Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joe Manchin is trying to play spoiler - vows to mobilize the ‘radical middle’

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) attacked President Biden in a vow to mobilize the “radical middle.”

“Joe Biden has been pulled so far to the left, the extreme left, as far as liberal,” Manchin told radio host John Catsimatidis in a Sunday interview on “The Cats Roundtable” on WABC 770 AM. “Makes no sense at all. It’s not the person we thought was gonna bring the country together.”

Manchin also decried current political polarization, saying it’s dividing Washington.

“Washington wants you and I to be divided, and the rest of America to be divided because it’s a better business model for ’em,” he said. “So, I came to the conclusion I can’t change — I’ve been here 13 years. I’m not going to change it from within. And I’ve decide[d] to go around and see if I can mobilize the radical middle.”

Last week, Manchin said he wouldn’t seek reelection to the Senate, and he noted he “absolutely” would think about a run for the presidency in an interview that aired Wednesday.

“I will do anything I can to help my country, and you’re saying, ‘Does that mean you would consider it?’ Absolutely. Every American should consider it if they’re in a position to help save the country,” Manchin told NBC’s “Meet the Press” host Kristen Welker.

Manchin has also said he’s considering leaving the Democratic party.

“The business of politics has gotten so big because the business model is a Democrat business and a Republican business, and it’s really forgotten about the people to a certain extent,” Manchin said in a CNN interview Wednesday.

“All they want is 51 or greater to be the majority, and then they do so much damage trying to get there,” he continued.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2023 3:42 AM

"Joe Biden has been pulled so far to the left, the extreme left, as far as liberal".

Manchin is parroting what the MAGA crowd says. That's basically all you need to know about Manchin.

Oh, and by the way, John Catsimatidis is a human turd.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2023 1:15 AM

The problem R1, is that he will siphon votes away from Joe Biden, and not Donald Trump.

It's a HUGE problem. Especially if he's successful at "mobilizing the radical middle."

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2023 1:19 AM

Does he really think he has a shot at becoming President?

What a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2023 5:05 PM

The "radical middle"?

As if.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2023 5:15 PM

He’s a prick.

He can shut his lie hole and crawl back to the holler he slithered out of.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2023 5:24 PM

[quote] Senate Democrats warn Manchin that running for president would risk disaster

Sen. Joe Manchin’s (D-W.Va.) flirtation with a third-party presidential bid after announcing his upcoming retirement from the Senate is sparking anxiety among Democratic senators who warn that Manchin would make a big mistake if he challenges President Biden.

Democratic lawmakers say that if Manchin runs for president as an independent, it will hurt Biden’s reelection chances and could result in what they view as the nightmare scenario of electing Donald Trump to a second White House term.

Democratic senators were less concerned about a potential Manchin presidential run a few months ago, when they thought he was still likely to run for another Senate term.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2023 6:20 PM

America is so far to the right that our political rhetoric is literally absurd. Claims like "Joe Biden is a radical leftist" aren't just immediately mocked and dismissed you can say this kind of stuff seriously and maintain a credible standing.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2023 6:26 PM

Which Democrats would vote for him? I'm having a hard time thinking of any that he would appeal to. On paper, doesn't he conform to moderate Republicans instead?

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2023 6:38 PM

Who is the "radical middle"?

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2023 6:47 PM

Everything Manchin said needs to be viewed through the Republican prism of lies, deceit and half-truths. So, when he says "Joe Biden has been pulled so far to the left, the extreme left, as far as liberal,” what he's really saying is that the right has gone so far off the conservative deep end that we really don't have a frame of reference for where our left is.

I have a friend who lives in London (at present) and when we discuss politics he reminds me that everywhere else in the world our "liberal left" is so far to the right as to be unrecognizable, and our right and far-right are pretty much insane. Our latest discussion ended up questioning that the Republicans have simply decided that if they can't own and control everything they'll just burn it all down with their belief being that when it's rebuilt it will somehow reckon closer to what they want (a Christofascist theocratic military dictatorship). The sad part is that our far left (mostly the younger generation) suffers with the same delusion as they spout demands that Biden withdraw all of our support for Israel while unconditionally supporting Palestine and otherwise they'll vote for Trump (despite knowing that it is his intent to end democracy, the rule of law and ultimately the American way of life).

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2023 6:48 PM

[quote] Which Democrats would vote for him? I'm having a hard time thinking of any that he would appeal to. On paper, doesn't he conform to moderate Republicans instead?

Correct.

But in a game of turnout numbers, Biden may need those center-right votes to put him over the top--especially if the far left follow Rashida Taleb and Cardi B in sitting out the election because they don't understand politics and got their feelings hurt.

Secondly, pardon me if this has been said upthread but...have we considered the possibility that he's being PAID to be a spoiler? Yes, his hubris is legendary but so is his greed.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2023 6:58 PM

It’s the extreme center not the radical middle.

Manchin maybe running but only as VP. No one is going to thrown their money away supporting that Joe except for maybe the GOP. By himself he does not hurt Biden, Any more than he hurts trump.

As a VP with a popular head of the ticket he would be big trouble. Maybe Romney.

If so I’d not be surprised to see a 1/3 1/3 1/3 split in the votes. With the greens making the difference?

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2023 6:59 PM

[quote] Secondly, pardon me if this has been said upthread but...have we considered the possibility that he's being PAID to be a spoiler?

That was my first thought, as well.

The way he ran for the exit to leave his seat in Congress?

Bullshit. Someone paid him to do it.

Some rich Republican who WANTS Manchin to be a spoiler.

Manchin doesn't give a shit. He wasn't a real Democrat any way..

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2023 7:04 PM

There's no such thing as a "moderate Republican"

Get 'a load of this guy here who hates tRump but refuses to support President Biden because (...checks notes...) the presidency is too powerful, which stifles industry, which means we should install the wannabe dictator so we have justification for muzzling his power...

(or something)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2023 11:12 PM

"Who is the "radical middle"?"

Independents. I like Manchin.

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2023 11:15 PM

Can't he just fuck off?

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2023 11:16 PM

[quote]The problem [R1], is that he will siphon votes away from Joe Biden, and not Donald Trump. It's a HUGE problem. Especially if he's successful at "mobilizing the radical middle."

Is there any real evidence that there are more center-left voters looking for an excuse not to vote for Biden than there are center-right voters looking for an excuse not to vote for Trump?

[quote]Manchin may be running but only as VP.

Who the hell is going to put a 76-year-old conserva-Dem from West Virginia in the VP slot? This whole notion of "the center" being well to the right of Democrats just won't die no matter how many elections belie it.

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2023 11:23 PM

Why, R15?

I find him to be a two-faced, back-handed, money-grubbing, egomaniacally-driven, half-witted, Christo-fascist good 'ole boy. Please explain what there is to like in that.

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2023 11:36 PM

[quote] Is there any real evidence that there are more center-left voters looking for an excuse not to vote for Biden than there are center-right voters looking for an excuse not to vote for Trump?

In a race where the margin of votes in each SWING STATE is razor thin, It could absolutely make a difference to have Manchin in the race.

That is exactly how Al Gore lost to George W. Bush in Florida. By a miniscule number of votes.

Joe Biden will have an uphill battle with just Donald Trump in the race. He doesn't need other candidates sucking away votes.

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2023 1:41 AM

R19, I was asking whether Trump or Biden would benefit most from a third-party Manchin campaign. You assume there are more Biden voters on the fence who would be attracted by Manchin because of his "centrist" policies. An argument could be made that there are more Trump voters on the fence who would be grateful for a conservative alternative to Trump's chaos. But in the end I doubt Manchin has the appeal to pull even a razor-thin margin from either side.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2023 2:51 AM

Manchin is not going to run at the top,of the ticket. But the No Name Party is trying to draft a ticket of Romney-Manchin, Romney has been quiet. Manchin seems to be active putting this together.

If Romney thinks Biden can’t win he may enter in an attempt to save the country from trump. Allegedly he has previously ruled out running so as to not hurt Biden, But if he thinks Biden can’t win.

The only old that would suffer in that 3 Party race would be those who come across as really old.

Biden-Harris

Romney- Manchin

Trump-Scott

That would be one wtf crapshoot.

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2023 3:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!