Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anybody else's parents never teach them anything?

Not even how to drive?

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2023 2:19 AM

No, my parents were pretty good teachers. They both taught public school, but I mean they were good life skill teachers as much as they knew, things like doing my taxes, cooking, changing a tire, how to properly shine my shoes, and those things.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2023 9:46 PM

My parents taught me a lot. I watched how they lived their miserable lives and did the opposite with mine. I'm grateful.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2023 9:51 PM

I learned how to be a spoiled bitch

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2023 10:07 PM

The first word out of my mouth was gape

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2023 10:10 PM

I was a kid with ADHD and lacked impulse control so my parents taught me a lot of things just to keep me alive.

My dad did teach me to drive but most people I knew were taught by friends and siblings and by the time they got to driver’s ed in school already were pretty good at driving.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2023 10:17 PM

My dad was not around and never acknowledged me

My mom, I guess she did the best she could. She had the mentality of teenage girl in perpetuity

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2023 10:25 PM

Be thankful you have a mind and can learn now. It’s never ever too late.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2023 10:27 PM

Both of my were drunks but they taught me a great deal.

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2023 10:55 PM

They taught me very little that one would consider “practical”. My father taught me a lot factually and from an intellectual perspective but nothing I could use to accomplish tasks. My mother taught me manners and civility. It didn’t help that I’m autistic with limited hand/eye coordination. I don’t know how to cook, iron, repair anything mechanical, etc. I “farm” out all those things.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2023 12:38 AM

How could your parents not teach you anything, OP, unless they were major substance abusers and out of it most of the time?

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2023 12:42 AM

My mom never taught me anything. That's how I ended up like this. And she's a vengeful witch.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2023 12:44 AM

Bet you can wrap a gift in nothing flat, r11.

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2023 1:06 AM

My dad and I really didn't get along, especially when I was in my teens. He tried taking me out on the weekends for driving lessons and we would just end up yelling and arguing with each other. It got so bad my Driver's Ed teacher said he'd rather I NOT practice than practice with my dad as any progress I made during the week was lost over the weekend. I stopped driving with my dad and proceeded to pass my driver's test on the first try. Happily, we could actually talk to each other FINALLY in the last 6 or 7 years of his life. Both my Mom and Dad were very good with money and tried to teach me about finances but both my sister and I were financial train wrecks. She luckily married a very frugal accountant. Sadly, it took a codependent marriage to a guy just as bad with money and a bankruptcy before I finally started following my parents financial advice...better late than never. I miss them both.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2023 1:19 AM

R13, are you a Nunavutian?

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2023 1:32 AM

My mom talks about architecture, but she never teaches me anything about it.

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2023 1:33 AM

My parents outsourced everything.

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2023 1:35 AM

In the presence of my mother & some outsider, I once attributed to her some wise advice (that she never offered). She shook her head as if to claim ownership. I quickly shot that down by saying, “ You never said that.”

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2023 1:51 AM

Mee-ow.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2023 1:52 AM

No, I'm from Ontario, r14 However, I will be visiting Nunavut as part of a cruise through the Northwest Passage late next summer.

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2023 1:54 AM

I am so envious, R19. Please greet the Nunavutians on my behalf.

On a separate note, interesting that the Northwest Passage is now, well, passable as a result of global warming. It may be a source of global friction later this century.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2023 1:57 AM

Youngest of 6, not taught much. Learned from much older siblings. Also my parents would be considered alcoholics today, I think.

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2023 2:02 AM

[quote]Bet you can wrap a gift in nothing flat, R11.

Yeah but I'm not going to get a minimum wage job wrapping gifts at a store at Christmas time. That's beneath me. I'd rather starve.

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2023 2:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!