Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Before Sunrise on TCM

The most pretentious "young adult" film ever made.

Starring Ethan Hawke, and some French girl. He even wears a turtleneck sweater, for extra pretentiousness.

9:30 Eastern, 6:30 Pacific.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2023 10:46 PM

One of those movies I feel like I should have seen, but have never been able to make myself do it.

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2023 12:03 AM

I love this series. “Before Sunset” is the best of the three but they are all wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2023 12:18 AM

I think it's sweet, and I have a low tolerance for treacle.

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2023 12:44 AM

Julie Delpy was so adorable at this age. And Ethan Hawke, insufferable, quite charming in his insufferable way.

another example of a trilogy that should've been left alone as a one and done

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2023 12:58 AM

While I absolutely see how these movies could be deemed pretentious, especially by people who haven’t seen them, I liked them quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2023 1:34 AM

I was a freshman or sophomore in high school when I saw this. I absolutely loved it. Made me want to move to Paris and be an artist.

Sometimes a little pretentiousness is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2023 1:37 AM

I don't see what makes the film pretentious.

Because it's in Paris, and he wears a turtleneck??

by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2023 1:38 AM

I absolutely love this series. Each film has a different feel reflecting a different stage in the two characters’ lives.

I was quite sad when Julie Delpy didn’t want to do a fourth one when the nine-year mark rolled around.

I am hoping for a return at some point.

by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2023 1:40 AM

R7 It’s not. OP is just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2023 1:40 AM

That's all it takes for the Freedom-fries troglodytes of Flyoverstan.

by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2023 1:41 AM

These movies are fucking horrible.

by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2023 1:43 AM

I enjoy all three of them—I guess I’m a sap. I don’t know. Ethan Hawke has never done anything for me, but I think he’s mildly charming in these, especially the first film. I love Julie Delpy and will watch her in anything. She sits a strange cross-section of earthy and ethereal that I find myself drawn to.

by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2023 1:50 AM

R11 Yet you watched all three to make that call?

by Anonymousreply 13November 11, 2023 1:51 AM

I enjoy these but enjoyed Before Sunset the most. Before Midnight was a lil too real

by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2023 1:54 AM

So easy to rattle the cage of a hysteric like r11, so easily triggered.

by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2023 1:56 AM

I met Ethan Hawke at a screening of Boyhood. I’d always liked him well enough but had never considered myself a huge fan. But when I bumped into him in the theater and stumbled over saying hello he made me swoon.

by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2023 2:15 AM

OP, what’s wrong with turtlenecks? How are they supposedly “pretentious”?

by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2023 2:23 AM

OP doesn't understand the difference between pretentious and cliché and formulaic, which is what these movies are, but charmingly so. They are structured film fantasies, not naturalistic. But they aren't pretentious about it.

by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2023 2:32 AM

[quote] I was a freshman or sophomore in high school when I saw this. I absolutely loved it. Made me want to move to Paris and be an artist.

I have to admit that this movie inspired my first trip to Europe.

It wasn't anything like the movie (I went with my brother), but we still had a blast.

by Anonymousreply 19November 11, 2023 2:34 AM

Ethan Hawke was normal before he made this movie.

After making this movie, he became an artsy stuck-up asshole prick.

Only recently, has he become a normal human being again.

by Anonymousreply 20November 11, 2023 2:35 AM

[quote] OP doesn't understand the difference between pretentious and cliché and formulaic

You're the one who doesn't understand the word pretentious, cunt at R18.

Pretentious:/prēˈten(t)SHəs/ adjective attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

That describes this movie (and Ethan Hawke) perfectly.

Now kindly fuck off, you pretentious CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 21November 11, 2023 2:38 AM

R21 nurse is calling, meds time

by Anonymousreply 22November 11, 2023 2:41 AM

I immediately assume people who use the word pretentious are dumbasses.

by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2023 2:41 AM

Used it

by Anonymousreply 24November 11, 2023 2:45 AM

[quote] I immediately assume people who use the word pretentious are dumbasses.

Says the dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 25November 11, 2023 2:46 AM

I loved it when I was 30; it's a good movie to see at that stage of life.

by Anonymousreply 26November 11, 2023 3:00 AM

I love these movies. There is no reason that a movie about two people in their 20s wandering around Vienna and talking should be so good, but it is. I love all three, even though Before Midnight is fucking brutal. I also am disappointed that there wasn't a fourth 9 years after Midnight, but still, I love all three of these movies.

by Anonymousreply 27November 11, 2023 3:03 AM

[quote] There is no reason that a movie about two people in their 20s wandering around Vienna and talking should be so good, but it is.

I think that's the most amazing thing.

They're just talking, and talking, and talking. Just the two of them.

It's really a testament to the excellent writers.

by Anonymousreply 28November 11, 2023 3:07 AM

Before Sunrise is fine, but Before Sunset is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 29November 11, 2023 3:11 AM

Julie Delpy still looks the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 11, 2023 3:13 AM

Ethan Hawke was 25 years old and absolutely gorgeous in this movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 11, 2023 3:15 AM

I want to rest my head between Ethan's legs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 11, 2023 3:29 AM

Before Sunrise is pretentious, but in the way that all early twenty somethings are pretentious. It makes sense within the film and is charming. Before Sunset is perfect. I could watch it over and over. Before Midnight for some reason doesn't stick with me as much as the first two. Maybe I need to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 33November 11, 2023 3:38 AM

At the end of the movie, Ben Mankiewicz from TCM said that both actors and the director are open to a fourth movie.

And even though the traditional "9 year gap" in between movies has already passed (9 years after "Before Midnight" would have been in 2022), Ethan said that these movies have been the favorite acting projects in his entire career, and he wouldn't want to ruin that by rushing into a crappy script.

So he said they're willing to wait, until the right story comes along.

by Anonymousreply 34November 11, 2023 6:02 PM

I just now searched it for the first time (Before Sunrise). It's a film I should have seen but never did for one reason or another.

It's very good. Delpy is excellent. Hawke, too, and his twisty smirk/smile. But then I like minimalist talky films. And more than a few times in the past, on my last night in a strange, far away city I've met someone and thought my life might change, and once it did.

by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2023 10:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!