Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Daryl Hall files lawsuit and restraining order against bandmate John Oates

Daryl Hall, 77, the group’s co-founder, is suing his former bandmate John Oates, 75, according to Axios Nashville reporter Nate Rau, who first reported the suit. The suit by Hall is against Oates as an individual and Oates’s trust.

The pair is known for many chart-topping hits including Kiss on My List, Private Eyes and Maneater.

The lawsuit was filed in Nashville’s chancery court on Thursday, according to court records. The case is categorized as a “contract/debt” dispute, but the court documents detailing the case are sealed, Philadelphia magazine reported.

Hall also filed a restraining order against Oates in addition to the suit, Variety reported. The court issued the temporary restraining order, beginning 30 November.

The suit comes amid public tension between Hall and Oates, Philadelphia magazine reported. Hall said that Oates was not his “creative partner” during an 2022 interview on Bill Maher’s Club Random podcast.

“He’s my business partner. He’s not my creative partner,” Hall said to Maher.

“John and I are brothers, but we are not creative brothers. We are business partners. We made records called Hall & Oates together, but we’ve always been very separate, and that’s a really important thing for me,” Hall added.

Representatives for Hall or Oates could not be reached by the Guardian for comment.

The group have been performing as a duo since 1972, with their debut album Whole Oats. The duo toured together as recently as October 2022, but have toured and recorded separately throughout the years.

The pair has never officially broke up.

In a 2021 Guardian interview, the pair spoke about their impact on commercial radio and garnering more acceptance for “crossover music” amid the disparaging movement against the disco music style.

“One of the things I don’t think we get full credit for is opening up the minds of commercial radio for that possibility,” Oates said to the Guardian.

“We had our early success with black radio – the African American community had been as big a part, if not a bigger part of our success as anything. So to us it was normal, that was the music we made, it appealed to a wide variety of people. I think we opened the door to more acceptance of what they defined as crossover music,” he added.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 1, 2023 6:23 AM

Lover's quarrel?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2023 5:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2023 5:06 PM

You know these two fucked each other.

It's obvious.

The dark haired one looks like an 80's leather queen.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2023 5:11 PM

Do y’all think they ever fucked?

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2023 5:16 PM

R4, see R3.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2023 5:18 PM

The one with the mustache set my gay lust archetype for life and was the star of many lurid fantasies as a youngster.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2023 5:19 PM

Oates looks like Gary Delabate from the Howard Stern show.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2023 5:21 PM

I remember reading an article about Hall's estranged (?) son. He thought his father was going to give him a job, launch him in the entertainment industry, etc. Hall wasn't having it. He seemed to be a bit of prick about it, so suing his long-time business partner doesn't surprise me. They're both in their 70s. He must think it's worth it.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2023 5:48 PM

Hall always looked like a white passing biracial guy.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2023 5:55 PM

No homo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2023 5:55 PM

Who thought this album cover was a good idea?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2023 5:56 PM

I don't understand how anyone could ever have thought that these two guys were gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2023 5:59 PM

They are both truly physically repulsive looking. Hideous.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2023 5:59 PM

I was not prepared to live in a world where even Hall & Oates are divided against each other. If those two can't get along what hope is there for the rest of us?

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2023 6:02 PM

[quote]You know these two fucked each other.

Over the years I got the impression that Hall, at least, was het to a fault.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2023 7:25 PM

This right here is the third horseman.

Hold me David!

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2023 11:39 PM

I'm tired of playing on the team

It seems I don't get time out anymore

What a change if we set the pace face to face

No one even trying to score oh

Oh oh I can feel the magic of your touch

And when you move in close a little bit means so much

Ooh yeah, you've got to understand baby

Time out is what I'm here for

One on one I want to play that game tonight

One on one I know I want to play that

One on one I want to play that game tonight

One on one so slow

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2023 11:41 PM

What I want, you've got and it might be hard to handle

But like a flame that burns the candle, the candle feeds the flame

Yeah, yeah, what I've got, full stock of thoughts and dreams that scatter

And you pull them all together, and how, I can't explain

Oh, yeah, well, well, you (Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh)

You make my dreams come true

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2023 11:43 PM

Easy, ready, willing, overtime

Where does it stop?

Where do you dare me To draw the line?

You've got the body

Now you want my soul

Don't even think about it

Say, "No go"

Yeah, I, I'll do anything

That you want me to

Yeah, I'll do almost anything

That you want me to, ooh

Yeah

But I can't go for that, no (No)

No can do

I can't go for that, no (No)

No can do

I can't go for that, no (No)

No can do

I can't go for that

Can't go for that

Can't go for that

Can't go for that

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2023 11:46 PM

You're a rich girl, and you've gone too far

'Cause you know it don't matter anyway

You can rely on the old man's money

You can rely on the old man's money

It's a bitch girl but it's gone too far

'Cause you know it don't matter anyway

Say money, but it won't get you too far

Get you too far

And don't you know, don't you know

That it's wrong to take what is given you

So far gone, on your own

You could get along if you try to be strong

But you'll never be strong 'cause

You're a rich girl, and you've gone too far

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2023 11:52 PM

Hey

If we can solve any problem

Then why do we lose so many tears?

Oh, so you go again

When the leading man appears

… Always the same thing

Can't you see

We've got everything

Going on and on and on

… Every time you go away

You take a piece of me with you

Every time you go away

You take a piece of me with you, ooh

… Go on and go free, yeah

Maybe you're too close to see

I can feel your body move

Doesn't mean that much to me

… I can't go on

Saying the same thing

'Cause can't you see?

We got everything

Baby, even though you know

… Every time you go away, yeah

You take a piece of me with you, oh

Every time you go away

You take a piece of me with you

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2023 11:55 PM

You play with words you play with love

You can twist it around baby that ain't enough

'Cause girl I'm gonna know

If you're letting me in or letting me go

Don't lie when you're hurting inside

'Cause you can't escape my

Private eyes

They're watching you

They see your every move

Private eyes

They're watching you

Private eyes

They're watching you watching

You watching you watching you

Why you try to put up a front for me

I'm a spy but on your side you see

Slip on, into any disguise

I'll still know you

Look into my

Private eyes

They're watching you

They see your every move

Private eyes

They're watching you

Private eyes

They're watching you

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2023 12:00 AM

They really did write some good songs.

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2023 6:22 PM

[quote] They really did write some good songs.

Not they. ME!

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2023 6:23 PM

R15 Hall gave an early Rolling Stone interview where he said he had lots of sexual encounters with guys and Rich Girl was actually about a Rich Boy.

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2023 6:26 PM

Are you serious, R25???

I have to look that up.

I am so turned on right now, because Daryl was cute back in the day.

I wonder if he's a top or a bottom.

Oates looks like a bottom.

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2023 6:33 PM

Who cares about these z listers?

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2023 6:37 PM

It was the hottest!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2023 6:45 PM

[quote] Hall always looked like a white passing biracial guy.

Hall or Oates?

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2023 6:50 PM

John Oates doesn’t quite remember how many kisses were on his list.

The legendary mustachioed rocker, who is one half of the hit-making yacht rock duo Hall & Oates, opened up about his sexual past in a recent interview, admitting that he’s lost track of how many women he slept with back during the height of the duo’s success.

“I’m sure it was thousands,” Oates, 71, told the New York Post‘s Page Six. “I’ve lost track.”

“If you didn’t live through the ’70s and ’80s, if you weren’t a rockstar during that time, there’s no way you can comprehend what it was like,” Oates added of the culture at the time. “There were no cell phones and people taking pictures of everything you did. There was no social media.”

As scandalous as it sounds, the “Maneater” singer said that his romantic rendezvous were “much more innocent” at the time.

“I used to meet girls in various towns and sort of have a relationship,” said Oates, who has been married to his second wife since 1994. “I might see them and then see them six months later.”

The one things Oates and his partner Daryl Hall didn’t do? Cocaine.

“Coke was ubiquitous. Daryl and I never had our issues with it because we never did it,” Oates said. “I tried it back in the Studio 54 days and it made me feel so uncomfortable that I couldn’t do it. It just wasn’t my thing. Both Daryl and I knew that we were going to be musicians for the rest of our lives and the only way for us to be musicians for the rest of our lives was to keep our s— together.”

Oates and Hall, 73, were close friends and roommates at Temple University, meeting in 1967 and combing their efforts into Hall & Oates back in 1970.

The band is the best-selling music duo in history, with 40 million records sold and a total of six No. 1 hits on the Billboard hot 100 — “Rich Girl,” “Maneater,” “Private Eyes,’ “Kiss on My List,” “I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do)” and “Out of Touch.” Other Top 40 hits have included “You Make My Dreams,” “Sara Smile,” “She’s Gone,” and “Say It Isn’t So.”

Their success has earned Hall & Oates a sea of accolades, with spots in both the Songwriters Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

And though they’ve been together 50 years this year, the two show no signs of stopping, still frequently touring throughout the country (like they are now).

Even the thought of a farewell tour doesn’t cross them.

“I don’t think we’d ever do a farewell tour,” Oates told Rolling Stone in January. “Every farewell tour I’ve ever heard about didn’t turn out to be a farewell tour, so I don’t know what the hell that means. Sure, if it’s a marketing ploy, hey, why not? Everyone needs a hook. Everyone need a schtick. Whatever.”

In fact, both said that once their current tour wraps, they’ll be working on new music. The songs will be the first original tunes Hall & Oates have dropped since 2003’s Do It for Love.

The one thing you won’t see from Oates anymore though? His once-iconic mustache, which he shaved off years ago.

“[It] felt like shedding my skin metaphorically,” he told Page Six. “I wanted to be a different person. I didn’t want to be that 80s guy with the giant mustache and it was more of a ceremonial shaving. I shaved it off, it was gone. I became someone else.”

Instead, he rocks a trimmed goatee — which makes him “the patron saint of facial hair” for the millennial generation, he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2023 6:53 PM

[quote] Why is Daryl Hall suing John Oates? Net worths compared as former bandmates head towards legal battle

Daryl Hall and John Oatеs have been involved in a legal battle for some time, and now a temporary rеstraining order has been issued against thе lattеr. Thе ordеr comеs as a rеsult of a lawsuit that was filеd on Novеmbеr 16, 2023, and othеr dеtails about thе lawsuit arе yеt to bе rеvеalеd officially.

Daryl and John formed their group, Hall & Oates, in 1970 and released 18 albums until now. But apart from that, both singers have pursued successful solo careers over the years, where they have released multiple musical projects.

Daryl Hall and John Oates' flawless work as musicians has contributed to their earnings. John's net worth is said to be $60 million, while Daryl's net worth is $70 million.

Although detailed information about the lawsuit remains unknown, John Oates was sued by Daryl Hall, and the former was seeking a restraining order. USA Today states that, apart from Oates, his wife Aimee and Richard Flynn's names have also been mentioned in the lawsuit.

The duo's representatives are not available to comment on the matter, but a hearing date has been fixed for now, which is November 30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2023 7:17 PM

Seems uncool to keep emphasizing that Oates is his business partner, but not his creative partner. Just let the writing credits speak for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2023 7:23 PM

Hall wants to dictate what songs of theirs Oates can sing solo.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2023 7:30 PM

Why is Hall such an ass?

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2023 11:47 PM

All has been revealed. Hall is trying to prevent Oates from selling his share of the duo’s Whole Oats Enterprises to an investment firm, which already purchased a “significant” stake in their catalog rights 16 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 25, 2023 11:41 PM

Daryl Hannah is 77 years old!?

I didn't know she was so old.

by Anonymousreply 36November 25, 2023 11:43 PM

That's a very good reason to sue him and seek a restraining order, R35.

#TeamHall

by Anonymousreply 37November 26, 2023 12:20 AM

Aw, man I wish it had been about some gay photos of them together but from like 50 years ago...

by Anonymousreply 38November 26, 2023 12:35 AM

I don't understand why Oates should not be able to cash out.

by Anonymousreply 39November 26, 2023 12:40 AM

[quote] I don't understand why Oates should not be able to cash out.

Clearly, he has seen how musicians like Katy Perry are cashing in on $200,000,000 pay days for their catalogs, and he wants a piece of that.

But Hall is a partial owner of that catalog, so they both have to agree to it.

That's what happens when you're in a group, versus a solo act. You can't make unilateral decisions.

by Anonymousreply 40November 26, 2023 12:45 AM

I have to add that Hall should just give in already.

If his intention is to maintain the integrity of the music of Hall and Oates, well it's already too late for that.

I'm hearing their music all over television commercials.

That one Burger King commercial keeps playing "You Make My Dreams Come True" over and over again.

So for all intents and purposes, they've already sold out, and might as well go all the way.

by Anonymousreply 41November 26, 2023 12:53 AM

There should be a biopic made of them, featuring Sigourney Weaver as Hall and Geraldo Rivera (or, Lili Tyler) as Oates.

by Anonymousreply 42November 26, 2023 2:33 AM

So, according to the article linked at R35, H & O agreed to sell a 50% share of their publishing to Primary Wave in 2007 for around $15M. That probably sounded like a lot back then but Bob Dylan, The Eagles and many others have been clinching deals worth 20 - 30 times more than that. Hall must be upset that they missed the boat on that one (I would be too) sand may want to buy back his rights so that he can sell them for what they would be worth now.

Instead, Oates is apparently now selling his remaining 25% share to Primary Wave which would give them control of the catalogue (being able to license it for any purpose they want, no matter how distasteful, with Hall having no power to stop them. I wouldn't be surprised if Oates has made bank in "selling out" his partner.

by Anonymousreply 43November 26, 2023 3:53 AM

[quote] Hall must be upset that they missed the boat on that one

Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 26, 2023 4:03 AM

Wait … the Eagles sold their copyrights?

by Anonymousreply 45November 26, 2023 4:19 AM

Sorry, R45, you're right - The Eagles didn't, apart from Joe Walsh (who did). I thought I heard they had but I can't see any evidence for that online.

Springsteen sold his, which was a real surprise to me.

by Anonymousreply 46November 26, 2023 4:51 AM

Joe Walsh seems like he’d be the one to liquidate that asset.

by Anonymousreply 47November 26, 2023 7:07 AM

I'm just amazed that entertainment partners are more often than not too stupid to not have legally binding agreements that if either wants to sell out the other partner must get first refusal.

by Anonymousreply 48November 26, 2023 10:34 AM

[quote] Hall & Oates Lawsuit Ruling: Judge Blocks Oates From Selling to Primary Wave (For Now)

The Nashville judge overseeing the bitter lawsuit between Hall & Oates sided with Daryl Hall on Thursday (Nov. 3) and ruled that John Oates temporarily cannot sell his share of the band’s joint venture to Primary Wave until a private arbitrator hears the case.

Hours after attorneys for the two singers squared off in court, Chancellor Russell Perkins agreed to extend an existing restraining order that’s been blocking Oates from selling his share of their joint venture to industry heavyweight Primary Wave.

Without such an order in place, Perkins ruled that Hall might face the “irreparable harm” of the sale being finalized before he is able to prove his claim that the deal violates the terms of their partnership deal.

“If the transfer goes forward before the arbitrator has an opportunity to consider and rule upon plaintiffs’ application for interim injunctive relief in the arbitration, then it could, as a practical matter, render much of the relief Plaintiffs are seeking in the arbitration ineffectual,” Perkins wrote.

The new restraining order bars Oates from completing his sale to Primary Wave until February or until an arbitrator can decide whether to impose a similar restraining order — whichever comes first.

Neither side immediately returned a request for comment on Thursday.

Hall & Oates pumped out six chart-topping singles and four chart-topping albums during the 1970s and 1980s and continued to successfully tour as recently as last year. But in early November, Hall filed a private arbitration case against Oates, accusing him of violating their partnership agreement by attempting to sell his half to Primary Wave, a prominent music company that’s purchased catalogs and other IP linked to many iconic musicians in recent years.

Fearing the deal would close before the arbitration case was heard, Hall then filed the current lawsuit in Tennessee, seeking a court order to block the sale. Perkins quickly did so, blocking the Primary Wave sale from closing until Thursday when he could hear from both sides.

At a live hearing in Davidson County Chancery Court earlier on Thursday, a who’s-who of music attorneys battled over whether to extend the restraining order. Representing Hall was Christine Lepera of the law firm Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp, who argued that it would be “most efficient” to put the sale on ice until the arbitrator could weigh in. Derek Crownover from the firm Loeb & Loeb LLP, representing Oates, fired back that no additional injunction was needed — that Hall was “not entitled to any relief at all.”

Though the case started out under seal and shrouded in mystery, the legal battle between Hall & Oates has turned increasingly public — and increasingly nasty — over the last week.

On Wednesday, Hall said he had been “blindsided” by the Primary Wave deal and called it the “ultimate partnership betrayal” by his former partner. “Respectfully, he must be stopped from this latest wrongdoing and his malicious conduct reined in once and for all,” Hall wrote of Oates.

Hours later, Oates said in his own declaration that he was “tremendously disappointed” that Hall would make such “inflammatory, outlandish, and inaccurate statements” about him. “I can only say that Daryl’s accusations that I breached our agreement, went ‘behind’ his back, ‘acted in bad faith,’ and the like, are not true,” Oates wrote.

Following Thursday’s decision, the case will now head to private arbitration, for which an arbitrator has already been selected but an initial hearing has not yet been scheduled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 1, 2023 3:48 AM

bitter divorce

by Anonymousreply 50December 1, 2023 6:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!