Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Random childhood memories

I was born in the very early 80s, so in my childhood many of the items in relative’s houses were leftover from the 60s and 70s.

Many people had that greenish gold textured carpet.

People had those televisions built into the wooden cabinets.

Almost everyone had those old metal canister Electrolux vacuum cleaners. For some reason most of them were blue.

Upholstered sofas with floral designs.

Bathrooms with matching colored fixtures. The bathtub, sink, and toilet were either powder blue, or pink, or avocado.

Kitchen appliances were either mustard yellow or brown.

Hideous, boxy cars.

by Anonymousreply 432December 31, 2023 8:43 PM

The incident when I performed a scene from Flashdance outdoors in the Fun Fountain and my uncle’s reaction and my revenge. I’ve posted the story before.

by Anonymousreply 1November 26, 2023 8:04 PM

[quote] I’ve posted the story before.

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 2November 26, 2023 8:16 PM

I was born in in '72. My grandmother had the exact vacuum you describe. And she had a beautiful set of matching pink furniture she'd bought in 1957 that she didn't allow anyone to sit on.

I had two uncles who were only 15 years older than me, so I spent a lot of time playing with their cast-off 1960s toys. ViewMaster discs with stills from Ray Harryhausen movies, old Peanuts compilation books, and so on.

by Anonymousreply 3November 26, 2023 8:19 PM

As a kid in the 70s I remember commercials really stressing the value and economy of their products. That seemed to go out the window in the 80s when people were encouraged to spend as much money as possible

by Anonymousreply 4November 26, 2023 8:25 PM

Not "mustard Yellow or brown": Harvest Gold or Burnt Orange

by Anonymousreply 5November 26, 2023 8:28 PM

And Avocado

by Anonymousreply 6November 26, 2023 8:31 PM

Oh, I was just thinking about my favorite aunt. In the early '60s she'd come over and always had peppermints, lemon drops and butterscotch candy in her purse.

by Anonymousreply 7November 26, 2023 8:33 PM

R1’s story from another thread:

This is a dirty deed

I’ve told this before in other threads. I was obsessed with Flashdance when I was 8 or 9. My friends and I would pretend we were in the movie while playing in the fun fountain in my yard. One day my uncle is on the patio watching us. He stands up and boos after my Flashdance performance. I was so mad. Later that day I took a shit in his baseball cap that he left outdoors on the patio.

by Anonymousreply 8November 26, 2023 8:33 PM

I was born in 1966. I missed out on all the gorgeous mid-century stuff I assume my older siblings grew up with. By that time I could remember our furniture was early American colonial stuff. Lots of brown and beige, wagon wheels, door knocker drawer pulls, etc. Our "nice" furniture in the living room, which no one ever used and was never sat upon, had a print similar to the linked photo. I thought it was all ugly when I was six, and I still do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 26, 2023 8:33 PM

I was born in 1963. I remember watching TV on a black and white TV set.

by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2023 8:34 PM

R10, I was born in 1961 and we also started out with B&W tvs only. I remember a show was about to begin on NBC and the announcer said "Brought to you in living color" with the peacock spreading its tail feathers. I got all excited and thought we would see color but my older brother had to bring me back down to earth by telling me you had to have a color tv in order to watch a show in color. Sad day, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2023 8:48 PM

What’s “fun fountain”, precious? What’s “fun fountain”?

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2023 8:50 PM

One I've told before. The East 70 drive-in's marquee advertised that they provided In Car Heaters. One week it read:

BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING

IN CAR HEATER

The next week it read:

HOW TO STUFF A WILD BIKINI

IN CAR HEATER

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2023 8:51 PM

As a kid, formica tabletops with chrome bottoms and vinyl chairs were the popular kitchen table set.

by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2023 9:19 PM

What country did you live in, darlings? I don't recognise any of your dear memories.

by Anonymousreply 15November 26, 2023 9:37 PM

I remember visiting my grandfather's house and they had a huge ornate glass and silver ashtray with matching lighter and cigarette box. They had bought it in Spain and it was all silver filigree. All the adults would get a cig out of the box while having martinis. I thought it was terribly glamorous. The women were impeccably coiffed, made up and dressed.

by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2023 9:47 PM

I was a child of the 70s. My grandmom's house had wall to wall carpeting that made me itchy. I have no idea what it was made of, but it felt like laying on an upturned hairbrush. You asked for a random childhood memory, so....

by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2023 9:59 PM

Carpeted bathrooms. What sicko convinced homeowners this was a good idea?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2023 10:13 PM

Our living room furniture had plastic slipcovers - this was the late 60's. It was thick and if you fell asleep on the couch, you would sweat like a hog and be stuck to the plastic when you woke up.

The boys on the block playing with those old toys called tops that were wood and you wound with string and threw onto the ground... you watched them spin.

I went to Catholic school, and the nuns had transitioned to "modern" headwear and clothing - a white band with a scarf part on the back to cover their hair and a knee length plain dark dress. One summer we had a trip to the beach and our teacher was Sister Carol, one of the younger nuns - no more than 30 years old. All of our eyes bugged out when she took off her dress and had a red bathing suit underneath. This was about 4th or 5th grade and it was a shock to see that she was also a woman and not just a nun. It's been a million years and I can still see Sr Carol in the bathing suit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2023 10:30 PM

R 14 I remember Formica . My little sister used to say it’s “for mica” - a person named mica,

Very old. I remember my older sister playing a tape for me on our huge tape recorder ( think last picture show)

“You have to listen . There’s this new group called the Beatles . I taped this from my radio ( transistor ). They’re going to be on the Ed Sullivan show”

My dad had a retail clothing store . He raffled off tickets to the concert in dodger stadium

by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2023 10:31 PM

What does 60 possess?

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2023 10:36 PM

R19 here - This link should show the nun's headgear

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2023 10:36 PM

Watching "March of the Wooden Soldiers" every Thanksgiving on WPIX in NYC. They still show the movie every year, 40+ years later.

by Anonymousreply 23November 26, 2023 10:37 PM

Beating the shit out of the asshole calling me fag

by Anonymousreply 24November 26, 2023 10:45 PM

Going to the beach and my dad carrying the big metal cooler, loaded with ice, soda, sandwiches for the day. Plastic coolers and coolers on wheels didn’t come until much later. It was a long walk from the parking lot to the beach.

I also remember getting sunburned and when I would go to bed with a sunburn, the sheets felt scratchy.

by Anonymousreply 25November 26, 2023 10:55 PM

I am a child of the Mad Men era and we had these gold leaf glasses. I saw them on a Mad Men episode and it brought back such memories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 26, 2023 10:55 PM

R26 we had those too! Not the little caddy though.

by Anonymousreply 27November 26, 2023 11:03 PM

Popcorn balls in colored cellophane..blue, red, and yellow. Lime green popsicles from the ice cream truck. White go go boots. Yellow orange work 🥾 boots. Colored chalk on a black blackboard.

by Anonymousreply 28November 26, 2023 11:07 PM

Mr. Softee Ice Cream truck.

by Anonymousreply 29November 26, 2023 11:08 PM

Sears candy department.

Sears restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 30November 26, 2023 11:16 PM

R23 - when I was a kid in the very early 70s we would go to my mom’s great aunts house in Fort Lee NJ for Thanksgiving. Everyone in that family was a football nut, so there were back to back games on the big wooden console (color - second cousin ran a bank) TV all goddamn day long.

I always hated football so each year I’d decamp to the semi-finished attic where there was a B&W portable with rabbit ears to try to watch “March of the Wooden Soldiers” — but the reception for WPIX was so shitty it was more like two hours of static as I constantly fiddled with the antenna.

by Anonymousreply 31November 26, 2023 11:41 PM

The gold leaf glasses are beautiful. Thanks for reminding me of those, R26.

by Anonymousreply 32November 26, 2023 11:54 PM

R9, that fabric is called toile.

by Anonymousreply 33November 27, 2023 12:10 AM

I am thinking of papering my guest bathroom in this paper, but in sangria.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 27, 2023 12:16 AM

Earliest memory is very random but I probably remember because it was kinda traumatic lol. I was about toddler age, and was upstairs in our house. I think my older brother was supposed to be watching me but he was downstairs. I was out in the hall and attempted to come downstairs. I fell all the way down, luckily the stairs had a thick shah carpeting, so it wasn't too rough but I remember landing at the bottom just as my brother comes running in with an "Oh shit I'm in trouble!"Look on his face 😆

At my grade school the "grand finale" of 6th grade (end of grade school for us at the time) was a weekend campout nearby, lots of cool activities, a dance Saturday night, 6th grade campout was the stuff of lore from older classmates & siblings. Unfortunately, my 6th grade class was so rambunctious and unruly the entire school year, and had racked up a record number of detentions (Several were mine) and suspensions for a single class in a school year, that camp was canceled in lieu of a lame "day camp" that was hosted by our D.A.R.E. officer.

by Anonymousreply 35November 27, 2023 12:42 AM

[quote] thick shah carpeting

Was it Persian?

by Anonymousreply 36November 27, 2023 12:46 AM

What’s “ D.A.R.E.”, precious? What’s “ D.A.R.E.”?

by Anonymousreply 37November 27, 2023 12:46 AM

[quote]Was it Persian?

Well done, r36, I bow to your wit!

by Anonymousreply 38November 27, 2023 12:52 AM

In the 1970's when ALL gasoline stations were full serve- in fact I never heard of that phrase until they all became self serve- and they would clean your front window and sometimes your back window too.

by Anonymousreply 39November 27, 2023 12:56 AM

[quote] would clean your front window and sometimes your back window too.

Is that a euphemism?

by Anonymousreply 40November 27, 2023 1:00 AM

What does 1970 possess?

by Anonymousreply 41November 27, 2023 1:00 AM

We had little cartons of chocolate milk mid-morning in first grade. It was ice cold and so good. We weren't allowed to make that squeaky sound with our straw when we were down to the last drops of milk. I always made the sound with my straw trying to get every last drop of the delicious chocolate milk and then the nun would come over and slap me. I don't know why I was so belligerent.

Also, we sat on the floor in a circle learning to read in those "See Jane Run" readers and we weren't allowed to use our fingers to point/guide us as we read the sentences. I would use my finger sometimes to point to the words as I read the sentences and this little bitch named Seraphina who always sat next to me for some reason would raise her hand and report me to the nun "he's pointing, he's using his finger" and get me into trouble. Whenever I see Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck's daughter Seraphina I am reminded of that little tattle tale bitch.

by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2023 1:04 AM

I remember the mail being delivered in a blue station wagon in the early 1970's and I have vague memories of the mail being delivered twice a day- a few years ago I asked my father about this and he confirmed it was true. Now in my area they no longer even have Saturday mail- oh well.

by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2023 1:11 AM

Ice cold homemade lemon limeade, playing mother may i and statues. Swimming almost daily.

by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2023 1:13 AM

What does 1970 possess?

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2023 1:15 AM

1970-ish, went with my dad to car shop. At the Ford dealer he was looking at a station wagon in the showroom. This was when Ford had the "two-way tailgate" that you could open down like a traditional tailgate or with a different latch open it as a door that opened to the side. At that moment the salesman opened the tailgate in the traditional manner. Little me wondered what would happen if the other latch were pulled at the same time. The whole tailgate came off of the car and if it weren't for the salesman's deft catch, that tailgate would have been mighty damaged.

I also pushed every floor button on an elevator upon entry. Numerous times :)

by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2023 1:21 AM

You were an ass, R46. I hope your father didn’t buy the car.

by Anonymousreply 47November 27, 2023 1:22 AM

Born in the late 70s. I remember the harvest gold appliances in my grandma’s kitchen, the matching floral wallpaper and her little countertop radio. She had copper jello molds hanging on her kitchen walls. My parents had a station wagon where a backwards-facing third row seat flipped up in the back. We loved sitting in that seat, and waving at the cars behind us. Even in the late 70s, we still had a black and white TV (but a color tv in the living room).

We didnt have cable or a remote until the mid-80s, so I remember my dad asking me to get up and change the channel or move the rabbit ears around on top of the television set.

Our living room had wood paneling, one of those huge hanging rope/macrame/wooden bead things, and a hanging wicker lamp like this one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 27, 2023 1:32 AM

Thanks for sharing so many memories. Some of them coincide with mine.

We had a huge color tv/record player/radio console with built-in speakers in the living room while my brother and I had a small B&W set in our bedroom. The telephone was in the corner on the stainless steel kitchen counter bit a 20-foot cord. My dad would get mad if he came into the kitchen and had to straddle the cord.

Itchy rug? My great grandmother had a mohair area rug her living room. Us kids weren’t allowed on her furniture, so we had to sit on that itchy rug. My mom’s stepmother used to leave a butter dish on the table in her kitchen. One day we were visiting her and I went into the kitchen and saw her chihuahua licking the butter. I was totally skeeved out.

The stairs to our basement were covered with linoleum and had metal edges. One day my brother was chasing me and I fell *up* the stairs and lacerated my forehead on the metal edge. Trip to the hospital and six stitches later, I was afraid my dad would spank me. One night our family was watching TV and I was seated next to a window. I was absentmindedly picking at the putty when *boom* the glass fell into the room and shattered on the floor. I started crying and Mom yelled at Dad about how she had asked him over and over to reglaze the windows.

by Anonymousreply 49November 27, 2023 1:58 AM

Going with my mother to the Green Stamps store in Mamaroneck New York ca. 1970 to buy a record player.

by Anonymousreply 50November 27, 2023 2:02 AM

Going with my parents to see the premiere of Superman in December 1978 and going to a variety store ( remember those before CVS sprouted like weeds) and getting a movie theater sized chocolate bar ( really large) like a Nestles Crunch Bar and sneaking it into the movie which all three of us enjoyed. We all enjoyed the movie not the chocolate bar because I ate it ALL myself. I enjoyed both the chocolate bar and the movie.

by Anonymousreply 51November 27, 2023 2:10 AM

Everyday at elementary school we had to stand up and pledge allegience -

I pledge allegience to the flag of the United States Of America and to the Republic for which it stands one nation under God with liberty and justice for all.

I might be leaving some of it out. This is ca. 1975 so I can't be expected to still remember all of the words.

by Anonymousreply 52November 27, 2023 2:12 AM

R52. Stand up and place your right hand over your heart.

My non-American friends are completely weirded out about this practice in American public schools. They still do it today.

by Anonymousreply 53November 27, 2023 2:17 AM

The day I almost set fire our house. I was about 10-11 and was looking for my shoes under my parents bed. I told my mother it was too dark to see under the bed and she gave me a book of matches(!?). I lit one and laid down on the floor - a bunch of threads were unraveled from the box spring and my 10-11 year old self decided to put the match to one. The thread burned and disintegrated. Not finding my shoes, I went to search downstairs. Minutes later, my mother starts screaming from the 2nd floor "fire!!! get some water!!". The bed was on fire! I flew upstairs with a pot of water and my mother was able to stop the fire. That thread I touched was not a good idea. The mattress was trashed and the house filled with smoke.

I never confessed that I had accidentally/on purpose set that fire.

by Anonymousreply 54November 27, 2023 2:23 AM

R53 From what I’ve read, before WWII American students would hold their right arm out with the hand extended. But as this happened to be the exact same “Heil Hitler” gesture that the Nazis used, this was changed after WWII to the “hand over the heart” gesture.

by Anonymousreply 55November 27, 2023 2:23 AM

R 53 — I never heard of that — thanks - I need to google

by Anonymousreply 56November 27, 2023 2:27 AM

“And to the Republic for Richard Stands, one nation under God invisible; with liver, tree and just taste for all”

“and lead us not into Penn Station, but deliver us from evil.”

by Anonymousreply 57November 27, 2023 2:29 AM

My mother dropping me off in a park before driving to the department store to do some shopping. This was ca. 1971 I was about 5 years old.

by Anonymousreply 58November 27, 2023 2:31 AM

Going to the A&P with my mother and she would buy large glass jars of Ann Page Pineapple Preserves and Strawberry Preserves.

by Anonymousreply 59November 27, 2023 2:33 AM

This song playing on a cafe jukebox in Alamosa, CO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 27, 2023 2:33 AM

Op is full of BS…or can’t fathom that for most folks on DL these aren’t random memories, but rather part of the very fiber of their lives.

Lame EST attempt 2/10

by Anonymousreply 61November 27, 2023 2:36 AM

My parents finally got a CD player around 1989-1990ish. I remember the CDs in the longbox packages.

by Anonymousreply 62November 27, 2023 2:38 AM

R61 What is EST?

by Anonymousreply 63November 27, 2023 2:43 AM

One summer day my mother took us to Prospect Park - late 60's, five kids. Somehow my oldest sister (maybe 13 at the time) got separated from the group. Sister was found safe the same day and I don't remember the circumstances of how all this exactly happen as I was very young but I can remember my mothers panic.

by Anonymousreply 64November 27, 2023 2:48 AM

Going to the Sears Roebuck in White Plains NY in October 1977 to shop for winter coats. My mother encouraged me to go with them which was her, my father and my brother. They already had some of the Christmas decorations up. I was sitting in the tv section watching Carol Burnett and Friends which was the syndicated version ( older episodes) of The Carol Burnett Show when I hear this woman with a heavy New York accent say- See I told Ya Havee Koman's a FAG!

It was rather shocking to my 12 year old self- she said it in such a nasty tone. I never told anyone about it. By the spring of 1978 I knew I was queer ( not a word a heard of yet but that's how I felt, I HATED extremely strong attraction to boys. My mother did not end up buying our coats at Sears but at a store called Morsans.

by Anonymousreply 65November 27, 2023 2:51 AM

Those half-globe brushed silver ashtrays mounted in office buildings, often next to the elevator. You were welcome to smoke wherever you liked indoors, just not in the elevator.

Even my college had them and I used them between classes. You'd stub out the cig on top, then press the little lever (here on the left) and the top would separate in two and the butt would fall into the lower chamber.

Anyone under 30 has probably never even seen one, much less knows its function. But they were ubiquitous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 27, 2023 2:51 AM

I completely forgot about those!! ^ They used to be everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 67November 27, 2023 2:54 AM

Several of my relatives had sunrooms on their old houses. Decorated colonial style, winterized at various effectiveness, and with televisions. Venetian blinds. Soap operas were watched during the week and sports during the weekend. There was possibly a den in the house with a TV as well. No TV in the living room or salon. Family rooms didn't exist. When the 70s rolled in and me and my cousins were older, there were basement rec rooms with television, stereo, pool table, darts, foosball, air hockey, pingpong (not all these but a selection), beanbag chairs, unloved danish design furniture, maybe an inflatable sofa. There was no attempt at synthetic design, my New England family existing between monied blue collar aspirational and rich pretentious - both those strata were really into themed decor, which I enjoyed and envied even.

by Anonymousreply 68November 27, 2023 3:10 AM

I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 69November 27, 2023 3:36 AM

Ahhhh…sneaking brandy slush at bitch-face Grandma’s house.

Anyone else’s family make such a ridiculous Christmas concoction? It was basically Slurpee ice soaking in brandy.

by Anonymousreply 70November 27, 2023 3:51 AM

I remember my parents having people over (which was rare). My mom was making daiquiris in a blender and gave me a sip to try. I was probably 10, 12 at most. I thought it was delicious. Yes, I did sort of turn into an alcoholic, but did quit drinking a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 71November 27, 2023 4:02 AM

Around this time of year, I always get this commercial and the music stuck in my head and am reminded of childhood Christmas season excitement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 27, 2023 4:14 AM

R70 My grandmother used to serve what she called "Sneaky Petes," which were made in a blender with ice, (cheap) whiskey, and her home-made lemon-lime mixer. Always with a Maraschino cherry. By the time I was 10, I was asked to make them for everybody. Naturally, I got hammered by the end of the afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 73November 27, 2023 4:18 AM

R65 is a liar. Carol Burnett & Friends did not exist in 1977. That version was created well after the CB show ceased airing in 1978.

by Anonymousreply 74November 27, 2023 4:33 AM

We were having my fathers family over for a dinner party - they were middle class 2nd generation Jamaican folks. My mother decided to be fancy so instead of a "regular" meal with appetizers/snacks and then a meat and a couple of side dishes, she decided on paella of all things, which she never made before. All of us kids had to ask what paella was and I remember thinking "why this stuff?" My mother was always wanting to seem refined. Oh, and she brought sangria to go with it.

i remember feeling embarrassed when I went by the dining room and all of the relatives are sitting around looking dazed with nary a cracker or a chip or pretzel, waiting for this one-pot entree to be served. It seemed like hours looking at them waiting for something edible.

by Anonymousreply 75November 27, 2023 4:42 AM

R75 Haha! That reminds me of the time my sister decided to make Beef Wellington for the first time. She invited my parents and me and her parents-in-law to dinner, which itself was a rarity. (She is the queen of substitutions, btw.) She called us to the table, we sat down, and she placed a platter of what looked like a loaf of bleeding bread on the table.

She cut into it and blood and gooey, unbaked dough oozed out and overflowed the shallow platter. The beef was raw and still cold in the middle. The crust did not bake. She insisted that it was supposed to look and taste like it did. It was a disgusting glob, not that we did not try to eat a bite or two each.

It turns out that she bought a cheap chuck roast instead of a tenderloin, did not sear and cook it first, and did not use puff pastry for the crust.

I wasn't a child when this happened, but still, this memory is seared into my mind.

by Anonymousreply 76November 27, 2023 1:11 PM

I remember visiting my aunt who had what I can only describe as the ugliest furniture on earth which was velveteen with a brownish floral pattern on the cushions and the frame of the furniture was dark brown exposed wood… I still shutter at the thought of such hideous furniture touching my skin.

by Anonymousreply 77November 27, 2023 1:37 PM

^ Oops meant shudder, as you can see the memory is painful.

by Anonymousreply 78November 27, 2023 1:40 PM

[quote]R61: Lame EST attempt 2/10

I don't see how OP can be characterized as an 'Elaborate Scenario Troll', since there's no 'scenario' in his post - just random memories.

[quote]R15: What country did you live in, darlings? I don't recognise any of your dear memories.

These seem like United States memories. I'm more or less familiar with most of them.

Your spelling of 'recognise' is British.

[quote]R53: My non-American friends are completely weirded out about this practice in American public schools. They still do it today.

Hmm. Where I live (North Texas), the practice seems to have ended in public schools after 1973; 3rd grade was the last year I was required to say the Pledge of Allegiance. I graduated in 1982. Perhaps they've resumed saying the Pledge since I was in school.

[quote]R12: What’s “fun fountain”, precious? What’s “fun fountain”?

See link below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 27, 2023 2:11 PM

[quote] this memory is seared

Unlike the chuck roast.

by Anonymousreply 80November 27, 2023 2:17 PM

My parents entertained a lot and I remember sampling the cocktails. My mother did fantastic frozen daiquiris. She tried replicating them once at my request but they were not the same. I suspect the dreaded HFCS in the frozen pink lemonade she used is the culprit.

by Anonymousreply 81November 27, 2023 2:26 PM

It’s called a whiskey sour

by Anonymousreply 82November 27, 2023 2:35 PM

Driving to local soccer practice I was 12 or 13 and my best friend in those years was a rough, but charming and early maturing Polish-American boy. (He was a kingpin in school before HS when the smart kids and richer kids took over.) I knew what his big hard cock and pubes looked liked because we went camping and did sleepovers, and anyway back in those days showers were nude gang showers. Even though we never did anything sexual. So he turns to me and says "you got your cup in?" then winked and grabbed his crotch which seemed gigantic to me with his big hairy junk and cup all in there on his 13yo body. I turned beet red.

by Anonymousreply 83November 27, 2023 2:38 PM

I have cunty Brit blocked. I normally block for good reasons and I suspect this one is one of the Sussex hating BRF stans so, yes, just a troll who should well know it is mainly Americans posting here. Probably that surviving angel creature.

WHET to the "pet" troll who used to troll those threads?

by Anonymousreply 84November 27, 2023 3:10 PM

Junior high physicals. Urinalysis was confusing to some kids. The school nurse told us to “urinate into the container.” My friend Mark clearly didn’t get it so she finally looked at him and said, “Pee in the cup, sonny.”

The “microphone” taillights on my Dad’s boss’s 1956 Imperial. Also the radio in it with a motorized tuner. Not just push buttons - it went looking for the next station on the dial.

Seeing turds floating in the water as we took the tender out to our boat moored in the harbor. There were no holding tanks back then. People just pumped the shit out of the toilets on their boats into the ocean.

My mother on her way to a party in a long black ball gown with a red satin rose on one shoulder. She looked good. I had an eye for fashion when I was five or six years old.

Recovering at home following a tonsillectomy. Post-op care consisted of antibiotics and ice cream and the family doc stopping by to check on me every day.

Lining up with my siblings on Sunday afternoons to talk to our friends on a long-distance call after they moved to Detroit. The rates were cheaper on Sundays.

Riding on the newly built interstate highways. There were never any traffic jams. Everything moved so smoothly. A “Sunday drive” was a thing then - you weren’t going anywhere special - the ride itself was the reason.

The dining car on The Merchant’s Limited, the afternoon train between Boston and New York City. The train left both cities at 4 pm and took four hours back in 1960. A full dinner was $2 or $3, depending on what you ordered.

Ted Williams refusing to give a bunch of us kids his autograph at the Sportsman’s Show. My Dad said he only did it for sick kids, “so be glad you’re healthy.”

Grabbing and tossing my brother’s Mickey Mouse ukulele out the car window when he played it so long and so badly that he annoyed everyone.

Listening to a priest giving the seventh grade boys the sex-ed lecture on a cold, snowy night in February. All the kids in front, all the Dads sitting in the back. When the priest says that instead of masturbating, “You should be outdoors on a night like this shoveling snow” my friend Paul put his hand up and said, “Sounds great, Father, but what do I do in July?”

by Anonymousreply 85November 27, 2023 3:11 PM

My grandfather owned an early 50s Buick Roadmaster Woody which they referred to as the "beach wagon."

by Anonymousreply 86November 27, 2023 3:15 PM

[quote] I have cunty Brit blocked.

Congratulations.

by Anonymousreply 87November 27, 2023 3:55 PM

My earliest memory, maybe - making Christmas cookies with mom and sisters while the Association's "Cherish" played in the background.

Standing next to my sister talking to my grandfather, who was in bed, dying of cancer.

Going to pick wild berries on the side of the road with my mom and siblings....other than Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas, this is the only memory I have of doing something where all of us were together.

My dad taking mom and me to the little bar-slash-restaurant in town. My alcoholic dad would have a pitcher of beer and we'd eat a pizza that was about 70 percent salt, 20 percent sauce and a few slices of pepperoni.

School clothes shopping. Ugh, I hated Toughskins.

Watching soaps with mom and, later, with my friends after school. (It was the 80s and for a time, it was very much A Thing One Did, especially where I lived.)

Watching our old, fat cunt neighbor with the Ann Romano bundt cake haircut stand in her doorway on her Slimline phone, gossiping with other old, fat cunt neighbors.

Summertime, sitting outside with my handsome next door neighbor (think Don Draper, but Italian) and realizing how thrilled I was at seeing the black hair on his chest, as well as the very substantial amount of black hair peeking out of the top of his shorts.

Setting up Christmas eve luminaries in our yard. It was a special ritual we did where I grew up that seems to have gone by the wayside since the 80s.

The excitement of the ice cream truck rolling around.

The excitement of hiking through the woods and, later in fall, the fields.

Stealing corn from said fields to go raiding with in October.....I can still hear the plunkety plunk of corn on the aluminum siding of the houses we got.

by Anonymousreply 88November 27, 2023 4:15 PM

PS in reply to posts about re drinking

My dad was an alkie but he almost never drank at home. BUT my best friend's parents were very much the party couple on the block. There wasn't a day where they didn't make a drink, or have friends over. My parents were very austere, almost Amish, and together they seldom entertained, but what I learned about parties, drinking and entertaining I learned from my friend's parents.

We learned to freshen their drinks as teenagers and while they weren't saying "Bottoms up kids!" to encourage us, the alcohol was well within our reach to make a drink or open a beer if we were so inclined.

I can remember my friend getting a driver's license and going to the State Store (where one bought hard liquor) to pick up his mom's order for the week, and they gave it to him, no questions asked.

(My older siblings never seemed to drink much.....but they were all into pot.)

by Anonymousreply 89November 27, 2023 4:19 PM

R88 those are nice memories. We used to do the Christmas Eve luminaries too. A couple years ago we started making a tradition of it again with our kids. Brown paper bags, a scoop of sand and a tea light candle (we use the battery operated ones now).

It was so nice as a kid to look out the window on Christmas Eve night and seeing the luminaries line the sidewalk

by Anonymousreply 90November 27, 2023 4:52 PM

Having a door-to-door salesman walk into our backyard and then our house, trying to sell my mother some household cleaners, etc. I remember he pulled out an air freshener spray and told us kids to spray it, leave the room and count to five, then go back in and we'd smell the fragrance. We all did it and were amazed. Don't remember if my mother made a purchase from him but I do recall that she had a very stiff smile on her face as she didn't like surprises and being put on the spot like this.

by Anonymousreply 91November 27, 2023 5:31 PM

My brother had hundreds of those small green plastic army men and would spend ages setting them up on the floor in various configurations and then used some random object to bomb them.

by Anonymousreply 92November 27, 2023 5:53 PM

[quote] My brother had hundreds of those small green plastic army men and would spend ages setting them up on the floor in various configurations and then used some random object to bomb them.

He sounds sweet.

by Anonymousreply 93November 27, 2023 6:04 PM

Those gold leaf glasses were free in every box of powdered clothing detergent which is why so many people had them.

by Anonymousreply 94November 27, 2023 6:07 PM

God no, r47. He looked at the Ford but bought the Mercury. Colony Park. And I was warned, do that again to our car and your butt will be the color of a lobster.

by Anonymousreply 95November 27, 2023 7:06 PM

The 80s, when fit, in shape men were seen at our local public swimming pool in Speedos - a look that unfortunately fell out of favor in the late 80s and has never returned to American shores.

by Anonymousreply 96November 27, 2023 7:07 PM

R7- Don’t you mean Pocketbook?

by Anonymousreply 97November 27, 2023 7:16 PM

R97 In that day and age "pocketbook" meant pussy.

by Anonymousreply 98November 27, 2023 7:18 PM

R74- Wrong 😑.

Carol Burnett and Friends premiered October 4, 1972 and was on the air until January 31,1978. It was a syndicated, truncated version of the Carol Burnett Show showing only the sketches.

by Anonymousreply 99November 27, 2023 7:27 PM

My cousin riding her 10-speed over to our house to babysit in the summertime...we would put on a pretend cooking show while making Kraft Mac and Cheese, play games and listen to the radio or watch Video Jukebox on HBO - pre-MTV.

Visiting my grandparents' farm with aunts, uncles, cousins...they would play cards after dinner at the formica kitchen table, while the kids watched Family Feud, That's Incredible, Love Boat, etc. on the "davenport." I think my grandparents were the glue that kept the extended family in contact with each other...when they were gone, it was never the same.

Going into town with grandma and shopping at Ben Franklin or Pamida. I would usually get some crappy toy like a wooden paddle with a rubber ball, or one of those plastic frames with the little metal balls you had to manouver into the right holes.

by Anonymousreply 100November 27, 2023 7:51 PM

What’s your source?

by Anonymousreply 101November 27, 2023 7:51 PM

As if the CB & Friends would go into syndication while the actual CB Show was still a prime time network hit? You must have hit on same lame AI or other crap site…you make little sense.

by Anonymousreply 102November 27, 2023 7:56 PM

Only at the end of the final season ‘77-78, as Wiki makes clear: the comedy sketches of the show were re-edited into freestanding programs; the resulting show enjoyed success for many years in syndicated reruns as Carol Burnett and Friends, a half-hour edition of selected 1972–77 material [but most definitely the syndicated version did NOT start in 1972]

by Anonymousreply 103November 27, 2023 8:01 PM

Do you ever google your childhood home? Mine sold last year and it was neat to see the wood paneling still there (although painted over)

by Anonymousreply 104November 27, 2023 9:15 PM

R88, ugh, your Toughskins reference gave me a flashback of how much I hated them. WTF was up with those hard, built-in knee pads? I guess that’s when kids played outside and were more likely to put the knees out of their jeans. I remember how happy I was to get my first pair of Wranglers in 5th grade.

by Anonymousreply 105November 27, 2023 10:16 PM

Being a four-year-old flower child in the Summer of Love, helping my older sisters paint my mother's old VW van with peace signs and hippie slogans for our drive to San Francisco. Beatles, Stones, The Doors, Aretha Franklin, The Young Rascals, Stevie Wonder on the radio and my first sight of the Pacific Ocean. Dancing in huge circles of people holding hands in Golden Gate Park. Frisbee. Cutoffs. Funny smelling smoke in the air and It's It ice cream sandwiches at Playland-at-the-Beach.

by Anonymousreply 106November 27, 2023 10:19 PM

Let the sunshine in, r106.

by Anonymousreply 107November 27, 2023 10:46 PM

Cussing at the TV when it was announced Dionne Warwick would be liip synching / stealing another performers top 10 hit after the commercial break

by Anonymousreply 108November 27, 2023 11:02 PM

My first 45 rpm record...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109November 27, 2023 11:22 PM

R102- There were plenty of shows that were still on the air that had older episodes in syndication- Laverne and Shirley was called

Laverne And Shirley And Company

Happy Days was called Happy Days Again in syndication. When I was in the 7th grade they would have happy days again playing on the tv in the lunchroom at around 11 am. My lunch period was VERY early in the 7h grade.

by Anonymousreply 110November 27, 2023 11:41 PM

Sixth grade. All the girls from my class went into another classroom and the boys from that class joined us for a filmstrip (whatever happened to filmstrips)? It was time to learn "The Story of Life."

Lots of cartoon drawings of the inside of boys' bodies and girls' bodies and an explanation of how babies were made. There was also a cartoon of a boy showering with a boner and the narrator explained in this weird New England accent how the penis was made up of a "spongy" material and chambers that filled with blood. We were told this was very normal and if it happened to us, ignore it and it would go away.

Later on the playground, we compared notes with the girls. They had an actual educational movie that was sponsored by Modess, and they learned how to put on a pad and belt.

by Anonymousreply 111November 28, 2023 12:14 AM

Yes, I remember MASH being in after school syndication before it ended.

This was when local stations would program the 4 to 6 pm block with shows, because news (theirs and the network's) was 6 to 7, and 7 to 8 was always game shows. Now most areas have one solid block of news from 4 to 6 or 7.

by Anonymousreply 112November 28, 2023 12:55 AM

FFS, Google anyone?

Carol Burnett & Friends, the 30-minute syndicated show comprised of sketches from previous The Carol Burnett Show airings, began airing in Fall 1977 while The Carol Burnett Show (hour long show) was still in production.

by Anonymousreply 113November 28, 2023 1:02 AM

I was born in Xixax, on my mama's farm. My father was a junkie. Und wir war'n sehr arm. My brother was a soldier, by the war in Vietman. My uncle was a spy in the Soviet Union.

by Anonymousreply 114November 28, 2023 1:10 AM

Did he attend one of Mr. Brezhnev's reunions?

by Anonymousreply 115November 28, 2023 1:20 AM

Shitting in the garden

by Anonymousreply 116November 28, 2023 5:54 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 117November 28, 2023 6:57 PM

Whites only drinking fountains. Those were the days.

by Anonymousreply 118November 28, 2023 7:07 PM

My first word was gape

I wouldn’t eat yams after attending a mud truck pull event and seeing piles of shit inside a port-a-potty

by Anonymousreply 119November 28, 2023 7:08 PM

When the teacher brought out Mr. Wiggles

by Anonymousreply 120November 28, 2023 7:15 PM

We lived in a three story house that had a bathroom on the first and top floors. Our bedrooms were on the 2nd floor and our parents furnished us with a white porcelain chamber pot to use at night.

Native NYer who lived through all three of the blackouts. I remember that during the first one, we sat down to dinner by candlelight and dinner was something that tasted weird. Then us kids were sent to bed since there was nothing else to do.

Second blackout took place just as it was getting dark on a summer night. I was in my bedroom as the lights went out and I stuck my head out the window and saw that the whole block was dark and it was not that a fuse had blown in the house. I remember screaming "oh no!" The rest of the night is a blur.

by Anonymousreply 121November 30, 2023 9:23 PM

In the early 70s I remember Denise, a beautiful sultry blonde friend of my parents. She wore her sunglasses in her hair, called everyone darling in her somewhat raspy voice, chain-smoked and drank whiskey, spoke 7 languages, and had traveled the world with her flamenco dancing guitar playing husband, living on a kibbutz for a year. She is for me is the embodiment of the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 122November 30, 2023 9:39 PM

My friends and I rode our bikes for hours and hours through the New England countryside. The adults didn't care how far we went, we were not little snowflakes.

by Anonymousreply 123November 30, 2023 9:57 PM

I threw a big fit in a toy store once when I was told no

by Anonymousreply 124November 30, 2023 11:20 PM

R124, how many weeks ago was that?

by Anonymousreply 125November 30, 2023 11:21 PM

Listen motherfucker, this isn’t AMA

by Anonymousreply 126November 30, 2023 11:22 PM

Water fountains everywhere. We went upstate to Bear Mountain one day and my mother wouldn’t let me drink out of the water fountain because she saw some black kids and was afraid they’d drunk out of the fountain. She wouldn’t let us use a public bathroom either. When I absolutely had to pee she would put toilet paper all over the seat before she’d let me sit down because she was afraid black women had used the toilet.

Can you imagine being such a racist? Her whole family was fanatically, obsessively racist. They were poor white folk, proving LBJ’s famous quote.

by Anonymousreply 127December 1, 2023 3:05 AM

Shitting in the punch bowl

by Anonymousreply 128December 1, 2023 7:34 PM

I'm 60 and I first saw color television in 1968, in my aunt's apartment. The TV was encased in an early American wood cabinet; "The Flintstones" was playing in the background. I had no idea "Wilma" was a redhead. My aunt, whom I loved (she passed away in 2021), always had more money and could afford it. She was my mother's twin sister. We were poorer, but we had the necessities and more modest toys. We didn't own a color TV until 1974. I was envious of my cousin because he had "Legos" but my parents couldn't afford them.

by Anonymousreply 129December 1, 2023 8:00 PM

Fulton Street was the shopping area when I grew up - there were a variety of stores for all income levels. The higher end stores were A&S and Martin's, then it went down to Korvettes, Mays, an Alexanders for a couple years, and Modell's. Lower end was Woolworth's and McCrory's.

If we were good we would stop at McCrory's for a waffle/ice cream sandwich in summer or pistachios (from a heated case) in the winter. Back in those days, pistachio shells were dyed red, and your mouth and hands would be stained the rest of the day.

by Anonymousreply 130December 2, 2023 11:14 PM

"Camping out" in a friends backyard. Campfire and random discussions.

by Anonymousreply 131December 2, 2023 11:26 PM

Sucking Zach’s dick

by Anonymousreply 132December 2, 2023 11:31 PM

October, when we went "raiding" as teenagers.

Which meant throwing corn at houses, soaping their windows and, on Devil's Night, covering cars with TP and shaving cream.

by Anonymousreply 133December 3, 2023 3:50 AM

We had a NuTone Central Vacuum and a NuTone intercom with AM/FM radio, thank you very much. We also had skeleton clocks built into the kitchen and living room walls.

by Anonymousreply 134December 3, 2023 3:56 AM

A neighbor of ours had the vacuuming and intercom systems. Always wondered how they held up over time.

by Anonymousreply 135December 3, 2023 1:50 PM

R134 we had those too. I remember the long long hoses.

by Anonymousreply 136December 3, 2023 2:34 PM

"She wouldn’t let us use a public bathroom either. When I absolutely had to pee she would put toilet paper..."

She'd be surprised who her husband was fucking behind her back.

by Anonymousreply 137December 3, 2023 2:49 PM

R137 or that her husband was probably slurping on some BBC

by Anonymousreply 138December 3, 2023 2:51 PM

[quote] covering cars with TP

What's "TP", precious? What's "TP"?

by Anonymousreply 139December 3, 2023 11:47 PM

R133 We didn't call it "raiding," but we did the same things. Corn fields abounded where I grew up and feed corn was left in the fields until November, or later. We went to the fields and picked ears of it, then got blisters on our thumbs getting the kernels off the cobs. The corn went into old tube socks to carry around.

As for soaping windows, Ivory bar soap was the humane brand to use. It went on less smoothly than others but was easy to wash off. Oily bar soaps like Dove or Lux went on the windows smoothly, but they were a bitch to wash off. If you really hated somebody, you "soaped" their windows with paraffin. Almost every household had some for canning, and that shit needed to be scraped off with a razor blade.

The convenience store/carryout in our town purposefully stocked a lot of bar soap for October knowing damned well it was being used to soap windows. Corning houses and soaping windows started a couple weeks before Halloween, usually when the time changed (which used to be in mid-October) and continued until Halloween night.

In my town, it was all fun and games until one night when I was 14 or 15 years old, some bitter, old widow lay in wait for the kids and, after they corned her house, ran outside and shot at them with a shotgun. That was the end of it for my childhood. It was great fun while it lasted. Such a powerful bonding experience for kids.

by Anonymousreply 140December 4, 2023 12:05 AM

Making book covers from brown paper bags during first week of back to school.

by Anonymousreply 141December 4, 2023 12:17 AM

R140 I agree, it was a good bonding experience.

I was the little sissy in the neighborhood and generally didn't get along with the other kids, but there was a stretch where we were more friendly (if not exactly friends) and that was always a fun bonding thing. Hearing the "plink" of the corn as it hit all the windows and siding was kinda thrilling.

We bonded over that.....and also when we walked by the house of one of the older kids in the neighborhood (probably 18 or 19) and saw her giving her boyfriend a blow job. That was sort of a wide eyed, ooooh moment for all of us.

by Anonymousreply 142December 4, 2023 12:53 AM

For the idiot at R139…he stayed in his room every weekend. Never went to a football game or keg party in high school

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143December 4, 2023 12:59 AM

Doodling on your Pee-Chee folder.

If I remember correctly, the tennis player had a fart shooting out of her ass to lift her aloft, the football players were about to hump each other, and the lead guy in the relay race was holding a bag of money while the two behind were yelling "Stop thief!".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144December 4, 2023 1:00 AM

My parents were horrified to see "(my sister's name) gave (a boy's name) a blow job" on our living room window. Turns out, while my brother and I were out corning and soaping, she blew her boyfriend on the sofa in the rec room in the basement. The basement window were small, but uncovered. lol

Corning was an equalizer experience. The sissies, prissies, jocks, band members – everybody participated. Sometimes our group reached dozens of kids and we pelted the hell out of the high school principal's house. And the cranky old Lutheran minister's.

by Anonymousreply 145December 4, 2023 1:00 AM

r145 = Edie McClurg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146December 4, 2023 1:12 AM

[quote] lol

LoL! :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147December 4, 2023 1:13 AM

Our milkman was named Burt. He wore short shorts as part of his uniform and I can remember running to the service porch when I heard the truck outside so I could check out his bulge as he crouched to set the milk down. I couldn’t have been more than 8 or 9.

by Anonymousreply 148December 4, 2023 2:21 AM

Mmm, milk!

by Anonymousreply 149December 4, 2023 3:34 AM

My big sister taking my brother and I ice skating at Zeckendorf Plaza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150December 4, 2023 3:49 AM

[quote] Our milkman was named Burt. He wore short shorts as part of his uniform and I can remember running to the service porch when I heard the truck outside so I could check out his bulge as he crouched to set the milk down. I couldn’t have been more than 8 or 9.

Hilarious and so cute!

by Anonymousreply 151December 4, 2023 4:28 AM

I went to a school friend’s house and for the first time saw some end tables and a coffee table like this. I thought, “Oh, no no no. No no no no no.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152December 4, 2023 4:58 AM

(to be clear, the end tables were the hexagon type with doors)

by Anonymousreply 153December 4, 2023 5:00 AM

R152, early examples were made of heavy olive wood and had lattice couch and chairs to match. Later models made use of molded plastic!

One of my earliest memories was my mom’s beautiful apricot sleeveless suede slip dress - it was so smooth and simple with a satin lining.

She couldn’t wear it after giving birth to my younger brother. Her arms were too flabby anyway.

by Anonymousreply 154December 4, 2023 5:20 AM

[quote]r154 early examples were made of heavy olive wood and had lattice couch and chairs to match. Later models made use of molded plastic!

I have an illogical hatred for this 70s Mediterranean style. It just LOOKS cheap, even though it’s sturdy as all hell.

One person online was begging for advice on how to maybe salvage some via repainting. She bleated, “I have 2 rooms full of this indestructible crap! Help!!!”

Another person replied that you can sometimes pry the ornate trim off… which at least will leave you with a plainer piece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155December 4, 2023 6:31 AM

Another memory is of the scent of Evening in Paris perfume, worn by my maternal grandmother. I would always get a giggle when she would come to visit and tell my sister how fat she was getting. It made my sister so mad. Once when she was about 14, my sister sassed her back and Grand slapped the shit out of her.

by Anonymousreply 156December 4, 2023 1:44 PM

"Evening in Paris", a classic 50s fragrance. The champagne of drug store brands.

by Anonymousreply 157December 4, 2023 2:54 PM

It smelled awful, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 158December 4, 2023 3:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159December 4, 2023 4:23 PM

Katy Winters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160December 4, 2023 4:37 PM

I might still have an empty Evening in Paris bottle Grand let me have as a child. I thought they were very glamorous!

by Anonymousreply 161December 4, 2023 4:42 PM

the gift set

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162December 4, 2023 4:50 PM

Jean Natè soap sets as gifts to the female schoolteachers

by Anonymousreply 163December 4, 2023 5:28 PM

R145 we egged houses. Corn is for hogs.

by Anonymousreply 164December 4, 2023 6:25 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 165December 4, 2023 6:30 PM

Naugahyde. Kids in shorts always got stuck to it.

by Anonymousreply 166December 4, 2023 7:21 PM

*kathunk*

My great aunt said I was allowed me as much Coke as I wanted (mom stopped me at one) whenever we visited.

It was usually August. The sound of the latch catching on her mammoth refrigerator when I closed the door was, “kathunk!” It was the coldest pop I’d ever had.

by Anonymousreply 167December 5, 2023 1:14 AM

The refrigerator door made a popping sound?

by Anonymousreply 168December 5, 2023 1:20 AM

Getting down on my knees

by Anonymousreply 169December 5, 2023 1:25 AM

When I was about 7, I was playing in the sprinkler and noticed a rainbow. I ran inside the house and came back out with a big spoon because I wanted to dig for a pot of gold. I started digging at the end of the rainbow and hit a rock and a saw a flash of gold. It was an ordinary rock. To this day I wonder what that was about. There were witnesses who still remember it happening so it wasn’t something I imagined.

by Anonymousreply 170December 5, 2023 2:31 AM

Mandela Effect

by Anonymousreply 171December 5, 2023 2:34 AM

DD

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172December 5, 2023 2:42 AM

R43 I don’t remember the mail being delivered in any car. The mailman walked and carried a big leather bag over his shoulder. There were no leash laws and the mailman had to fight off German shepherds and beagles. My best friend’s dad next door was a mailman. They had five kids and the mom didn’t work. They had a fairly large 2-story house. That was the 60’s. (I was born in the late ‘50s.)

I don’t remember anyone in our neighborhood with the shag carpeting, ugly-colored appliances, etc. No one really had that kind of thing. Our house was kind of traditional, somewhat Colonial. But we were in small town New England.

I made friends with a kid because he had color TV. Then his mom would never let us watch it except once a week - I could come over and watch Batman.

I loved being home sick watching daytime TV. All the Anacin, Tide, Playtex and Kraft commercials, the game shows (Concentration, the Price Is Right, Truth Or Consequences, Queen For A Day, Password), the news with Newman...Steve Allen...The Lucy Show reruns.

by Anonymousreply 173December 5, 2023 3:44 AM

* Newman

by Anonymousreply 174December 5, 2023 3:45 AM

* Newman

by Anonymousreply 175December 5, 2023 3:45 AM

(Is the name E-d-w-i-n forbidden on DL? I keep typing it and it keeps getting deleted.)

by Anonymousreply 176December 5, 2023 3:47 AM

[quote] Is the name E-d-w-i-n forbidden on DL?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 177December 5, 2023 3:51 AM

What does 60 possess?

by Anonymousreply 178December 5, 2023 3:51 AM

I was born 1991 and I remember bugs bunny

by Anonymousreply 179December 5, 2023 3:53 AM

Waking up on a winter morning and, before you even opened your eyes, hearing the unmistakable scrape of a snowplow and knowing there would be no school that day.

by Anonymousreply 180December 5, 2023 8:14 AM

“Hey Mediterranean, hold my beer.”

— The Bicentennial

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181December 5, 2023 3:41 PM

“Two Hundred years ago today….”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182December 5, 2023 3:45 PM

Speaking of The Bicentennial, a day I’d been obsessively anticipating for YEARS, July 4, 1976 fell on a Sunday - I couldn’t believe my mother actually made us go to church first. But after church we went to the harbor to watch the Operation Sail parade of tall ships. Then a day long block party barbecue before being loaded back into the station wagons to watch the fireworks that ringed The Battery

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183December 5, 2023 4:02 PM

[quote] Is the name E-d-w-i-n forbidden on DL?

Unfortunately yes, since it's the government name of a hated, mentally ill troll aka Moobs McSeacow.

by Anonymousreply 184December 5, 2023 6:22 PM

Waking up at 5 am on Xmas morning wanting my folks to get up and unwrap presents. Being told I’d have to wait until 7 am. Getting pissed off

by Anonymousreply 185December 5, 2023 7:09 PM

R185, I hope you no longer have these extreme anger issues.

by Anonymousreply 186December 5, 2023 7:14 PM

R186 have you started eating my ass yet?

by Anonymousreply 187December 5, 2023 7:40 PM

Being embarrassed in first grade when I let out a loud fart in the middle of class.

by Anonymousreply 188December 5, 2023 8:39 PM

Ooooh. First grade triggered a memory.

It was raining during recess, so we staying in our classroom. The teacher left the room and a girl (who later was relegated to special education) was standing in the aisle next to my desk. She reached under her skirt and fidgeted, then a small, hard turd fell to the floor. Just then, the teacher came back and told us to take our seats. She began reading to us and walking around the room. She walked up the aisle between desks and noticed the pellet on the floor. She knelt down and picked it up, raised it to her nose, then made a sour face. She walked over and dropped the turd into the trash can, where it landed with a loud “plunk.”

by Anonymousreply 189December 5, 2023 10:03 PM

R185- Dawn Davenport

by Anonymousreply 190December 5, 2023 10:09 PM

R127- I remember going to a rest stop on the highway- it was in either New York State or New Jersey and being in the Men's room and that each toilet stall required a coin to use- those are LONG gone.

I was about 5 or 6 years old in ca. 1971 so I was not driving or going alone mind you.

by Anonymousreply 191December 5, 2023 10:17 PM

I was bullied relentlessly in junior high school by a girl named Tammy. She would come up to me and ask “Are you a fag? I heard you suck men’s cocks,” or “Are you going to the docks after school today?”

The harassment progressed to more physical lewdness, like making obscene gestures and squeezing her bosoms at me. One day I had to stay after school and I guess she must’ve seen me go into the bathroom because she followed me in there and cornered me. I was of slight build and she was a larger girl. Not obese, but just kind of big.

She made me lose my balance and I ended up on the floor with her holding me down and straddling my head. I could see that she wasn’t wearing underwear and I knew what she was about to do, so I told her I would scream. She called me a fag, punched me in the stomach, and ran off. The bullying stopped after that, but she would always give me dirty looks when she saw me.

I was humiliated and ashamed. Fortunately she moved away before we started high school.

by Anonymousreply 192December 5, 2023 11:41 PM

R192, how did she know about the docks?

by Anonymousreply 193December 5, 2023 11:55 PM

R193, it’s a very old joke/insult.

by Anonymousreply 194December 6, 2023 12:32 AM

R168 I wasn't the original poster of that description but old refrigerators had metal hinged doors handle with a spring and when you opened and closed they made a pop like sound.

by Anonymousreply 195December 6, 2023 12:35 AM

We had a Bendix...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196December 6, 2023 12:58 AM

The neighbor girl suffocated in a Bendix that had been left for trash pickup.

by Anonymousreply 197December 6, 2023 1:03 AM

I like the metal high chairs. Something comforting about that mid century design.

by Anonymousreply 198December 6, 2023 1:20 AM

In elementary school in the mid-sixties hearing not the fire drill but the air raid alarm when we had to get under our desks in the 'duck and cover' position for when the atomic bomb hit. I remember thinking 'who wants to survive an atomic bomb?'

Riding in a Ford Country Squire to our cousins' house who had an above ground pool. We'd swim all day, not wear a drop of sunblock because it hadn't been invented yet. Begging our mom for change for Slurpees from the 7-11 where we'd run across 4 lanes of traffic in our bare feet. Coming home sunburned and mom slapping Noxema on our noses and shoulders.

Living in one of the four housing options in an East Coast suburb and thinking 'this isn't it'. Moving cross country to a rural house on five acres thinking it was slightly chic-er but not really 'it'. I think what I really wanted was a penthouse view.

by Anonymousreply 199December 6, 2023 1:27 AM

Four years old. Parents and friends over to see the new house my parents just bought. Night. Rain slamming down, lightning and thunder. No furniture in house yet.

They are all talking in a circle in the foyer facing a large living room. No curtains on windows. The window I am staring at looks out to a dark woods beyond, the eves are dripping.

Outside one window and staring into the house a middle aged woman. White blonde hair shaped like and color like Harlow's, wearing heavy eye makeup, roughe, red lipstick. Uncontrollably sobbing and crying and frighteningly bone dry even though she was standing under a dripping eve, and looking right at me.

She was a ghost.

by Anonymousreply 200December 6, 2023 1:28 AM

We had two cops on our block (calument city) when we moved away.

Years later, I returned to the old neighborhood. I saw both cop wives with blackened eyes and missing teeth.

Was that neighborhood always a mean place or did it get meaner?

by Anonymousreply 201December 6, 2023 1:29 AM

Cops wives often have it bad. We had a neighbor who was a cop, who beat his adopted children. they moved away as soon as they could. He later was caught being a peeping Tom by neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 202December 6, 2023 1:31 AM

[quote] the eves are dripping.

That’s what happened when Thranduil fucked Legolas.

Oh. You said “eves”.

by Anonymousreply 203December 6, 2023 1:33 AM

My father would read the Sunday paper in a living room chair and as he finished a section, he would lay it on the floor. When I was quite young, before I started school, a picture caught my eye. I asked him what it was and he said The Sphinx. He told me it was thousands of years old so I asked him what it was for and he said no one really knows. I was enthralled.

by Anonymousreply 204December 6, 2023 1:50 AM

R204 = Erich von Däniken

by Anonymousreply 205December 6, 2023 1:53 AM

R204 what a better father he could have been.

My father also would read the Sunday paper. …in a living room chair. As he finished a section, he would hand it to me and ask what could I read or what did I see?. When I was quite young, before I started school, I was reading at a level several years ahead of my classmates.

by Anonymousreply 206December 6, 2023 1:56 AM

[quote] We'd swim all day, not wear a drop of sunblock because it hadn't been invented yet. Begging our mom for change for Slurpees from the 7-11

I remember sunblock before I remember Slurpees.

Slurpees were invented in 1966. Who knew they went so far back? I always thought it was an '80s invention.

by Anonymousreply 207December 6, 2023 2:24 AM

[quote] I ended up on the floor with her holding me down and straddling my head. I could see that she wasn’t wearing underwear and I knew what she was about to do

What was she about to do? Piss on you?

Sorry you got bullied so badly.

by Anonymousreply 208December 6, 2023 2:26 AM

One of my mother's friends had a sunken living room, all white + gilt accents, with wall-to-wall deeeeep shag carpet...in BLOODY CRIMSON. Oh, and a painting of Black Jesus.

She had a Shih Tzu, a gift from her son who worked at ARAMCO in Saudi Arabia. Dog was so smart he knew all the words he hated (bath, flea/tick, medicine, doctor/vet) in English AND Arabic.

But what I remember most is that beautiful dog's entire underside was a permanent deeeeep BLOODY CRIMSON, from that horrific, insanely expensive carpet.

by Anonymousreply 209December 6, 2023 3:38 AM

I remember how drinky drinky my best friend's parents were.

It was always a party at their house. They fed me so many nights, always a Coke for us kids. So many nights out at restaurants.

I remember my friend, at 16, being able to pick up their booze order from the state store.

by Anonymousreply 210December 6, 2023 3:42 AM

My friend's parents had separate bedrooms. (They had 8 kids, so they did have sex.) Anyway, the mom had a large, round bed, like Sue Ann Niven.

Fast forward maybe 20 years and I'm working in an after-school program. One of the kids is the daughter of my friend. I asked the little girl: "Does your grandma have a round bed?" The look on her face was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 211December 6, 2023 3:43 AM

R208, she was going to sit on my face. I thought that was obvious.

by Anonymousreply 212December 6, 2023 7:19 AM

[quote]I thought that was obvious.

It wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 213December 6, 2023 3:41 PM

I remember my Green Machine and how much fun it was to ride! I would go real fast and then flip the gears and do a 360° spin out. All the neighborhood kids were jealous because they had Big Wheels!

by Anonymousreply 214December 6, 2023 4:12 PM

Crying when asked to watch little house on the prairie

by Anonymousreply 215December 6, 2023 4:21 PM

Red weirdos

by Anonymousreply 216December 6, 2023 4:27 PM

Having an aerobics party/gathering for me and my plump friends in the 4th grade.

by Anonymousreply 217December 6, 2023 4:29 PM

[quote] Having an aerobics party/gathering for me and my plump friends in the 4th grade.

It didn’t work.

by Anonymousreply 218December 6, 2023 4:32 PM

Writing ex letters to my hot 20 yr old next door neighbor when I was 9 yrs old. Using my parents binoculars to watch him sunbathe on his roof wearing only speedo.

by Anonymousreply 219December 6, 2023 4:34 PM

^^^sex letters

by Anonymousreply 220December 6, 2023 4:34 PM

Hosting pool parties in the summer. Making up conditions for swimming in my pool - no pissing in it

by Anonymousreply 221December 6, 2023 4:39 PM

I remember loving TV. Few channels but there was always something worth watching. I saw some truly excellent movies, because of the limited options. I think I was even more addicted to TV, because my mom disapproved of how much I enjoyed it. Parents were very concerned with how much time your kid spent in front of the TV back then. She was always threatening to take the TV away and occasionally she did! Drove me nuts.

I remember hours spent reading horror comics. My friend who lived across the street from me had a brother with a truly massive collection. The stories were so good! My friend’s house was this huge old Victorian that was always creaking and making old house noises. It would scare the crap out of us after spending the afternoon reading those comics.

by Anonymousreply 222December 6, 2023 4:47 PM

R222 are you a serial killer today?

by Anonymousreply 223December 6, 2023 4:49 PM

Well, yeah.

by Anonymousreply 224December 6, 2023 4:50 PM

[quote] Having an aerobics party/gathering for me and my plump friends in the 4th grade.

FFWOA

Future Fat Whores of America!

by Anonymousreply 225December 6, 2023 4:54 PM

[quote] My big sister taking my brother and I ice skating

Oh, dear.

The most surprising thing about this sentence is that Rupert didn’t write it.

by Anonymousreply 226December 6, 2023 4:54 PM

R221, I wish I’d thought to make my childhood pool guests take B vitamin pills before swimming. I know those sneaky bastards were peeing and lying 🤥

by Anonymousreply 227December 6, 2023 4:55 PM

In the 70s, before cable was available in my area, the local PBS station was the only place to find movies without commercials. I remember my mother and I watching "Night of the Hunter" on PBS one Saturday night. It's still one of my favorite movies.

by Anonymousreply 228December 6, 2023 5:17 PM

R228’s mother used to refer to those Saturday night movie watching sessions as The Nights With the Iguana.

by Anonymousreply 229December 6, 2023 5:21 PM

That's a standard rule, r221.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230December 6, 2023 5:35 PM

[quote]The most surprising thing about this sentence is that Rupert didn’t write it.

No, Greg, I did. I realized my error right after I hit post.

by Anonymousreply 231December 6, 2023 5:43 PM

Having my first crush on my 5th grade teacher, Mr. Kisebach. He was not a looker, he was kind of balding, slightly pudgy and wore glasses, but he was the first male teacher I had after years of having nuns as teachers. He used big words like "erudite" and explained their meanings, and that was wonderful to me, as I loved learning new things.

by Anonymousreply 232December 6, 2023 6:04 PM

Pretending I was Olivia Newton-John on stage singing to my husband Matt

by Anonymousreply 233December 6, 2023 7:30 PM

when i was 4 my grandma told me to get dressed to go out for lunch, i misheard her and sprinted back into the kitchen butt naked. threw my arms up and yelled "ta-da!'

by Anonymousreply 234December 6, 2023 7:35 PM

Yes, we all did our time singing into a hairbrush, I’m sure!

by Anonymousreply 235December 6, 2023 7:38 PM

^^ re: r233

[quote]Pretending I was Olivia Newton-John on stage singing to my husband Matt

by Anonymousreply 236December 6, 2023 7:39 PM

[quote]Yes, we all did our time singing into a hairbrush, I’m sure!

I was Cher. "I've Got You Babe" / "All I Really Want to Do" Cher.

by Anonymousreply 237December 6, 2023 8:26 PM

This

Which I LOVED.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238December 7, 2023 3:32 AM

I was in first grade in the fall of 1962 in the DC suburbs. The Cuban Missile Crisis happened in October of that year. Looking back on it, I can’t imagine how frightened my mother must have been during those Missile Crisis days, sending me off to school with the threat of nuclear war at any moment. I remember her telling me that, if there was an “emergency” – the word she used, never “war” – I must stay at school, not try to come home, and she or Dad would come to get me. That was what parents were told to tell their kids, and it must have taken guts for my over-protective and nervous mother to give me that instruction.

I also remember her taking canned goods and things down to the basement of our house in case of “emergency”, while my father helped but was very quiet. He knew. Eight miles from the White House in the days of 10 megaton bombs. No chance at all.

by Anonymousreply 239December 7, 2023 9:05 AM

Fingering my pussy at the Dairy Queen. Come on, pucker up!

by Anonymousreply 240December 7, 2023 12:40 PM

Me, Mom and my older sister gathering around the TV watching Colombo, Mannix, Barnaby Jones, McCloud, Cannon, Ellery Queen, MacMillan & Wife, etc.

Do you'll see a pattern?

by Anonymousreply 241December 7, 2023 1:47 PM

R241 you were all women?

by Anonymousreply 242December 7, 2023 2:20 PM

One summer, the local TV station played Dark Shadows every weekday afternoon. We loved the show. The character Barnabas made quite an impression on us. We amused ourselves by calling out his name in a ghostly manner.

by Anonymousreply 243December 7, 2023 2:56 PM

R243 refers to his multiple personalities as “we”.

by Anonymousreply 244December 7, 2023 6:59 PM

When our neighbor drove his big paneled station wagon around and Mr. Wiggles came out to play.

by Anonymousreply 245December 7, 2023 8:52 PM

Really dramatic nelly boy moved into my neighborhood. Claimed to see ghosts that I later realized were just famous old movie stars he had seen on the Teevee. Didn't believe him, by the way, at the time.

by Anonymousreply 246December 7, 2023 9:03 PM

Bloody Mary came to me.

by Anonymousreply 247December 7, 2023 9:20 PM

When I’d go over to a friend’s house for a sleepover, I’d bring my pajamas and toothbrush in a paper grocery bag.

I don’t do this today.

by Anonymousreply 248December 7, 2023 11:28 PM

You use a 5 cent sack from Kroger’s

by Anonymousreply 249December 7, 2023 11:46 PM

The phone, rotary, sitting on a table with a chair attached to it. Not sure if there was a name for such a piece of furniture, designed strictly for use with a corded landline.

And the phone was always in the foyer. There was only one in the whole house.

My parents avocado green sectional with a lazy Susan in the middle, filled with booze. We used to take the bottles out and stuff my sister in it, then spin it around..

by Anonymousreply 250December 8, 2023 1:03 AM

R183 Which harbor?

by Anonymousreply 251December 8, 2023 2:38 AM

R250 We had one of those phone tables. But we didn’t have a foyer.

by Anonymousreply 252December 8, 2023 2:39 AM

r250 it was called a gossip bench or telephone table

by Anonymousreply 253December 8, 2023 4:29 PM

You’re all a bunch of liars!

by Anonymousreply 254December 8, 2023 4:30 PM

Scandinavian Designs still sells one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255December 8, 2023 4:34 PM

We had a dry sink in the foyer.

by Anonymousreply 256December 8, 2023 4:35 PM

Cool! Thanks r253, r255

by Anonymousreply 257December 8, 2023 4:39 PM

We had Connie Stevens’ spread legs in the foyer. Repeatedly.

She was a neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 258December 9, 2023 12:14 AM

R250 Why would you have the only phone in the house placed in the foyer? You must have lived in a warm climate.

by Anonymousreply 259December 9, 2023 2:36 PM

[quote] Why would you have the only phone in the house placed in the foyer? You must have lived in a warm climate.

R259, and in a one-story house.

by Anonymousreply 260December 10, 2023 8:54 AM

One night I woke up and folded all the blankets and towels..In the living room...Then barged into my dad's room to ask if he wanted ketchup...Also...one night I called 911 and had a conversation with the dispatcher because I was alone.....Eventually down the road I was stoned outta my mind because my dad sold weed and would have gatherings where I would just be hanging out with the windows closed....this was the 80's....I have a to of stories

by Anonymousreply 261December 10, 2023 9:13 AM

My grandparents only had one phone in their small ranch-style house, which was a black rotary wall phone which for some reason was located at the end of the bedroom hallway with a chair underneath it. Grandma loved to talk on the phone with her lady friends and she’d go running to the phone from the kitchen whenever it rang. It’s a wonder she ever got anything cooked at all.

Sometime in the late 70s the government, I guess it was, started allowing people to buy and use their own phones rather than having to lease them from Bell Telephone. I remember the telephone display at Ayr-Way (which became Target) as something new and marvelous. My dad got one for grandma and installed one in the kitchen for her so she didn’t have to do the 100 yard dash to get her church gossip fix.

by Anonymousreply 262December 10, 2023 10:03 AM

The smell in cars with all vinyl interiors after being in the sun.

by Anonymousreply 263December 10, 2023 10:29 AM

In the summer, going to the grocery with Mom for weekly shopping. Filling the cart up with pop tarts and popsicles and thinking she'd never notice. Mom arranging her coupons in the checkbook before she paid, then ordering me to 'put that back!' when she saw the junk I had. Instead the cashier would laugh and put it aside.

Baseball cards - getting them off the Ice Cream truck. That awful, stale gum we still ate.

Swimming - jumping in the water, cold for a few seconds and then just the best feeling, having to skim the pool to get the leaves out.

by Anonymousreply 264December 10, 2023 10:52 AM

UK here. I remember when the currency was decimalised, and I had a new five pence coin to buy sweets with.

by Anonymousreply 265December 10, 2023 11:21 AM

When I was growing up, about until I was a freshman in college, my family had GOBS of money. Then my dad lost it all. Anyway, now that I'm a poor, I remember all the stuff I used to have and do. The best memories are the times spent at our summer house in North Eastham, Cape Cod. Tennis courts and lessons. The swimming pool. A three story, 7 bedroom house on 30 acres. Private school. The list goes on and on. Sometimes I'll drive by our old house, really slow, get a little sad, and curse whoever lives there now. I'm sad and pathetic I know.

by Anonymousreply 266December 10, 2023 11:27 AM

Hotels during road trips that had magical stars on the ceiling. Also known as popcorn ceiling with glitter.

by Anonymousreply 267December 10, 2023 11:35 AM

R255 R257 Ours wasn't a backless thing, it looked about like this - a chair with a phone table attached.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268December 10, 2023 2:29 PM

You put the phone books on the shelf underneath.

by Anonymousreply 269December 10, 2023 2:29 PM

Another one. I actually remember we had a phone like this (but I think without a dial. You had to call the operator. I don't actually remember it but saw it in photos of when I was maybe 3 or 4. My mom eventually moved the phone (and got one of those yellow dial ones) into the kitchen. Easier to hear from the back yard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270December 10, 2023 2:37 PM

Phones were put where the phone line entered the house, so often they were in an odd corner of the back or the front if that's where it entered the house. Our's was in the back in the "breakfast room" off the kitchen. The opening of the "Donna Reed Show" famously had Donna breezing down the stairs to answer the phone--it was in the living room of a 2 story house, next to the stairs. My first apartment, a 1920s building had a wall unit in the kitchen which probably was the easiest place to wire through several tiers of apartments. My grandmother, who lived in a similar kind of building had hers next to her small kitchen in the dining area.

Getting an extension phone was extra and a bit of a luxury for many years. Once you could buy phones, it became popular to have multiple extensions, with people adding the wiring or hiring someone to do it.

by Anonymousreply 271December 10, 2023 2:47 PM

You had a book of phones?

by Anonymousreply 272December 10, 2023 2:49 PM

R271 Yes, and set of TVs.

by Anonymousreply 273December 10, 2023 2:54 PM

[quote] The opening of the "Donna Reed Show" famously had Donna breezing down the stairs to answer the phone--it was in the living room of a 2 story house, next to the stairs.

That's exactly where our was, until my parents switched to the yellow wall phone in the kitchen (next to the breakfast nook).

by Anonymousreply 274December 10, 2023 2:58 PM

I also remember sitting in the breakfast nook which had a window on the end, and my mom asking me, "Did the garbage man come yet?" The garbage man wasn't the same as the trash man (or men). The garbage man came and emptied the garbage pail, which fit in an underground metal thing with a flip top (see photo). This was before most people had what my parents called a "garbage dispose-all" in the sink drain. Also, you could not put garbage in your trash. This was also before plastic trash bags.

From the article:

Today, we use words like trash, garbage, refuse and rubbish interchangeably — but in Leydon’s day, garbage meant garbage.

"This is not going to be news to anybody over a certain age, but no civilized person would throw their garbage in the rubbish," he explained.

Rubbish was dry trash that would be tossed in metal pails for curbside pickup — much like today. Garbage, on the other hand, consisted of food scraps and organic material — all that gross wet stuff. And it was the garbage — specifically — that these receptacles were designed to keep hidden away until it could be dealt with.

Me again:

The main trouble was that maggots would get into the trash can, once in a while. I remember my mom going out with a kettle of boiling water to kill the maggots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275December 10, 2023 3:06 PM

(The can and lid usually looked a lot better than the one in the picture, which is out of use and old.)

by Anonymousreply 276December 10, 2023 3:09 PM

R273 was it a matching set?!

by Anonymousreply 277December 10, 2023 3:13 PM

When I was a kid I was fascinated with all the different service people who came to the house (we were just regular lower middle class, I guess). The mailman, the milkman, the trash men, garbage man, the guys who fixed the wires (in those days they climbed the poles), the guys in the street sweeper, the guy who delivered bread, the man who rode a bicycle with a box on the front, who sharpened knives. The door-to-door salesmen (encyclopedias, bibles, other goods), the Avon lady, the guys who delivered pop in a wooden case, the Seventh-Day Adventists, the guy in the pharmacy delivery car, the kids selling magazines, the Girl Scouts, people collecting for the Heart Fund, Cancer Society, etc.

by Anonymousreply 278December 10, 2023 3:17 PM

We had to separate paper trash which we'd burn in the incinerator.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279December 10, 2023 3:24 PM

R279 was a very bad seed.

by Anonymousreply 280December 10, 2023 3:27 PM

R279 We couldn't have incinerators, for some reason (illegal).

A lot of people did have those brick or stone backyard barbecues, though. Left over from the 50s, I think.

by Anonymousreply 281December 10, 2023 3:29 PM

I remember when you had to call the phone company to send someone over to install a phone, and once installed it was there for good. For the longest time, we had one wall phone in the kitchen. Then my parents got a second phone installed in their bedroom, and that was when the phone repairman installed modular phone jacks in every bedroom and the den. After that, we purchased cheap carshaped novelty phones and transparent plastic ones with neon lights from RadioShack and plugged them in.

by Anonymousreply 282December 10, 2023 3:42 PM

Visiting my unmarried grandfather in NH with my two sisters for the weekend without our parents. He took us on a drive and pulled over on a lone highway road abutting a very steep hill so we could use our new sleds in the newly-fallen snow.

We trudged up the steep incline again and again to literally come flying down to the bottom until we we were exhausted and the sun was going down. I cannot recall ever again being so satisfied with my day.

by Anonymousreply 283December 10, 2023 3:59 PM

Spinning like Wonder Woman in my front yard to get attention. Flipping off the old man across the street.

by Anonymousreply 284December 10, 2023 4:10 PM

Playing board games with my friends on a rainy summer day.

by Anonymousreply 285December 10, 2023 4:53 PM

Caroms!

by Anonymousreply 286December 10, 2023 5:01 PM

Stratego!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287December 10, 2023 5:04 PM

Stratego was fun.

by Anonymousreply 288December 10, 2023 5:06 PM

Lite Brite

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289December 10, 2023 5:06 PM

X-rated Candyland

by Anonymousreply 290December 10, 2023 5:06 PM

R278, and don't forget the doctors who made housecalls.

by Anonymousreply 291December 10, 2023 5:06 PM

Old St. E’s —I had on overnight stay in the children’s ward at 4 years old…a hernia operation. My oldest firm memory. My parents snuck in orange soda for me, and my room looked out over the trees. I can still remember a little girl with second-degree burns on her neck/arm…it looked sorta like pizza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292December 10, 2023 5:09 PM

R292: I had a hernia repair (along with a tonsilectomy) and shared a room with a child who'd had severe burns, as well. I was 5 1/2 The poor kid cried all the time--it was a sad experience. I didn't eat much of the food and lost weight even though I was only there for a week. They had the old stapled dressing which was painful to remove. My mother did all the right stuff--read me a book about being the hospital, let me know that some of the staff would be different from us (not white--we lived in a lily white suburb), but nothing could prepare me for the boy with the burns. He didn't seem to have many visitors. Sadly, my mother died a month later.

by Anonymousreply 293December 10, 2023 5:38 PM

Sounds like me, except for that lousy ending. Sorry.

Are you my Single White Female?

by Anonymousreply 294December 10, 2023 5:41 PM

P.S. to this day, I wonder how I got a hernia at four? 🤠

by Anonymousreply 295December 10, 2023 5:43 PM

R288 It was da’ bomb—as the kids say today ;)

by Anonymousreply 296December 10, 2023 5:45 PM

Phones used to be hooked up in the foyer. I lived in an Edwardian apartment in San Francisco. In the entry area, there was a small nook or alcove where the phone used to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297December 10, 2023 5:47 PM

^ My aunt had a telephone nook with a white Princess phone.

by Anonymousreply 298December 10, 2023 5:56 PM

R291 That was a few years before my time, actually. One time I was out sick from school for almost three weeks, though, and the teacher stopped by to see how I was doing.

I remember photographers used to come to people's houses to take pictures of the kids, rather than your always having to go to the studio.

In general, there were more people coming to the house.

And - people used to always visit without calling. My mom always had to keep the house looking good. Then again, she didn't work when I was growing up. On weekends, especially, people just always used to drop in. I also remember a huge party my parents had - the only big one they really ever had, that I can recall - inviting all the neighbors, old friends, relatives. I remember helping my mom put up those plastic colored covers for the lights strung around the yard.

by Anonymousreply 299December 10, 2023 5:57 PM

I remember being on vacation near Traverse City when I first started puberty. We went to the local drug store. I saw a Playgirl magazine on the magazine rack. I knew what that meant. I surreptitiously looked inside it and saw a nude black man with a heavy bush leaning on a piano. I quickly closed it, fearing someone would see me. Little did I know it was NFL Hall of Famer Jim Brown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300December 10, 2023 6:06 PM

Soap box derby

by Anonymousreply 301December 10, 2023 6:15 PM

I had to have my urethra enlarged when I was a very little kid, very painful. In retrospect all they needed to do was just cut the the opening at the tip just a bit more. Anyways, shared same room as kids getting tonsils removed. The odd thing back then is even something as simple as that kids under age were not allowed to visit in the room. Remember looking at my older sisters throw a door window down the hall. And adults has something like 15 minutes. Forget about the idea of someone sleeping in a chair near by.

by Anonymousreply 302December 10, 2023 6:23 PM

[quote] The odd thing back then is even something as simple as that kids under age were not allowed to visit in the room.

I remember my younger sister having a surgery and not being able to go into her room (as a child). Her room was on the ground floor and I looked at her through a window. Sometimes, that memory seems more like a dream than reality.

by Anonymousreply 303December 10, 2023 6:46 PM

Who in the hell wants a bunch of screaming kids visiting sick people in the hospital anyway?

by Anonymousreply 304December 10, 2023 6:49 PM

Back in the 70's, there was "the soda truck". It was an open, rickety truck with shelves full of bottles of soda in crates. The truck would drive slow and you'd hear the hundreds of the glass bottles tinkling against each other. The picture I found could be the truck that would roll through the neighborhood.

The truck had regular customers who would get deliveries to their home - usually Saturday afternoons. The driver would stop and a kid of about 15-20 would be riding on the back; he'd hop down and pull out a number of bottes or a case of whatever the customer had requested. I remember me and my siblings being envious because my cheap father would NEVER allow such a luxury. Finally, we got together and saved our allowances and were able to purchase a few bottles of soda from this truck. We felt like ballers for the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305December 10, 2023 6:50 PM

I remember having a milkman, a Home Pride Bakery truck, and the Fuller Brush man. There was also a blind man who went door to door selling brooms.

by Anonymousreply 306December 10, 2023 7:27 PM

Helms Bakery Truck

Sparkletts Water Delivery

Alta-Dena Dairy milkman

by Anonymousreply 307December 10, 2023 7:49 PM

I was the only kid in my neighborhood who didn't have my tonsils out and there were a lot of kids. I believe that they all weren't necessary.

by Anonymousreply 308December 10, 2023 7:54 PM

R306 want you being gay enough home pride?

by Anonymousreply 309December 10, 2023 7:58 PM

^^Wasnt

by Anonymousreply 310December 10, 2023 7:59 PM

[quote]Fuller Brush man. There was also a blind man who went door to door selling brooms.

Yep, mom always on the look out for the Fuller Brush man. Brooms always sold by the blind. I wonder now if that was just a shtick. The guy cheeped me out so maybe that's how he got his jollies. Telling all these house fraus he was blind. Handicapped people were still expected to worked back in those days, so maybe it was true.

by Anonymousreply 311December 10, 2023 7:59 PM

I remembered a little girl I went to elementary school with whose name was Shannon. She had cancer and her mom had her wear a bonnet to school to hide the fact that she lost most of her hair from chemo. Her mom also made her sister who was a year older wear a bonnet as well, and would pass both daughters off as "Little House on The Prairie" fans as to not make Shannon stand out among her classmates. I felt bad for Shannon, but I thought it was wrong of her mom to force the sister to wear a bonnet too. The song "Shannon" by Henry Gross would play on AM radio and it made me think of her. Several years later as I was visiting a graveyard in my hometown I stumbled upon Shannon McKinney's grave.

by Anonymousreply 312December 10, 2023 8:00 PM

R308 Me too. Was just talking about this with a co-worker on Friday. Almost all my friends had their tonsils out. It's interesting because most people in town went to the same doctor. I didn't go to that doctor, I went to my parents' doctor in the city they were originally from. However, I did end up getting tonsillitis when I was around 28. It was horrible. Still have the tonsils, though.

by Anonymousreply 313December 10, 2023 8:03 PM

Fingering myself alone in the moonlight

by Anonymousreply 314December 10, 2023 8:04 PM

Nobody has their tonsils out, anymore.

by Anonymousreply 315December 10, 2023 8:20 PM

Just read this:

"Even though tonsillectomies are somewhat less common today, surgeons in the U.S. still perform over 500,000 procedures every year."

by Anonymousreply 316December 10, 2023 8:30 PM

Turning tricks so I could afford to go to Cony Island with my church youth group.

by Anonymousreply 317December 10, 2023 9:28 PM

You couldn’t afford to buy a vowel—could you? You gave lousy blowjobs!

by Anonymousreply 318December 10, 2023 9:31 PM

R317 what would you do?

by Anonymousreply 319December 10, 2023 9:53 PM

Snow days. We'd get out our sleds or flying saucers and slide down a steep hill and walk back up and slide down again, over and over. There wasn't a fat kid among us.

by Anonymousreply 320December 10, 2023 9:57 PM

R320 Why don't kids still do this (or do they)?

by Anonymousreply 321December 10, 2023 10:05 PM

Climate change!

by Anonymousreply 322December 10, 2023 10:07 PM

Watching Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color on Sunday nights.

by Anonymousreply 323December 10, 2023 10:41 PM

When it started snowing on a school night and you still had to do your homework - just in case. The endless list of school closures announced on the radio in the morning as you waited to hear if yours was on it.

One morning, when I was about 11, there had been a decent, but not overly deep snowfall the night before. At breakfast I asked my mom if the school was closed, and she smiled and said "No, but you're not going anyway." She took my sister and me to the local sled hill at a golf course and, since school was open, we were the only people there -- we sledded for hours. It was a wonderful day and is a wonderful memory.

by Anonymousreply 324December 10, 2023 11:20 PM

I remember begging my mom for a quarter to ride the little rides outside the grocery store. What happened to those?

by Anonymousreply 325December 10, 2023 11:21 PM

R321 Technology has made them sedentary is my guess.

by Anonymousreply 326December 10, 2023 11:22 PM

R324 what a wonderful memory for you. Done times those random, unexpected adventures can be out most cherished and memorable

by Anonymousreply 327December 10, 2023 11:52 PM

R 325..They have them outside some stores still. 99 cents only in Central CA. As a kid, I remember gumball machines right next to those rides…

by Anonymousreply 328December 10, 2023 11:59 PM

I found an old beat up dildo on the ground when I was 10. I ran right home and shoved it up my ass.

by Anonymousreply 329December 11, 2023 12:01 AM

An older neighbor with arthritis had all kinds of deliveries--Omar Bread Bakery (I think they were semi-national), Jewel Tea (related to the Chicago grocery chain but in many other places--sold dry groceries and cleaning items), Cook Coffee (a local version of Jewel), and any number of dairies. My guess is that she would do some sort of introductory promotion, because the dairy kept changing and Omar, Jewel, and Cook Coffee weren't there all the time.

Avon didn't show up unannounced around us--usually people sold it in their workplaces or among friends. We had a neighbor who was a high volume "Avon lady" who had friends in all kinds of places. Fuller Brush did show up (usually around dinner time). My mother shooed them off with gusto. The encyclopedia sales people usually relied on personal networks and referrals--we never had them come by. One of my teachers sold World Book on the side--not a great teacher but she knew how to sell those encyclopedias. People would sell magazine subscriptions--for charities, Boy Scouts, schools, etc. People would drop-by---relatives who happened to be in the area, neighbors, etc. People used to live closer to more family and know their neighbors, so it was not always an inconvenience.

by Anonymousreply 330December 11, 2023 12:03 AM

"The Wizard Of Oz" would be televised one night a year on CBS. Mom would set out a big bowl of potato chips and a bowl of pretzels and we'd sit on the floor in front of the tv drinking our Brookdales soda. My father would sit in his recliner and annoy us by asking stupid questions about the movie (which he did every year), and before it was over, we'd all have a bowl of ice cream. Then it was off to bed because the event always happened on a Sunday night and there was school the next day.

by Anonymousreply 331December 11, 2023 2:28 AM

When I was 7 (1973), I started getting an allowance. My dad called me into the kitchen and explained that every Friday would be my payday and I would get 35 cents a week to spend however I wanted. He then made himself a cocktail and poured me a 7-up.

by Anonymousreply 332December 11, 2023 3:46 AM

My grandpa took a job delivering magazines - he would drive around and they were hung on the door in plastic bags. When it got to be winter I got roped into helping him, so I would have to go up the icy driveways and steps to hang these stupid magazines. And he would give me a lousy dollar a day for helping him.

by Anonymousreply 333December 11, 2023 4:17 AM

We never got an allowance. I started working when I was a teenager, cleaning vacation rentals and houses.

by Anonymousreply 334December 11, 2023 4:19 AM

[Quote]35 cents a week

r332 you must be joking.

by Anonymousreply 335December 11, 2023 10:01 AM

I hate the heat. I don't take it well. Even when I was a kid. One day it was extremely hot in September. My mom came and picked me up from school. Said she forgot I had a dentist appointment. I got in the car and she said "no dentist, we're going for rootbeer floats then to sit by the lake in the shade." I'd give everything I have for five more minutes with my mom.

by Anonymousreply 336December 11, 2023 10:26 AM

R336 I get you. My mum used to pick me up from school.om Monday afternoons and take me shopping and get a burger. I miss her very much

by Anonymousreply 337December 11, 2023 11:39 AM

Little House on the Prairie, Monday nights, the whole family. Without fail God we loved that show.

by Anonymousreply 338December 11, 2023 11:43 AM

My mom would make me wait alone in the heat during the first few weeks after school. All of the kids, bussed, teachers had left and then there would be my mom coming in her olds 98. She’s say something like I was on the phone. Then she’d drive to the grocery store and hand me a list along with cash or a signed check. After buying stuff we’d go home where I could decompress for a bit

by Anonymousreply 339December 11, 2023 12:28 PM

I remember my mum driving by school to show off her latest perm (her hairdresser was just around the corner). It was the early 90s and perms were super popular!

by Anonymousreply 340December 11, 2023 1:37 PM

In the 90s? Where?

The outer Hebrides?

by Anonymousreply 341December 11, 2023 2:41 PM

^l totally rocked a spiral perm, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 342December 11, 2023 6:38 PM

And if questioned, ,she would tell anyone who asked she just wanted her little homosexual son to see her 'do first.

by Anonymousreply 343December 11, 2023 6:38 PM

Haha R343 maybe!

by Anonymousreply 344December 11, 2023 6:50 PM

When I was 11 I told my parents I was ready for some action and needed satisfaction. I let them know that I was growing up and needed to have fun with boys. I probably wasn’t going to be spending every evening at home playing video games or tv. I was gonna get some fun.

by Anonymousreply 345December 11, 2023 10:32 PM

I wish I had known you, then!

by Anonymousreply 346December 11, 2023 10:47 PM

My brother and I used to take turns blowing into the tube so Dad could start the car.

by Anonymousreply 347December 12, 2023 12:50 AM

"quick like a bunny". That's what my mom used to say when we were in a hurry or we were moving to slow. Even when she was exacerbated she couldn't be anything but sweet. 🐰

by Anonymousreply 348December 12, 2023 2:08 AM

I think you meant exasperated, not exacerbated.

by Anonymousreply 349December 12, 2023 2:10 AM

HI mom!

by Anonymousreply 350December 12, 2023 2:13 AM

Charles Chips. And for a moment didn't Charles Chips also deliver Entenmanns?

by Anonymousreply 351December 12, 2023 2:15 AM

My mother putting black pepper in my mouth after I used a naughty word.

by Anonymousreply 352December 12, 2023 2:19 AM

R17- You used a word that makes me CRINGE 😬

Grandmom

You can’t say instead grandmother 👵

Or at least Grandma

by Anonymousreply 353December 12, 2023 2:24 AM

A friend who grew up in Liberia, roughly my age, got the same advice I did as a child in the 1950's: always wear clean underwear because you might get hit by a bus.

At the age of 7, she said, it had also occurred to her - as it did to me - that had either of us been hit by a bus, shitting our pants would probably be the least of our problems.

by Anonymousreply 354December 12, 2023 3:21 AM

R281, incinerators weren’t allowed in our neighborhood, either, but everyone burned their raked leaves in the fall when I was very young. The air would smell so strongly of burning leaves on weekend fall days that it’s still an evocative smell to me. The county outlawed this practice sometime in the mid- or late ‘60s, I think.

by Anonymousreply 355December 12, 2023 9:30 AM

When we moved into the house where I grew up in 1962, we got a visit from the Welcome Wagon lady. I don’t remember much about the visit except my mother saying she had given us some coupons and a map marked with local shopping landmarks.

Apparently, this practice continued until 1998 (!), although I don’t remember receiving any such visits or “gift baskets” with any of moves I made as an adult in the ‘80s and ‘90s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356December 12, 2023 9:39 AM

R321, yes, they still do. Kids going sledding is a regular feature on the local news when it snows. However, I suspect they are sledding in places carefully pre-approved for safety, always with adults right there watching over them. When I was an older child, we went off by ourselves with our sleds and sledded down a hill that, in hindsight, I realize was too long, steep and dangerous, ending as it did with the brick wall of the elementary school. It's a wonder we survived, but it was a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 357December 12, 2023 9:43 AM

We’d let our dog roam the subdivision unleashed, which sounds totally unthinkable and irresponsible to me today. Once two girls knocked on the door to tell us they’d seen our dog down on the main road a half mile away. I started crying because I thought she had run away or might get hit. Mom reassured me she was in the house in another room, so it was either another dog or ours had made it home safely already.

I once put a pair of Fruit of the Loom briefs on her with her tail sticking out the fly and let her out. She returned some time later without the underwear on. Our neighbors had a pair of shelties named Salt and Pepper who’d walk around their unfenced yard together. They got spooked by fireworks once and ran away. They were missing a few days then returned home, still together.

by Anonymousreply 358December 12, 2023 11:33 AM

Yes r356! My mom was a Welcome Wagon lady in the 70s. I always assumed this was a volunteer thing, but reading the Wiki she must have been getting paid.

by Anonymousreply 359December 12, 2023 11:37 AM

She was screwing neighbors left and right behind your father’s back.

You’re Welcome!

by Anonymousreply 360December 12, 2023 11:50 AM

The beige rotary phone of my grandmother. I love to give it a spin, dialing numbers at random…

..but then sometimes you’d hear a “Hallo?!” because I had dialled an actual phone number!

by Anonymousreply 361December 12, 2023 12:15 PM

Riding in the first car of the biggest roller coaster at Six Flags. With my hands up! My friend too.

by Anonymousreply 362December 12, 2023 1:38 PM

Lying awake at night listening to my parents argue about everything…including my “faggot behavior”. Good thing they were too cheap to buy pillows for my brother and I. Mine would have been soaked with tears.

by Anonymousreply 363December 12, 2023 2:11 PM

Oh god r363.

by Anonymousreply 364December 12, 2023 4:44 PM

When I was in junior high school there was a guy I had a major crush on who lived in the house behind ours. The house had a master bedroom with the windows looking into their backyard. This was the parent's room and they always left the drapes open. We had trees that covered our property, but you were able to peek through them without being noticed. Some nights I used to peek through and watch his dad undress and stroll around nude while the bedroom lights were on.

by Anonymousreply 365December 12, 2023 4:48 PM

How big was it r365?

by Anonymousreply 366December 12, 2023 4:50 PM

Delbert Botts!!

by Anonymousreply 367December 12, 2023 4:50 PM

R366 It was short, very thick and bounced around when he walked. He was quite hairy too. I probably got the biggest boner of my life when I first saw it.

by Anonymousreply 368December 12, 2023 5:01 PM

Ewww r368. I’m sorry I asked.

by Anonymousreply 369December 12, 2023 9:31 PM

R369 are you female? Sounds like it.

by Anonymousreply 370December 12, 2023 10:00 PM

No I’m not female but I’m not an old motherfucker either. Hairy, tiny dick bouncing…. Not attractive Some perv window peeper? Not.

by Anonymousreply 371December 12, 2023 10:08 PM

R368 did your mother give birth to you in a ditch?

by Anonymousreply 372December 12, 2023 10:11 PM

R325 They’re still there.

by Anonymousreply 373December 12, 2023 11:22 PM

I was not turned on by adults as a child. The thought of a hairy dad walking around naked also makes me say “Eww” and I’m not very young.

by Anonymousreply 374December 12, 2023 11:24 PM

R374, see what a beautiful world this is? When I was junior high school age (which I guess is what you mean by "as a child"), like R365 I was very turned on by hairy older men. In fact, I never gave a moment's sexual thought to boys my own age, and a hairy chest was a sine qua non for me until I was far into adulthood.

And yet, amazingly, I don't say "eww" when I hear about others' crushes on their fellow pubescent students or even on hairless twinks when they still express such urges as adults. It's a big, wide, wonderful world full of people with different tastes. Otherwise, it would awfully boring, wouldn't it?

by Anonymousreply 375December 12, 2023 11:37 PM

When I was a kid I used to walk around naked hoping my hot, married neighbor was watching me. He’d need binoculars as there were about two acres between our houses.

by Anonymousreply 376December 12, 2023 11:43 PM

I remember when I was three how I would look very closely at the flowers in the yard. Lily of the valley, four o'clocks, cherry blossoms, petunias. It was how I discovered nature.

I saw an old Life magazine in our shed with Virginia Dare's story. My mother explained. I was horrified.

I stayed up alone the night of the Kennedy-Nixon election and watched the results on TV. I was six.

The mosquito fogger truck - an old steaming, smoking, rig, would come by in the evening after dark. I remember kids running and playing in the noxious fog as the truck went slowly up the street. I must be reincarnated because I would think of Lincoln's funeral train. I didn't know anything about Lincoln's funeral train.

I hated hearing my heartbeat in bed when I was four because it sounded like the footsteps of three men coming to get me. I have no idea where that came from.

by Anonymousreply 377December 12, 2023 11:51 PM

My mom never once did anything like allow me to stay home from school for no reason, or take me out of school to get ice cream, her style was more that I had to do what everyone else had to do, too bad but that’s life, make the best of it. But in the summer she took me to the beach, which we both loved (and which was free or very cheap, back then, practically everywhere in MA, ME, and NH, btw). Other times she’d say “let’s get lost” and we’d drive somewhere unfamiliar and try to find our way home.

by Anonymousreply 378December 12, 2023 11:52 PM

[quote] I once put a pair of Fruit of the Loom briefs on her with her tail sticking out the fly and let her out. She returned some time later without the underwear on.

What?

by Anonymousreply 379December 13, 2023 4:58 AM

R375 Why direct your post at me? I was merely agreeing with the person who was grossed out, I wasn't the original poster.

by Anonymousreply 380December 13, 2023 4:40 PM

Going every Christmas to see a Walt Disney movie in the glamorous, old downtown movie theater,

by Anonymousreply 381December 13, 2023 9:44 PM

Not a Christmas movie, or a Walt Disney movie, but I remember going to downtown DC with my parents and grandparents to see My Fair Lady. The film opened in October of 1964, but this was probably the winter of 1965, since my parents never liked going to crowded theaters and always waited until any hit had been open for a while.

There's a picture of us, all but my grandfather, who probably took the picture, standing outside the Warner Theater on 13th Street NW. We are posed in front of the movie poster, dressed in our finest day-in-the-city attire. I remember the day, and the movie, very well.

*Insert sentimental, bittersweet line about nice memories but everyone except me being gone now.*

by Anonymousreply 382December 13, 2023 10:42 PM

Being sent to the Principal’s office in first grade, and told I was meeting someone to talk about school. It turns out it was an IQ test and a visit with the district psychologist for evaluation as a gifted student.

When later I was told that I would spend part of the day in a different classroom with a smaller group, I cried and said I didn’t wanna do it! Waa!

I loved the gifted class—we wrote poetry, read high school novels and the LA Times. We even published a “newspaper”—I wrote an editorial opposing the war in Vietnam …aged 6🤷🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 383December 13, 2023 10:44 PM

Jr High-level*

by Anonymousreply 384December 13, 2023 10:55 PM

I remember my friends who had sisters being given a Toni home perm by their mother. Man, that shit smelled toxic.

by Anonymousreply 385December 13, 2023 11:29 PM

R383 Exact same thing happened to me. Only I was 5. Or maybe 7.

by Anonymousreply 386December 14, 2023 3:33 AM

R383 that's the pilot episode of Malcolm In The Middle!

Both you and R386 did being in the gifted class help with your later lives?

by Anonymousreply 387December 14, 2023 4:47 AM

In the 70s I remember the local high school once or twice a year would have a kids movie day in the auditorium on a Saturday. It would usually be a Ray Harryhausen type fantasy like the Sinbad movies.

by Anonymousreply 388December 14, 2023 12:24 PM

When I was 13 or 14 and my voice started changing I was able to make my voice sound like an adult woman. My impression of Jaclyn Smith was spot on so I would make numerous prank phone calls with friends. I would call agencies, studios and restaurants and raise hell pretending I was Jaclyn. People on the other end were really convinced I was her so the results were often hilarious. My friend did a great impersonation of Juliet Mills and would call limousine services to neighbors on my street and we'd watch them show up.

by Anonymousreply 389December 19, 2023 2:28 PM

Throwing a tantrum one Christmas morning when I didn’t get the Charlie’s Angels Tree House playset. Instead I got a Tonka dump truck. My mom thought my tantrum was hilarious and snapped a pic of me with my tongue out, flipping her the bird. I was 5 or 6.

by Anonymousreply 390December 19, 2023 2:39 PM

5 TV channels - CBS, ABC, and NBC, one local network channel, and one public television channel.

If you were lucky, sometimes when you turned the TV dial to UHF, you could see something amidst all the snow, usually the signal from a local station in a bordering state.

by Anonymousreply 391December 19, 2023 2:43 PM

R391 I remember trying to watch The Addams Family on UHF Channel 52. It was never on any of the regular channels.

by Anonymousreply 392December 19, 2023 2:49 PM

R391 I guess there was no chance of seeing a naked man anywhere among that snow?

by Anonymousreply 393December 19, 2023 4:27 PM

R393 Not back then. No way.

by Anonymousreply 394December 19, 2023 5:35 PM

R392. Ch. 52 also had Felix the Cat reruns, plus Speed Racer…and Kimba

by Anonymousreply 395December 19, 2023 6:15 PM

It was Channel 40 in northern CA, where the afternoon lineup was Clutch Cargo, the Banana Splits, Ultra Man, Speed Racer, and I Love Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 396December 19, 2023 6:27 PM

Re channel 52 Los Angeles

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397December 19, 2023 6:30 PM

Born in 1963:

Moon landing

Reruns on Channel 11 (or 5) in NY metro area after school: Batman, Lost in Space

The 4:30 afternoon movie on WABC. When I was home sick from school...The Morning Movie at 10 am

The Million Dollar movie on channel 9 (WOR) with the theme song from GWTW.

A dime in the meter to park your car

matrons in movie theaters on a Saturday afternoon.

Going to B Altman (Altman's) Department Store for Christmas shopping.

Listening to WABC AM radio in a car

The anticipation of Christmas morning

by Anonymousreply 398December 19, 2023 6:54 PM

I think back in the '70s, UHF was the only place we could watch reruns of Davey & Goliath, Gumby, Beany & Cecil, and Rocky & Bullwinkle. The main VHF channels were all about Looney Tunes and Hanna Barbera cartoons.

by Anonymousreply 399December 19, 2023 8:02 PM

I also remember Tom Hatten and his "Popeye and His Friends" show before moving on to "The Family Film Festival," which seemed to have a hard-on for Jerry Lewis films and Pippi Longstockings.

by Anonymousreply 400December 19, 2023 8:07 PM

Weird one...but I have the distinct memory of being on the beach aged maybe 8 and carrying a large rock and as I passed my mother who was sunbathing I considered dropping it on her head. Very fucked up but I'm pretty well adjusted and successful and often wonder WTF that was all about. Any thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 401December 19, 2023 8:17 PM

When city parks were cleaned regularly so we could have picnics not even four blocks from our house.

by Anonymousreply 402December 19, 2023 8:50 PM

R399 Not the case in Southern California.all were in VHF stations.

by Anonymousreply 403December 19, 2023 9:54 PM

Out of nowhere, the theme song for the 60's cartoon "Captain America" popped into my head and I found myself trying to remember the lyrics. This lead me to Youtube, where I was compelled to look up all of the cheesy theme songs for the superhero toons of the times: Iron Man, Submariner, The Hulk, Batman, The Amazing Spiderman, Thor, Wonder Woman. Whoever wrote those songs is either genius or mental, especially for poor Hulk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404December 19, 2023 10:23 PM

Channel 56 in Boston had Gilligan's Island reruns on offer from the time I could watch tv until I left home in 1981. I watched them the whole time, although sometimes I'd switch to channel 38 to watch Hogan's Heroes.

by Anonymousreply 405December 20, 2023 6:13 AM

I took Steno in high school so I could quickly write down lyrics from songs. Only boy in the class. I was quite good at it and could have made a short lived career out of it.

by Anonymousreply 406December 20, 2023 6:37 AM

R406 didn't you wish there were a few guys in the class for you to drool over?

by Anonymousreply 407December 20, 2023 7:01 AM

Why ? It wasn't like the shorthand class was isolated from the rest of the school. There was plenty of time to drool in every other class, in gym..and on and on.

by Anonymousreply 408December 20, 2023 8:04 AM

Born in 1863

Shitting on dirt

by Anonymousreply 409December 20, 2023 8:11 AM

I grew up in the 1070s and I can remember the milk man coming to our house to deliver milk. I recall driving with my mom sitting next to me, curlers in her hair and a thin scarf pulled around them as we drove through an old town to a butcher to buy meat. I liked going to the butcher because it was cold inside his shop and in the heat of summer, it was so refreshing.

The smell of cigarette smoke along with fresh cut grass reminds me of being a kid, playing softball on Saturday mornings while the parents sat on the sidelines smoking and cheering us on. Then, drinking ice cold root beer from the rough, red plastic glasses at the pizza shop we would go after the game. I listened to "Please Mister, Please" over and over on the juke box or my Dad would pick some Neil Diamond song.

I'll never forget the feel of the burning hot pavement just before sunset when my friends and I would have water fights with hoses or squirt guns. It still seems like those fights lasted for hours.

I was sitting outside a movie theater getting ready to see Star Wars for the first time. My father had picked me up after soccer practice with my big sister in tow to go see this movie that EVERYONE at my school was talking about. He and my mom had to see if first to make sure it was ok for me to see at 8 years old. My dad sat my sister and I down on the curb while we waited to go inside and said, "Now, there's a part in this where a weird alien gets his arm cut off with a light sword but it's fake, ok?" I still laugh because that's the only scene I remembered for a long time after seeing it. Thanks Dad. Too bad you turned into a monster.

by Anonymousreply 410December 20, 2023 8:47 AM

Ooops! 1970s!^^^

by Anonymousreply 411December 20, 2023 8:48 AM

R404, don’t forget “The Mighty Hercules”, just about the gayest theme song ever.

“Softness in his eyes, iron in his thighs, virtue in his heart, fire in every part of the mighty Hercules!"

The theme was sung by Johnny Nash, who had a #1 hit in 1972 with “I Can See Clearly Now”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412December 20, 2023 9:25 AM

Muscular Dystrophy Carnivals.

In the DC area, kids who put on a carnival sometimes got to appear on Captain Tug, an afternoon cartoon show hosted by the supposed captain of a tugboat in the Potomac. I don't remember how the kids were selected to appear - maybe those who raised the most money?

Also, we had a local version of American Bandstand, much cheaper and cheesier, with a small set that looked like it was made out of carboard. I wish I could remember the name of it. Did most big cities have something like this? (This was in the mid- to late '60s.)

by Anonymousreply 413December 20, 2023 9:38 AM

Watching free channels on the lone television. Learning facts, names, dates, places, and how to write and compute. Typing. Eating egular, non-microwaved food. Jumping off high-diving boards instead of getting on water slides. Walking to school. Reading for fun. Playing board games and cards with others. Roller skating down wonky sidewalks and falling onto lawns to stop. Chalking a hopscotch game and playing with pieces of slate. Going to summer "ice-cream fairs" at school.

IOW, OP, childhood memories---for many if not most---consist of more than what color furniture, fixtures, and appliances were. Most children, when children, aren't miniature interior decorators even to take such notice, let alone to judge.

by Anonymousreply 414December 20, 2023 9:59 AM

Sp: "egular" is "regular."

by Anonymousreply 415December 20, 2023 10:00 AM

r410 r411 stop lying. we all know you meant 1870s

by Anonymousreply 416December 20, 2023 12:05 PM

R412 I loved HERCULES! It was so terrible that it was brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 417December 20, 2023 12:10 PM

R412..."iron in his thighs?"

I'd say from the looks of him, Hercules skipped Leg Day. Massive upper body but so-so legs...very little iron in those thighs.

by Anonymousreply 418December 20, 2023 2:57 PM

When I was in 8th or 9th grade, in the early 70s, my mom took me to buy school clothes in a men's store in the next town. After we'd looked around a while, Mom said to the man behind the counter, "Do you have anything else in back?" The guy went back there and came back with a couple of boxes. He said recently they had found these boxes of shirts in the store room that hadn't been opened. One was from Arrow and one was some other brand. They were from the '50s. They were the best shirts, colorful, with stripes and patterns. (Young men's shirts.) They charged us very little and we bought 7 or 8 of them. Everybody at school commented positively on the shirts. Thanks. Mom.

by Anonymousreply 419December 20, 2023 3:23 PM

Acting like a bitch to some boys I was at a birthday party with at a restaurant in NYC when I was 10.

by Anonymousreply 420December 20, 2023 5:29 PM

My mother was very religious. In a good way I like to think. Anyway, whenever we went to the beach, or on a hike, or a lake, anything in nature really, right before we left, she would give us garbage bags and we had to walk around and pick up trash or anything like that. She would say it was our little way to thank God for giving us such a beautiful place to spend the day. She was one of those people who found her god in nature. Shed do stuff like have us come outside to the porch to watch a thunder and lightening storm and things like that.

by Anonymousreply 421December 20, 2023 5:37 PM

Aged 7 or 8 (so mid-late 1950’s) I got lectured to by my mother about not eating everything on my plate at dinner. She said I should “Think about the poor starving children in Europe” instead of wasting food.

I told her to wrap up my plate, send it to them, and to take the cost of the postage out of my allowance.

by Anonymousreply 422December 20, 2023 6:01 PM

My dad on hot days making us ice cream with white lemonade poured over it.

by Anonymousreply 423December 20, 2023 6:32 PM

The day I snapped of baby Jesus's head from my grandmother's chalkware manger set. I carefully glued it back together and no one ever noticed.

by Anonymousreply 424December 20, 2023 6:39 PM

In the days before seatbelts I'd pick my nose with my face hidden in the crease of the leather back seat of my parents car. I loved the smell of the leather.

by Anonymousreply 425December 20, 2023 6:41 PM

Felix the Cat when I got home from school…in the summer they’d binge show Felix and Hercules…Channel 48 in Philadelphia!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426December 20, 2023 7:00 PM

R421 your mother sounds very special X

by Anonymousreply 427December 20, 2023 9:51 PM

Wetting my pants on my first day of school - kindergarten or first grade. I was horribly shy as a kid -- I would run and hide when my grandparents visited because I would become inhibited even seeing them. So, sitting on little chairs in a totally new environment with a bunch of kids and teacher (a nun) I didn't know was stressful. Too scared to ask about bathroom, I sat on my chair and let go.

The teacher eventually noticed the puddle on the floor and went to the girl on the chair next to me, having her stand up to check if her uniform skirt was wet. Then it was my turn...caught. I remember the teacher being a little angry but not yelling and taking me to the bathroom. I lived around the corner from the school, so my mother was called to come get me.

by Anonymousreply 428December 20, 2023 10:38 PM

The Felix Chevrolet sign near USC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429December 21, 2023 12:01 AM

In fourth grade I called a friend's house around 9 am and his mom asked me why I wasn't in school. Turns out it was the first day of school but my parents thought it was tomorrow! I think I was dressed and in the classroom within 10 minutes!

by Anonymousreply 430December 29, 2023 5:56 PM

I remember being in summer day camp and having drills where we were instructed to kneel on the floor under tables. I didn't really understand why at the time, but figured out later it was in the event of a nuclear attack. I don't remember being scared, so I presume us kids were not told the real reason for these drills.

by Anonymousreply 431December 31, 2023 7:05 PM

Kneel underneath tables? I do this every Friday afternoon under my bosses desk

by Anonymousreply 432December 31, 2023 8:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!