Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you enjoy watching Hallmark Christmas movies?

Wondering the consensus around here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 26, 2023 11:59 AM

Oh, yes, that's when I get to catch up on my knitting and scrap-booking šŸ™„

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2023 3:03 AM

They are complete redundant trash. As cheery as a head in collision

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2023 3:04 AM

on*

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2023 3:04 AM

OP- I would like Carlo Mark's BALLS āš½āš½

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2023 3:05 AM

Show all the meth labs and crack houses on ā€œSnow Globe Laneā€

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2023 3:06 AM

r5 = David Lynch

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2023 3:06 AM

It's not a crack house, it's a crack home

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2023 3:09 AM

cute meet šŸ¤¢ cutesy banter šŸ¤®

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2023 3:19 AM

I will glance at one or two every year but I don't sit and watch them. I like to keep up with the genre because I like popular culture. I also have an interest in the set and production design. What kinds of fake snow they are using, how many tens of thousand of fairy lights are implicated. How they work in trends things from the general zeitgeist.

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2023 3:22 AM

I have my favourites: Our Luke, Brennan Elliott, Melissa Joan Hart, one of the Mowry twins, Lacey Chabert.

We have a DL Hallmark Zaddy who has acted as one of the Christmas leading ladiesā€™ father. I bet heā€™s a silver fox.

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2023 3:30 AM

Not anymore... šŸ˜ 

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2023 3:41 AM

Without reading r11, I'm going to guess it's not "Christian" enough for her.

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2023 12:45 PM

^ Bingo!

Hallmark features Gay people and that simply won't fly with our Candace šŸ™„

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2023 12:55 PM

I find Lifetime Christmas movies a bit more textured/interesting.

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2023 12:57 PM

I thought Candace was going to fly a helicopter šŸš into the jail yard to spring Lori

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2023 1:36 PM

Oh, Fuck GAC and them turning it into GAC Family to feature movies with that cunt Candace. I still laugh at how GAC Family got low ratings last year for their Christmas movies.

by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2023 1:40 PM

[quote] I find Lifetime Christmas movies a bit more textured/interesting.

Lifetime is a bit more racier with some of their Christmas movies. The movie 12 Men Of Christmas with Kristin Chenowith was pretty entertaining. Also, Lifetime was featuring Christmas movies with interracial couples before Hallmark was.

by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2023 1:46 PM

Nah. They're not even in the 'so bad they're funny category'.

by Anonymousreply 18November 27, 2023 1:55 PM

Omg I hate them so much.

My Dad's evening caregiver is OBSESSED with them and will turn Dad's TV to those GAC/Hallmark/Lifetime channels and watch one after another.

I wanna tell her [bold]THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!!![/bold] Beautiful male actors (75% of whom are obviously gay) paired with plain-to-moderately good looking actress rehashing the same basic plot over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. And over.

And I have to hear them all because I'm trapped in the kitchen making dinner, and Dad's den where the TV is adjoins the kitchen.

You can tell who their audience is by observing how plain the women are. Every time. Can't have a beautiful actress they can't relate to, making that audience feel envious instead of cheering them on, right?

Did I mention how much I hate them, and how they all have the same plot? Because I'm not sure I made that clear....

by Anonymousreply 19November 27, 2023 2:01 PM

The Amazon reviews of this one are pretty hilarious. Basically, woman with PhD in astronomy walks away from a career-altering scientific discovery because insecure man-child throws a hissy fit.

But it is GAC Family, not Hallmark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 27, 2023 2:07 PM

Every time I see Randon Bouth in "The Nine Kittens of Christmas," I touch myself just a little bit. You know. Down there.

by Anonymousreply 21November 27, 2023 2:11 PM

Awful. What happened to the Dove channel, another uber xtian offering?

by Anonymousreply 22November 27, 2023 3:16 PM

Silly OP.

You think I still pay for cable and replaced it with streaming.

Couldn't watch it if I wanted to, but I don't so ... .

by Anonymousreply 23November 27, 2023 3:19 PM

No, I don't enjoy them. I don't know why they have to be so bad. Romantic comedy fans deserve better.

by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2023 3:25 PM

My mother hate watches them. I've watched with her a few times during my visits. She loves trashing them. The writing and the fake quaint settings but she really makes fun of all the actors and extras forced to have huge, happy-happy smiles the entire movie. Everyone is maniacally happy. That Good Witch show had the same creepy cheerfulness all the time plus constant tea drinking when in reality they'd all be drinking wine.

by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2023 3:33 PM

My favorite thing to make fun of is the Christmas decorations in places where Christmas decorations never are. With that said, as someone who loves Christmas, the aesthetic of the Hallmark movies really is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2023 3:38 PM

When I do accidentally see a part of one I feel really sorry for the actors involved.

I guess a gig is a gig.

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2023 3:44 PM

Funny you should ask, as I've been dipping my toe into the gay ones this past week. It's really funny that they literally all have the same plot, but I can see where some might find that comforting. Most of them I've had to turn off after 30 minutes or so, but I did make it through the Fran Drescher one, and there was one with Jonathan Bennett watching his sister's kids that... I actually enjoyed. I'm braced for your mockery. Strangely, it was the only one not featuring an aging diva in the mother role.

Last night I watched The Bitch Who Stole Christmas, which was basically a really long Rusical parody of these movies. I laughed several times, but just like the Rusicals, I was ready for it to be over well before it ended.

Next in the queue is "A Christmas to Treasure." We'll see how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2023 3:55 PM

Watching this one tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 28, 2023 12:45 AM

I made it through twenty minutes of A Christmas to Treasure.

by Anonymousreply 30November 28, 2023 2:01 AM

RE r26: here's an example. Look at these decorations on a train ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 28, 2023 2:10 AM

Iā€™m waiting for ID Channel to start running Christmas movies.

ā€œA Christmas Bludgeoningā€

ā€œJingle Bells and Rapeā€

ā€œā€˜Twas the Night Before He Stabbed Me With an Ice Pickā€

The ratings would be huge. Trust me. My brain dead sister loves Christmas love stories and domestic violence murders.

by Anonymousreply 32November 28, 2023 2:22 AM

I want David Lynch to direct a Hallmark Christmas movie. What a mind fuck that would be.

by Anonymousreply 33November 28, 2023 2:23 AM

r30 why was it so bad?

by Anonymousreply 34November 28, 2023 2:34 AM

Lucus Bryant is barely holding my attention in r29

by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2023 2:43 AM

Also, they're at an indoor skating rink and there are decorated Christmas trees ON THE RINK. I can only suspend belief for so long.

by Anonymousreply 36November 28, 2023 2:44 AM

[quote] Lifetime is a bit more racier with some of their Christmas movies. The movie 12 Men Of Christmas with Kristin Chenowith was pretty entertaining.

I remember that one. It featured a pre-Veep Anna Chlumsky.

At that time Lifetime had made a bunch of movies starring actors who could find legitimate TV and film roles elsewhere - Mary-Louise Parker, Sarah Paulson, John Corbett, Brittany Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 37November 28, 2023 3:04 AM

I saw one on Amazon Prime set in the December Christmas market in ā€œcharming English townā€.

Very unrealistic. Where was the pumping 1990s house music? The minimum of 2 public fights? The 80-90% of the stalls selling cider and gin?

by Anonymousreply 38November 28, 2023 3:12 AM

Only the older ones I might know from the 60s-70s. If they didnā€™t have them then I donā€™t know.

by Anonymousreply 39November 28, 2023 3:13 AM

Yes they're silly fun movies and great for Xmas time.

by Anonymousreply 40November 28, 2023 3:20 AM

They are the romance in many women's lives. Just like romance novels (remember Harlequin Romances?) or soaps. Sometimes it's nice just to sit and watch something cute and corny while I'm doing other things. Makes me want to live a small town and marry the widowed gym teacher who just found out his family's land was on a part of the old mine that never was explored before the explosion and everything was shut down. Now with robots and AI, the mining can start easily and this gym teacher will be one of the richest men in the state. With a fat 8 inches.

by Anonymousreply 41November 28, 2023 3:20 AM

I forgot to add - they're all the same plot but you know what you're getting into. I enjoyed a couple of the gay ones in recent years. Cringey yes but still fun.

by Anonymousreply 42November 28, 2023 3:25 AM

Funny, thatā€™s why I watch The Andy Griffith Show channel R41.

by Anonymousreply 43November 28, 2023 4:40 AM

Christmas in Gaza

by Anonymousreply 44November 28, 2023 10:58 AM

It's about quantity, not quality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 28, 2023 2:18 PM

The problem is they air them ALL fucking year. Why not change the name to The Christmas Channel?

by Anonymousreply 46November 28, 2023 2:21 PM

MERRY r46!!!

by Anonymousreply 47November 28, 2023 5:43 PM

R46, actually they only air the Christmas movies from late Oct to Christmas and then in July (Christmas in July!). I could see how you would be confused though as they fill the rest of the year with other "seasonal" content which follows the exact same formula.

by Anonymousreply 48November 28, 2023 6:37 PM

Considering there are 34,391 movies in the Hallmark Christmas catalog, they have to air them year-round.

by Anonymousreply 49November 28, 2023 8:29 PM

They all have the "Boy Meets Girl" plot.

by Anonymousreply 50November 28, 2023 8:32 PM

Canā€™t stand them. I think of them as 110% artificial

by Anonymousreply 51November 28, 2023 9:14 PM

The ā€œOther Sideā€ of Pine Cone Ridge

by Anonymousreply 52November 28, 2023 9:30 PM

They're great escapism.

by Anonymousreply 53November 29, 2023 1:44 AM

My brother-in-law's sister-in-law loves the Hallmark channel, she also talks about soap opera characters as if they're real people.

by Anonymousreply 54November 29, 2023 1:50 AM

SnowGlobe Lane South

by Anonymousreply 55November 29, 2023 6:31 AM

I hate that artificial shit. Make believe stories bad acting from plastic looking actors. Flushable

by Anonymousreply 56November 29, 2023 10:07 PM

Even their gay movies sound stupid as fuck

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 1, 2023 9:49 PM

Shit-TV

by Anonymousreply 58December 1, 2023 10:09 PM

I find the sets and decorations beautiful. Their invocation of the Christmas aesthetic makes them worthwhile to me.

by Anonymousreply 59December 2, 2023 2:54 AM

Thereā€™s a side of Holly Heights thatā€™s ready for its closeup: the tittie bars, the massage parlors, the public parkā€™s menā€™s room traffic, the nervous sheep just beyond town, the obesity, the homeless camps

by Anonymousreply 60December 2, 2023 1:43 PM

R59, I always find the sets and decorations cold and sterile. All the houses look like they've been "set," which of course, they have, but I would assume they're going for cozy and not sterile.

by Anonymousreply 61December 2, 2023 10:50 PM

I donā€™t watch that shit

by Anonymousreply 62December 2, 2023 10:51 PM

[quote]They're great escapism.

Which is something that ultraliberals don't understand.

They're doom & gloom about everything but love to wallow in their misery, pessimism, and 'victimhood.'

by Anonymousreply 63December 2, 2023 10:57 PM

R63 Maga too

by Anonymousreply 64December 2, 2023 11:00 PM

I love the idea of cozy Christmas movies. But the current standard of acting and writing is SO BAD. Much worse than telemovies were in the 80s and 90s. I usually just end up rewatching something like ā€œChristmas in Connecticutā€ (1945) for the fiftieth time.

by Anonymousreply 65December 3, 2023 5:26 AM

I love them and I believe they should be used to reset modern American societal sensibilities.

by Anonymousreply 66December 3, 2023 5:27 AM

Do these Hallmark movies feature naked people? Is there a Mark in them? Is he naked in the Hall? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 67December 3, 2023 5:31 AM

[quote]My Dad's evening caregiver is OBSESSED with them and will turn Dad's TV to those GAC/Hallmark/Lifetime channels and watch one after another. I wanna tell her THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!!!

I think that's the appeal to the people who love them.

by Anonymousreply 68December 3, 2023 10:57 AM

I can't deal with the ones that feature "royalty"

by Anonymousreply 69December 6, 2023 11:37 PM

I watch ā€œNovember Christmasā€ every year. Itā€™s got John Corbett, Sarah Paulson, Karen Allen and Sam Elliott! Itā€™s on the YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 70December 6, 2023 11:45 PM

I like the one with Christine Baranski as an out of work cruise line dancer visiting her disapproving daughter during the holidays. They donā€™t program it anymore and Iā€™ve forgotten the title.

by Anonymousreply 71December 6, 2023 11:48 PM

This one r71?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 6, 2023 11:51 PM

Yes, r72! Is it a favorite of yours or are you just super helpful or both!

by Anonymousreply 73December 6, 2023 11:57 PM

Never seen it, r73, but I'm intrigued!

It's on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 74December 7, 2023 12:00 AM

Love 'em

They're like visual Muzak. I miss Muzak, too.

by Anonymousreply 75December 7, 2023 12:02 AM

I agree with R53. They are completely inoffensive, unchallenging, idealized depictions of a childishly simple world were everything is easy. They are light, uplifting entertainment for wintry, dark days when you might be feeling a bit down and well, nothing more - which is exactly where their charm lies.

I also enjoy the fact that they don't pretend to be anything other than sugary pap: you watch a couple of them during the Christmas season, are distracted for an hour and then move onto more important things in your life, until next year when it's cold and dark outside and you don't feel like paying attention to anyone else at home.

by Anonymousreply 76December 7, 2023 12:22 AM

Almost all of it is lightweight disposable nonsense geared to women as fairy tale stories. The last one I saw was about 2 years ago because it had Aaron Tveit called One Royal Holiday, with a Christmas plot about a prince gets stranded in a small wintry village and ends up finding love. Happily ever after.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 7, 2023 12:28 AM

Candace Cameron Bure has migrated to GAF

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 7, 2023 10:12 PM

I watched about 10 mins of one the other evening on one of the freak channels (not cable). Generic good-looking man, home from The Big City for some family reason, meets generic good-looking woman; they start off on the wrong foot but end up together. Probably.

It was excruciatingly bad and her vocal fry was unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 79December 7, 2023 10:34 PM

It's such fuzzy resolution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 7, 2023 11:33 PM

I no watch. Beside, who geeve a foock about Kreestmas?

by Anonymousreply 81December 7, 2023 11:41 PM

R78 Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel

by Anonymousreply 82December 8, 2023 12:22 PM

Sanitized horseshit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 8, 2023 12:34 PM

I will continue to hate GAF for the rest of my life.

by Anonymousreply 84December 8, 2023 1:56 PM

Visual artificial sweetener sludge

by Anonymousreply 85December 8, 2023 1:58 PM

I don't watch them but and I get annoyed because a lot of the old people rerun channels I watch like ion and antenna and cozy will sometimes show them instead of the regular shows I'm used to watching. So like I'll be sitting down and planning to watch a certain rerun a Frasier designing women or law and Order sexy times and this crap comes on.

Now start TV which is like the women LED television show channel is starting to show them on Saturday nights which is fine cuz I don't watch anything on that channel at night just early in the morning when I watch beauty and the beast Dr Quinn Touched by an Angel any day now and two episodes of murder She wrote. Although this Saturday one of the movies is the Dr Quinn Christmas movie but I've never seen those movies and I've heard that they don't really keep continuity with the TV show so I might not bother also I didn't really care for the show after Katie was born because first of all I thought that name was stupid for the baby and also it just got too Harley Quinn romance with too many heaving bosoms in and hushed whispered conversations.

Anyway what really prompted me to comment here is that one of the movies they keep advertising for this Saturday is a family matters Christmas. And the first time I saw that commercial I thought to myself how odd but I am intrigued that they would have done and made this however I discovered that it's only the mom and daughter from family matters playing completely different characters and has nothing to do with the television show so what the f***.

by Anonymousreply 86December 8, 2023 10:16 PM

Do you like shit and piss? If you do, youā€™ll love this shit.

by Anonymousreply 87December 8, 2023 10:36 PM

I like that they exist because they give Terry Polo something to do and hopefully keeps her square face away from anything I might want to watch.

by Anonymousreply 88December 8, 2023 10:47 PM

I think itā€™s in bad taste to always dress Lori in stripes

by Anonymousreply 89December 9, 2023 9:47 AM

I enjoyed this meta one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90December 11, 2023 1:13 AM

I saw Christmas Unforgotten today. The main male character was a fashion designer played by Brett Donohue. He was signposted as gay, mostly because of of Donohueā€™s performance, that I was surprised when he tried to kiss the leading lady (a princess with amnesia).

by Anonymousreply 91December 24, 2023 2:03 AM

She comes back from the big city where sheā€™s an astrophysicist and cute meets Wes Bumpkin who drives a pickup šŸ›» ā€¦

by Anonymousreply 92December 24, 2023 8:05 AM

The Christmas of Yes features subplot a gay brother and his cute husband adopting a baby girl.

by Anonymousreply 93December 26, 2023 1:27 AM

yeah, i die laughing watching stuff like that.

by Anonymousreply 94December 26, 2023 1:30 AM

Wes Bumpkin doesnā€™t really have all his marbles and sometimes he has to be cleaned up after he goes, but he has things you big city šŸŒ† people have long ago forgotten about.

by Anonymousreply 95December 26, 2023 11:16 AM

Is there a list of the hot men who appear in them? Some of them are quite wank-worthy

by Anonymousreply 96December 26, 2023 11:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!