Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Last Christmas

Just curious what the consensus is on this Christmas classic. Growing up in the 80s, this song has always been a favorite for me. Do younger generations like it? I haven’t (yet) been a fan of any of the covers. Do younger generations know Wham!? Maybe they associate the song with Taylor Swift? Add it to your playlist and discuss here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2023 12:19 PM

Not one of my favorites but it's not bad. I loved how George looked back then.

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2023 3:12 AM

As long as it's not that fucking Mariah Carey song.

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2023 3:15 AM

Love the original, totally uninterested in any covers.

Apologies to R2 but, the “fucking Mariah Carey song” is my platonic ideal of a contemporary Christmas song. It’s as good as anything that Mel Torme or Burl Ives or Bing Crosby did. For me, it’s neck and neck with the original Meet Me in St. Louis “Have Yourself etc” as the best Xmas song ever.

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2023 3:24 AM

My boyfriend and I would have a romantic evening, watching it by the fireplace.

And then I’d take him upstairs and fix him until he came..

That’s romantic, no?

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2023 3:24 AM

I really like video and George looked fantastic. I’ve always wanted to have fun with a group like that at Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2023 3:27 AM

George seemed like he had a sad life, in the end.

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2023 3:30 AM

Does anyone know how much AR and GM’s estate receives in royalties for this song each year?

by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2023 3:30 AM

It's not a bad song, but its repetition gets on my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2023 3:35 AM

[quote]but, the “fucking Mariah Carey song” is my platonic ideal of a contemporary Christmas song. It’s as good as anything that Mel Torme or Burl Ives or Bing Crosby did. For me, it’s neck and neck with the original Meet Me in St. Louis “Have Yourself etc” as the best Xmas song ever.

There's certainly no accounting for taste.

by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2023 3:36 AM

George spoke of being mad that Live Aid’s Do they Know it’s Christmas would be competing the year he released the song. He felt he had to do both.

by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2023 3:37 AM

[quote] He felt he had to do both.

Thank god it was him instead of you.

by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2023 3:40 AM

I like this one. And I like Mariah's too. There is a reason these songs are so popular.

by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2023 3:46 AM

Whamageddon doesn’t officially start until December 1st, OP. If you bump this thread on the 1st, you’ll eliminate a lot of contestants and stand a good shot of winning!!

by Anonymousreply 13November 11, 2023 3:54 AM

Any pissfucking?

by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2023 3:57 AM

I chose "Neutral." I like the tune. I like George Michael. But it's not a Christmas song. It's a song about getting dumped at Christmas. Oh, and the "Last Christmas" melody/chorus is repeated six times.

by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2023 4:07 AM

It’s one of the only modern Christmas songs I like

by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2023 4:07 AM

Neither song (Last Christmas & Mariah Carey's) are as bad as "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" (Paul McCartney).

by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2023 4:24 AM

Oh, I do like the Mariah Carey song. Agree with R17

by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2023 4:26 AM

Love love love the George Michael “Last Christmas.” Those were young happy romantic years for me when that song came out - that song has always touched me. The song that kills me - in a good way is Karen Carpenter’s Merry Christmas, Darling.

by Anonymousreply 19November 11, 2023 4:33 AM

I like it a lot, but has been overplayed at Christmas, so i no longer hear it by choice (and i am a George Michael fan). It is not at all a Christmas song.

by Anonymousreply 20November 11, 2023 9:07 AM

One of the four Christmas songs that I can stand.

by Anonymousreply 21November 11, 2023 9:41 AM

[quote]And then I’d take him upstairs and fix him until he came

Fank you, you fixted my asshole!

by Anonymousreply 22November 11, 2023 10:32 AM

It's good but it's no Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.

by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2023 10:51 AM

When I was young and it first came out I thought it was sappy but now I like it. George had such a beautiful voice.

by Anonymousreply 24November 11, 2023 1:36 PM

Beautiful song, even though one does hear it played far too often. But every year, the first time you hear it again, it’s a treat.

RIP, George.

by Anonymousreply 25November 11, 2023 1:40 PM

[quote] It is not at all a Christmas song.

Moreso than "My Favorite Things" from SOM. Which, for some reason, is considered a Christmas song thanks to Jack "Love Boat Theme" Jones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 11, 2023 1:42 PM

Did anyone actually think for a nano-second that George Michael was straight?

by Anonymousreply 27November 11, 2023 1:52 PM

Can’t stand his voice or the song.

by Anonymousreply 28November 11, 2023 1:57 PM

I love this song, so much better than Mariah's tedious song. The Mariah song lacks a strong pop hook.

by Anonymousreply 29November 11, 2023 2:02 PM

"My Favorite Things" has NOT been "a Christmas Song" since the 1960s, if it was even then.

by Anonymousreply 30November 11, 2023 2:05 PM

Last Christmas was the best Christmas song of the 1980s

All I Want For Christmas Is You is the best Christmas song of the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 31November 11, 2023 2:41 PM

How can anyone argue that LC is not a Christmas song? Would the same people argue, “Baby It’s Cold Outside”, is not a Christmas song?

The sleigh bells in LC capture the holiday season and set LC apart from many other holiday songs.

by Anonymousreply 32November 11, 2023 2:54 PM

Christmas is a Time to Say I Love You by Billy Squier was the best original Christmas song of the 80s

Home for Christmas by Kate Bush was the best original Christmas song of the 90s

Mariah Carrey is an assault on the ears of humanity.

*I would list Tori Amos - Purple People (Christmas in Space) as the best Christmas song of the 90s, but the (Christmas in Space) part was apparently a misprint on the import CD Single of Spark, and was supposed to go after her cover of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. There isn't anything inherently Christmasy about the song, other than the mention of snow. Still, it is a gorgeous song, and I like to listen to it at Christmastime, and I frequently include it in Christmas playlists, as it was years after buying the import single that I found out about the misprint, and that it was never intended to be a Christmas song, but I associate it with Christmas as a result.

by Anonymousreply 33November 11, 2023 3:04 PM

[quote] Christmas is a Time to Say I Love You by Billy Squier was the best original Christmas song of the 80s

That is a good song.

by Anonymousreply 34November 11, 2023 3:56 PM

[quote]More so than "My Favorite Things" from SOM. Which, for some reason, is considered a Christmas song thanks to Jack "Love Boat Theme" Jones.

The lyrics mention sleigh bells at some point.

by Anonymousreply 35November 11, 2023 6:48 PM

[quote]“Baby It’s Cold Outside”, is not a Christmas song?

Correct. It's a seasonal song. Winter. Not Christmas. But it's a good excuse to play a great song.

Last Christmas is just about getting dumped on Christmas Day.

Even Fairytale of New York is a Christmas song. It celebrates the day, in it's way. It's actually one of my favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 11, 2023 7:37 PM

[quote]“Baby It’s Cold Outside”, is not a Christmas song?

[quote]Correct. It's a seasonal song. Winter. Not Christmas. But it's a good excuse to play a great song.

A Frank Loesser song that became popular after it was added to the 1949 movie "Neptune's Daughter," in which it was performed by Esther Williams and Ricardo Montalban (plus Red Skelton and Betty Garrett). It's definitely not a Christmas scene. I don't think it's even winter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 11, 2023 8:08 PM

Fairytale of New York is Matt Damon's favourite song

by Anonymousreply 38November 11, 2023 8:15 PM

George really wanted it to be a duet with Lucy but Gary talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 39November 11, 2023 8:33 PM

Bumping for Whamageddon!

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2023 4:22 AM

This was made during the time he was really whoring his ass out.

by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2023 11:11 AM

So, most of his adult life?

by Anonymousreply 42December 4, 2023 11:15 AM

George was beautiful and soulful.

by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2023 11:46 AM

This isn't the most offensive holiday song (that title goes to "The Christmas Shoes"), but I avoid it at most costs.

by Anonymousreply 44December 4, 2023 12:06 PM

I like the movie based on the song with the GOT chick. Hammy Emma Thompson almost ruins it but it's a cute movie with a nice little twist near the end.

by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2023 12:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!