Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

OpenAI’s Board Pushes Out Sam Altman, Its High-Profile C.E.O.

Who knows what's up? Please give us an idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 15, 2024 5:29 PM

non paywall link below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2023 1:15 AM

non paywall link below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2023 1:16 AM

Who is this fag?

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2023 1:29 AM

There must be scandal brewing.

[bold]#Cancelled!

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2023 1:33 AM

Err, I’m R1 (Matty, but don’t tell my scolding daughter I’ve used that word here.)

(If that little cunt only knew I’ve been fucking Caribbean black boys on the DL, that little bitch would shut up.)

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2023 1:33 AM

He raped her 4 yrs old sister when he was 15 . And then he turned gay

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2023 1:37 AM

R6, he was 13. Or so she says.

I find it hard to believe he would be ousted for a he said/she said accusation from when he was a tween since these guys are usuallygiven a wide berth....unless there are other victims

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2023 1:39 AM

Kara Swisher is talking about this on twitter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2023 1:49 AM

WTF?

Was this common knowledge or a new revelation?

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2023 1:50 AM

Does anyone know if Sam is from the same lineage of "Altman's" into which Linda Carter married? ( I know it's not an uncommon name)

BTW, for those who perused article, that's a HARD-looking bunch of Executives in that featured photo.

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2023 2:00 AM

Not that it clarifies whether or not her claims are true, but his sister is obviously unwell. That's why her accusations have struggled to gain traction, though she'll get a lot more attention now. She also accused another sibling of abuse and believes there's a conspiracy to shadow-ban her across social media platforms. Except she writes all of this freely on social media.

by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2023 2:06 AM

He needed to go.

by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2023 2:57 AM

^ Why? Do you know something?

by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2023 2:58 AM

One of the board members who pushed him out, Tasha McCauley, is Joseph Gordon-Levitt's wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2023 3:27 AM

R14, interesting, I didn't know that

by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2023 3:49 AM

Slate.com talks about how the sister MIGHT figure into all this. No one yet apparently knows for sure.

[quote] The news (of Altman's firing) has reinvited speculation around some ugly allegations. For a lengthy September profile of Sam Altman, New York magazine’s Elizabeth Weil spoke in depth with his younger sister, Annie Altman, who explained how she fell out with her family more broadly, citing Sam’s emotional callousness and tech-world ambitions. The profile then brought attention to a series of years-old tweets from Annie in which she alleged “experiencing sexual, physical, emotional, verbal, financial, and technological abuse from my biological siblings, mostly Sam Altman.”

[quote] To be clear, these statements were not a part of the profile, and we have not heard anything directly from Annie either in regard to the accusations or to Sam’s ouster. (The only Twitter action Annie has taken since the news broke is to retweet a call from a tech researcher to “join me in saying FUCK YOU SAM! by supporting his sister Annie, a brilliant human & sex worker who survived years of that shithead’s abuse!”)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2023 3:53 AM

So she’s a whore?

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2023 3:59 AM

She talked about the alleged abuse from her brother (including "forced Zoloft") in this vid from Twitter on October 8th.

What does it mean to be "technologically abused." ????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2023 4:06 AM

r18 No offence, but his sister seems highly unhinged.

Also, what's with all these people having memories from when they were four? Miriam Margolyes said she had her first orgasm aged three. Am I the only one who basically doesn't remember a thing before the age of five or six?

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2023 4:11 AM

I have some memories starting from when I was about 18 months old, R19, but I wouldn’t exactly call them [italic]reliable[/italic] 🤷🏻

by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2023 4:17 AM

His sister sounds toxic.

by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2023 4:52 AM

He's a Peter Thiel "protege" so I bet he is plenty toxic himself

by Anonymousreply 22November 18, 2023 5:11 AM

Running his mouth on twitter:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 18, 2023 5:22 AM

Greg Brockman, the OpenAI President, resigned after he found out that Sam Altman had been fired.

This is what he claims he knows about the Altman firing (click the Show More link in the tweet below):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 18, 2023 5:31 AM

Kara Swisher tweets:

[quote] The board members who voted against Altman felt he was manipulative and headstrong and wanted to do what he wanted to do. That sounds like a typical SV (Silicon Valley) CEO to me, but this might not be a typical SV company. They certainly have a lot of explaining to do.

[quote] Would be eager to hear actual specifics of their concerns and also evidence that they tried to inform him if they had problems and gave him a chance to respond and change. If not, it looks cloddish.

Maybe Altman's sister issue wasn't an issue in the firing.

by Anonymousreply 25November 18, 2023 5:52 AM

If erectile dysfunction had a face, it would resemble Sam Altman.

by Anonymousreply 26November 18, 2023 7:14 AM

Kara and Scott have had their name-dropping social-climbing tongues lodged deeply up Sam's asscrack for some time.

by Anonymousreply 27November 18, 2023 7:39 AM

Details emerge and it's nothing at all scandalous. The majority on the board – led by Chief Scientist Ilya Sutskever – had concerns about the speed and safety of OpenAI's tech deployment and wanted to slow things down because OpenAI is still a non-profit.

Microsoft CEO reportedly furious over this coup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 18, 2023 2:26 PM

"felt he was manipulative and headstrong and wanted to do what he wanted to do"

Wait until people hear about this guy named Elon Musk!

by Anonymousreply 29November 18, 2023 4:28 PM

Our story continues, probably with an assist from an angry Microsoft (my guess):

[quote] OpenAI board in discussions with Sam Altman to return as CEO

[quote] The OpenAI board is in discussions with Sam Altman to return to the company as its CEO, according to multiple people familiar with the matter. One of them said Altman, who was suddenly fired by the board on Friday with no notice, is “ambivalent” about coming back and would want significant governance changes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 18, 2023 11:28 PM

Somehow, I think we're not getting the full story here

by Anonymousreply 31November 18, 2023 11:55 PM

[quote]r28 Details emerge and it's nothing at all scandalous.

Too little, too late.

[bold] #Cancelled

by Anonymousreply 32November 19, 2023 12:24 AM

For all the money Microsoft has given, it should have been given a majority of the board seats.

by Anonymousreply 33November 19, 2023 12:25 AM

R32, except he's not "cancelled" at all

by Anonymousreply 34November 19, 2023 12:42 AM

[quote]Leading shareholders in OpenAI, including Microsoft and venture firm Thrive Capital, are helping orchestrate the efforts to reinstate Altman.

Founder of Thrive Capital is Joshua Kushner, Jared Kushner's brother. The world of the filthy rich is relatively small.

by Anonymousreply 35November 19, 2023 9:25 AM

I don’t know where this is heading but this reply salad is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 36November 19, 2023 10:39 AM

Strange story.

You don’t fire the figurehead of a THRIVING organisation, only to beg for him to come back days later.

by Anonymousreply 37November 19, 2023 1:23 PM

They should let Al run the company.

by Anonymousreply 38November 19, 2023 1:29 PM

[quote] You don’t fire the figurehead of a THRIVING organization, only to beg for him to come back days later.

The ones firing don't beg him. The group in the board who wanted to maintain the slower non-profit path kicked him out. The group in the board who follow him to maintain the for profit approach plus Microsoft as a (or THE) major stakeholder/customer want him re-instated. There seems to be a good chance that Satya Nadella gets his way. The current board may actually be forced out and Altman and Brockman get reinstated.

by Anonymousreply 39November 19, 2023 3:59 PM

Oh, to be a fly on the wall in the Gordon-Levitt household right now. Both their careers lowkey circling the drain.

by Anonymousreply 40November 19, 2023 4:02 PM

[quote] Founder of Thrive Capital is Joshua Kushner, Jared Kushner's brother. The world of the filthy rich is relatively small.

I read somewhere that Joshua is nothing like his brother, he’s actually supportive of liberal causes and a democrat.

by Anonymousreply 41November 19, 2023 4:41 PM

[bold]#CANCELLED!

by Anonymousreply 42November 19, 2023 7:41 PM

He has BDF.

by Anonymousreply 43November 19, 2023 9:22 PM

He has gayface and plastic surgery face

by Anonymousreply 44November 19, 2023 9:45 PM

He IS gay.

by Anonymousreply 45November 19, 2023 9:54 PM

He has plastic surgery didn't work face

by Anonymousreply 46November 19, 2023 10:13 PM

Sam was back at OpenAI with a guest pass this weekend. He's not back as CEO of OpenAI (yet), but he's talking with them about stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2023 10:46 PM

^^ the entitlement!

“First and last time I ever wear one of these”

by Anonymousreply 48November 20, 2023 12:49 AM

Ilya Sutskever voted with other board members last week to surprise-fire Sam Altman.

This video explains the importance of Ilya to OpenAI, and also explains how Sam Altman's instincts and contributions kept the firm going in the early days of the company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 20, 2023 1:53 AM

His sister’s …energy is exactly why I root for Joan when watching Mommie Dearest. Christina and this bitch need DBT.

by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2023 2:27 AM

He is trying to hurt the Democratic Party by supporting the kook who wants to primary Biden. He also supported right-wing plant Andrew Yang. At least his sister isn't helping Trump and Republicans

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2023 2:38 AM

So he is a not-pure-enough Democrat? Fine by me.

by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2023 4:27 AM

Hint: if you're helping Republicans get elected, you're not a Democrat.

He's also "friends" with Peter Thiel

by Anonymousreply 53November 20, 2023 4:29 AM

He simps for white supremacist Elon Musk, too.

by Anonymousreply 54November 20, 2023 4:31 AM

I believe the sister.

by Anonymousreply 55November 20, 2023 4:40 AM

NYT: Sam is not coming back to OpenAI

OpenAI Board Stands by Decision to Force Sam Altman Out of C.E.O. Role

[quote] After 48 hours of furious negotiations, the A.I. company said Mr. Altman would not return to his job and that former Twitch C.E.O. Emmett Shear would be its interim boss.

[quote] “The board firmly stands by its decision as the only path to advance and defend the mission of OpenAI,” said the memo (to employees), referring to Mr. Altman’s ouster on Friday.

[quote] “Put simply, Sam’s behavior and lack of transparency in his interactions with the board undermined the board’s ability to effectively supervise the company in the manner it was mandated to do,” the memo said.

[quote] The board did not cite specific incidents involving Mr. Altman as the cause for removing him. Rather, it claimed that Mr. Altman had “lost the trust of the board of directors,” and that removing him was “necessary to preserve the board’s ability to execute its responsibilities and advance the mission of this organization.”

[quote] “It is paramount that any CEO be honest and transparent with his or her board,” the memo said.

[quote] Microsoft, OpenAI’s largest investor, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2023 6:03 AM

He needs to just walk away. The groveling is unseemly.

by Anonymousreply 57November 20, 2023 6:06 AM

Hostile takeover. AI & robotics will allow the TPTB to not need chimpanzee paper pushers and manual laborers. They want to control the technology that will allow them to control the future. AI is an evil ethical mess. The demise of society.

by Anonymousreply 58November 20, 2023 7:29 AM

[quote] NYT: Sam is not coming back to OpenAI

Instead, he is going to Microsoft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 20, 2023 12:14 PM

It's like a real life episode of Succession!

by Anonymousreply 60November 20, 2023 12:50 PM

But, unlike Succession, featuring actual gay characters.

by Anonymousreply 61November 20, 2023 12:54 PM

They really missed the boat by not making Roman bi.

by Anonymousreply 62November 20, 2023 12:57 PM

Yep, the character would have made even more sense if he were gay or bi. But, that's what happens when the writers room is all just straight people.

by Anonymousreply 63November 20, 2023 1:04 PM

Earlier today, 505 of 700 OpenAI employees sent a letter to the OpenAI board demanding that all current board members resign and Altman and Brockman be reinstated, or they will likely leave to join Altman and Brockman at Microsoft. Among those who signed it was Ilya Sutskever, the guy who orchestrated the whole thing!

[quote]Ilya Sutskever, whom sources identified as a key architect of Altman's firing, also appears to have had a change of heart Monday morning, tweeting, "I deeply regret my participation in the board's actions. I never intended to harm OpenAI. I love everything we've built together and I will do everything I can to reunite the company."

The drama of all this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 20, 2023 3:13 PM

Can someone give me the tl;dr? I’d no idea who he was until now,

by Anonymousreply 65November 20, 2023 3:22 PM

It seems like Altman understands that the company needs to be run like a business, but the board only cares about its looney mission to gatekeep AI to keep the masses “safe” from “harmful” thoughts and ideas.

by Anonymousreply 66November 20, 2023 3:27 PM

The Board (including Joseph Gordon-Levitt's Wife) will be investigated! The new CEO of OpenAI, Emmett Shear, has said:

[quote] APNEWS: Shear said he would hire an independent investigator to look into what led up to Altman’s ouster and write a report within 30 days. “It’s clear that the process and communications around Sam’s removal has been handled very badly, which has seriously damaged our trust,” wrote Shear, who co-founded Twitch, an Amazon-owned livestreaming service popular with video gamers.

Also, as an aside:

[quote] Business Insider: Emmett Shear has said he believes AI could kill not just all humans, but all life in the universe. It's a sentiment shared by Altman and other leaders in the tech space.

by Anonymousreply 67November 20, 2023 3:58 PM

Sam Altman is back at OpenAI and will not be going to Microsoft after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 22, 2023 6:07 AM

^ Larry Summers? Hmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 69November 22, 2023 6:10 AM

The two women board members who voted to fire Sam Altman are off the board. The one guy (Adam D'Angelo) who was on the board and had voted to fire Sam is still of the board after the shake-up. The new board only has 3 members, but they are calling it an Initial Board, so more members should be added later.

by Anonymousreply 70November 22, 2023 6:26 AM

Well isn’t that unexpected - throw the women to the wolves.

by Anonymousreply 71November 22, 2023 6:29 AM

Board tried to merge OpenAI with its rival Anthropic immediately after sacking Altman, but was rejected. This is unprecedented level of corporate drama.

Adam D'Angelo needs to be sacked as well, he's the one who said "do it" when 95% of the employees threatened to walk if Altman wasn't reinstated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 22, 2023 6:48 AM

They also kicked Ilya Sutskever off the board, but he remains employed at OpenAI as the Chief Scientist. He supposedly makes more than $2 million a year.

by Anonymousreply 73November 22, 2023 6:50 AM

Illya Sutskever is a Russian Jew, and Sam Altman is a gay Jew. I have no idea why this is relevant, but I felt compelled to mention it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 74November 22, 2023 6:54 AM

Sutskever is a clueless aspie computer person, someone else was pulling the strings (my personal bet is on the ousted board women and D'Angelo). He went down to his knees in that employee letter, I guess that was enough penance for Altman to keep him on.

r74 And Dario Amodei of Anthropic is an Italian Jew. You're slipping, Elon.

by Anonymousreply 75November 22, 2023 6:59 AM

People are saying OpenAI is the Soros-Mossad project developing the Next Gen Jewish Space Lasers.

by Anonymousreply 76November 22, 2023 10:35 AM

[quote]The two women board members who voted to fire Sam Altman are off the board. The one guy (Adam D'Angelo) who was on the board and had voted to fire Sam is still of the board after the shake-up.

It sounds like the women let their emotions override rational decision making. If Altman was insufficiently "candid" with them, they should have just reprimanded him and moved on. Instead, they acted like women scorned and made a snap judgement.

by Anonymousreply 77November 22, 2023 1:49 PM

This is the most bizarre corporate drama in recent memory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 22, 2023 1:54 PM

I am wondering if Nadella was just bluffing when offering Altman and everybody else jobs. I could see the offer being genuine because Microsoft had a great stake in the technology and probably needed to fend off other potential competitors to get their hands on it. But even the Microsoft CEO wouldn't just create a new subdivision of that size and magnitude within a week. So either Nadella was panicking or genius, possibly both at the same time. Would like to read more about his role in all this.

by Anonymousreply 79November 22, 2023 2:13 PM

Misogynist much r77?

by Anonymousreply 80November 22, 2023 2:16 PM

[quote]It sounds like the women let their emotions override rational decision making.

My take, Mr. Sexist, is that the women were genuinely concerned about AI's implications for society and Sam Altman was purely interested in making a lot of money off it.

by Anonymousreply 81November 22, 2023 6:12 PM

R81, yep.

Reminds me of people who say women are too emotional to lead while men in the House and the Senate are busy beating each other up and threatening people

by Anonymousreply 82November 22, 2023 6:27 PM

His reputation is forever tainted, nonetheless.

It is a risk that all in the public eye take. Even the AI beings he creates will reject him.

#Cancelled

by Anonymousreply 83November 22, 2023 6:35 PM

R70, r77 there were two men on the board who voted to eject Altman, one of whom, Ilya Sutskever, sounds like he was the chief ringleader to get Altman out, but don't let that stop your sexism.

by Anonymousreply 84November 22, 2023 6:39 PM

[quote]there were two men on the board who voted to eject Altman, one of whom, Ilya Sutskever, sounds like he was the chief ringleader to get Altman out

The news stories I've seen said he went along with the others, which makes him the weakest of them all. He regrets now being talked into it.

by Anonymousreply 85November 22, 2023 8:21 PM

[quote] the women were genuinely concerned about AI's implications for society and Sam Altman was purely interested in making a lot of money off it.

That was a big problem for the company, but it's been rectified with the ouster of the two women who were on the board. Now the business can be a business.

by Anonymousreply 86November 22, 2023 8:23 PM

[quote] Sam Altman is back at OpenAI and will not be going to Microsoft after all.

So... no OnlyFans either then?

by Anonymousreply 87November 22, 2023 9:33 PM

But, r86, OpenAI was structured to be an ethical non-profit and not a "business" from the very beginning - it wasn't something that the women tried to impose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 22, 2023 9:48 PM

Funny r85, in the couple of days after Alton's ouster, the news reports were painting Sutskever as the prime mover against Altman. Now that Altman is back at OpenAI and Sutskever is out, he's all contrite and apologetic. And that's only because he's been thrown out of OpenAI and is desperate to get back in.

Here's what Greg Brockman, another OpenAI co-founder who was also on the board until a few days ago but was removed from it by the other four had to say about things.

[quote]- Last night, Sam got a text from Ilya asking to talk at noon Friday. Sam joined a Google Meet and the whole board, except Greg, was there. Ilya told Sam he was being fired and that the news was going out very soon.

[quote]- At 12:19pm, Greg got a text from Ilya asking for a quick call. At 12:23pm, Ilya sent a Google Meet link. Greg was told that he was being removed from the board (but was vital to the company and would retain his role) and that Sam had been fired. Around the same time, OpenAI published a blog post.

If anyone should know what went down it's Brockman, and he's very clearly pointing the finger at Sutskever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 22, 2023 10:12 PM

Funny r85, in the couple of days after Alton's ouster, the news reports were painting Sutskever as the prime mover against Altman. Now that Altman is back at OpenAI and Sutskever is out, he's all contrite and apologetic. And that's only because he's been thrown out of OpenAI and is desperate to get back in.

Here's what Greg Brockman, another OpenAI co-founder who was also on the board until a few days ago but was removed from it by the other four had to say about things.

[quote]- Last night, Sam got a text from Ilya asking to talk at noon Friday. Sam joined a Google Meet and the whole board, except Greg, was there. Ilya told Sam he was being fired and that the news was going out very soon.

[quote]- At 12:19pm, Greg got a text from Ilya asking for a quick call. At 12:23pm, Ilya sent a Google Meet link. Greg was told that he was being removed from the board (but was vital to the company and would retain his role) and that Sam had been fired. Around the same time, OpenAI published a blog post.

If anyone should know what went down it's Brockman, and he's very clearly pointing the finger at Sutskever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90November 22, 2023 10:13 PM

[quote]Well isn’t that unexpected - throw the women to the wolves.

Well there is the unfortunate track record of women in tech: Carly Fiorina, Meg Whitman, Carol Bartz, Sheryl Sandberg, Marissa Mayer, Elizabeth Holmes, Ellen Pao, Linda Yaccarino. That’s a whole lot of value destruction.

by Anonymousreply 91November 22, 2023 11:58 PM

^ As opposed to Sam Bankman-Fried and all the male criminals in tech

by Anonymousreply 92November 23, 2023 12:00 AM

[quote]I am wondering if Nadella was just bluffing when offering Altman and everybody else jobs.

More lilke maneuvering than "bluffing" - most reports seem to suggest that it was a calculated move backed by other investors to force the board to act since the firing seems to have been part of a broader move to sell the company which failed.

If too much time passed, there was no putting the genie back in the bottle.

If it failed, they'd have Altman and from what it sounds like the entire rest of the company working at Microsoft within a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 93November 23, 2023 12:30 AM

[quote]Well there is the unfortunate track record of women in tech: Carly Fiorina, Meg Whitman, Carol Bartz, Sheryl Sandberg, Marissa Mayer, Elizabeth Holmes, Ellen Pao, Linda Yaccarino. That’s a whole lot of value destruction.

We should include the destruction that Kathleen Kennedy is causing at Disney with her lunacy.

by Anonymousreply 94November 23, 2023 12:34 AM

Ilya's out, six months after his little coup.

And dear Lord, look at how unattractive these nerds are. Even CTO Mira Murati is just passable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95May 15, 2024 3:54 AM

^ But my husband tells me I'm pretty

by Anonymousreply 96May 15, 2024 4:03 AM

[quote] Who is this fag?

He’s a gay man in tech not a fag in a clothing store.

by Anonymousreply 97May 15, 2024 4:26 AM

Hmmm

by Anonymousreply 98May 15, 2024 5:00 PM

what a fugly bunch of fugs R95

by Anonymousreply 99May 15, 2024 5:12 PM

Butterface Butterface Butterface.

by Anonymousreply 100May 15, 2024 5:15 PM

And all more loaded than God currently!

by Anonymousreply 101May 15, 2024 5:16 PM

Some things are more important than money

by Anonymousreply 102May 15, 2024 5:25 PM

R97 Aka not a shopbottom

by Anonymousreply 103May 15, 2024 5:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!