Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Saltburn is officially a FLOP

Barely made $1000 per screen this weekend.

Good. It's a terrible film and Emerald Fennell is talent-free.

Barry Keoghan is a good actor but has a face like a slapped ass.

Jacob Elordi's talent eludes me.

But I did find Carey Mulligan fun. perhaps the solution to her is- the smaller the role the better.

by Anonymousreply 127December 22, 2023 11:12 PM

Oh do shut up OP, no one wants to hear your idiotic complaining.

by Anonymousreply 1November 28, 2023 8:23 AM

R1 = Barry Keoghan

by Anonymousreply 2November 28, 2023 9:35 AM

I can't with Fennell, so I'm glad she's fallen flat on her face. Having said that, no one who produces cinematic Marmite can be said to have flopped completely and irreversibly, and this movie apparently is as Marmitey as it gets. I'll still see it at some point because I'm intrigued by the gothicness of it all.

by Anonymousreply 3November 28, 2023 9:41 AM

You can't what, r3? Or is omitting words GOALS? A vibe? Are you here for it? By "it," of course I mean "writing like a retard."

by Anonymousreply 4November 28, 2023 9:47 AM

[quote] Oh do shut up OP, no one wants to hear your idiotic complaining.

You should look up the word complaining, dear. Something tells me you already are well familiar with idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 5November 28, 2023 4:01 PM

Will PaulMescalLover open his veins? He seems to be in love with Elordi too.

by Anonymousreply 6November 28, 2023 4:05 PM

That freak not only is annoying as fuck, she has the most pedestrian taste.

by Anonymousreply 7November 28, 2023 4:07 PM

*She, R6. Remember her exploding ovaries? Lovely image.

by Anonymousreply 8November 28, 2023 4:35 PM

Note that Focus's "The Holdovers" and Searchlight's "Next Goal Wins" also flopped. OP actually has a very good point that isn't being talked about much, but we are seeing the death of the "Specialty Box Office." Previously, the specialty houses would open their prestige releases at Venice, Telluride and Toronto, and then do a platform release from Columbus Day to New Year's. This technique was perfected by the Weinsteins at Miramax and later the Weinstein Company. Audiences showed up.

Two things happened in the past couple of years: first, Netflix disrupted the specialty market by cornering the market in "prestige independent"; this trained the audience for these films to stay home. And of course, COVID disrupted moviegoing habits.

Last year, the two highest profile in-house boutique specialty releases flopped badly, Tar (Focus) and Banshees of Inisherin (Searchlight). The Holdovers and Next Goal Wins are also Focus and Searchlight.

I expect within the next year or two, both brands will be shuttered; Universal proved with Oppenheimer that it can market a serious adult release to enormous success, so Focus can be disbanded and Universal can release "adult pictures" under their own studio banner (granted, they won't be the niche kinds of pictures Focus has made). Disney I expect will completely shutter Searchlight. They have absolutely no use for it, and they may even sell the library for some extra cash. I think Disney will even phase out 20th Century Studios except for legacy franchises like Avatar, Alien or Planet of the Apes. The last 20th Century release, The Creator starring John David Washington, was a massive flop and Iger was responsible in Disney shuttering its own general entertainment divisions, Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures, despite huge successes like The Sixth Sense and Signs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 28, 2023 4:40 PM

No one wants to sit in overpriced dirty movie theaters anymore. We have gigantic 4K tv screens and excellent sound at home.

by Anonymousreply 10November 28, 2023 4:45 PM

I think you make very good points throughout, R9, but I don't think you can include "Next Goal Wins" in that scenario (though there are plenty of others to choose from). NGW has sat on the shelf for a while and was only released theatrically due to contractual obligations. No money was put into P&A and the studio knew it had a dog on its hands.

But yes, the death of the indie has been coming for quite a while now. I have a friend who is about a decade younger than I am. He didn't really get into films until his 30s and he's been exploring everything from the 60s through the indie boom of the 1990s. He often asks me if I've seen a particular film and if it's worth his time, and when we discuss the 90s indie films, I remember what fun it was to go to the Angelika when I was in college and grad school and discover a new voice (or sometimes roll my eyes at the pretension). This morning, I just recommended "Clockwatchers" to him and I looked up to see what had happened to the filmmaker, Jill Sprecher. Not much, as it turns out, which is a shame.

by Anonymousreply 11November 28, 2023 4:48 PM

[quote] Will PaulMescalLover open his veins? He seems to be in love with Elordi too.

One can only dream. Imagine getting rid of 99.9% of all Mescal and Elordi threads in one fell swoop...or slice.

by Anonymousreply 12November 28, 2023 4:50 PM

This was the first thing I've seen Elordi in, and I don't get it. His facial features are too small for his face. He's a so-so actor. I thought the half-caste cousin was much better (and much more attractive). I'd be interested to see him in more.

by Anonymousreply 13November 28, 2023 4:52 PM

Emerald Fennell needs to can the art and concentrate on lingering close ups of male butt.

by Anonymousreply 14November 28, 2023 4:55 PM

I also hated the use of the 4:3 frame. There is no reason to use that aspect ratio today. None whatsoever. And any pretentious asshole who tells you otherwise doesn't know dick about shit.

by Anonymousreply 15November 28, 2023 4:56 PM

But with lovely shoes.

by Anonymousreply 16November 28, 2023 4:57 PM

The exception to the indie death spiral appears to be A24 and Neon. But these brands have cultivated brand awareness through taste, much like Miramax did in the 90s with movies like The Crying Game and Pulp Fiction that no studio would touch.

by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2023 5:02 PM

The problem with streaming coming in and being the checkwriter for indies has resulted in situations like this, with Saltburn being too quirky for theater audiences but not quirky enough for the A24 and Neon crowd.

Saltburn may be analogous to something like She-Devil, Susan Seidelman’s followup to her sleeper hit Desperately Seeking Susan, which didn’t click despite getting Meryl Streep to star.

by Anonymousreply 18November 28, 2023 10:10 PM

And the best snacks r10

by Anonymousreply 19November 28, 2023 11:04 PM

[quote] Saltburn may be analogous to something like She-Devil, Susan Seidelman’s followup to her sleeper hit Desperately Seeking Susan, which didn’t click despite getting Meryl Streep to star.

Not to be pedantic, R18, but Seidelman's follow up to Desperately Seeking Susan was Making Mr. Right, which was a flopola. It's a miracle she got Streep and Barr after that one.

by Anonymousreply 20November 29, 2023 3:07 AM

"The Holdovers" deserves better!

by Anonymousreply 21November 29, 2023 3:24 AM

Also for as much promotion and hype Priscilla received, it still wasn’t able to crack the $20 million mark last weekend despite being in theaters for over 30 days.

by Anonymousreply 22November 29, 2023 3:27 AM

Tied for the best film I've seen this year.

The other best film also starred Barry Koeghan, albeit fully clothed

by Anonymousreply 23November 29, 2023 3:27 AM

This is Barry Koeghan's only film this year.

by Anonymousreply 24November 29, 2023 3:36 AM

Actually thanks r20 that proves my point even better, because at least She Devil is remembered and held in affection for its campiness. Absolutely no one remembers Making Mr. Right, even I forgot it existed.

Saltburn is Emerald Fennell’s Making Mr. Right.

by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2023 12:06 PM

Jesus, EVERYTHING is a flop. Ain't nobody trying to sit in a movie theater for 21/2 hours surrounded by degenerates looking over their shoulders for random respiratory infections and disgruntled incels.

Nahh, I'm good...

by Anonymousreply 26November 29, 2023 12:14 PM

The Age of the A-List movie star is at its end.

by Anonymousreply 27November 29, 2023 12:44 PM

This must be the psychotic OP who posts that every newly-released movie is a “flop”. What a disgraceful hobby!

by Anonymousreply 28November 29, 2023 12:53 PM

I saw it on Sunday. I really really liked it and plan to see it again to see some of the things I missed.

It not being a hit isn’t a surprise. Most movies are struggling. This is a Rated-R move with gay undertones, very long male nude scene, shocking sexual moments, and no well known female leads. It is 100% a movie I’d feel more comfortable watching from the privacy of my home than in a theater.

But i still plan to see it again. I now try to support films I like because it’s so rough out there for theatrical releases.

by Anonymousreply 29November 29, 2023 1:50 PM

I'm actually surprised it was given a wide release given mixed reviews at Venice (or Telluride, don't remember where it premiered). This is Amazon releasing under the MGM legacy name, so it was essentially always going to be done with Prime in mind.

This is the type of movie I would have seen if it was not going to be on Prime I'm assuming in thirty days.

Bing says:

According to a Deadline article, Amazon hasn’t distributed a movie for quite some time adhering to a theatrical window; most of their titles over the last two years have debuted on Prime and in select cinemas on the same weekend with grosses going unreported to the press 1. However, Amazon-MGM merger has brought changes to the company’s approach to theatrical releases. Amazon Studios and Prime Video (now with 100 percent more MGM!) will continue to support theatrical releases, but there will not be a universal approach to deciding where a movie goes and when.

So it seems releasing this with a theatrical window is a mistake on Amazon's part in their attempt at legitimizing themself with their purchase of MGM.

by Anonymousreply 30November 29, 2023 4:55 PM

[quote] This must be the psychotic OP who posts that every newly-released movie is a “flop”. What a disgraceful hobby!

No dear, it isn't. But I know another disgraceful hobby...

Thanks for Gladys Kravitz-ing every thread that doesn't meet your approval.

by Anonymousreply 31November 29, 2023 5:36 PM

R30 not really a mistake. They attempted to make a small profit but it’s going to be rushed to streaming. Streaming isn’t really about profits from single movies so it’s just another notch in Amazon’s belt as they attempt to make Amazon Prime Streaming a relevant player against Max, Netflix, Disney, Hulu, and Paramount

by Anonymousreply 32November 29, 2023 5:37 PM

You just know OP has bottom scowl on her face at any given moment. She a lil’ sourpuss!

by Anonymousreply 33November 29, 2023 5:43 PM

You know 20 years ago, the DL would have had top quality screencaps of said male nudité

by Anonymousreply 34November 29, 2023 5:48 PM

Amazon has done much better conquering the television arena than film. They have wildly overpaid for acquisitions at Sundance that have flopped. Those were pre-Covid titles that did adhere to more of a theatrical window (Brittany Runs a Marathon, Late Night, etc). And I do think that their strategy the past few years has been influenced by the Covid issue and knowing people weren't quite ready to go back to theaters, so they were testing the waters with stuff like My Policeman, which only had a two week window before hitting Prime. I just don't think they have anyone over there yet who knows how to handle theatrical releases, and buying MGM in its current state certainly wasn't a step in the right direction. That "studio" has been floundering for more than a decade.

by Anonymousreply 35November 29, 2023 6:00 PM

[QUOTE] You know 20 years ago, the DL would have had top quality screencaps of said male nudité

Is that the only way you’ll ever get to see them?

by Anonymousreply 36November 29, 2023 6:33 PM

It was a really good film. Most Americans are morons and want to see dumb shit like Barbie.

by Anonymousreply 37November 29, 2023 6:48 PM

r10 if you get a VR headset, there's an app called BigScreen where you can go into a virtual movie theater and watch films on the big screen. They even have retro theaters, modern theaters, drive in, sci fi theaters, grand theaters. You can even have friends join you and you can all watch together and you would swear you were in a real theater. It's trippy but I have seen one film in an actual theater since Covid. I much prefer to just watch at home now.

by Anonymousreply 38November 29, 2023 7:04 PM

[quote] It was a really good film. Most Americans are morons and want to see dumb shit like Barbie.

Ummm, nope. I hated them both.

by Anonymousreply 39November 29, 2023 8:10 PM

Does the “I hate Barbie” Loon need to re-appear in every thread that is about a movie? You need serious help, whoever you are.

by Anonymousreply 40November 29, 2023 8:25 PM

Yo this thread is almost all one person. WOW.

by Anonymousreply 41November 29, 2023 8:31 PM

R24, you got me. I saw The Banshees of Inisherin earlier in '23, didn't realize the release date had been October '22

by Anonymousreply 42November 29, 2023 8:35 PM

It's by a mile the best film of the year. I adored it. The mental illness of people who track how well films do to vaildate themselves is endlessly interesting to me.

by Anonymousreply 43November 29, 2023 8:46 PM

I can’t believe OP is using about 2/3 sock accounts to have this discussion with himself. This is next level fucking insane. WOW. I’m not even joking. I just checked.

by Anonymousreply 44November 29, 2023 8:48 PM

[quote] I can’t believe OP is using about 2/3 sock accounts to have this discussion with himself. This is next level fucking insane. WOW. I’m not even joking. I just checked.

I'm sorry you're so injured that people didn't like your favorite film that you have to make shit up. But I guess bad taste equals idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 45November 29, 2023 8:58 PM

And you have horrendous taste, R44- Shawn Mendes, Timmy Chalamet, Billy Porter.... You are a fucking MESS.

by Anonymousreply 46November 29, 2023 9:01 PM

R46 this thread was dead. I saw it when you posted for hours no one posted anything. You bumped it and then suddenly everyone is on it. And not only are they on it but they’re all saying bullshit. That doesn’t make any sense. If you know anything about Indy films, you would not be saying the shit that you’re saying. what them are made with big budgets. And most of them aren’t made with making tons of profit in mind. Promising young woman only made $18 million worldwide and was considered a hit.

by Anonymousreply 47November 29, 2023 9:09 PM

Just FYI...

R47 is the Jacob Elordi/Paul Mescal troll who is most likely D@v1d@ R0ch3ll3, aka "Bellagio Horror."

D@v1d@ is obsessed with those two and won't allow criticism from anyone about anything they do. She will accuse even accuse you of child molestation. She has several sock puppet accounts, and now has decided to use this indictment of her as an indictment of others (psychological projection.)

She very clearly suffers from some kind of psychosis, in addition to being on the Spectrum (those two actors are probably on the Spectrum and Spectrum people are drawn to other Spectrum people.)

by Anonymousreply 48November 29, 2023 9:19 PM

R10 70% of people would rather watch new movies at home. They should give us what we want.

by Anonymousreply 49November 29, 2023 9:46 PM

Honestly, this is a movie to watch in a full theater.

by Anonymousreply 50November 29, 2023 9:48 PM

is there a tl;dr spoiler?

by Anonymousreply 51November 29, 2023 10:52 PM

R48 only I’m not. I get a kick out of their posts though.

There was something about how there were numerous films released that cost over $200 million to make this year, and only 1 of them turned profit.

People just aren’t going to see movies in theaters anymore outside a few anticipated films.

by Anonymousreply 52November 29, 2023 10:55 PM

[quote] only I’m not. I get a kick out of their posts though.

Oh but you are. We've seen your other posts, socky.

by Anonymousreply 53November 29, 2023 10:56 PM

R53 lmao ok foolish one. Go back to replying to yourself jobless.

by Anonymousreply 54November 29, 2023 10:58 PM

I read the wikipedia summary of the plot and it just sounds like an adult version of Scooby Doo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 29, 2023 11:02 PM

R55 but you claimed to watch it on the actual Saltburn thread ☕️

by Anonymousreply 56November 29, 2023 11:06 PM

huh?

by Anonymousreply 57November 29, 2023 11:08 PM

So there’s a dog, a van, some meddling’ kids, and a ghost/villain?

by Anonymousreply 58November 29, 2023 11:10 PM

pretty much, r58. and then the villain tells how it all went down at the end in a long conversation.

by Anonymousreply 59November 29, 2023 11:11 PM

Just saw it. Loved and ready to watch it again. Rosamund Pike is hilarious in it. I’ve never liked her in anything until now. Carey Mulligan has a small but funny role. I don’t get the Jacob love but he was fine in this. Barry Keoghan was fantastic and has a nice thick peter.

by Anonymousreply 60November 29, 2023 11:32 PM

Somehow, Jacob feels a bit miscasted while also fine in the role. I don’t think he’s hot enough but given that it’s the UK, he’d be considered a god on a Cambridge campus.

I too am itching to see this again.

by Anonymousreply 61November 30, 2023 12:54 PM

R61 not hot enough? Lmaooo I swear you’re the biggest retard ever and continuously posting to bump a thread no one is interested in. You used 3 different accounts to speak to yourself on here. Theres like 1 or 2 other people who’ve commented besides myself. This is just truly psychotic.

by Anonymousreply 62November 30, 2023 12:56 PM

What r62? I’ve posted four times on here. That feature to track posts doesn’t work if you think I’ve been responding to myself. I’m also allowed my option about a film I’ve seen.

My other post was r29, r32, & r61. None of them are responses to myself. Goodness, some of you need to chill and let discussion a happen on DL without the drama.

Comments will start and stop as people see and think about the movie. Stop being an asshole and gatekeeper.

by Anonymousreply 63November 30, 2023 1:02 PM

R63 Zzzzzzz

No. It’s you. Again and again. And the again some more. This thread could have easily been a discussion on the ongoing thread for this film but as usual you must make duplicates! Why? Because you have no job. No life. No career. No schooling. Nothing. You seem to think posting on here and Reddit and LpSG etc. is a job.

by Anonymousreply 64November 30, 2023 1:05 PM

The last time I was in a movie theater I was bitten by bedbugs. That was 2011.

by Anonymousreply 65November 30, 2023 1:13 PM

[quote] His facial features are too small for his face

This is what he resembles to me:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 30, 2023 1:46 PM

[quote]The last time I was in a movie theater I was bitten by bedbugs.

Expert tip: Don't lie down in movie theaters.

by Anonymousreply 67November 30, 2023 1:49 PM

I've seen the trailers for both. Saltburn and The Holdovers look *almost* good but also kind of tedious.

by Anonymousreply 68November 30, 2023 1:49 PM

[quote] Because you have no job. No life. No career. No schooling. Nothing.

My favorite class in school was the one where we learned how to make a thread to r64's exacting standards.

by Anonymousreply 69November 30, 2023 1:50 PM

R61 Something is off with his face(Jacob’s). I don’t find him sexy at all but agree he’s probably UK hot. A UK 8, a US 6.

by Anonymousreply 70November 30, 2023 3:25 PM

Agreed r70. I guess what I mean is hat I can appreciate that's he's attractive, more attractive than me, but he lacked sex appeal in this movie. He was like a tall, tan, Ken Doll. Perfectly handsome if in real life, but lacking in the sex appeal that someone like Dickie (Jude Law) had in The Talented Mr. Ripley. No THAT was a golden boy you didn't want to take your eyes off of could make anyone fall into lust. The type of man you'd follow to the ends of the Earth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 30, 2023 10:01 PM

I read the synopsis of the film on Wikipedia and it sounded so ridiculously dumb that I cannot understand how anyone could give it a good review. And the fact it ends with Barry Keoghan dancing to Murder on the Dancefloor?

by Anonymousreply 72November 30, 2023 10:18 PM

I'm surprised the Holdovers' reviews were so good because that trailer was over-the-top Hallmark cringe. I now feel obligated to watch it, just to find out for myself

by Anonymousreply 73November 30, 2023 10:25 PM

R72 Your loss, dude. Just stay home and read Wikipedia.Sounds like you’re living your best life.

by Anonymousreply 74November 30, 2023 11:31 PM

The fuck at r70 is the same person as r71. Im not joking. This shit is SCARY.

by Anonymousreply 75November 30, 2023 11:33 PM

Of course it’s agreeing with itself too, R75.

by Anonymousreply 76November 30, 2023 11:37 PM

He keeps replying to himself to agree with himself. Like who the fuck does that? It’s really weird.

by Anonymousreply 77November 30, 2023 11:47 PM

R66 have you seen his childhood photos?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 1, 2023 12:19 AM

R78 you’re obsessed with him. Just like Paul Mescal. Anyone who that troll likes you obsess over.

And you are r66. Why are you replying to yourself? Do we need to give you yet more redtags?

by Anonymousreply 79December 1, 2023 12:25 AM

Barry Keoghan is a great actor but this is poor casting.

There’s no point in making Psychological Horror With A Twist if you’re going to cast the weirdest actor of his generation as a psycho. You follow the Hitchcock and cast nice, handsome, sensitive Anthony Perkins or Polanski and cast bad-boy husband-material John Casavetes. You don’t the cast guy who looks like a burn victim and acts like he just escaped from a psychiatric ward.

by Anonymousreply 80December 1, 2023 1:25 AM

I had a good time seeing it yesterday although so much of the pkot, especially in the final half hour, is patently ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 81December 1, 2023 1:28 AM

R80 I agree with everything you wrote, except you are completely wrong.

He was wonderfully cast ... unless all you cared about was some B movie DUH ...DUH... DUH! reveal of the psycho evil baddie.

Personally, I wish it had ended at the cafe when Barry met cute with Rosamund years after the previous events, before all the evil machinations were laid out bare naked

by Anonymousreply 82December 1, 2023 1:32 AM

If only she had, r82. The denouement is what made his casting the problem. It’s like she didn’t trust the audience and signposted her way back into not-actually-subverting DUN DUN DUH tropes.

For such an experienced writer, it’s a mistake and a self-indulgent one.

by Anonymousreply 83December 1, 2023 2:01 AM

Ok, 83. The movie is EXACTLY THE SAME INCLUDING THE ENDING ... except for the casting of Barry Keoghan as "Oliver Quick"

Cast "Oliver Quick" to save the film.

by Anonymousreply 84December 1, 2023 2:06 AM

^r83 (sorry for the typo)

by Anonymousreply 85December 1, 2023 2:07 AM

R80 hits the nail on the head.

The Talented Mr. Ripley only worked because they cast Good Will Hunting. I remember when it first came out the press was oohing over Jude Law, but this was the performance of Matt Damon’s career.

The long-on-the-shelf readaptation starring Andrew Scott is probably going to be a failure because hello, they cast Moriarty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86December 1, 2023 2:16 AM

I was thinking about that when I posted r85 but I don’t know many British/adjacent actors from that Zillenial age group. I’m 40 myself.

Tom Holland, I guess? I don’t actually rate him that highly though. How good is Lewis Pullman at doing accents?

by Anonymousreply 87December 1, 2023 2:26 AM

Plus the first choice for Guy Woodhouse was Robert Redford. They were also going with the boy next door type like Psycho, but Cassavetes’ casting ultimately proved to be correct.

Casting Barry Keoghan is the equivalent of casting Lawrence Harvey as Guy Woodhouse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 1, 2023 2:28 AM

WHY ARE YOU DISCUSSING THE MOVIE WITH YOURSELF??? The same comments that already happened on the ACTUAL thread for this movie. The only reason you even made this thread.

You know a thread where you have to keep replying yourself isn’t a “hit” thread, as you’ve called threads in the past.

by Anonymousreply 89December 1, 2023 2:38 AM

R87, thanks for the reply.

In a way, I think maybe we're on the same page, because we're both left dissatisfied

for you it's more the lead, for me it's more the denouement

I still loved it though ... and think about it with interest and engagement , which is a good thing in a film

by Anonymousreply 90December 1, 2023 2:40 AM

Yes I think we are on a similar page r90. (And how novel that we can be civil about our differences on DL!)

by Anonymousreply 91December 1, 2023 2:58 AM

“We are on a similar page”

You’re literally the same fucking person.

by Anonymousreply 92December 1, 2023 2:59 AM

R92 that was the cherry on top, thanks!

( I hope you know ... you're also me)

by Anonymousreply 93December 1, 2023 3:07 AM

R93 you’re really fucking sick. Who keeps replying to themselves? This shit is WEIRD

by Anonymousreply 94December 1, 2023 3:10 AM

Er, I’m r80, r83, r87 and r91.

R89 etc… you confuse me.

by Anonymousreply 95December 1, 2023 3:16 AM

Rather good piece in the Guardian about why this just didn't work

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 1, 2023 3:19 AM

R94 stop this, time for bed.

Enough playtime.

by Anonymousreply 97December 1, 2023 3:26 AM

R97 you have made over 80 replies on a thread that hasn’t even hit 100. This is not sane. This is not normal. This is proof of you being a harmful person with a fucked up mental state. No sane person does this. And I’m not joking.

by Anonymousreply 98December 1, 2023 3:30 AM

Imagine having a mental breakdown over Saltburn. Of all the shitty movies to choose.

by Anonymousreply 99December 1, 2023 3:41 AM

I'll be straight with you, r98. I don't mind weird DL mind games and weirdness, I know there are people with strange mental issues here, but after a certain point of creepiness and dishonesty, I'm out. I was having an interesting exchange until you showed up

by Anonymousreply 100December 1, 2023 3:45 AM

r100 That's why she behaves like she does. She trolls threads to force out anyone who doesn't share her exact opinions. Ironically, in your case, that includes people who actually liked the film, just apparently not enough.

She'll start pretending to be a lawyer or law enforcement soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 101December 1, 2023 3:48 AM

R100 r101 YOU ARE THE SAME PERSON. WHY ARE YOU REPLYING TO YOURSELF? THIS IS NOT NORMAL

by Anonymousreply 102December 1, 2023 3:49 AM

R101 there is no pretending lmao. We’ve been in contact with “Muriel”, Reddit, LPSG and a certain former weatherman’s lawyer for a long time when we got copies of the DMs you sent him. On top of that we have proof of you stalking and harassing people online, doxxing, and child images. ☕️

by Anonymousreply 103December 1, 2023 3:50 AM

What the hell are you talking about r79? I responded to a poster’s comments with a picture and a comment—my only comment. Get a life.

by Anonymousreply 104December 1, 2023 3:57 AM

R102 you posted this several times now we understand

by Anonymousreply 105December 1, 2023 4:00 AM

R105 it’s fucking weird. It’s sick. Sane humans do not behave like this. Normal people would have taken the hint Muriel sent them over 100 times and left the site. The constant redtags? Yeah. That’s Muriel saying to leave.

by Anonymousreply 106December 1, 2023 4:07 AM

I’ve blocked R61 just for including the word “miscasted.”

by Anonymousreply 107December 1, 2023 4:12 AM

Do yourselves a favor and block the Paul Mescal/Jacob Elordi who keeps accusing people of responding to themselves and this thread will suddenly seem 100% more sane.

That Guardian article is good, but what I think the writer got wrong is insisting the US has taken to this film more than the brits have.

They haven't.

by Anonymousreply 108December 1, 2023 4:53 AM

r103 Hey dumb-dumb, when you make you empty threats, do you ever stop and think about what you'll do when nothing ever happens? By the way, why don't you take your own advice from the other thread, and just ignore any posters you don't like? As it is, I would've totally missed this thread if it wasn't for you advertising it in the other thread and bumping it with your constant posts, so thanks for that.

by Anonymousreply 109December 1, 2023 4:57 AM

r108 American critics were a lot kinder to it than British critics were.

by Anonymousreply 110December 1, 2023 5:03 AM

[quote] For such an experienced writer, it’s a mistake and a self-indulgent one.

But she's not an experienced writer. She's a failed actress who got lucky in that her first script was passed around at the height of the #MeToo era and she guilted her way into getting to direct it. It, too, was a disaster of a screenplay (and don't give me the- It won an Oscar crap- that is no longer anything more than PR wrangling).

The only improvement she's made between her first film and this is she got a bigger budget and she hired a cinematographer who actually knows where to put the camera (even though they appallingly chose to shoot in 4:3 for no discernible reason).

She is Dustin Lance Black terrible.

And the person who said Keoghan was miscast is totally correct. If you fill your film with characters no one wants to be around because they're all assholes, then you have to give them something to keep the audience watching. An open, sympathetic face and some kind of charisma goes a long way, even if they don't change the performance at all. Barry Keoghan is really unfortunate looking. And I don't mean to make fun of him because of it, it's just a fact. You might find him attractive in some way (he certainly has a decent body) and there are definitely uglier people out there, but he does not have the face of someone you want to look at in close up for two hours. He's a character actor. You cast him as a villain or someone touched in the head or all those roles Phillip Seymour Hoffman played in his heyday. You don't cast him in a lead unless that lead is the remake of My Left Foot.

by Anonymousreply 111December 1, 2023 5:03 AM

[quote] That Guardian article is good, but what I think the writer got wrong is insisting the US has taken to this film more than the brits have.

That article had a lot of good points, but typical to the Grauniad, she showed a lot of old fashioned British chauvinism and class consciousness by attributing the cherry picked good reviews to American cluelessness when just as many American views were mixed and there were British raves from the Telegraph, the BBC, the Independent and Time Out.

by Anonymousreply 112December 1, 2023 6:07 AM

[quote] by attributing the cherry picked good reviews to American cluelessness

Thin-skinned much? And no, she attributes it to Saltburn being targeted towards the American market

by Anonymousreply 113December 1, 2023 6:13 AM

[quote] But she's not an experienced writer. She's a failed actress who got lucky in that her first script was passed around at the height of the #MeToo era and she guilted her way into getting to direct it. It, too, was a disaster of a screenplay (and don't give me the- It won an Oscar crap- that is no longer anything more than PR wrangling).

She has published 2 children’s horror novels and an adult one, as well as writing 2 seasons of Killing Eve and adapted 2 major studio IPs that went nowhere.

Whatever your tastes or think of the results she has written enough to understand how things work which makes her self indulgent cuteness even more galling.

by Anonymousreply 114December 1, 2023 6:17 AM

Facially, Barry Keoghan is the male Anna Maxwell Martin.

Though he has the X-factor to be a cinematic character actor, she is strictly TV.

by Anonymousreply 115December 1, 2023 6:23 AM

OMG I totally forgot she was the book writer on the utter disaster that was Bad Cinderella.

by Anonymousreply 116December 1, 2023 6:36 AM

R109 it’s not that nothing ever happens. It’s that things like this take time. How do you think I know about your DMs to that former meteorologist? You thought sliding into his DMs and throwing a name out would automatically get that person in trouble? That’s not how it works you fucking loser with no job. Instead all that came out of it was there was a person who lied and now handed over an EASY defamation case, with clear evidence. You fucked up BAD.

AND YOURE NOT A WRITER. Retard motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 117December 1, 2023 6:36 AM

R116 STOP REPLYING TO YOURSELF. STOP REPLYING TO YOURSELF. THIS IS NOT NORMAL.

by Anonymousreply 118December 1, 2023 6:37 AM

Please put R117 on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 119December 1, 2023 6:38 AM

And don't forget to F&F r117 too, she clearly needs a break from DL

by Anonymousreply 120December 1, 2023 6:58 AM

Saw the cam version yesterday and I enjoyed it. Didn't like PYW and Fennell rubs me the wrong way about three different ways, but she clearly has something new and fresh to offer. There's some directorial panache here that surprised and delighted me, and it wasn't done to show off technical prowess either, it was there to augment the story.

Two things I didn't like: Pike's hair looked like shit and Barry is in danger of being typecast with these aspie roles.

by Anonymousreply 121December 1, 2023 1:30 PM

I think the hair department head made Pike’s hair look like shit because Pike was behaving like an utter cunt which has been her reputation for many years.

by Anonymousreply 122December 1, 2023 5:04 PM

R111 Your opinion is a bad one. That’s all.

by Anonymousreply 123December 2, 2023 12:03 AM

I fucking have it! They should have casted Josh O'Connor as the lead. But, man do I love Barry's love bird stare at Jacob on the bridge while they are back in school. Josh could have made this easier on the eyes, but Barry has a sexiness to him that made me want to blow his Irish cick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124December 3, 2023 11:36 PM

Merry Christmas! Saltburn will be available to stream on Prime Video starting Dec. 22.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125December 4, 2023 7:51 PM

And that's where and when I will be watching it.

by Anonymousreply 126December 14, 2023 1:03 PM

I just watched it. I was unmoved. I had a vague idea what it was about but didn't expect the ending. I think Barry is fine but where was the charm the character needed to be of any interest to Jacob's character. He was flat and dull and I certainly wouldn't have invited him home for the summer based on the script or the direction.

by Anonymousreply 127December 22, 2023 11:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!