Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fantasy dinner guest

Inspired by the thread on Isaac Stern...

You are invited to dinner.

The other guests are Nelson Rockefeller, Jacqueline Kennedy, Marc Chagall, Luchino Visconti, Gregory Peck, Lauren Bacall, Gore Vidal, Isaac Stern, Yoko Ono, Robert Downey Jr., Lauren Hutton and Sigourney Weaver.

You have a plus one.

Do you go? (see poll)

Who is you plus one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 25, 2023 4:10 PM

I hope that the person hosting the dinner has hidden all of their valuables under lock and key. Jackie On Assistance is known for her five finger finds.

Also, Gore is very likely to be found be fucked by one of the male dinner guests or at the very least, will be located in the kitchen banging himself with your pepper mill- especially if it is black.

by Anonymousreply 1November 29, 2023 8:16 AM

I'd go JUST to out-cunt Bacall and Ono (and to fall at the feet of Sigourney Weaver).

by Anonymousreply 2November 29, 2023 9:01 AM

My +1 - My father

by Anonymousreply 3November 29, 2023 9:05 AM

How young may I be?

by Anonymousreply 4November 29, 2023 9:40 AM

Would it be alright if Jesus stopped by for dessert?

by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2023 10:06 AM

I'd walk through fire for Gregory Peck, so naturally I'd go. My +1 would be Halston.

by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2023 10:15 AM

Most are rotting corpses. Gross.

At least pick all living characters.

by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2023 10:24 AM

Confused by the guest list. Nelson died in January 1979. Sigourney's Alien hadn't yet been released. Robert John Downey Jr. was 14. If it's a complete imaginary guest list, why not a better mix of people? If it's people who could all be invited at a certain time of their lives, huh?

I will accept and my plus one is Fidel Castro.

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2023 10:49 AM

my +1 is Edith Massey

by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2023 11:07 AM

Mrs. Porter

by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2023 11:45 AM

I voted no. I’ve made up lists like this, but never with so many guests. How does one even come close to talking with each person.

I’ve had dinners with 5 guests and that is about right. Big friends and family parties and cook outs, the more the merrier. But for conversation, you want your list short.

Op, from your list, my five guests would be: Chagall, Visconti, Peck, Becall, and Stern. Vidal would be a replacement if one canceled. I just think of what stories we’d all hear. A wonderful evening, from champagne to cognac.

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2023 12:23 PM

Estée Lauder

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2023 1:21 PM

Nelson Rockefeller, Jacqueline Kennedy, Marc Chagall, Luchino Visconti, Gregory Peck, Lauren Bacall, Gore Vidal were all people evidently known by Isaac Stern, according to the recent thread on him. I just thought to myself "that would be an interesting room full of people."

The others are people that I've met personally. Weaver was great - sharp, funny, beautiful - ditto RDJ, Hutton was a riot, Ono was very quiet (it was at a reception for her work).

1978 would be early for Weaver career-wise but she'd still be gorgeous and intelligent. And I doubt RDJ was the typical 14-year-old, although I was thinking of him when I met him (he was 20).

by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2023 4:26 PM

Teensy & Weensy

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2023 4:30 PM

I'll pass on dinner with all those people but I'd like a fantasy one on one dinner with Luke Kirby (Lenny Bruce on Mrs. Maisel) if we are voicing our fantasies.

by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2023 4:33 PM

Clearly, the only answer for your plus one should be Vivian Vance.

by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2023 4:39 PM

Dan Abrams obviously

by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2023 4:41 PM

What are they serving?

by Anonymousreply 18November 29, 2023 5:32 PM

I’d bring Tinky Winky or some other mute. That is a lot of people to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2023 6:59 PM

I'd go with Gaga as my date. She would be respectful of the other talent in the room and a great conversationalist.

by Anonymousreply 20November 29, 2023 7:51 PM

Granny Gums

by Anonymousreply 21November 29, 2023 8:07 PM

Bootsy Whiteclaw

by Anonymousreply 22November 29, 2023 8:08 PM

[quote]Who is you plus one?

A dented can of Del Monte Cling Peaches with half the label ripped off. To place between me and Jackie O.

by Anonymousreply 23November 29, 2023 8:09 PM

Catfish and canned peach halves in heavy syrup

by Anonymousreply 24November 29, 2023 8:12 PM

I might bring my hairdresser. Gots to impress!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2023 8:32 PM

That looks like the ugly hair Corpse wore on Solid Gold

by Anonymousreply 26November 29, 2023 8:43 PM

Gore and Jackie hated each other. He lost his position as the Kennedy’s #2 gay when he got into a physical altercation with their #1 gay , Lem Billings, when both were drunk at a White House party. The Kennedys made Gore leave and Jackie never spoke to him again.

Years later, Jackie and Gore ended up in the same elevator, alone, and according to Gore they turned their backs to each other and didn’t acknowledge each other’s presence.

Lee Radziwill told Truman Capote this story about Gore/Lem and the White House, embellishing it.

Truman recounted it in an interview in the 70s. Gore sued for libel and Lee refused to testify on Truman’s behalf, ending their friendship. In revenge, Truman went on the Stanley Siegel show drunk and recounted a bunch of gossip Lee told him about her boyfriends.

by Anonymousreply 27November 29, 2023 8:55 PM

I was home sick from school and saw Capote on that Stanley Siegel show.

by Anonymousreply 28November 29, 2023 8:56 PM

Jackie Trivia: her first choice for official White House couturier was Arnold Scaasi. She’d worn a red dress of his from Bergdorf’s that she liked.

He wasn’t willing to give her a discount or free clothes, though, so he was out of the running.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 29, 2023 9:18 PM

Im not sure that is accurate. I think Jackie wore a fair amount of Scaasi while in the WH.

by Anonymousreply 30November 29, 2023 9:22 PM

Lauren Hutton??? NO, just no.

by Anonymousreply 31November 29, 2023 9:24 PM

I know he’s nearly forgotten now, but Nelson Rockefeller was a fascinating individual. Discussing his art collections alone would easily fill the conversation of more than one dinner.

by Anonymousreply 32November 29, 2023 9:31 PM

R32, I agree. I am a staunch liberal, but the Rockefeller Family has/had several interesting and intellectual members, Nelson among them.

by Anonymousreply 33November 29, 2023 9:52 PM

Nelson Rockefeller

Jacqueline Kennedy

Marc Chagall

Luchino Visconti

Gregory Peck

Lauren Bacall

Gore Vidal

Isaac Stern

Yoko Ono

Robert Downey Jr.

Lauren Hutton

Sigourney Weaver

I cannot, offhand, think of a less pleasant, more snobbish and openly hostile group of people this side of the current-day Republican party (in comparison to which, in perfect fairness, they are all angels).

by Anonymousreply 34November 29, 2023 9:56 PM

What’s on the menu?

by Anonymousreply 35November 29, 2023 10:09 PM

Shrimp cocktail Bloody Mary

Cold cube of foie gras with sour cherry chutney/Avocado tartare as veggie option

Broiled oysters served in a sherry consommé

Single stuffed endive leaf salad (sprouts, walnuts, hazelnuts, beets, pineapple, watercress, blue cheese)

Filet mignon on a couch of whipped potatoes with baby carrots and zucchinis/Portobello mushroom as veggie option

Artichoke and ricotta mousse with an aspic shell

Grilled asparagus with poached duck egg

Cured salmon with vodka jelly

Champagne sorbet

Jamaican Goblet (ice cream, crushed meringue, powdered coffee beans and rum)

Fig stuffed with sheep brie

Coffee, brandy, candied chestnuts, chocolates, strawberries, mixed nuts, cognac, bourbon and port

Throw up

Pass out

by Anonymousreply 36November 29, 2023 10:11 PM

So at least four of the guests are not on speaking terms:

Gore vs. Jackie

And Bacall vs. Ono. Evidently they were both of the board of the Dakota and loathed one another.

by Anonymousreply 37November 29, 2023 10:14 PM

R31, why?

I met her several time sand thought she was hilarious. Also unconventionally beautiful in the best possible way.

by Anonymousreply 38November 29, 2023 10:15 PM

My pussy

by Anonymousreply 39November 29, 2023 10:31 PM

I go and try to bed Robert Downey Jr. through the entire evening.

My +1 is Shelley Winters.

by Anonymousreply 40November 29, 2023 10:39 PM

Shelley Winters my ass!

by Anonymousreply 41November 29, 2023 10:40 PM

R41, that gives Bacall one more person to hate.

by Anonymousreply 42November 29, 2023 10:41 PM

Mel Brooks would be my plus one. We will need a bit of levity with this group.

by Anonymousreply 43November 29, 2023 10:44 PM

I’m sleeping with Jerry O

by Anonymousreply 44November 29, 2023 10:45 PM

I will bring Imelda Marcos. She will offer to sing and buy the gay cater waiters to take home and work for her in Manila, like she did with Van Cliburn in the 70s.

She can fight Yoko for the microphone.

by Anonymousreply 45November 29, 2023 10:59 PM

Henry Kissinger, oh wait, oops.

by Anonymousreply 46November 30, 2023 3:38 AM

David Bowie, naturally.

by Anonymousreply 47November 30, 2023 3:48 AM

R47, me likey.

by Anonymousreply 48November 30, 2023 3:54 AM

Greg at R36, stop answering your own question.

by Anonymousreply 49November 30, 2023 4:42 AM

Karen Carpenter as my plus 1

by Anonymousreply 50November 30, 2023 6:29 AM

MAGA list with their dates:

Big dining table

Harlan Crow w/sugar son, Clarence Thomas

Mike Johnson w/adopted son, Michael James

Matt Schlapp w/ Carlton Huffman replacement

Rafael Cruz w/ Lauren Boebert

Miss Lindsey w/ Joe Biggs

Kellyanne Conway w/Sarah Huckabee Sanders

Herschel Walker w/Pam Bondi

Lachlan Murdoch w/Tucker Carlson

Peter Thiel w/Kid Rock

Caitlyn Jenner w/Stephen Miller

Kevin McCarthy w/Matt Gaetz

Greg Abbott w/Madison Cawthorn

by Anonymousreply 51November 30, 2023 12:28 PM

^Matt Schlapp w/replacement: Josh Hawley

by Anonymousreply 52November 30, 2023 12:42 PM

R49, I am not the author of R36, do us all a favor please and fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 53November 30, 2023 2:27 PM

I would bring Eldridge Cleaver.

by Anonymousreply 54November 30, 2023 2:38 PM

I would bring Sean Storm.

by Anonymousreply 55November 30, 2023 2:41 PM

I will only attend if the event is held at a Golden Corral Buffet and Jackie O is limited to one trip to the chocolate fountain.

by Anonymousreply 56November 30, 2023 2:45 PM

She'll probably get it all over her pink suit.

by Anonymousreply 57November 30, 2023 5:37 PM

Kellyanne

by Anonymousreply 58December 1, 2023 7:10 AM

I’d invite a 2019 Chrissy Metz and a 1981 Karen Carpenter just to see which one of them died first after seeing the other “eat”.

by Anonymousreply 59December 1, 2023 7:35 AM

Fred Kruger for a little Dream Master energy.

Although TBF Weaver could probably take him out.

by Anonymousreply 60December 2, 2023 4:24 AM

R40, so in case the dining room flips over and floods...

by Anonymousreply 61December 2, 2023 4:28 AM

R4 in this scenario you're 22-N-2-HOT-2-B-BELIEVED.

by Anonymousreply 62December 2, 2023 4:34 AM

How about a young Sandy Bernhard as +1.

by Anonymousreply 63December 2, 2023 4:43 AM

R63, I think you might win. She's underrated as an intellect, has her own weird beauty and would be divinely unimpressed by the rest of them (although I like to think she and weaver would hit it off).

by Anonymousreply 64December 2, 2023 4:57 AM

"Robert Downey Jr. was 14."

You say this like it's a bad thing, R8

by Anonymousreply 65December 2, 2023 4:59 AM

I go, and my plus one is Kevin Sessums. I will address Lauren Hutton, and read to her all the unhinged social media posts Kevin Sessums has written about her in the last few weeks. I will then ask her directly if she even knows who Kevin Sessums is.

by Anonymousreply 66December 2, 2023 5:04 AM

R66, I like the cut of your jib. Perhaps Kev can launch into a rendition of "Floozies", to the delight of the assembled polite society.

by Anonymousreply 67December 2, 2023 5:07 AM

Nelson Rockefeller: an interesting and largely forgotten figure in American politics and culture. Would be interesting to talk to him. As cited above, his knowledge of art was impressive.

Jacqueline Kennedy: I don't think too many people would pass up a chance to meet her, whatever you think of her.

Marc Chagall: an artist who went from overrated to underrated without too many people noticing.

Luchino Visconti: mixed feelings. Amazing films, a very cultured man, but evidently something of a sex pest. I dare say he'd be too interested in recruiting a young Robert Downey Jr. to speak to me either way.

Gregory Peck: I have never heard anything negative about Gregory Peck.

Lauren Bacall: I have never heard anything positive about Lauren Bacall. Don't care - love her.

Gore Vidal: mixed feelings. An interesting essayist and critic but also a supremely vicious person. Also, the one at the party most likely to attempt to make any outsider feel precisely like that.

Isaac Stern: no knowledge of what he was like, but assuming he brought his violin, I'm good.

Yoko Ono: think she gets a bum rap. Still not overly interested in speaking with her.

Robert Downey Jr.: assuming Visconti has not talked the lad into a compromising position in the guest bedroom, yes, I would very much like to meet the young Robert Downey Jr. Lightning in a bottle, he had it.

Lauren Hutton: An intriguing woman, an attractive look. I do hope she stays inflated until she gets home.

Sigourney Weaver: love her and would love to see what she and Bacall made of each other.

I think a young Sandra Bernhard and Halston would fit right in.

My plus one would be either Pauline Kael or John Gielgud.

by Anonymousreply 68December 2, 2023 5:22 AM

Chuck Grassley

by Anonymousreply 69December 8, 2023 5:51 AM

Maybe someone gossipy like Dominick Dunne or Truman Capote.

by Anonymousreply 70December 8, 2023 6:21 AM

I am going. But ONLY if there's a vegan option.

by Anonymousreply 71December 8, 2023 6:42 AM

[quote]Teensy & Weensy

r14 Why? But lol.

by Anonymousreply 72December 8, 2023 6:59 AM

Alan Rockman, preferably during his Die-Hard era.

Although I would be interested in knowing what he was like younger.

by Anonymousreply 73December 9, 2023 11:44 PM

RICKMAN

by Anonymousreply 74December 10, 2023 12:48 AM

Plus One? Nina Hagen.

by Anonymousreply 75December 10, 2023 1:02 AM

R75, I think we have a winner....

by Anonymousreply 76December 10, 2023 1:03 AM

I must admit that although the people mentioned in this thread are interesting, I don't think I'd feel comfortable meeting any of them .

by Anonymousreply 77December 18, 2023 5:16 AM

My plus one would be Donald Trump.

My hope would be that the other guests would stab him to death about 20 minutes into the meal.

by Anonymousreply 78December 24, 2023 4:19 AM

Only if Yoko performs for everyone after dinner.

by Anonymousreply 79December 24, 2023 4:21 AM

She will, R79.

She will.

by Anonymousreply 80December 24, 2023 4:28 AM

I'd like to take Jane Goodall and the architect Paul Rudolph.

I have so much respect for them both and would love to hear them talk about their lives.

by Anonymousreply 81December 24, 2023 4:31 AM

If it's a twofer, Dinah Washington and Bobby Short.

Dinah could say after Yoko stopped warbling: "That was very nice, Miss Ono....but..."

by Anonymousreply 82December 24, 2023 4:32 AM

I don't think I want to watch Yoko eat. So don't seat me near her. Lauren and I will smoke cigs and sip the deep brewed flava of High Point coffee. We'll try no to ignore everyone else, but you know how we get.

by Anonymousreply 83December 24, 2023 4:37 AM

Kid Rock.

Because the proximity of the filthy rich and cultured next to the just plain filthy guarantees something that approaches comedy!

--Milk & Cheese

by Anonymousreply 84December 24, 2023 4:45 AM

In the fourth grade we had to write on slip of paper who we’d most like to meet. I said Samuel Riddle.

by Anonymousreply 85December 24, 2023 6:03 AM

What would Jackie contribute to the dinner discussion? Tales of the assassination, perhaps? "And then I crawled right over the back of the Lincoln to fetch his brain matter, which had been shot right out of his skull!"

by Anonymousreply 86December 24, 2023 2:37 PM

R86, she could discuss her work with preservation, which involved restoring the White House and saving Grand Central Terminal and Carnegie Hall from demolition.

by Anonymousreply 87December 24, 2023 2:45 PM

Martin Gardner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 25, 2023 4:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!