Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lana Del Rey covers "Unchained Melody" for the NBC Christmas at Graceland special

What do we think? I am so used to Bobby Hatfield's vocal acrobatics in the final chorus that it caught me off guard hearing a more stripped-down rendition of it like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 1, 2023 8:57 PM

i liked it but the bobby hatfeld performance is the kind of thing that should be etched into legends

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2023 1:53 AM

No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2023 2:02 AM

All new singers slur their words and barely open their mouths to enunciate. It's annoying.

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2023 2:23 AM

She's no Miss Gisele MacKenzie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2023 2:29 AM

Lana Del Rey is odd to me.

On the surface, her whole thing doesn't really appeal to me, yet I'm sort of intrigued - she's not a turn off, she doesn't annoy me, yet I've never really actually checked her out to any significant degree - listened deeply to her catalog.

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2023 2:55 AM

I'm a big fan of Lana. I prefer her singing her own material although there is something very Twin Peaks Roadhouse performance about this cover that kind of gets its hooks into me. I agree with [ R 5 ]. She is intriguing. Her catalog is well worth exploring deeper.

by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2023 3:38 AM

She did a great job.

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2023 4:54 AM

It was a pretty good show.

Everyone did fantastic.

What I wondered through it was how come Elvis and Priscilla didn’t have any more kids?

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2023 5:00 AM

She's starting to sound like Roy Orbison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2023 6:02 AM

Christmas at Graceland hits differently these days, as the drug-addled Presley family lie in repose nearby. Just doesn’t give me that warm holiday feeling.

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2023 8:18 AM

R8

Because Elvis was a weirdo who was turned off by Priscilla once she had LM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2023 8:34 AM

Lana Del Rey is oddly is an artist two those on the outside sounds exactly the same every song, but when you explore her catalog, every song seems nuanced and different. I think I know the lyrics to every song on Ultra Violence and Honeymoon. She has a lot of great songs. Ultraviolence and Swan Song being two of my favourites.

About Swan Song- "It's the antithesis of hopefulness. It's about trying to find beautiful in giving up."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2023 9:42 AM

And I love how she called out Harvey Weinstein in her song Cola years before anyone was talking about his behaviour publicly. I remember his people trying to force the lyrics "Harvey's in the Sky With Diamonds and he's making me crazy.." to "Ah, He's in the Sky..." which you see in the lyric translation on Youtube. But she is clearly saying HARVEY. I guess she is writing about her experience when she worked with him on the song for the movie Big Eyes. I see can see her first line of this song being something Harvey would say to Lana. And I guess Georgina Chapman did mind Harvey's ways.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2023 9:49 AM

^didn't mind...

by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2023 9:50 AM

Awful.

by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2023 4:27 PM

R10 Elvis was engaged to Ginger Alden before he died.

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2023 4:34 PM

That was quite sublime. Bobby's cover is playful, but this one is dark and sombre, like someone looking back at their life in old age, though it does become sweeter at the very end.

Just lovely.

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2023 5:03 PM

She also released this Country Roads cover today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2023 5:25 PM

The gays sure love Lana

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2023 5:36 PM

Some of her songs are almost hymns to the male form, I think that's why I personally connected with her so much from the very start; she truly worships the men in her life. All the daddy imagery is appealing as well, although she is explicitly troubled more by her mommy issues.

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2023 5:45 PM

She is so intriguing musically. Very limited range but damn can she convey emotion. Usually sadness, which is my catnip.

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2023 5:49 PM

That's very interesting R20, especially considering she doesn't really appeal to straight men. She's not really pretty enough for them to crush on and her music is too somber for them to get into. The only fans of her I know are gays and young women.

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2023 5:51 PM

A Klonopin Kristmas with Lana Del Zzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 23December 1, 2023 5:58 PM

Looks like Ozempic® arrived just in time to turn it around for a Lana Del Rey, who was zaftig verging on elephantine recently.

by Anonymousreply 24December 1, 2023 6:02 PM

All the non-musical segments were pretty awkward in this special.

by Anonymousreply 25December 1, 2023 6:48 PM

A rare case of the theme song from a movie becoming more popular and well-known than the movie it came from.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 1, 2023 8:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!