans could afford a nice house (even in a city) and decent healthcare. It's not unpatriotic to wish for a life before Reaganism and its successors put everything out of reach—quite the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2023 2:38 AM

Moved to Spain two years ago. Never regretted it for one moment. Safe, clean, cheap, friendly, no guns, amazing culture, high speed rail, excellent public health service, all of Europe right there to visit, lovely mountains, beautiful clean beaches, real sense of community.

Please continue to enjoy the United States.

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2023 2:46 AM

[quote]They're nostalgic for a time, not too long ago, when American kids could roam around with their friends, when the government maintained parks and public amenities, and when ordinary Americans could afford a nice house (even in a city) and decent healthcare.

In other words: make America great again.

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2023 2:53 AM

Tell us how you really feel….

by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2023 3:03 AM

R16. Yeah. America-hating Americans living abroad are a HUGE component of the Democratic voting base. Thanks for your brilliance.

by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2023 3:14 AM

R17. Why will it haunt them? Are you planning a mass slaughter of America’s critics?

by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2023 3:15 AM

[quote]...clean organic healthy food...

For the billionth time, "clean" means nothing when it comes to food, and "organic' food has zero additional health benefits, nor is it pesticide free, nor better for the soil. It's just something that appeals to obsessed bougie white people who are convinced of its magical powers, in other words, DOPES.

by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2023 3:41 AM

This isn't just a US thing, expats from any country will shit on their country of origin the most. The grass is always greener etc.

Having said that, it is indeed tragic when countries/cities don't have a mature bicycle culture and the bicycle infrastructure that comes along with it.

by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2023 3:55 AM

Is there something wrong with being a liberal...pro-gay, pro-choice, pro-environment, pro-universal healthcare, anti-guns? What is so bad about being liberal and not wanting to live in a country being taken over by fascists, traitors, and hillbillies?

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2023 6:21 AM

US expats who remember the 1990s and early 2010s...

Does Poland feel like those times in the US for you in some ways? I feel like Poland hasn't been gutted by the tech industry and COVID as much as US cities ... very few vacant storefronts in major cities, stores don't have half of their products behind Plexiglas (though some pharmacies are entirely counter-service). Public transport is reasonably clean and efficient, without the population of angry mentally ill sleeping on trains in the US. Less paranoia as well ... airline security is more like 1990s in the US (no overworked guy screaming for everyone to take off their shoes quickly hurry it up!), and you don't hear "if you see something, say something" recordings every 5 minutes.

It feels like a higher-trust society, not a cauldron teetering on the brink of decay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 6, 2023 5:31 PM

[quote]Most virulent anti-US screeds

Really, OP, that collection of excerpts from different online posters represents the "most virulent anti-US screeds" you can find?

Congratulations, then, all must be swimmingly good in the US. The rest of the world, then, is just seeing in jealousy, just the way you want us to be.

I'm an expat who moved from the U.S. some years ago. I moved not to escape the U.S. but to move to a country that I wanted to live in and be part of. It's been a fantastic experience for be and if I had any regret it would be not having done it sooner.

I hardly know any fellow expats from the U.S., but do know expats from other parts of the world, nearly all of whom who have lived her for many years before me. The expats in online forums are typically recent transplants (and future expats, maybe). It's true, many recent expats settled in their new situation remain in a comparative stage, constantly pointing out the differences one place to the other. Some are very pleased with their new situation, others draw their comparisons on different lines and almost immediately regret the absence of U.S. things and U S. thinking - they hate and regret it all almost before they are off the plane.

You wouldn't have to scratch too deeply in any forum with U.S. expats to find the second group. It's smaller, but certainly not shy about complaining that they made the wrong decision.

In my experience, there are two types of U.S. expats: one is comprised of people eager to learn new geographies, people, customs, language, etc; the other those who want to escape the culture or politics of the U.S. or simply live the good life in a place where their U.S. dollars go much further than "back home " and the people seem quaint. The second group set themselves up for regrets and often find them. It's odd to.me how easily some people move to a place they have barely investigated beyond Instagram photos and lists if countries popular with expats.

The people who are genuinely happy in their new country seldom spend all of their days typing anti-U.S. screeds. They will offer their opinion if asked, but they don't spend a lot of time trying to persuade and provoke.

by Anonymousreply 28December 6, 2023 6:25 PM

Try the SNOOTY American ex-pats in Oaxaca de Juarez. Hoo-boy. A special breed of virtue-signalling White Saviors. Vile people.

by Anonymousreply 29December 6, 2023 6:30 PM

Just because the forum is ostensibly 𝑓𝑜𝑟 US Expats does not mean that the contributors 𝑎𝑟𝑒 US Expats. It would be an ideal place for hostile troll farms hating on the US to hang their hats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2023 7:18 PM

My SIL lives in Panama because she couldn’t afford to live near the beach in a warm climate in the US. That’s all she’s ever wanted to do was to wear a bikini and lie in the sun. She’s in her 70s now and that’s what she does. She’s always been an exhibitionist. If there are nude beaches near her I’m sure she’s lying there in the buff, imagining all the 80 year olds getting hard ons,

I could never do this because I hate salsa music. It’s literally torturous to me. They blast it everywhere in Panama. Had to leave Target last week because of it. The local target plays the worst music I have ever heard, and I lived through the worst days of Muzak.

Apparently Americans get a lot of discounts living in Panama, so it’s a lot cheaper to live there.

by Anonymousreply 31December 6, 2023 8:52 PM

Does OP live in Europe or Argentina?

by Anonymousreply 32December 6, 2023 9:05 PM

Personally i hate cyclists, road hogs.

by Anonymousreply 33December 6, 2023 9:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!