Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Packaging that’s a bitch to open

Is it aging or is packaging getting harder to open?

Clamshell packaging is an abomination.

Goddamned all packaging is a royal pain these days, and I’m sick and tired of hurting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2023 3:15 PM

Seek help

by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2023 3:56 AM

the one that gets ,me is the hermetic seal on a canister of coffee. I ususally make two of three effors to streip the hermetic seal off and then give up and just piece it with a pair of scissors.

by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2023 4:03 AM

Right there with you, OP. Clamshell is the worst. I have to cut most things open with scissors and even then I'm struggling to remove shit. And I always end up with cuts.

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2023 5:05 AM

OP at home…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2023 1:18 PM

30 years ago I put together race car models. All the parts are on a molded plastic "tree." I no longer do plastic models but the plastic cutters I bought are still used whenever this type of packaging is present.

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2023 2:07 PM

I was diagnosed with arthritis in March, but always had poor grip strength so opening stuff is no fun for me. I have a really good pair of shears and developed a system for clamshells. The worst for me are packages of coffee. The adhesive so strong that it requires a lot of pulling. Sometimes I can do it, sometimes I resort to scissors

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2023 2:30 PM

And are you tender to the touch, dear?

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2023 2:48 PM

Packaged cold cuts are the worst. They begin with a deceptively easy tear-off strip, but it only reveals an impregnable seal despite the appearance of a ziploc opener.

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2023 2:51 PM

There's a special place in hell for whomever invented those little pull tab seals on the top of juice bottles, ketchup, etc.

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2023 2:58 PM

Imodium. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2023 3:00 PM

Honestly, OP, I almost broke down and cried when, even assisted by those rubber jar openers, I couldn't open a pickle jar. But then my sister told me to bang the lid with the end of a butter knife, and it's been good ever since.

Still I have problems with many other things. I pulled the plastic lid off a small container of pineapples and when it opened, they flew out all over the kitchen floor.

That's why I keep scissors in my utensil drawer in the kitchen and a tiny Victorinox pocketknife on my keychain. You wouldn't believe how often that little penknife comes in handy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2023 3:09 PM

[quote] the plastic cutters I bought are still used whenever this type of packaging is present.

R5, can you post a photo of the plastic cutters?

I eat canned mackerel packed in oil. It comes in a rectangular can with a pull tab on top. I dislike opening that can because of the possible oil splash and I've cut myself before on that type of can.

by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2023 3:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!