Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

2016 Oscars young actress nominees - why did so many of their careers stall?

The merits of Brie Larson were discussed in the thread about the lack of success for The Marvels and it's true that it didn't go to plan.

When she won in 2016 she was nominated alongside Jennifer Lawrence and Saoirse Ronan with Rooney Mara and Alicia Vikander nominated as supporting, despite both being the shared lead.

So who has gone on to great things?

Saoirse Ronan (1994) followed up Brooklyn with another 2 best actress nominations and is in Steve McQueen's upcoming Blitz

Brie Larson (1989) did the Marvel film, the film where Naomi Watts played her mother, she directed a movie no one saw and did something on Apple TV

Jennifer Lawrence (1990) had some good reviews and a Golden Globe nomination for Don't Look Up but hasn't done anything else of note, and was mocked for her recent comcom.

Alicia Vikander (1988) did a load of films no one saw, including that baby in a boat one, she became Lara Croft and did something on HBO no one bothered watching

Rooney Mara (1985) had an unremarkable part in Lion and was outshone by Nicole Kidman and Dev Patel, did a load of movies no one saw and was part of the ensemble cast in Women Talking, which no one saw. And she as in Nightmare Alley but I can't remember who as, but she was outshone by Cate Blanchett and Toni Collette.

The following year Emma Stone (1988) won for La La Land and then Margot Robbie (1990) got her first of two nominations in 2018. Along with Saoirse Ronan they're the 3 top choices. Florence Pugh (1996) is catching them up.

by Anonymousreply 74November 21, 2023 7:06 AM

Alicia Vikander is probably seen by most Americans now aa the spokesperson for Nissan. It seems like that’s all she does anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2023 10:26 PM

Umm, don't you mean Brie Larson, R1?

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2023 10:28 PM

I enjoyed Vikander in HBO's Irma Vep.

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2023 10:34 PM

None, except for Ronan, is a particularly good actress. None are exciting or charismatic.

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2023 10:38 PM

Sigh. For us 80’s survivors, this recent group is so weak. We had Meryl, Sally, Jane, Sigourney, Kathleen Turner, Sissy, Jessica and Cher all working successfully at the same time. The movie industry has really changed.

by Anonymousreply 5November 14, 2023 1:20 AM

R5, hello! I got 5 nominations in the 80s!

by Anonymousreply 6November 14, 2023 1:24 AM

Sorry Glenn. I forgot you and Goldie.

by Anonymousreply 7November 14, 2023 1:29 AM

Dislike this group of actors excluding the Irish lass

by Anonymousreply 8November 14, 2023 1:40 AM

Weinstein created stars. He and his brothers company dominated the media and made his chosen darlings, known and sought after. What happened behind the scenes we all know now, but for a time ,they created the mystic that’s spun gold.

by Anonymousreply 9November 14, 2023 2:02 AM

They have tried to make Ronan happen, and the paying public just do not fucking care for her.

by Anonymousreply 10November 14, 2023 2:06 AM

I don't find anything special about Saoirse Ronan. In fact I think she's homely, dykish, something cornpone or inbred about her. And I'm not just being a cunt, I've watched a number of her films trying to understand the acclaim. I just don't fucking get it.

by Anonymousreply 11November 14, 2023 2:42 AM

Asking DataLounge about young actresses is always a losing proposition. We inevitably sound like Norma Desmond lamenting how no one will ever compare to the actresses from the silent era.

That most posters on DL are probably wearing a turban and clenching a cigarette holder doesn’t help, either.

by Anonymousreply 12November 14, 2023 2:52 AM

I'm a fan of her film, "Brooklyn ". Don't care about the other performers or their work

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 14, 2023 2:56 AM

because Harvey went to prison

by Anonymousreply 14November 14, 2023 2:59 AM

Saoirse has too many vowels in an unpronounceable name. I've never seen any of her films, but I did enjoy her Vogue 73 Questions video.

by Anonymousreply 15November 14, 2023 3:01 AM

Ed fucking Sheeran ruined my career by typecasting me as a pretty little Galway girl.

by Anonymousreply 16November 14, 2023 3:03 AM

Shur-shuh? Don't know how to pronounce the name either

by Anonymousreply 17November 14, 2023 3:05 AM

I can’t even remember what Brie Larsen and Alicia Vikander look like. I know the names but I have no idea who they are and what they’re been in. I know who Rooney Mara is because she’s so ugly and angry looking all the time

by Anonymousreply 18November 14, 2023 3:05 AM

No one seems to have a shelf life anymore. Even Julianne Moore and Natalie Portman can't get any traction for an Oscar nomination.

I like Saoirse Ronan a lot, but she is not really getting great parts or attention. Hopefully that will change.

Alicia Vikander and Jennifer Lawrence were Harvey girls. Jennifer can't seem to get a break, and has been replaced by Margot Robbie.

Brie Larson is a dope. Talk about going a long way on nothing.

by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2023 3:50 AM

Alicia is too busy fucking and breeding with Fassie, her husband, to make any movies

by Anonymousreply 20November 14, 2023 4:01 AM

OP, what is your native language?

by Anonymousreply 21November 14, 2023 4:15 AM

R19, Moore and Portman have been stars for over twenty-five years, and Portman was a child then. I think they’ve more than proven their shelf life, even if they can’t get awards traction for a movie that was merely well-reviewed.

Sometimes I think people have trouble wrapping their minds around the idea that not every movie is either a Barbie or a Babylon. There’s a lot of middle ground, and the new Portman-Moore movie looks like a prime example of that.

by Anonymousreply 22November 14, 2023 5:10 AM

Where are the Pam Austins of today...the Yvonne Craigs?

by Anonymousreply 23November 14, 2023 5:16 AM

Not a nominee, but Mia Wasikowska was an actress around the same period; she was in the Alice in Wonderland movies by Tim Burton. She promptly dropped off the radar.

by Anonymousreply 24November 14, 2023 5:38 AM

Brie Larson is oddly non-descript for an actress. I never recognize her.

by Anonymousreply 25November 14, 2023 5:47 AM

Mia was always competent but one of the blandest actresses imaginable. She has always been a charisma vacuum.

by Anonymousreply 26November 14, 2023 5:51 AM

Mia was great on In Treatment. So was Dane DeHaan. Neither of them really had great careers after that though.

by Anonymousreply 27November 14, 2023 6:48 AM

Brie will always have her Nissan commercials.

by Anonymousreply 28November 14, 2023 6:48 AM

Oscar glory, especially in the Supporting Actress category, at a young age is pretty insignificant to Hollywood career progression. Just ask Mira Sorvino, Jennifer Connelly, Marisa Tomei, Tatum O’Neal, Anna Paquin, and Jennifer Hudson (who followed her Oscar won with a thankless role as Sarah Jessica Parker’s assistant in the Sex and the City movie).

by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2023 2:07 PM

Sweetheart, the day after the 2007 Oscar ceremony, Hollywood had Hudson remorse. She was lucky she got any roles after that. She's a horrible actress.

And the Supporting Actress category is probably the one with the worst track record of all. A large majority of winners in that category didn't even deserve nominations and their careers deserved to tank. The actresses who truly deserve the award rarely win. Since Sorvino's win in 1995, I would say they got it right or came close maybe three times.

by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2023 4:10 PM

Julianne Moore has the Susan Sarandon Curse. Every movie since her Oscar is forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 31November 14, 2023 5:05 PM

Rooney Mara seems....unpleasant

by Anonymousreply 32November 14, 2023 5:09 PM

R31 I resemble that remark.

by Anonymousreply 33November 14, 2023 5:12 PM

Mara is another nepo baby.

by Anonymousreply 34November 14, 2023 5:15 PM

Vikander was category fraud at its finest.

Marisa Tomei has had a pretty solid career since her win. 2 more Oscar nominations, and still gets plum supporting roles.

Paquin has avoided the child Star curse and still works in quality projects.

by Anonymousreply 35November 14, 2023 5:15 PM

R31 - Julianne was in that lesbian drama where she was the lesbian cop who hooked up with Ellen Page before she was trans and then Julianne got cancer and Ellen couldn’t get her pension or something.

by Anonymousreply 36November 14, 2023 5:17 PM

I showed my tits in Oppenheimer.

by Anonymousreply 37November 14, 2023 5:28 PM

Emma Stone has done better than expected and will get an Oscar nod for “Poor Things.”

by Anonymousreply 38November 14, 2023 5:51 PM

[quote] Julianne Moore has the Susan Sarandon Curse. Every movie since her Oscar is forgettable.

Honey, the movie she won the Oscar for was forgettable (as was the performance).

by Anonymousreply 39November 14, 2023 6:06 PM

Mara, to her credit, was in that recent Amish Women's Study movie, which was actually pretty good; Viklander was never that great, but she's a model for luxury brands, she recently had a kid & she's banging Fassy, so there's that. Likewise, Ronan continually shows up in Jack Lowden's insta feed and not much else, but Jesse Buckley seems to have taken her place as the token Plain Faced Irish Actress. Jennifer Lawrence - good riddance

by Anonymousreply 40November 14, 2023 6:32 PM

None of these actresses have any charisma or star quality at all, Saoirse can act but is the coldest fish alive and can’t play older than adolescent. Vikander is the real winner of the group - got the pointless Oscar and fucked off to spend her time enjoying Michael Fassbender’s massive sizemeat all day. I’d have easily fucked a dozen Harveys if that would be my reward.

by Anonymousreply 41November 14, 2023 6:38 PM

Oh, and another point for Vikander she was in the pretty good Oliver Assayas Irma Vep miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 42November 14, 2023 6:41 PM

Vikander is so bland that she barely registers on film.

by Anonymousreply 43November 14, 2023 6:43 PM

Mia W said she doesn’t want to work in Hollywood productions and only occasionally does European art films, which is fine. She was good in opposite Tim Roth and Vicky Krieps in Bergman Island. Some actresses actually care about the quality of the work they do - not just Oscar bait prestige or franchise bullshit. Didn’t the average DLer once watch foreign films? Any actress who wants an actual, worthwhile role will try to work in them these days if they’re not fame whores or broke.

by Anonymousreply 44November 14, 2023 6:45 PM

Mia Wasikowska is a horrible actress. Please, dear, stay far away from Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 45November 14, 2023 6:46 PM

She was one of the better Jane Eyres. Which isn’t saying much considering none of them (I’ve seen a good number of the adaptations) were really good. Looked the part more than most. Speaking of, Fassbender was laughably miscast as Mr. Rochester.

by Anonymousreply 46November 14, 2023 6:49 PM

I remember watching Albert Nobbs years ago and seeing that Mia and Aaron Taylor Johnson were cast in pivotal roles and thinking, Man Glenn really wants to be the only one in this thing who shines. I'm surprised she hired Janet McTeer.

by Anonymousreply 47November 14, 2023 6:54 PM

Harvey's dimwitted former flame I'm not surprised about. The comet movie I did with her was torture. I am surprised about the Irish girl. Everybody said she was going to be the next Cate Blanchett...

by Anonymousreply 48November 14, 2023 6:54 PM

Ronan is one of the most overrated actresses working today. She's not untalented but I've yet to see her in anything where I've gone- wow, what a performance! Four Oscar nominations and she maybe deserved one of them. And goddamn, when she's in a bad movie (and she's been in plenty) she really stinks.

by Anonymousreply 49November 14, 2023 6:58 PM

Lurking DL during the time of “Albert Nobbs” was a fucking hoot.

by Anonymousreply 50November 14, 2023 6:58 PM

None of them really has that wow factor star quality that can overcome the lackluste quality of most of their films. Once they age out of being the newest young actress flavor of the month, they are screwed, unless they really luck out.

by Anonymousreply 51November 14, 2023 7:00 PM

I still can’t believe Vikander won an Oscar and for The Danish Girl of all things.

Brie Larson has an Apple TV series right now and I don’t think anyone’s even started a thread about it. She was good in Short Term 12 and really only so-so in Room. I still think the Academy voters thought that was her story like she was Audie Murphy or somebody.

by Anonymousreply 52November 14, 2023 7:08 PM

The last I heard of Mia Wasikowska she was in a movie where Susan Sarandon was dying slowly and I had no intention of watching it, I just hoped it was slow and painful.

[quote]I still can’t believe Vikander won an Oscar and for The Danish Girl of all things.

That year she got BAFTA noms for Danish Girl (lead) and Ex Machina (supporting) and lost to Brie Larson and Kate Winslet. She was also the lead in Testament Of Youth where she did an not unconvincing English accent and where Taron Edgerton and Jonathan Bailey play homosexual lovers.

by Anonymousreply 53November 14, 2023 7:13 PM

R12 What you're trying to say is that you don't want me to love you. Say it. Say it!

[slaps him hard across the face]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 14, 2023 7:45 PM

I don't understand the poll question. 1996?

by Anonymousreply 55November 14, 2023 7:56 PM

Any actress who wins the Oscar and parlays it into superhero movies and luxury car commercials is doomed.

by Anonymousreply 56November 14, 2023 8:00 PM

Pick the biggest 5 names from these actresses:

Born in 1987: Blake Lively, Evan Rachel Wood, Sarah Snook

Born in 1988: Emma Stone, Zoe Kravitz, Ana de Armas, Alicia Vikander, Vanessa Kirby

Born in 1989: Brie Larson, Datota Johnson, Elizabeth Olson, Juno Temple, Mia Wasikowska, Jessie Buckley,

Born in 1990: Emma Watson, Jennifer Lawrence, Margot Robbie, Kristen Stewart,

Born in 1991: Shailene Woodley, Ariana DuBose

Biggest names: Margot Robbie, Emma Stone, Dakota Johnson, Kristen Stewart and Jennifer Lawrence

by Anonymousreply 57November 14, 2023 8:11 PM

This is some kind of OCD working out?

by Anonymousreply 58November 15, 2023 1:02 AM

Alicia Vikander winning for The Danish Girl already aged bad when it happened but that win has aged even worse now. Maybe if she won for Ex Machina it wouldn’t look as bad.

by Anonymousreply 59November 17, 2023 1:30 AM

I think Jennifer Lawrence has charisma and is a capable actress when cast in the right roles, but she’s not good at picking projects. Her filmography at this rate won’t age very well.

by Anonymousreply 60November 17, 2023 1:32 AM

It seems like the three most popular actresses right now are

Margot Robbie

Zendaya

Florence Pugh

Then you have the hanging on group but aging out fast

Emma Stone

Jennifer Lawrence

Scarlett Johansson

The over age 40’s don’t matter

by Anonymousreply 61November 17, 2023 2:21 AM

Yeah I don’t like her r60 but lots of people seemed to love her

by Anonymousreply 62November 17, 2023 4:07 AM

Stone and Johansson pick interesting projects and are much better actresses than Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 63November 18, 2023 5:12 AM

R63 Scarlett Johansson isn't a good actress.

by Anonymousreply 64November 21, 2023 1:00 AM

Wait.. Emma Stone isn't a good actress, either.

by Anonymousreply 65November 21, 2023 1:01 AM

Saoirse's name is just a bridge too far

by Anonymousreply 66November 21, 2023 1:05 AM

Ronan's performances in Brooklyn and Lady Bird speak to her talent. She was also great in Little Women, but I honestly think was overshadowed by Pugh who made an incredibly dislikable character likable without attempting to be sympathetic. I assumed Ronan was headed toward Kate Winslet's career, culminating with an Academy Award in her early to mid 30s after multiple nominations (she already has 4), but her career has seemed to slow down post-Covid. Collaborating with Gerwig had helped but for obvious reasons wasn't an obvious choice for any of the Barbies. Jessie Buckley seems to be getting more buzz these days in terms of Irish female actors which has to sting after Saoirse spent the last decade as THE Irish female actor (with Ruth Negga also getting some acclaim). As someone upthread pointed out, however, Ronan hasn't moved out of ingenue roles and I wonder if she will get stuck like Winona Ryder unable to transition to leading lady roles.

by Anonymousreply 67November 21, 2023 1:22 AM

Jennifer Lawrence is complacent. Look at her production company compared to Margot Robbie’s.

Margot gets shit done. And Jennifer Lawrence stopped filming Causeway for a year to prepare for her wedding.

by Anonymousreply 68November 21, 2023 1:34 AM

It’s so true that Saoirse has fallen. People were calling her the next Meryl Streep but then she got a nose job that made her even more odd looking. Plus she is awkward with fane (closeted lesbian?).

It’s true that Margo seems very savvy compared to the oafish Jennifer Lawrence who has a ton of shelved projects.

by Anonymousreply 69November 21, 2023 1:57 AM

I like Whatever Ronan. I didn’t know she had 4 Oscar noms! She seems to have a lock on the highbrow UK actress thing. Probably will be on a streaming series sooner then later.

by Anonymousreply 70November 21, 2023 2:14 AM

Shelved Jennifer projects

- Sue Mengers film

- Elizabeth Holmes film

by Anonymousreply 71November 21, 2023 2:30 AM

R70 Name her last film.

by Anonymousreply 72November 21, 2023 3:47 AM

[quote] Shelved Jennifer projects- Sue Mengers film

Do you know this for sure? I recently did a search on Mengers and saw all the announcements about the project but nothing that said it wasn't going forward.

by Anonymousreply 73November 21, 2023 5:19 AM

The Sue Mengers film was announced in 2021. It doesn’t seem to be in production but many films previously announced for Jennifer are in the same boat.

by Anonymousreply 74November 21, 2023 7:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!