Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Los Angeles: Flash Mob Steals $12,000 Worth of Goods From Nike Store

Police said the group of 17 suspects, believed to be between 15 and 20 years old, fled the scene in five vehicles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150December 2, 2023 11:48 PM

Not a care in the world. Either this is a big family or these people are recruiting online using apps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 26, 2023 8:24 AM

These past few years has just proven how incompetent 'woke' Democrats are at governing.

by Anonymousreply 2November 26, 2023 8:33 AM

Yeah, California became the largest sub-national economy in the world by sheer incompetence, for sure. Won the Summer Olympics bid for the same reason.

by Anonymousreply 3November 26, 2023 8:48 AM

The second these people enter, run to the front door and lock it and call 911. They allow them to just run out.

by Anonymousreply 4November 26, 2023 8:49 AM

Large stores like this should be allowed to have shutters that close and seal off the stores and safe rooms for the employees so they can cage the animals until the authorities arrive if this is how people are going to act.

by Anonymousreply 5November 26, 2023 8:50 AM

[QUOTE] These past few years has just proven how incompetent 'woke' Democrats are at governing.

What the hell would Republicans do differently that would’ve prevented this, R2?

by Anonymousreply 6November 26, 2023 8:50 AM

Reparations y'all!!

by Anonymousreply 7November 26, 2023 8:51 AM

R4, police are powerless. These DAs let them go if what they stole is under a certain amount. All I hear from Gen Z and morons like Cynthia Nixon is that this is justified - capitalism is bad, and the stores will get their money back through insurance. No one was hurt.

by Anonymousreply 8November 26, 2023 8:52 AM

Just start turning shoplifters into 3-strikes lifers - prison boom time!

by Anonymousreply 9November 26, 2023 10:12 AM

Millennials weren't doing this shit.

by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2023 10:14 AM

Millennials were cowards! ^^^

by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2023 10:19 AM

Fun fact: Nike actually makes $5 profit from a $100 pair of shoes.

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2023 10:29 AM

[quote] What the hell would Republicans do differently that would’ve prevented this, [R2]?

As much as I hate Republicans, they wouldn’t stand for this “You can steal as long as it’s under $1,000” shit. They’d also lock them up and throw full support behind the police. This idea on the Left that the US can abolish its police force and install social workers is peak insanity. Philly, Chicago, and California are sinking thanks to these so-called progressive policies. No one is afraid break the law anymore as there aren’t real repercussions.

by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2023 10:43 AM

One hour of community service per penny of damage done.

by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2023 10:49 AM

Stores need to go back to the model like Service Merchandise, Argos or Oleson’s Mercantile. Pay for it first then someone brings the item to you from the stockroom.

by Anonymousreply 15November 26, 2023 10:54 AM

R15, they’ve tried that but civil rights groups and politicians come out screaming racism and threatening lawsuits and everyone backs off. Stores in Philly have everything locked up. Corner stores had everything, including the workers, behind glass (workers were constantly getting robbed and shot at) and the city threatened a racial discrimination suit because it made black residents feel that they were being treated like criminals in the stores.

by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2023 10:59 AM

Arm all retail workers and extend "stand your ground" laws to stores. A couple of shoplifters getting blown away will stop this crap dead.

by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2023 11:10 AM

Maybe this is the reason that Wall street hedge funds are financing ultra "progressives". Cause, you know more crime on the street, more merchandise sold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2023 11:18 AM

College kids home for Thanksgiving, bored and looking for a cheap thrill. Victimless crime, just kids goofing off. They'll use this experience and A.I. to produce papers for their Intersectional Resistance and Law Reform course.

by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2023 11:28 AM

Cities are asinine to defund their police departments because we're obviously going to need a lot [italic]more[/italic] police if we want to maintain a civilized society...which sadly seems to be slowly slipping away in major cities.

by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2023 11:52 AM

The proliferation of this type of activity, particularly in urban areas, is the result, in part, of municipalities being hesitant to hand out criminal penalties for relatively minor crimes committed by young offenders. And, yes, there is a racial component to this calculation. But I’m not sure how local legislators and executives thought that this was going to solve the problem. Shockingly, letting the thieves off with relatively few if any repercussions didn’t stop crime, because the miscreants only upped the ante. Instead of just flouting the laws by committing fare-jumping when riding the subway, 13- and 14-year-old kids moved up to commit armed carjackings.

And yes, a part of the blame is the fault of cops and prosecutors who don’t want to deal with these crimes and the rest of the judicial system where administrators don’t think they have the capacity to handle a large volume of smaller cases. But failure to curb the problem when it is small leads to it becoming a bigger issue.

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2023 11:55 AM

Thank God R5’s stupid ass isn’t in charge of anything except putting on his own Depends.

Imagine stores following that dumb plan, allowing you to be trapped inside with a group of desperate thugs.

You wouldn’t be sued into oblivion AT ALL!

by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2023 11:57 AM

[quote]Yeah, California became the largest sub-national economy in the world by sheer incompetence, for sure. Won the Summer Olympics bid for the same reason

The IOC is one of the most corrupt organizations in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 26, 2023 12:02 PM

Open fire! I've had it!!

by Anonymousreply 24November 26, 2023 12:03 PM

I feel bad for retail workers who have to deal with this type of threatening behavior when they're just trying to earn a living to put themselves through school or pay rent.

by Anonymousreply 25November 26, 2023 12:05 PM

And California became the largest sub national economy in the 20th century. For most of the 20th century until the Clinton-era realignment, California was an incredibly conservative state. Anyone who keeps trying to rest the state’s laurels on the economic success on the 20th century is essentially simping for reactionary law-and-order policies of Ronald Reagan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 26, 2023 12:08 PM

R26, are you arguing for a return to law and order?

by Anonymousreply 27November 26, 2023 12:12 PM

The foundation of secular liberalism, is, in fact, law and order. Look at the idiots who had absolute faith that Robert Mueller was going to do something.

by Anonymousreply 28November 26, 2023 12:17 PM

The mistake that “crime reform advocates” are making is that they are operating under the assumption that “safe blue” communities will never oust them from power.

They are horribly, horribly wrong and in face are paving the way for a pivot to reactionary authoritarianism. And not all reactionary authoritarianism is right-wing (remember that thing called the Soviet Union?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 26, 2023 12:25 PM

This reminds me of the liberal Minneapolis suburb that vowed never to call the cops after the Floyd incident. I wonder how long they kept that nonsense up. Probably right after all their cars were stolen.

by Anonymousreply 30November 26, 2023 12:34 PM

Black teens commit crime, news outlets and police afraid of being called racists if it is pointed out, liberals blame black crime on white privilege, and the crime continues...............

by Anonymousreply 31November 26, 2023 12:41 PM

Almost all neo-Marxist rhetoric in regards to justice reforms blithely ignores the fact that Marx himself had little affection for the class of people he called the Lumpenproliteriat, which included petty thieves and the like, the “…essentially parasitical group” which “could not normally play a progressive role in history.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 26, 2023 12:47 PM

Most university-trained “Marxists” in the West are simply cosplaying bourgeois dilettantes. Actual Marxism is very, very severe. In a Marxist-Leninist society, these people (who would have been raiding a communal commissary instead of a private enterprise) would simply have been shot on sight.

by Anonymousreply 33November 26, 2023 12:51 PM

"Fun fact: Nike actually makes $5 profit from a $100 pair of shoes."

Total and complete bullshit:

Raw Materials: $1.00 Raw Labor: 50 cents (nothing if they can be made in a forced labor camp or use child labor) Transportation Costs: $5.00 Advertising/Marketing: $25.00 Corporate Overhead: $20.00 Executive Compensation: $15.00 Payments to athletes for endorsements: $20.00

Total Expenses: $81.50, profit $18.50.

by Anonymousreply 34November 26, 2023 12:54 PM

Why don’t stores in large cities have armed security at the door? Wouldn’t paying guards come out cheaper than losing hundreds of thousands to theft every year? By the time the cops respond, the perps are already long gone anyway . Need to be locked and loaded in the heat of the moment.

by Anonymousreply 35November 26, 2023 12:56 PM

R33 These tin heads have no idea of Marx' theory. Marxism is an economic and political theory that examines the flaws inherent in capitalism, the exploitation of laborers, the theory of surplus value, class struggle. It uses a materialist interpretation of historical development, better known as historical materialism, to understand class relations and social conflict and a dialectical perspective to view social transformation.

I has nothing to do with ideologies promoting reverse racism or white liberal self hatred sponsored by Wall street and big business to stir shit and division.

by Anonymousreply 36November 26, 2023 1:09 PM

Cynthia Nixon thinks it's wonderful that RIFF RAFF is now allowed to steal up to $900 of merchandise at a CVS or other retailer LEGALLY.

by Anonymousreply 37November 26, 2023 1:30 PM

R31- Therefore the neverending

CHAOS 😮

by Anonymousreply 38November 26, 2023 1:31 PM

What exactly could a security guard do in a situation like this? Close the door locking them in with employees and customers? Shoot them? These are not rhetorical questions.

by Anonymousreply 39November 26, 2023 1:41 PM

Get a large enough group and steal all you want without repercussions.

by Anonymousreply 40November 26, 2023 1:42 PM

Has the black fist troll showed up yet. Once in a blue moon that cunt is funny.

by Anonymousreply 41November 26, 2023 1:46 PM

What would Republicans do?

Lock them up in prisons that’ll be decommissioned in order to finance the next round of tax cuts

by Anonymousreply 42November 26, 2023 1:47 PM

R31 You are 100% correct. I wish more black people would wake up as I have.

by Anonymousreply 43November 26, 2023 1:48 PM

Teacake, I am glad you are finally acknowledging that you are Black.

You are still extremely ghetto, though. You have that pompous, pretentious writing style that suggests an insecure Black person who is aiming to appear more intelligent than they actually are.

You see a lot of drag queens doing something similar.

by Anonymousreply 44November 26, 2023 1:53 PM

Thieves are horrible. I wish there was a little clear plastic cable or something that pop up at the exit and cause them to trip. It would be funny all their stolen goods go flying like in Better Call Saul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 26, 2023 1:53 PM

R44 I have always acknowledged that I am black despite some insisting I was partaking in digital black face. As far as the other diatribe you posted, well you know. You are non motherfucking factor cunt. It doesn’t even make sense.

by Anonymousreply 46November 26, 2023 1:56 PM

I don't know about all that. But you know what I do know? Training Day movie still holds up. It's a damn good movie.

by Anonymousreply 47November 26, 2023 2:00 PM

[quote]As far as the other [bold]diatribe[/bold] you posted

See, there you go straining again. You had to reach for that word that you thought cost 50 cents, didn't you? And you paid double what it is actually worth.

Next time, just say something like, "As for the rest of your post ... "

You'll seem like less of a try-hard that way.

by Anonymousreply 48November 26, 2023 2:03 PM

R46 Teacake love, they're not worth it. They feed off you getting upset. There is something wrong with them and you can't fix it. You can never fix sense in a troll, they're too demented and unwilling to meet in the middle. They like to fight.

by Anonymousreply 49November 26, 2023 2:07 PM

R48 lol. You are so miserable with your life but that did give me a good chuckle—the 50 cent joke. Haha. Are you suggesting one is cashing check that one’s ass can’t cash. Can you help a cunt out. Be my benefactor.

by Anonymousreply 50November 26, 2023 2:08 PM

[quote]These past few years has just proven how incompetent 'woke' Democrats are at governing.

The largest Republican run city in America, Jacksonville FL, has one of the highest crime rates of a large city in America. Higher than Chicago. So, sorry Defacto. No.

by Anonymousreply 51November 26, 2023 2:13 PM

Teacake, my life is great. The advice that I just gave you is a gift, and it is very valuable. You should take it and run with it. And not only online but also in your professional life, where your particular brand of misplaced snobbery will actually cost you a great deal, no matter how much shit you talk about other Black people.

by Anonymousreply 52November 26, 2023 2:13 PM

[quote]Teacake, I am glad you are finally acknowledging that you are Black.

Teacake-facto is about as black as I am.

by Anonymousreply 53November 26, 2023 2:16 PM

But they're little angels!

So close to working on their Ph.D dissertations!

Reparations!

by Anonymousreply 54November 26, 2023 2:18 PM

R52 I am not a snob in real life and never have been. Get lost you loser.

by Anonymousreply 55November 26, 2023 2:19 PM

At some point, one of these mobs will try this and one of our mass shooters will mow them down.

Two sicknesses of American life will merge. It's only a matter of time.....

by Anonymousreply 56November 26, 2023 2:20 PM

Why do people insist I am defacto when I am not. However I’ve also seen people swear Greg is defacto.

by Anonymousreply 57November 26, 2023 2:20 PM

By the way, I am actually Black so I am perfectly entitled to tell you about yourself, Teacake.

by Anonymousreply 58November 26, 2023 2:20 PM

All of these stores need some Rooftop Koreans. That'll end this fuckery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 26, 2023 2:30 PM

I don't think OP knows what a " flash mob" is.

by Anonymousreply 60November 26, 2023 2:38 PM

Why is it always blacks who do this shit? Why?

by Anonymousreply 61November 26, 2023 2:42 PM

R51 could you explain yourself. Chicago has a much higher crime rate than Jacksonville Fl according to statistics.

by Anonymousreply 62November 26, 2023 2:50 PM

I can’t help noticing these flash mobs seem to focus on stealing highly fetishized items. I find a certain irony in that since one doesn’t work for something it often has less of a personal value. Possibly the act of stealing is a big part of the incentive. They probably end up selling them for Pennies on the dollar.

by Anonymousreply 63November 26, 2023 3:08 PM

Apparently, a lot of this stuff ends up on Facebook Marketplace r63

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 26, 2023 3:11 PM

12,000 divided by 17 is with a 10 percent manager's discount on the floor samples is 635 each. Of course, their behavior is abhorrent, dangerous and criminal. I'm sure this clip will play 100's of times on FOX this week.

I only wish that rich people's crimes carried the same proportionate outrage. All financial crimes should carry the same weight as a thug with an I phone or TWIG.

Trump scammed his insurance company for 17 million or the equivilant of 17, 000 TWIGs and then made his ins broker Ambassador to the Dominican Republic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 26, 2023 3:20 PM

Gotta get my gibs!

by Anonymousreply 66November 26, 2023 3:25 PM

I wish people would stop downplaying these crimes. Activities like this are not good for us (prices passed on to consumers), our neighborhoods, or our mental health.

by Anonymousreply 67November 26, 2023 3:27 PM

The link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 26, 2023 3:27 PM

Please grow up, R67.

by Anonymousreply 69November 26, 2023 3:28 PM

What is your argument that these crimes don't harm us? Please address the topic.

by Anonymousreply 70November 26, 2023 3:36 PM

Jacksonville elected a Democratic mayor this year.

The largest Republican mayor-led city is Dallas, whose mayor switched parties.

by Anonymousreply 71November 26, 2023 3:41 PM

My argument that they don't harm me is that I am sitting in my luxury condo on 22nd floor of my luxury building on the waterfront in Boston. Prices are up, but prices are up across the board for everything. I went to the Cheesecake Factory yesterday in Cambridge, their menu prices were up. I am not sitting here blaming rambunctious teenagers for it. Only you are doing that. Grow up. If you are looking for someone to blame for your pocket book getting squeezed, then look to the companies that you buy from who are actually squeezing your pocketbook.

by Anonymousreply 72November 26, 2023 3:44 PM

It doesn’t affect you today.

Lawlessness will eventually, though.

It will even come to the door of your luxury condo, eventually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 26, 2023 3:56 PM

Corporate malfeasance (eg wage theft) does far more societal damage than these flash mobs. But it usually doesn't have a face, whereas these mobs do -- AND they allow right-wingers to freely indulge their racism. It's a great strategy for the divide-and-conquer crowd.

by Anonymousreply 74November 26, 2023 4:10 PM

Not dealing with crime makes people feel the government has forsaken them. And calling people who care about crime racists also doesn't works well with POC. Just another reason for them to abandon the Dems as their real concerns are not addressed.

by Anonymousreply 75November 26, 2023 4:17 PM

Republicans are too busy stealing from the top down

by Anonymousreply 76November 26, 2023 4:20 PM

Those people are just out of control lately.

by Anonymousreply 77November 26, 2023 4:29 PM

It’s funny to hear Cher now complaining about this, “It’s even hit Malibu!” As if other areas don’t matter.

by Anonymousreply 78November 26, 2023 4:34 PM

Did you ever see this one. The guy opens the security cases with a blowtorch in NYC. Stole hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. No one is afraid anymore.

I love these “progressives” who say that they’re stealing shit because they’re poor, as if they’re stealing milk to feed their baby. Meanwhile, they’re stealing makeup.

Everyone screams about the US having too many people in prison. Have you gotten a good look at Americans? We need MORE prisons, not fewer. Too many lunatics running around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 26, 2023 4:37 PM

R72 is a parody post.

by Anonymousreply 80November 26, 2023 4:38 PM

R65, you are an amoral person. With that out of the way, this is a gateway into bigger crime. These will be future murderers and rapists. They fear no one. Wake the fuck up. It will end up at your doorstep.

by Anonymousreply 81November 26, 2023 4:40 PM

I don't think most progressives are claiming they're stealing to feed their children, r79. But (as a progressive) I think a feeling of hopelessness and nihilism absolutely drives this type of behavior. Have you ever had nothing to lose? Well, the people engaging in this type of activity have nothing to lose. They know they are disposable.

by Anonymousreply 82November 26, 2023 4:41 PM

Here is good old Philly, kicking in a woman’s back window on motorcycles with guns out. She has a kid in the back of the car. She gets out and stands up to the thug who has the gun pointed at her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 26, 2023 4:42 PM

[quote]It will even come to the door of your luxury condo, eventually.

*rolls eyes*

Stop being such a simp.

by Anonymousreply 84November 26, 2023 4:42 PM

R58 I don’t give a fuck if yo stankin ass was purple. You are an annoying insufferable online troll. Furthermore you feel some type of way about a fellow poster’s blackness or so called lack thereof or put on. I don’t even know how to put words on your hating ass. Get a life, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 85November 26, 2023 4:47 PM

In other news: An Illinois jury ruled this week that several major egg producers conspired to limit the U.S.'s supply of eggs in order to raise prices in a case stemming from a federal lawsuit originally filed 12 years ago… The jury found that the egg suppliers exported eggs to reduce the overall supply in the domestic market, as well as limiting the number of chickens through means including cage space, early slaughter and flock reduction, court documents say.

The suit was brought by Kraft and Kelloggs and the price fixing happened between 2004-2008.

Now imagine if prosecutors brought a new suit to determine if the same ”scarcity” happened during Covid. Four egg suppliers control most of the US market.

Just in case you thought all the retail thievery happened due to gangs of kids.

by Anonymousreply 86November 26, 2023 4:52 PM

R86 You are tedious.

Two things can be true at the same time: price gouging is wrong. Looting stores is wrong.

But what you don't seem to get is that looting going on in your neighborhood, hits close to home. It is visceral. It creates a climate of fear, of unease. The feeling that things are out of control. It is a quality of life issue.

But all of that goes right over your head. You're simply too dumb to understand. And we're through with the likes of people like you.

by Anonymousreply 87November 26, 2023 5:10 PM

Teacake can't be black because blacks don't use the word cunt. She also writes like a prissy white gay man.

by Anonymousreply 88November 26, 2023 5:10 PM

I listened to something yesterday where a man said these are mostly kids and young people and for this reason there are little to no consequences. No consequences is the problem. Also a sense of entitlement that some young people seem to have.

But we never work on the actual problem and we just moan about it so it continues.

by Anonymousreply 89November 26, 2023 5:23 PM

R88 there goes another DL conspiracy theory

by Anonymousreply 90November 26, 2023 5:24 PM

The Nike Store needs a "Schvoogie Buzzer."

When you're working the front counter and a Black person comes in, press the button once. It will alert the manager in the back room.

If two Blacks come in, push the button twice.

If three or more Blacks come in, run out the back and call 911.

by Anonymousreply 91November 26, 2023 5:26 PM

r91 is OP of:

[quote]Gay Maryland Mayor Arrested for Child Porn - Is It Gonna Hurt Our Gay Agenda?

by Anonymousreply 92November 26, 2023 5:29 PM

And R92 never found the humor in Howard Stern's comedic bits about the racist shopkeeps of Long Island

by Anonymousreply 93November 26, 2023 5:47 PM

I hate these crimes and want the criminals to be prosecuted.

But I do understand that it's happening, the increase is happening, because people are doing this to survive. There may be an element of organized crime to this but it's mostly people who have been excluded from society and are doing whatever they can to survive.

This is most of the package stealing as well....people stealing what they can and trying to resell it.

This will increase as the massive corporate machine continues to disregard human life and focus on maximizing profits and minimizing costs, at any cost to society.

by Anonymousreply 94November 26, 2023 5:52 PM

R94 Miss me with that hot bullshit.

These animals aren't stealing food to survive. They're targeting Nike shoes, which they can sell for coin. It's organized retail theft. It's not surviving. It's deliberate property crime done by people who'd rather steal and destroy than work for a living. Fuck them, and fuck anyone who feels sorry for them.

No one's been excluded from society. These fuckers can get a job faster than you can say "Record Low Unemployment." Entry-level jobs are begging for applicants in this economy.

Spare us your "corporations did this" nonsense. Criminals did this.

by Anonymousreply 95November 26, 2023 5:56 PM

[quote] This idea on the Left that the US can abolish its police force and install social workers is peak insanity

This thought doesn’t exist.

The idea is to hire social workers to work alongside police. Huge numbers of police calls are for people who are emotionally disturbed/mentally ill. The real reason GOP and their billionaire puppeteers don’t want this is because it means social services will need to be delivered. Mental health care. Referrals will need to be made. Cities would become responsible for dealing with their mentally ill/homeless population.

They’d rather just let cops shoot everyone

by Anonymousreply 96November 26, 2023 5:59 PM

R96 And who's going to fill all these social work positions? Who's going to get a master's degree and sit for a battery of licenses just to earn $38k a year and spend days and nights in the same room as violent homeless people and child abusers? Who's going to pay for a magical increase in social worker positions, benefits, wages, etc.? And from where are all the mental health beds going to appear and serve these millions of unwell individuals? And who's going to pay for that?

Cities aren't responsible for the genetic conditions or poor choices of their residents. They are only responsible for protecting the law-abiding from the law-breaking. A civilization's bedrock purpose, from Ancient Persia to Bedouin nomads to American suburbs, has been the protection of its members from harm.

by Anonymousreply 97November 26, 2023 6:05 PM

And yet no one in their families will get a Christmas present because da man is such a white bastard.

by Anonymousreply 98November 26, 2023 6:06 PM

I'm not from around these parts but the likes of R2 are confusing me, as an outsider it seems that the shoplifting craze is quite apolitical with regards to location, I've always read that places like Texas are 100% Republican? Maybe the Republicans of Texas are asleep and not woke?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 26, 2023 6:08 PM

shriek!

by Anonymousreply 100November 26, 2023 6:09 PM

R95 "Miss me with that bullshit"

It's called logic. Something a festering cunt like you appears to be incapable of summoning.

by Anonymousreply 101November 26, 2023 6:16 PM

I abhor violence and guns, but seriously wouldn’t mind if these people were shot while in the act. I’m sick of this.

by Anonymousreply 102November 26, 2023 6:19 PM

R102 There's no logic in what you're suggesting. Only sentiment, naïve intentions, and a whole lot of Other People's Money.

If you want to open your heart, your wallet, and your home to people who shoot up heroin, shoplift, and shit in the streets, go right ahead.

I work for a living and pay for my own shit.

by Anonymousreply 103November 26, 2023 6:20 PM

Obviously scenes like this are maddening and we have to do something about it. It's also copycat behavior and the YouTube prank bullshit.

BUT - theft and loss among retailers is NOT up.

I have a feeling retailers LOVE these clips as a diversion for the unjustified higher prices.

Both can be true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 26, 2023 6:33 PM

Aaaaand blocked.

by Anonymousreply 105November 26, 2023 6:33 PM

[quote]It is a quality of life issue.

Ding ding ding ding

R87 has used the magic words that police love to use when they are justifying dumb, racist policies like "stop and frisk."

Are you a dumb, racist cop, R87?

Teenagers pose no quality of life issues for me and my neighborhood. Maybe you're just a big, racist Karen.

by Anonymousreply 106November 26, 2023 7:56 PM

Stop bringing your naive, Republican bullshit to this board, R103. You just want to justify your inner desire to lock up black kids. Society is wise to your tactics, so now you are trying something new. The fear .... of shoplifting? The fear of ... higher prices?

Well, we can't have that! The only answer is more police! More military hardware! More jails! R103 demands that we construct a police state around ourselves in order to cut down on the shoplifting that has always been there!

You sound like an idiot, R103.

by Anonymousreply 107November 26, 2023 8:00 PM

[quote]Cities aren't responsible for the genetic conditions or poor choices of their residents. They are only responsible for protecting the law-abiding from the law-breaking. A civilization's bedrock purpose, from Ancient Persia to Bedouin nomads to American suburbs, has been the protection of its members from harm.

This is the biggest load of horse shit that I have ever heard. And you just know it's coming from dipshit who (1) pays next to zero taxes and (2) was salivating over those government stimulus checks during the pandemic.

People who pay taxes and actually fund government prerogatives through their taxes understand that the real compact between a government and its citizens is to protect everyone, not just the white people living in the suburbs.

And don't even get me started on your use of the word "genetics."

What a piece of shit you are.

by Anonymousreply 108November 26, 2023 8:07 PM

The same raci$t piece$ of $hit demanding these "people" be brought to justice are the same assholes applauding Donald Trump every time he wipes his fat, white, entitled ass with the US Constitution and thumbs his nose at the American justice system by physically threatening anybody who threatens him.

by Anonymousreply 109November 26, 2023 8:37 PM

[quote]But I do understand that it's happening, the increase is happening, because people are doing this to survive.

Please tell us: why don't you ever see hordes of Asians looting stores?

by Anonymousreply 110November 26, 2023 8:44 PM

R110, they don't have a chance, as they are muscled aside by the hordes of impoverished fresh-from-the-boat Mexican migrants. I mean, I haven't seen any reports of these migrants doing these lootings, but they must be doing them, because poverty FORCES people to organize mass lootings of expensive gear. They have NO CHOICE. Poverty, y'see.

by Anonymousreply 111November 26, 2023 8:48 PM

Exactly, not even the Mexicans.

Instead it aways seems to be the same demographic group that goes en masse to spread terror with their looting sprees.

by Anonymousreply 112November 26, 2023 9:14 PM

[quote]demands that we construct a police state around ourselves in order to cut down on the shoplifting that has always been there!

"Shoplifting" ? Sounds so quaint.

This isn't mere shoplifting. It's LOOTING. It's SMASH and grab. It's violent thuggery.

by Anonymousreply 113November 26, 2023 9:20 PM

Notice how, at the beginning of the film, they appear to be just innocently wandering in to shop.

We've all seen plenty of similar videos, in which young black people amble into a store, and then violence or looting break out. We have to pretend we haven't noticed the trends. We have to obediently look sad and sympathetic when "community leaders" wring their hands and wail, "every time a shopkeeper sees a group of young black men in the store, they watch them like a hawk! Oh, the racism!"

by Anonymousreply 114November 26, 2023 9:38 PM

This drama is making my pussy wet.

by Anonymousreply 115November 26, 2023 11:32 PM

It's very depressing for everyone who saves their cash to buy goods they can afford, and to all the employees working in these stores. It's a mockery of the system we have generally agreed that builds our civil society.

I see people stealing often at self-checkout at the supermarket. It makes me feel like a sucker that I don't steal because apparently immorality and criminality is now routine and fine.

by Anonymousreply 116November 26, 2023 11:42 PM

They're all black, right?

by Anonymousreply 117November 27, 2023 6:38 AM

R117 there is a meme circulating around: Martin Looter King

by Anonymousreply 118November 27, 2023 7:07 AM

R4

Store employees earning minimum wage are supposed to stop a gang of robbers?!

by Anonymousreply 119November 27, 2023 7:12 AM

[quote]We've all seen plenty of similar videos, in which young black people amble into a store, and then violence or looting break out. We have to pretend we haven't noticed the trends. We have to obediently look sad and sympathetic when "community leaders" wring their hands and wail, "every time a shopkeeper sees a group of young black men in the store, they watch them like a hawk! Oh, the racism!"

That reminds me of this urban legend that was making the rounds in the 1990s. An Asian clerk gets anxious when a group of young black men enters his convenience store. He keeps an eye on them and holds his breath until they have paid and departed. Shortly after they exit, a bunch of clean-cut white guys enter and the clerk is relieved to see them, but one of them pulls out a gun and they rob him blind.

I think it was supposed to teach people not to race profile black people or something, but if it walks like a duck...

by Anonymousreply 120November 27, 2023 7:25 AM

R99

100% Republican?! Are you mental? They still dominate but hopefully, not for long.

Democratic margins are improving in urban areas of the state. In the five counties with the most registered voters (Harris, Dallas, Tarrant, Bexar, and Travis), Democrats narrowly edged Republicans in 2014 (49.84% v. 48.40%), then widened their margins in 2018 (53.58% vs. 44.12%) and 2022 (57.58% vs. 40.99%). These counties combined accounted for 41.69% of registered voters in the 2022 election, and 40.91% of all votes cast.

Travis and Dallas counties much more closely resemble the frequently assumed default of “blue cities” than do Harris, Bexar, or (especially) Tarrant counties. O’Rourke received 72.61% of the vote in progressive Travis county (up from 66.81% in 2018 and 63.16% in 2014) and 62.78% of the vote in Dallas county (2018: 58.74%; 2014: 54.79%). In Bexar, O’Rourke received 57.47% of the vote (2018: 52.25%; 2014: 48.42%), while in Harris, he received 53.94% of the vote (2018: 52.11%; 2014: 47.08%). Abbott narrowly carried Tarrant after both O’Rourke and Biden narrowly won the county in the 2018 Senate race and the 2020 presidential election, respectively. While O’Rourke was not able to hold onto Tarrant in 2022, the same pattern of gradual Democratic improvement is evident: the Democrat received 47.42% of the vote this year, compared to 43.75% in 2018, and 41.08% in 2014.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 27, 2023 7:35 AM

Look up Émile Durkheim's concept of anomie.

Crimes like this are just a symptom of a larger problem. Doesn't mean there shouldn't be short-term fixes for it (i.e., punishment for individual crimes and restorative justice), but you won't get rid of it unless you do something to improve social cohesion and a fairer allocation of resources.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122November 27, 2023 8:20 AM

And for those who don't read:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 27, 2023 8:25 AM

White collar crime is a terrible blight on this country ripping off our taxes far more than we can imagine.

But this kind of crime threatens our lives. It is so much more visceral. It hits us in the gut palpably and that's why we react so much more strongly. It is literally a matter of life and death.

by Anonymousreply 124November 27, 2023 12:23 PM

R99 your info is wrong. Texas is not 100% Republican, but more like 52/48 split. Urban centers are Democrat, but the hinterlands are vast and regressed. The schism goes to the US civil war when the state narrowly voted for being Confederate i.e. slave holding. Now please carry on, men.

by Anonymousreply 125November 27, 2023 12:37 PM

[quote] It is literally a matter of life and death.

Mary!

If you do something stupid maybe. The nature of this kind of crime is to get in and out fast, not murder bystanders. It's the freaks and mentally ill with guns you need to worry about. Shop online!

by Anonymousreply 126November 27, 2023 1:26 PM

Great solution R126. Go straight home from work. Don't use the public transportation. Don't go out after dark. Shop online. Don't meet guys on the apps. Don't go out in bars or clubs. Don't open the door to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 127November 27, 2023 2:49 PM

[quote]Go straight home from work. Don't use the public transportation. Don't go out after dark. Shop online. Don't meet guys on the apps. Don't go out in bars or clubs. Don't open the door to anyone.

You've just described 95% of DLers.

by Anonymousreply 128November 27, 2023 2:53 PM

I use public transportation.

by Anonymousreply 129November 27, 2023 3:23 PM

[quote]If you do something stupid maybe. The nature of this kind of crime is to get in and out fast, not murder bystanders. It's the freaks and mentally ill with guns you need to worry about. Shop online!

Just so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 130November 27, 2023 7:27 PM

“Shop online!” has to be the stupidest comment on this thread.

Here’s hoping you’re not a DNC strategist, r126.

by Anonymousreply 131November 27, 2023 8:49 PM

I hate black people.

by Anonymousreply 132November 27, 2023 8:51 PM

[130] [131] You're the stupid ones if you don't shop online. Better deals! Order anything you want without being murdered!

by Anonymousreply 133November 27, 2023 10:35 PM

Is Teacake Paul Robson black or Rachel Dolezal black?

by Anonymousreply 134November 27, 2023 11:52 PM

If a man can be a woman a white person can be black.

by Anonymousreply 135November 28, 2023 12:01 AM

And the trans lunatic has arrived!

by Anonymousreply 136November 29, 2023 3:35 PM

And the man can be a woman lunatic has arrived! Have you taken out an ax yet and chopped off your dick and balls? Did you do it on a tree stump? I hope so! Blow up your tits with a bicycle tire pump. Send us pics.

by Anonymousreply 137November 29, 2023 3:46 PM

[quote]And the man can be a woman lunatic has arrived! Have you taken out an ax yet and chopped off your dick and balls?

No. I'm happy with my dick and balls, just just don't care what adults do with theirs, and how they choose to live their lives.

by Anonymousreply 138November 29, 2023 3:48 PM

Yeah and you don't care about how teens mutilate their bodies and they use puberty blockers for children and let men compete in women's sports. Well I'll put it very kindly. You're fucked in the head Joseph Goebbels.

by Anonymousreply 139November 29, 2023 3:54 PM

I said adults, troll.

Your obsession with trans people is disrobing.

by Anonymousreply 140November 29, 2023 3:56 PM

Disturbing *****

by Anonymousreply 141November 29, 2023 3:56 PM

BTW, sorry for derailing the thread, which I guess was r135's intention.

Last post. Really.

by Anonymousreply 142November 29, 2023 3:59 PM

R136 derailed the thread. I was just responding to the post from above remarking about Dolezal.

by Anonymousreply 143November 29, 2023 4:06 PM

Anyway I do care that men who don't transition call themselves women. It's completely rotten.

by Anonymousreply 144November 29, 2023 4:10 PM

It's always the same people.

by Anonymousreply 145November 29, 2023 4:32 PM

Most retail theft is committed by the employees.

These mobs are really disturbing though.

Make this behavior a felony and start locking these people up.

Or just shoot them.

by Anonymousreply 146November 29, 2023 4:57 PM

R146 is this statistically true? I remember many years ago the head of Tower records saying that he wouldn't raise wages because employees make enough in stealing merchandise.

by Anonymousreply 147November 29, 2023 9:48 PM

If someone is shoplifting food, let them be. Otherwise, throw down.

by Anonymousreply 148December 1, 2023 2:11 AM

What if it's Coke and Doritos?

by Anonymousreply 149December 2, 2023 10:08 PM

Stats don't lie. I tried to warn you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150December 2, 2023 11:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!