Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

House IN IReland

Any thoughts on this house? Money pit?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2023 10:32 AM

The house has been sold.

by Anonymousreply 1November 30, 2023 8:55 PM

What sort of capitalization would one need to buy that house?

by Anonymousreply 2November 30, 2023 8:59 PM

It sold for 450k.

This other I have visited. It's for €650 been on the market for 2 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 30, 2023 9:02 PM

The second house, at R3, is very elegant. The first one is an abandoned house that was a shell and was cobbled back to gather with bare bones. Not very pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 4November 30, 2023 9:08 PM

I would enjoy living in the second house but only if it was filled with people. Young people. With all that land it could have nice gardens and maybe some outbuildings so it might make a nice office for a design firm or a foundation. It's pretty isolated and rural.

by Anonymousreply 5November 30, 2023 9:14 PM

R4 Really? It looks like it has structural issues. Are you familiar with it?

by Anonymousreply 6November 30, 2023 9:15 PM

I like it, it has country charm, except for the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 7November 30, 2023 9:16 PM

No I don't know it but the form is elegant and it's fully built two stories with also an attic and basement. It can be elegant AND have engineering issues as an old house, correct? They are not mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 8November 30, 2023 9:19 PM

The second house is on the border with NI , 10 minutes from Derry and has a big catchment area for tourists. The possibility of operating it for 6-7 months of the year as an AirBnB was a thought. Lots of potential.

by Anonymousreply 9November 30, 2023 9:28 PM

I love both, but they are both money pits. You need to spend a fortune updating them and making sure the windows and roofs are up to order. Can you imagine the heating costs? I imagine in both, but especially the first from the looks of it, they close off half the house in winter. And the upkeep must be astronomical in cost.

Look for a simpler home.

by Anonymousreply 10November 30, 2023 9:35 PM

You can see plenty of water damage in the second home. But it is a proper little mansion.

by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2023 9:51 PM

I can smell the must and feel the cold drafts.

by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2023 9:53 PM

The photos of the first one look like they are from a 1985 real estate listing. Half-assed reno, half-assed marketing, hard pass.

The second one is very nice. Obviously needs work, but you wouldn’t be fixing the “renovations” the prior owners did. Would all the carpeting would fit in one dumpster? I’m guessing the floors look pretty good under them. The house hasn’t been abused. It is really a tourist area? Looks like the middle of nowhere on the map.

Wish they both had floorplans. Did I miss than?

Ultimately, they are both too big for anyone who isn’t quite wealthy or planning on running a B&B or other business out of then. Is either in an area where people make enough money to support homes and grounds like that?

I’d rather live in a clean, maintained one bedroom cottage than open my house to pay my guests. But I’m unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2023 10:25 PM

It's beautiful on the interiors. And it would look much nicer on the exterior if they'd put in some shutters on the windows. That would soften that rather austere frontage.

by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2023 12:57 AM

Spooky, OP! I've been to Castlebar (we have family in nearby Swinford). I haven't been there since I was a kid, but now I'm nostalgic for it.

by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2023 1:02 AM

I like the outside of the house at OP. The quality of the camera and photos are truly horrible. I don't see how the house is "cobbled together." From the exterior, it looks cohesive.

Looks like old people live there and haven't done anything to the house in decades.

I think the house has potential. High ceilings, but not much in the way of mouldings or built-ins, stuff to give it charm. The little kitchen stove alcove is charming, though.

Comparing it to the 2nd house is probably an unfair comparison.

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2023 3:21 AM

I also prefer the house posted at R3, and I'd take it as is wallpaper carpet and all, just, add some better furniture in parts

First house looks as if it needs as much work as the one in R3 and it isnt as nice.

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2023 8:00 AM

That 2nd house is lovely, but needs a lot of work (especially that kitchen). But that center window on the rear side is off-putting. The pediment above it makes it look like a doorway. A doorway to broken legs if one was to go through it. Too bad they didn't do that to all those windows or at some point actually turn it into a doorway and build a terrace on the rear of the house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2023 9:18 AM

OMG OP this is really uncanny! I went to Ireland and kissed The Blarney Stone and it was like old and stuff.

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2023 10:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!