Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eileen Brennan

From LA to DC to NYC, she began her acting career on top, appearing in plays such as The Miracle Worker and Hello, Dolly! and she simply never stopped acting.

She soon became a very respected and reliable character actress in a diverse body of work: Divorce America Style, The Last Picture Show, The Sting, Murder by Death, The Cheap Detective, Private Benjamin, Clue, The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking, Boys Life 2, Jeepers Creepers, 7th Heaven, and Will & Grace.

However, she was once addicted to pain killers and almost lost everything. Later in life she shared sage advice: "don't be afraid to fail. Every failure is a stepping stone to success."

Let's discuss the American actress Eileen Brennan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 11, 2023 11:34 PM

Her role as Zondra on Will & Grace alone makes her a DL icon

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2023 2:59 AM

Growing up, I thought she was a little scary-looking, and yet she seemed to play a surprising number of roles in which she was supposed to be sexy. I could never figure that out.

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2023 3:03 AM

She was in one of my favorite Halloween movies, "The Hollow."

It is a cheesy mess of a movie, low-budget and bad acting, but she was great in it.

And believe it or not, Kevin Zegers, Kaley Cuoco, Stacey Keach, Judd Hirsch, Joseph Mazzello, and Nick Carter were also in that stupid movie.

I also loved her in Clue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2023 3:05 AM

Here she is with Marian Mercer in LITTLE MARY SUNSHINE (1961 Off-Broadway)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2023 3:17 AM

She IS the American actress Eileen Brennan!!!

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2023 3:19 AM

She was really good in Private Benjamin, the only movie I've seen her in.

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2023 3:23 AM

This is the kind of surprise thread in DL-land that can make the space special. Share more - photos and memories guys. I did love Eileen in The Sting; was never a fan of W&G, so never saw her as part of that cast.

by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2023 3:23 AM

Loved her in Private Benjamin. Her reactions to Goldie Hawn's character were hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2023 3:27 AM

I recently saw "The Last Picture Show" for the first time. She was one of the three "older ladies" in the cast (along with Cloris Leachman and Ellen Burstyn). Her character was the least-developed of the 3 ladies.

Her posture (she was always standing / slouching at the counter of the diner) was horrible. I think she was supposed to be somewhat sexy. In one scene, one of the teen boy characters (Timothy Bottoms, IIRC) looked at her as if he were attracted to her.

by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2023 3:35 AM

I caught her in The Cheap Detective the other day on TV. She plays a singer who just sings "la la la" instead of the lyrics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2023 3:40 AM

Irish eyes

by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2023 3:47 AM

The gold standard...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2023 3:49 AM

Loved her in "Murder by Death".

by Anonymousreply 13November 11, 2023 3:51 AM

oops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2023 3:51 AM

Dead, k

by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2023 3:56 AM

Aw! I don’t think I’d ever seen her in anything before Private Benjamin but she was very pretty as a young woman. Loved her in the few things I saw her in.

by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2023 3:59 AM

She was also fun in Clue as Mrs. Peacock

by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2023 4:37 AM

I've always wondered what her and Charles Nelson Reilly were like together in the original Hello Dolly!

by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2023 4:44 AM

Loved her in "Clue" when I was a kid. She was used to great effect in "Jeepers Creepers" in her later years. This scene is unforgettable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 11, 2023 4:45 AM

I think she became addicted to pain killers because she was hit by a car, walking down the street. She was seriously injured, she wasn't just trying to get high.

by Anonymousreply 20November 11, 2023 4:48 AM

R20 unfortunately that's how the majority of people get addicted to them (not from getting hit by a car per se, but being seriously injured and needing them for temporary pain relief—for people who have a propensity to addiction, it's a dangerous game).

by Anonymousreply 21November 11, 2023 4:50 AM

R20 And wasn't it a friend who hit her?

by Anonymousreply 22November 11, 2023 4:58 AM

She was DETERMINED to enjoy herself!

by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2023 4:59 AM

Absolutely BRILLIANT in both Murder By Death and Private Benjamin.

by Anonymousreply 24November 11, 2023 5:02 AM

Her obit mentioned the accident.

Brennan's "Private Benjamin" role led to an enduring friendship with Hawn. A couple of years after they filmed the movie, Brennan and Hawn had dinner one night in 1982 in Venice, Calif. As they left the restaurant, Brennan was struck by a car. Her legs were smashed, bones on the left side of her face were broken, her left eye socket was shattered. Brennan said she fought her injuries with rage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 11, 2023 5:18 AM

so goldie hawn killed her.

by Anonymousreply 26November 11, 2023 6:02 AM

Actually, Goldie adored her.

They were very close up until Eileen's death.

by Anonymousreply 27November 11, 2023 6:43 AM

I always confused her with the snaked eyed (and less talented) Meg Foster.

by Anonymousreply 28November 11, 2023 6:51 AM

Clue was one of those movies my sisters and I would watch on repeat as kids. I can still quote half of it.

Even Mrs. Peacock wasn't my favorite, she was still so great in it.

And her Zandra was pitch perfect.

by Anonymousreply 29November 11, 2023 7:48 AM

Eileen was stunning. simply stunning as Mrs. Wilkerson in 1990s Stella

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 11, 2023 2:32 PM

old thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 11, 2023 2:37 PM

She put a unique spin on ever role!

by Anonymousreply 32November 11, 2023 2:47 PM

I saw her in Dolly! but missed her in Little Mary Sunshine. But she reprised the role at the Ivanhoe Theater in Chicago in the 70s. She was riotously funny in ways that couldn't be replicated on the OCR—much of it physical comedy. Hilarious. It made me realize why the show was such a hit off-Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 33November 11, 2023 2:57 PM

Tall Irish girl with big feet. She was in a serious car accident in which she was jaywalking. She was laid up in excruciating pain for a very long time but couldn’t sue the driver because she was jaywalking. She also became a drug addict from the painkillers. She had to take two years off to unravel this catastrophe and it really derailed her career.

by Anonymousreply 34November 11, 2023 2:59 PM

I only recently bought the CD of the original off-Broadway production of LITTLE MARY SUSNSHINE in which Eileen played the title role. And quickly became addicted to listening to it all the time. I believe that was her first starring role.

The show is a delightful and loving parody of operettas like ROSE MARIE and all of those Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy films. I love that Eileen was cast against type in the ingenue lead as she wasn't a simpering girlish blonde girl, very much the same as her ingenious casting as Irene Molloy in the original Broadway production of HELLO DOLLY! She brought a depth to those roles that wasn't the norm back then.

by Anonymousreply 35November 11, 2023 3:14 PM

I wonder how she felt when Jerry Herman wrote in his memoir that with a revival he "finally had a beautiful Mrs. Molloy."

by Anonymousreply 36November 11, 2023 3:24 PM

Which revival was he talking about, r36? I thought he never saw the Midler production.

Anyway, he was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 37November 11, 2023 3:55 PM

Boy her face couldn't be anymore Irish looking if she tried.

by Anonymousreply 38November 11, 2023 4:44 PM

Years back, o read an interview with Goldie Hawn where she talked about her friendship with Eileen. It was really touching. Eileen got in a terrible car accident—or got hit by a car?— right after having lunch with Hawn.

by Anonymousreply 39November 11, 2023 5:36 PM

^ooops…I wrote post before reading the full thread. Sorry for the repeat of info

by Anonymousreply 40November 11, 2023 5:38 PM

Forever Zandra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 11, 2023 5:45 PM

R5 I love you

by Anonymousreply 42November 11, 2023 5:46 PM

Irish you say?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 11, 2023 5:48 PM

Her performance as captain Lewis was so funny and fascinating. She did so many amazing things with her face and voice. It’s like a master class in characterization.

I remember one scene where she cracks a smile to reveal her blue stained teeth after being pranked by the troops. The theater exploded with laughter.

by Anonymousreply 44November 11, 2023 10:17 PM

She was in Jerry Zaks'1998 production of Martin McDonagh's play "The Cripple of Inishmaan." Wish I'd seen that...

by Anonymousreply 45November 11, 2023 10:24 PM

Private Benjamin is an odd movie. The first half with the army stuff is great but then it shifts to her romance with Armand Assante and I lose interest.

by Anonymousreply 46November 11, 2023 10:42 PM

Stripes was also an odd movie. The first half made sense. The second half was like another movie.

by Anonymousreply 47November 11, 2023 10:59 PM

I don’t know how many times I’ve seen Murder by Death. What a delightful movie. And in a cast of comedy legends she’s the standout.

by Anonymousreply 48November 11, 2023 11:01 PM

I worked with a lady like her character in The Last Picture Show. Wherever you are Old Iron Tits, I love you.

by Anonymousreply 49November 11, 2023 11:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!