Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kennedy Center nominees

The nominees to be honored at the Kennedy Center in December are:

Dionne Warwick, Billy Cystal, Barry Gibb, Renee Fleming and Queen Latifah.

The event is in December but usually is aired in January. There is also a reception at the White House for the honorees. It's as close to a taste of Hollywood that Washington, DC gets.

by Anonymousreply 79December 12, 2023 1:12 PM

Huh.

by Anonymousreply 1November 28, 2023 2:14 AM

Combined age = 679.

by Anonymousreply 2November 28, 2023 2:59 AM

I will watch the production for the Barry Gibb tribute.

by Anonymousreply 3November 28, 2023 3:04 AM

I bet my favourite Bees Gees songs - Jive Talkin’ and You Win Again - won’t get a look in.

by Anonymousreply 4November 28, 2023 3:07 AM

Why so many? Didn’t it used to be 1-3? You can’t come up with three legends or more every year without comprising.

by Anonymousreply 5November 28, 2023 3:08 AM

I think the nominees are not the honorees. I think?

by Anonymousreply 6November 28, 2023 3:16 AM

No Liza again?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 28, 2023 3:57 AM

Queen Latifa? Really? For what?

by Anonymousreply 8November 28, 2023 4:06 AM

I know that Dionne Warwick really wanted one of these. She deserves it. I hope she gets honored. I know there are a couple of Beyonce fans on DL, but I hope they come up with someone else to perform her songs.

by Anonymousreply 9November 28, 2023 4:17 AM

Barry Gibb is a good idea. He's written so many songs and had so many hits as part of the Bee Gees. He's also the last brother still alive.

by Anonymousreply 10November 28, 2023 4:18 AM

OP here. The nominees are the honorees. I read the article on Wash Post and then posted. They called them nominees. The Post doesn't attract the best reporters anymore.

I do think Billy Crystal has been a very funny comic. I'm okay with the list.

by Anonymousreply 11November 28, 2023 8:27 PM

Four out of five solid choices. latifah is the joke.

by Anonymousreply 12November 28, 2023 8:28 PM

The bar is so slow at this point.

by Anonymousreply 13December 3, 2023 10:37 PM

Low

by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2023 10:46 PM

This was announced back in June.

[quote]The event is in December but usually is aired in January.

It's airing on 12/27 on CBS. Gloria Estefan is the host.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2023 10:52 PM

[quote] Gloria Estefan is the host.

DL up in arms!

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2023 10:55 PM

Are genuine American icons denying them or…

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2023 11:03 PM

Will Ricki Lake come on stage to speak about Queen Latifah's contributions to daytime tv?

by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2023 11:04 PM

I would have suggested Levar Burton (among others) for the recognition before Queen Latifah.

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2023 11:05 PM

They're marvelling at Dionne Warwick's bedroom slippers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2023 11:08 PM

Ricki Lake was busy, so she sent "Alan and Diane" to do the Latifah tribute instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2023 11:11 PM

r19 You're trying so hard

by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2023 11:14 PM

OP, it always airs the week after Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2023 11:14 PM

You think I was going to limp around on fuck-me pumps when my corns have never been worse?

Fuck that shit. They're lucky I didn't make them carry me in on a chair.

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2023 11:16 PM

Queen Latifah? are you fucking serious? what the fuck has she done?! NOTHING

by Anonymousreply 25December 3, 2023 11:26 PM

What?

by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2023 12:08 AM

Dan Owens, well-deserved

by Anonymousreply 27December 4, 2023 12:15 AM

oh hell no

by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2023 12:17 AM

Good god

by Anonymousreply 29December 4, 2023 12:32 AM

Since when do they give awards for denying your sexuality for 30 years?

by Anonymousreply 30December 4, 2023 1:04 AM

Everyone sucks here except Queen Latifah and Barry Gibb.

by Anonymousreply 31December 4, 2023 1:25 AM

[quote] The event is in December but usually is aired in January.

Uh, it's almost always broadcast in late December, a few weeks after the event itself.

[quote] Everyone sucks here except Queen Latifah and Barry Gibb.

Dionne's a self-parody these days, but she certainly has a career that fits for KCH. Latifah is a bit too early for this, but she definitely has many accomplishments.

by Anonymousreply 32December 4, 2023 1:58 AM

[quote]Queen Latifa? Really? For what?

She's black and a rapper, which is enough qualification today. I'm sure many of us remember when the honorees were worthy of the award. Now, they've run out of potential honorees, so they leave the selection to the program division. It's shame that Latifah got an award and Betty White, a pioneer of women in tv, never did. Here are all the honorees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2023 2:43 AM

Latifah has been far more than a rapper.

But I have a bigger quibble with the fact that LL Cool J got one. He was essentially given one for hosting the Grammys for a few years.

Betty White, Liza....the list of people who deserved one is long.

by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2023 3:33 AM

Fleming is a crooner who tries to pass herself off as an opera singer. Cut that bitch out!

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2023 8:12 AM

Queen got it because she has a show on CBS.

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2023 10:39 AM

[quote]Queen got it because she has a show on CBS.

So, I guess Gayle King is next?

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2023 1:16 PM

Mark Harmon and Chuck Lorre are next.

by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2023 3:01 PM

DL fave Ben Platt does a number for the Gibb tribute.

by Anonymousreply 39December 4, 2023 3:10 PM

They found someone even hairier than Barry to sing one of his songs?

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2023 3:10 PM

R40 Don't talk about Miss Warwick like that!

by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2023 3:12 PM

R41, I hope she shows up in this thread and snatches your FUPA bald.

by Anonymousreply 42December 4, 2023 3:21 PM

MTM never got one. The Eagles got one but only 2 from the classic lineup were acknowledged. The other honored 2 (Walsh and Schmidt) didn’t join until after most of their classic material had already been recorded

Neil Sedaka has been open about wanting a Kennedy Center Honor.

by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2023 3:55 PM

WOW - that is a selection. What is the criteria?

by Anonymousreply 44December 4, 2023 4:38 PM

Liza certainly deserves a Kennedy Center Honor, but she's in frail health and they're probably afraid there would be an "incident" during the festivities.

by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2023 4:41 PM

Damn! We can't even have a traditional DL conversation without the Klan Grannies ruining everything.

Will you bitches die already!

by Anonymousreply 46December 4, 2023 4:42 PM

[quote]I bet my favourite Bees Gees songs - Jive Talkin’ and You Win Again - won’t get a look in.

I loved You Win Again. I thought it would be the start of a post-disco Bee Gees renaissance, but alas, it was not to be.

by Anonymousreply 47December 4, 2023 4:44 PM

You win again was a big hit just about everywhere but America

by Anonymousreply 48December 4, 2023 4:51 PM

[quote] Damn! We can't even have a traditional DL conversation without the Klan Grannies ruining everything.

What the fuck are you whining about now? Or is it just that you haven't used up your daily quota of screeching "KLAN GRANNIES" at everyone?

by Anonymousreply 49December 4, 2023 5:15 PM

I'm sure because someone had an objective critical opinion about Latifah and LL Cool J, it must be that anyone who shared that opinion is racisssssssssssssssssssst.

by Anonymousreply 50December 4, 2023 5:34 PM

I like Queen Latifah and LL Cool J, I grew up with their music, but in all honesty I don't think either one has a body of work worthy of a Kennedy Center Honor.

by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2023 7:12 PM

Liza will only get one if there is a gay president.

by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2023 7:27 PM

After this next year will be an even bigger doozy.

Talent no longer exists. But I'll give you Dionne despite the mind blowing fact Bacharach never got one.

by Anonymousreply 53December 4, 2023 8:19 PM

Anjelica Huston, Madonna,

by Anonymousreply 54December 4, 2023 8:55 PM

It all happened last night. They will be aired Dec 27

Former Kennedy Center Honoree Gloria Estefan Returns as Host (WASHINGTON)—CBS and the Kennedy Center announced today the 46th Annual Kennedy Center Honors will air Wednesday, December 27 (9:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network and stream on Paramount+ (live and on demand for Paramount+ with SHOWTIME subscribers, or on demand for Paramount+ Essential subscribers the day after the special airs)*. As previously announced, the Honorees include actor and comedian Billy Crystal; acclaimed soprano Renée Fleming; British singer-songwriter, producer, and Bee Gees member Barry Gibb; rapper, singer, and actress Queen Latifah; and singer Dionne Warwick. Additionally, former Kennedy Center Honoree (2017) Gloria Estefan returns as host, marking her third time hosting the special. In a star-studded celebration on the Kennedy Center Opera House stage on December 3, the 2023 Honorees will be saluted by today’s leading performers from New York, Hollywood, and the arts capitals of the world, accepting the recognition and gratitude of their peers through performances and tributes. The event will also honor the 50th anniversary of hip hop. The Kennedy Center Honors recognizes and celebrates individuals whose unique contributions have shaped the way we see ourselves, each other and our world. Recipients have each had an impact on the rich tapestry of American life and culture through the performing arts. Whether in music, dance, theater, opera, motion pictures, or television, each Kennedy Center Honoree has a unique place in the national consciousness and their influence has inspired audiences from all walks of life.

by Anonymousreply 55December 4, 2023 8:56 PM

Presenters and performers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 4, 2023 10:34 PM

They better not forget to honor me when I reach Latifah's age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 4, 2023 11:19 PM

Queen Latifha? As fucking stupid as LL Cool J.

by Anonymousreply 58December 4, 2023 11:24 PM

See I have no problem with any of them except for Latifah. I don't think she has earned it yet. She has done some excellent work Her film about Bessie Smith was outstanding. But we don't see or hear enough from her on a consistent basis to justify this yet. I'm glad Dionne Warwick is getting honored and I love Billy Crystal.

by Anonymousreply 59December 5, 2023 3:03 AM

Dionne is a crazy old bitch now, but in her prime she was an extraordinary talent. Her body of work definitely deserves to be honored.

by Anonymousreply 60December 5, 2023 3:08 AM

If Whitney Houston had lived another decade or so, she would have been honored, probably before Dionne.

My bets for next year:

Taylor Swift

Brendad Ickson

Jimmy J.J. Walker

The Snapple Lady

Billy Porter

by Anonymousreply 61December 5, 2023 6:41 AM

Today's Washington Post has a glowing review of the night. Some big names in Hollywood came to speak about the Honorees. Lots of ad libs - that were actually funny. President Biden and Jill there in the President's box.

I'm so glad this event is back.

by Anonymousreply 62December 5, 2023 2:30 PM

DL Fave Ben Platt is part of the Barry Gibb tribute!

by Anonymousreply 63December 5, 2023 3:13 PM

Lord don't let Dionne throw her house shoes at anyone.

by Anonymousreply 64December 5, 2023 3:18 PM

[quote]Today's Washington Post has a glowing review of the night. Some big names in Hollywood came to speak about the Honorees. [quote]DL Fave Ben Platt is part of the Barry Gibb tribute!

See R56 for a complete list of presenters and performers.

by Anonymousreply 65December 5, 2023 3:22 PM

You have to cut Dionne some slack about the house slippers. Bitch is going to be 83 next week and she had some kind of fall and injury recently.

by Anonymousreply 66December 5, 2023 3:54 PM

I personally think Latifah is closer to being deserving.....I don't doubt she is deserving in general, I'm more frustrated that she's getting it 10 years earlier than most, and before others who have been in line for a while get theirs.

LL Cool J has had a multifaceted career, no doubt, but I don't know that he's at the KCH level.

by Anonymousreply 67December 5, 2023 7:34 PM

Rumor has it that DL fave Ben Pratt appears!

by Anonymousreply 68December 5, 2023 9:38 PM

Warwick reeked of skunk weed.

by Anonymousreply 69December 5, 2023 9:53 PM

[quote]Rumor has it that DL fave Ben Pratt appears!

No one named Ben Pratt was in the house, so the rumor was false.

by Anonymousreply 70December 5, 2023 10:24 PM

I rove Ben Pratt!

by Anonymousreply 71December 6, 2023 12:09 AM

You should have used another person, R71, because Margaret speaks English much better than you.

by Anonymousreply 72December 6, 2023 1:43 PM

Yes, but before she became PC, she used to do a wicked imperssion of her mother, replete with reversed Rs and Ls.

You humor-free twat.

by Anonymousreply 73December 6, 2023 2:05 PM

It's an impersonation, asshole. She doesn't speak that way, you racist pig.

by Anonymousreply 74December 6, 2023 2:28 PM

[quote] Yes, but before she became PC, she used to do a wicked imperssion of her mother, replete with reversed Rs and Ls.

On DL we sign such messages as “Mrs. Cho”.

by Anonymousreply 75December 6, 2023 2:31 PM

[quote] It's an impersonation, asshole. She doesn't speak that way, you racist pig.

No fucking shit?!?! REALLY????

by Anonymousreply 76December 6, 2023 7:38 PM

You post pointed out that she did, numbnuts. That's how fucking racist you are. R75 pointed out how you should have signed your post.

by Anonymousreply 77December 6, 2023 8:55 PM

Are you fucking retarded, R77? I'm being serious, not joking. Are you retarded?

by Anonymousreply 78December 6, 2023 9:44 PM

Was Chris Pratt there?

by Anonymousreply 79December 12, 2023 1:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!