Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did I See What I Think I Saw?

I thought I saw a rocket blow up on Saturday. But I can’t find any news articles about this. Nor can I find anything about this on social media.

All I find is wonderment and praise at the great success of Elon Musk and his company. “Well done! A flawless performance for Space X. A brilliant success.”

Am I in Soviet Russia? “The great and glorious Red Army salutes its brilliant success in Afghanistan!”

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2023 6:21 PM

OP, how dare you question the brilliance of our inspired leader? He needs to blow up many, many rockets on his relentless path to perfecting them. You'll be grateful when you're farming lichens on Mars, far away from Earth's sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2023 2:34 PM

Yes, you did see that, but nobody died, so it's OK.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2023 2:36 PM

Yeah there was coverage of it. You're not seeing things. Everything Elon touches turns to shit.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2023 3:12 PM

I saw the clip. When the booster separated there were loud cheers.

But then, the detached booster blew up.

That wasn't supposed to happen.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2023 3:18 PM

The rocket blew up, too

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2023 3:20 PM

There were a lot of impressive successes, even if they didn't achieve all their goals. It was successful at fixing things that failed on the first test flight. The launchpad wasn't destroyed (it was hardened and the new fantastic water deluge system worked well). The first stage flight was flawless (no failed engines this time). The stages separated flawlessly (last time it spun out of contol). The 2nd stage burn was flawless (first fully-fueled flight in space), etc. Musk is an asshole, but SpaceX is unquestionably the most impressive company flying.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2023 3:29 PM

That’s because he’s basically let Gwynne Shotwell run SpaceX r6. SpaceX hired a ton of people who were laid off during the 90s and 2000s when the shuttle and other space programs were winding down.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2023 3:43 PM

ArsTechnica is arguing the test achieved what it set out to do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2023 3:58 PM

Agreed, R7. Its success is becoming more and more in spite of Elon than because of him.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2023 4:03 PM

The operation was a success, but the patient died, r8.

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2023 4:08 PM

I think the author's point is that these Starship test rockets are expendable so that future Starships won't be. They need to nail the launch and they did manage to achieve that. Now onto landing, then actually breaking orbit.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2023 4:12 PM

This is the same process they used in developing the Falcon 9, which is now the most reliable, least wasteful, and cheapest launch system in the world. It works.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2023 4:21 PM

OP

First: you missed it because the entire world stopped and there is no longer any news since Israel went to war.

2. Elon said the rocket did exactly what it was supposed to do (because he would never tell us otherwise) so it was no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2023 4:27 PM

I believe they described the explosion as an “unintentional detonation.”

Sort of like when the Russian lunar lander crashed after it “successfully intercepted” the moon.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2023 6:16 PM

Exactly r9, I worked in the industry, we were potential customers of the rocket back then. Met Elon once years and years ago, never thinking he was really impressive. But met Gwynne many times, she’s the real deal.

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2023 6:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!