Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are finger nails residual claws?

You guys are better than AI.

by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2023 11:20 AM

Yeah I think so. Vestigial claws.

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2023 4:11 AM

I said residual because they still have some claw-like functions—like scratching a bitch’s eyes out.

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2023 4:16 AM

Not always vestigial.

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2023 4:17 AM

If you put all your fingers and thumb together and flex your wrist like your hand was Lambchop the puppet turning around to talk to you, you can see that tendon in the center of your wrist. That tendon’s purpose was to help us swing from branch to branch. We don’t need it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2023 4:20 AM

Of course. Why would you even ask the question?

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2023 4:29 AM

They're neither 'residual' or 'vestigial'; they're claws, pure and simple. We moderns generally keep them trimmed and neat. Grown out, they're capable of doing some damage.

My late grandmother (died 1980) had long, red nails that she frequently sank into my arm - so strong, I wouldn't have been surprised if she could use them to drive a slot screw into softwood.

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2023 4:38 AM

[quote] My late grandmother (died 1980) had long, red nails

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2023 4:42 AM

They’re too weak to be called actual claws.

by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2023 4:45 AM

Because we’re just sitting around having a conversation, R5. What the fuck.

by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2023 4:47 AM

R7, they were more like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2023 4:50 AM

Gorillas have fingernails not claws. I think most apes and monkeys have fingernails.

by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2023 4:52 AM

R10, those don't look like dragon claws. Was your grandmother not a dragon?

by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2023 4:52 AM

R10, don’t you live around Fort Worth?

I had to drive through there today— hit it at around 4:00 and I swear to god it took and hour and a half to get on the other side of it, headed toward Abilene. I was on the expressway! It was hell on earth. I made the same trip, same time on this day last year and more or less breezed through.

Is it always that bad now?

by Anonymousreply 13November 11, 2023 4:55 AM

[quote] R12: those don't look like dragon claws. Was your grandmother not a dragon?

I don't think so; I don't think she was born in a dragon year. ;)

Hmm, the image at R10 looks to me like press-on nails. But my grandmother's were like that in color and shape.

[quote]R13: don’t you live around Fort Worth?

I live close to the Metroplex.

The traffic depends on the time of day. Were you using I-20, the so-called 'death freeway'?

by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2023 5:00 AM

R14, I WAS!

Glad I didn’t know it at the time. I was frazzled as hell!

by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2023 5:08 AM

Hmm, my grandmother's nails.

The thing about the red nail polish was that, when my grandmother was fourteen, her father, a deacon in a local West Texas Church of Christ, caught her applying the polish from a bottle she'd somehow gotten from town. He called her a whore, took a razor strap and lashed her mercilessly, driving her off the farm, across the brambles to the road. In her flight, she got hung in the barbwire fence, but instead of helping her out of it, he lashed her even more, until at length she got free. She was thenceforth considered disowned from her family (she had ten siblings, I think), and although she never said much about this time of her life, I think that, in order to survive, she became something like what her father had named her.

Ten years or so later, she returned with three children in tow; my mom was the middle one. They were all born in wedlock, from the same man, from whom she was already separated, soon to be divorced. She left the children with her parents for a time, during which her father, deacon of his church, molested my mom. There was a lot of blame there, since my grandmother well knew what sort of a man he was, but left her kids there nonetheless.

Many years later I met my great-grandparents, when I was three or four years old. My great-grandfather had developed diabetes, and had what they called "black leg," making him highly susceptible to blood clots. Having already heard stories of how he'd beaten my mom as a child for sitting on the running board of the truck - so severely that she forgot what she'd been beaten for, and promptly sat back down on it again - I kicked him in the shin. They made me sit outside on the sidewalk for the remainder of the visit.

by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2023 5:22 AM

I don't think finger nails resemble claws but I think hands resemble alligator/croc/dinosaur feet.

by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2023 6:15 AM

That’s Texas for ya…shit hole of all hell holes

by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2023 11:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!