Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

SNL's Melanie Hutsell: "I would have been fired if I didn't wear the prosthetic nose"

Mayim Bialik recently reflected on a Saturday Night Live sketch in which her iconic character Blossom was portrayed with a large prosthetic nose — and now, the performer who played her is responding to her comments.

Melanie Hutsell, who parodied Bialik's titular sitcom character in a 1994 sketch, provided a statement to EW expressing her regret over the incident. "When we were preparing to do that sketch all those years ago, I was absolutely horrified that they wanted me to wear a prosthetic nose to play Mayim Bialik's character, Blossom. I knew it was wrong," Hutsell says.

She says once she shared her apprehension with her colleagues at SNL, she felt her job was on the line. "I remember so clearly that when I expressed that I did not want to wear the prosthetic nose for the sketch, I was told if I refused, I would be fired," Hutsell says. "And keep in mind, many of the people who had a hand in creating the sketch were Jewish. Although I had and have always had a strong moral compass, I didn't have the strength to refuse to do the sketch after I was told I would be fired."

The actress reflects that she wishes she had responded to the threat differently. "If I could go back and change history, I would have refused to wear the prosthetic nose and taken the risk of losing my job," Hutsell says. "That would have been the right thing to do."

Representatives for SNL did not immediately reply to EW's request for comment.

In Bialik's essay, the Jeopardy host said that she "felt ashamed" after the sketch, adding "Girls all over the world used to tell me that they had never seen a Jewish girl like me on TV before they saw me on Blossom. Many said they knew I was Jewish and it made them proud to be. That was so touching to me, and it still is… I wonder how those girls felt when they saw an actress playing me with a comically prosthetic nose."

In her statement, Hutsell also recalls an encounter she had with Bialik a decade later that allowed her to apologize for the sketch. "The whole situation haunted me for years, but thankfully I had an opportunity at an audition about ten years after the fact to look Mayim in the eye and apologize for what I did, to which she responded, 'I release you!'

I took that to mean that she accepted my apology and that meant more to me than she will ever know," she says. "Considering I married someone who is Jewish and have two children who are Jewish, the idea that I caused pain to a fellow actor who was a teenager at the time is not something I'm proud of, but I have had to forgive myself."

Hutsell also clarifies that she's publicly expressed her remorse in the past, including in a podcast episode that was released in July. "Well over a year ago, I did an interview with SNL co-workers Dana Carvey and David Spade on their podcast, Fly On The Wall," she says. "When the Blossom sketch was brought up, I took the opportunity as I have in many other interviews, to convey my sincere regret as it is something I have grappled with since it occurred."

On the podcast episode, Hutsell described the nose as "so offensive" and went into further detail about her encounter with Bialik. "​​We were sitting on a couch together, and she hadn't looked up from her script," Hutsell said on the episode. The SNL star recalled tearfully telling the actress, "Hey, I just wanna say something to you…I did an impersonation of you on Saturday Night Live.

I was not happy about certain things and I just wanna I wanna apologize to you and say that I'm sorry." Hutsell said on the podcast that Bialik then responded, "I release you!... I'm not gonna say that I didn't feel that back then… but you know, we can let this go."

"I think Mayim is one of the smartest and most incredible people on the planet- beautiful inside and out," Hutsell concludes in her statement to EW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 5, 2023 4:29 PM

I actually loved that sketch. It was hilarious.

Makes me wonder if it would have been as funny without the nose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2023 8:59 PM

I was thinking it was the chin that was prosthetic.

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2023 9:10 PM

It was pretty mean to make fun of a teenager like that but SNL insulted everyone.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2023 9:13 PM

OMG the virtue signaling never ends.

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2023 9:17 PM

Oh, yes.

Bring up shit from 30 years ago because YOU were "hurt" and blah blah blah when it was a silly SNL parody.

And then, no doubt, pronounce your judgment on the apologist so we can see if she did enough to satisfy the Grudge Twat Goddesses.

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2023 10:11 PM

Who did they get that was pretty and stupid enough to play Joey?

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2023 10:15 PM

[quote] It was pretty mean to make fun of a teenager like that

Yes, it was!

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2023 10:34 PM

Gilda Radner.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2023 10:35 PM

Hutsell and Sara Gilbert are really good in that skit.

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2023 10:47 PM

SNL sucked shit during that era.

And Melanie Hutsell was dead weight on the show. She could do Jan Brady, and that was it.

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2023 10:56 PM

Has Sarah Gilbert commented on how hurt she was?

by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2023 11:04 PM

Wasn’t she the deeply untalented one?

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2023 11:13 PM

Mayim needs to get over herself. Jews aren't the only people with big noses. So much underserved success yet she feels like a victim.

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2023 11:15 PM

She may be a whiner but her success is not unearned. She connected with young women, for whatever reason.

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2023 11:19 PM

[quote] Who did they get that was pretty and stupid enough to play Joey?

It looks like Mike Meyers, in the video at R1.

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2023 11:21 PM

r15 it was

by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2023 11:29 PM

I forgot she did Jan Brady, R10!

She was awesome. Her impression was spot-on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2023 11:43 PM

I loved Melanie Hutsell! Jan Brady, Monica Seles, Tori Spelling…and of course, “Delta, Delta, Delta, Can I Help Ya, Help Ya, Help Ya!” (That’s really how they used to answer the phone at the Tri-Delt house at my college)

She also does a totally deranged Paula Dean that is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 18November 27, 2023 11:50 PM

Blossom was smug and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 19November 27, 2023 11:59 PM

Hutsell was much better than any of the current female SNL cast.

by Anonymousreply 20November 28, 2023 12:13 AM

Mayim is an ACTUAL NEUROSCIENTIST! You bitches better bow down to her superiority.

by Anonymousreply 21November 28, 2023 12:19 AM

Mayim RELEASES you, R19.

You'll come to your senses one day, just like Melanie did.

by Anonymousreply 22November 28, 2023 12:27 AM

Who cares? I feel like Melanie's being a little disingenuous here and I would respect her more she just said what we are all probably thinking is that we all thought s*** was funny like that back then and we weren't very sensitive that maybe it wasn't nice to make fun of teenage girls. But at the same time if you're going to be in the show business where appearances matter then you probably have to get a little bit of a thick skin and maybe children shouldn't even be in that industry. Honestly I think it's still okay to laugh at those sorts of things and maybe if we did a little more often we wouldn't all be so quick to be offended about s*** that ultimately doesn't matter. If blossom was so sad about it then maybe they should have done a very special blossom which they weren't shy about doing about how it was perfectly fine to look like a Jew girl with your big schnoze.

by Anonymousreply 23November 28, 2023 12:39 AM

The funniest Hutsell sketch I recall is one where she plays an incredibly vain woman who is convinced everyone in a bar is hitting on her. She makes the bar tender pour out a drink and fix another one for her while she watches. He asks her why, and she deadpans “Spanish Fly?”.

When a female asks her for the time, Hutsell breaks the fourth wall and she exclaims “They’re ALL bitin’ today!” As kids, we roared laughing because we all knew someone like this character.

by Anonymousreply 24November 28, 2023 12:42 AM

Melanie was perfection as a Delta Delta Delta girl.

She absolutely nails the snotty white girl schtick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 28, 2023 12:47 AM

R24, I loved that sketch and have been searching for it. She also sees a man and says something like “I wouldn’t mind him getting caught in tuna net!”

by Anonymousreply 26November 28, 2023 12:53 AM

Um, didn't Jennifer Anniston wear a prosthetic nose on SNL to portray SJP? Where's HER groveling apology?

by Anonymousreply 27November 28, 2023 12:59 AM

When I was in college in the early 90s there was a rumor that the Delta Delta Delta sketch was based on a Tri Delt from my school who had interned at NBC in New York. Highly unlikely but they were that vapid so not impossible

by Anonymousreply 28November 28, 2023 1:06 AM

If she couldn't hear apologize for wearing tard face during her Tori spelling sketch?

Seriously though the nose in that one looks the same as the lesson so either it was just a chin prosthetic or she has another apology to make.

by Anonymousreply 29November 28, 2023 1:07 AM

R22 She can release herself off the nearest cliff for all I care.

by Anonymousreply 30November 28, 2023 1:15 AM

[quote] She may be a whiner but her success is not unearned. She connected with young women, for whatever reason

Blossom was unlike other kinds of teen TV characters. There were characters who were supposed to be “Not Like Other Girls” - verbal, quirky, smart, not Hollywood Pretty - but they looked like Claire Danes and AJ Langer. Mayim actually wasn’t Hollywood Pretty but looked like a normal, non-glamourised kid.

by Anonymousreply 31November 28, 2023 1:23 AM

Who the fuck cares about or brings up a nearly 30 year old SNL skit?

by Anonymousreply 32November 28, 2023 1:29 AM

That skit was lame. Not funny. Yet another example of MadTV’s superiority.

by Anonymousreply 33November 28, 2023 1:43 AM

So? Wear the nose

by Anonymousreply 34November 28, 2023 1:48 AM

R32, I think hutsell brought it up on a podcast and that caused this to bubble back up

by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2023 1:49 AM

Oh, for Christ's sake, Melanie... SIMMA DONNA!

by Anonymousreply 36November 28, 2023 1:55 AM

Who cares about a fake nose?

by Anonymousreply 37November 28, 2023 1:56 AM

Melanie Hutsell is such an underrated SNL performer. She's among the greats.

by Anonymousreply 38November 28, 2023 3:33 AM

She was playing the character of Blossom in the sketch and the Blossom character is of Italian descent in the show, so technically she was mocking an ethnically Italian character and not a Jewish one.

by Anonymousreply 39November 28, 2023 5:25 AM

Bialik would be cancelled today for stealing a role from an authentic Italian-American:

"Blossom Russo, an Italian-American teenager, lives with her single father Nick in a male-dominated household that includes elder brothers Tony and Joey. In the beginning of the series, it is revealed Blossom's family is adjusting in the wake of their mother Maddy leaving to pursue her own life and career. Nick is a session musician who is frequently between gigs and tours"

by Anonymousreply 40November 28, 2023 6:33 AM

Woe!

by Anonymousreply 41November 29, 2023 2:10 AM

It’s not a fake nose, it’s a balloon for a party.

by Anonymousreply 42November 29, 2023 2:18 AM

What number Jeopardy thread are we on? I can't find it on search.

by Anonymousreply 43December 1, 2023 12:07 AM

I don't believe her story that she was threatened with firing.

by Anonymousreply 44December 1, 2023 12:17 AM

R43 40. Here is the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 1, 2023 12:52 AM

r44 = Sarah Silverman

by Anonymousreply 46December 1, 2023 3:23 AM

Father Guido Sarducci needs to apologize to Italian priests everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 47December 1, 2023 3:33 AM

And Roseanne Rosanna Danna needs to apologize to mildly retarded autistic Italian people everywhere!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 1, 2023 3:40 AM

I need to know Ellen Cleghornes take on this.

Also like the same lines of this has anybody seen that ridiculous video of Debra Wilson in Orlando Jones talking about the babe watch skit on mad TV where Artie laying was supposedly fat shaming or being fat shamed and it drove him to seek out cocaine?

by Anonymousreply 49December 1, 2023 4:07 AM

About that video I was thinking it's too bad will never know his take on it since he's dead but then I remembered he's still alive so I hope somebody shows in that video and he comments about it in some way.

by Anonymousreply 50December 1, 2023 4:11 AM

When I saw this thread title I immediately remembered the dancing during the theme song and, in re-watching the video, that skit has held up. Very funny. I agree with everyone who thinks Melanie Hutsell was really good in it. I'm surprised at the dramatic remorse she's expressed since then. SNL always tried to accurately replicate the looks of a character in a sendup. Doubt if any offense was intended by trying to make her look like the Blossom" character.

And I had forgotten how funny Mike Myers was.

by Anonymousreply 51December 1, 2023 4:21 AM

I don't think that Tori Spelling acts like this, but it's still funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 1, 2023 4:26 AM

Oh nos. She definitely needs to apologize to Tori for implying that her father bought prostitutes for her.

by Anonymousreply 53December 1, 2023 4:28 AM

[quote] "If I could go back and change history, I would have refused to wear the prosthetic nose and taken the risk of losing my job," Hutsell says.

Lies.

She’d make the same decision all over again, to keep her job.

by Anonymousreply 54December 1, 2023 4:28 AM

[quote] Um, didn't Jennifer Anniston wear a prosthetic nose on SNL to portray SJP? Where's HER groveling apology?

She did. I'm guess SJP was probably back in the day, but years ago I think people just kept quiet whenever they were parodied on SNL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 1, 2023 5:07 AM

[quote]Doubt if any offense was intended by trying to make her look like the Blossom" character.

Things change. I think it's okay to acknowledge things were different back then AND the standard now is that you shouldn't make fun of someone's physical features, especially if that person is a teenager.

That being said, I can buy that teenage Mayim was upset that someone made fun of her nose on national television. However, adult Mayim forgave Melanie. She likely got over it a long time ago but that doesn't mean she can't tell the story. I think there's relevance for it for today's age with social. I couldn't imagine being in school now and navigating that.

by Anonymousreply 56December 1, 2023 5:35 AM

I didn't find it mean-spirited, but to each his own. I do think it (very) humorously showed how stupid the show [italic]Blossom[/italic] was.

by Anonymousreply 57December 1, 2023 6:46 AM

I've gotten used to forgotten minor celebrities dredging up the personal traumas they suffered decades ago, but to have had one's life ruined by a 30-year-old SNL spoof of "Blossom" seems a bit desperate.

by Anonymousreply 58December 1, 2023 8:03 AM

When ever I click on the link for a referenced SNL skit I am reminded that a lot of humour isn’t transferable. I’m not American but am across the cultural and political landscapes and all that I see are not very convincing impersonations.

by Anonymousreply 59December 1, 2023 9:31 AM

You are not seeing a lot of humour, r59, because there is not a lot of humour.

With the limited exception of the Phil Hartman + Jan Hooks years, SNL is reliably humourless.

by Anonymousreply 60December 1, 2023 10:19 AM

I can understand teenage Mayim not liking it, but neither Hustell nor SNL did a damn thing wrong. SNL always tries to look as close to the actual person as possible. I’m sure there have been hundreds of people who hate seeing their own features highlighted on the show, but their features are their features. It’s not like they made the nose comically oversized to the point of caricature, which would be different. They simply made Hutsell look like Blossom actually looked. That’s only offensive if you find Bialik’s literal face to be offensive.

by Anonymousreply 61December 1, 2023 10:34 AM

SNL skits have different timing and vibe over the decades. The good ones are still funny but the mind needs minute to recalibrate. The Sex and the City one is absurdist but by mid-sketch it's pretty good satire on the show. It's not specifically making fun of SJP either.

by Anonymousreply 62December 1, 2023 11:11 AM

Other than the nose. Which wasn't necessary IMO.

by Anonymousreply 63December 1, 2023 11:12 AM

[quote] Um, didn't Jennifer Anniston wear a prosthetic nose on SNL to portray SJP? Where's HER groveling apology?

SJP was an adult and isn’t Jewish. Not saying you don’t have a point, but it’s not quite the same thing.

I’d forgotten that the Blossom character was Italian. I think that does make a difference.

by Anonymousreply 64December 1, 2023 11:41 AM

This thread makes me miss Jan Hooks.

“Apologize for what?”

by Anonymousreply 65December 1, 2023 12:02 PM

They made her look really unattractive. She wasn't a typical Hollywood cutie pie or junior miss sexpot–but she was a cute, fresh scrubbed kid.

What strikes me is that her own network didn't protect her. That has to be a terrible feeling. I'm sure it was an awful experience for a young girl to feel exposed and judged.

by Anonymousreply 66December 1, 2023 12:32 PM

[quote] They made her look really unattractive.

That's because Melanie Hutsell is unattractive.. rofl.

Especially when she contorts her face, which she does as part of her comedy.

It's both ugly and hilarious at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 67December 1, 2023 2:21 PM

[quote] What strikes me is that her own network didn't protect her. That has to be a terrible feeling. I'm sure it was an awful experience for a young girl to feel exposed and judged.

Mayim was already 18 when SNL made fun of her. NBC wasn't going to pit two of their shows against each other over a comedy sketch.

by Anonymousreply 68December 1, 2023 2:56 PM

What’s also interesting is that Sarah Silverman was in the cast that year, yet she wasn’t the one to play Blossom. Wouldn’t been the much more natural choice, but I guess she couldn’t do a good impression.

by Anonymousreply 69December 5, 2023 2:01 AM

^^Sarah Silverman has no talent whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 70December 5, 2023 2:31 AM

[quote]They made her look really unattractive. She wasn't a typical Hollywood cutie pie or junior miss sexpot–but she was a cute, fresh scrubbed kid.

Um, no. She actually was really unattractive. Very homely.

by Anonymousreply 71December 5, 2023 2:32 AM

[quote]She was playing the character of Blossom in the sketch and the Blossom character is of Italian descent in the show, so technically she was mocking an ethnically Italian character and not a Jewish one.

I didn't know Blossom was supposed to be Italian. Mayim Bialik doesn't look Italian at all, she looks VERY Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 72December 5, 2023 2:35 AM

[quote] I've gotten used to forgotten minor celebrities dredging up the personal traumas they suffered decades ago, but to have had one's life ruined by a 30-year-old SNL spoof of "Blossom" seems a bit desperate.

I'm also surprised that Mayim didn't demand to know which writers pitched and wrote the sketch or if Hutsell helped write the sketch.

by Anonymousreply 73December 5, 2023 4:29 AM

SJP is Jewish or half-Jewish, I think.

by Anonymousreply 74December 5, 2023 5:43 AM

SJP is half Palomino.

by Anonymousreply 75December 5, 2023 6:04 AM

Melanie Hutsell was great on SNL. I'm sorry that she felt she needed to apologize.

by Anonymousreply 76December 5, 2023 6:13 AM

Melanie was so great she was fired after just two seasons as a featured player and one in the repertory cast.

Her lane was "mildly developmentally disabled," and that was too narrow for SNL at the time.

by Anonymousreply 77December 5, 2023 8:16 AM

[quote]Wasn’t she the deeply untalented one?

Which one? After the awesome 1986-1991 cast, SNL seemed determined to hire the most limited, shtickiest, hackiest people ever: David Spade, Mike Myers, Rob Schneider, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Julia Sweeney, Ellen Cleghorne, Melanie, Beth Cahill—they all could hit one or two notes, and that was it.

by Anonymousreply 78December 5, 2023 8:31 AM

"After the awesome 1986-1991 cast, SNL seemed determined to hire the most limited, shtickiest, hackiest people ever: ..... Mike Myers"

Mike Myers was in the '86 to '91 cast

by Anonymousreply 79December 5, 2023 10:03 AM

R79 only as a featured player from mid season 89 to the following midseason so I think it's fair to lump him with the post 91 hacks.

by Anonymousreply 80December 5, 2023 4:05 PM

The late 80s SNL with Jan Hooks (RIP), Phil Hartman, Nora Dunn etc. was fabulous. Then it turned into the Stupid Fratboy Show once Sandler, Farley, Spade and Schneider joined the cast.

by Anonymousreply 81December 5, 2023 4:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!