Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What does DL think of the best basketball player in the NBA and in the world - Nikola Jokic, reigning Finals MVP

I won't bore people who don't care for sports stats but he is without a doubt a living legend and on track to break some of the most ridiculous records in the NBA. He is the best player on the reigning championship team and they are looking like the best team in the NBA this season too. The American media and the NBA pretty much refuses to market him, because he's considered to be fat and ugly and unathletic. Obviously it isn't possible to be the best player in the NBA without tremendous athletic gifts, it basically just means he doesn't jump high or run fast. He was fined a few years ago for saying "no homo". Nikola Jokic is 6'11" and 284 lb from Serbia. Is it fair for the NBA media to freeze him out of promotion and coverage for not being sexy or flashy? Do you think he's hot or a complete uggo?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2024 1:00 AM

I like older, schlubby men who look blue collar. 40 and up. That will be him, to a T, in 15 years so.

A huge yes then. Not so much now.

by Anonymousreply 1November 9, 2023 9:46 PM

Luka Garza....

Minnesota, let the boy play!

by Anonymousreply 2November 9, 2023 10:10 PM

r1 he already looks like a 40 year old plumber

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2023 6:04 PM

Big, dumb and full of pierogis.

by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2023 6:10 PM

Until I saw the OP I’d never thought of him.

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2023 6:11 PM

here's a mix of highlights. Nikola Jokic is a 2 time MVP (he should have won three in a row but the voters gave a pity win to another player last year) , reigning finals MVP and NBA champion, and is on track to break the record for the most triple doubles (means scoring two digits in three box score categories - points/assists/rebounds/blocks/steals) in NBA history despite his extremely young career. He's the most effective and efficient offensive player in NBA history and the Denver Nuggets are once again the best team in the Western Conference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2023 6:14 PM

I live in the region he hails from and I see so many guys like him around me on a daily basis, I can't possibly judge his hotness levels. He just sort of blends into the background for me.

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2023 6:16 PM

the serbian sensation is continuing to make history this year in the playoffs. after eliminating lebron james and the lakers he is now putting on one of the all time greatest comeback performances against the number one defense in the NBA. the US sports media is furious and doing everything possible to minimize and discredit him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2024 7:09 PM

He must have an enormous schvanschtuker.

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2024 7:29 PM

Thanks for the humblebrag r7 but you are lucky

He needs to beefup a bit more. It's not a contact sport but knees are still the most vulnerable joints.

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2024 9:00 PM

[quote]the US sports media is furious and doing everything possible to minimize and discredit him.

Huh? Furious? If there's such an anti-Nikola Jokic bias in the U.S. sports media, as you claim...how has he won MVP three times in four seasons?? (you do realize who votes on that, right?)

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2024 9:12 PM

Hideous face, but maybe big dick

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2024 9:16 PM

He is an excellent player. He is on one of the better teams. He gets lots of awards. And he has a fairly new TV ad out for something and I see it running a lot during prime time. He is not uninteresting just not all that interesting.

If he was a more interesting presence, at this point in time,, we might see even more of him on tv trying to have us buy shit we don’t need.

Now if they win this year, and I am betting they don’t, we may see more of him on TV pushing product. Because that is where you see NBA players on the court or being used in TV ads.

The NBA is hardly trying to erase him. That is silly.

by Anonymousreply 13May 17, 2024 9:33 PM

He goes back to Sebia to race his horse:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 17, 2024 10:11 PM

I don't watch this sport but presumably if he's that good then the real fans will notice his exceptional talent and start loving him. Why hasn't he got a string of straight fanboys worshipping him on social media?

Also he looks fairly hot (for a normal guy if not an athlete) in some of the pics so maybe he's just prone to awkward photos.

by Anonymousreply 15May 17, 2024 10:19 PM

Seb Korda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 17, 2024 11:05 PM

You're correct, R15. REAL fans/students of the game (not just "stans" for their home team) love this guy. He is playing chess while almost everyone else is playing checkers. I think it's natural for fans to compare current great-players to former great-players. Probably showing my age....to me, he is a terrifying combination of Tim Duncan, Arvydas Sabonis (pre-NBA) and Larry Bird.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2024 4:00 AM

#NBAMVPsowhite

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2024 9:34 PM

He doesn't want or need to be marketing car insurance or stupid fast food crap or credit cards. He wants no part of the splashiness of media attention OTHER than to play great basketball.

It's his choice not to be used as bait. He's got loads of money without having to a fake brand whore.

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2024 9:43 PM

I thought DL would go crazy about Luka Dončić.

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2024 9:53 PM

Or even Ivica Zubac, my countryman

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2024 9:54 PM

R19

So what in the bell is he doing in that cute ad I see all the time in TV? Do you think he is so rich he made that ad for free?

He would jump at the chance for more money and more ads. But only a few get the big bucks that way most don’t.

by Anonymousreply 22May 19, 2024 8:11 AM

I would service number 0 on the Knicks to completion.

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2024 8:42 AM

r20 christian braun was getting some love last year. i would think DLers would lust for josh giddey and gradey dick.

by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2024 11:52 AM

R11 I watch sports talk every day and it's split into two categories. The enthusiast shows which are aimed at serious fans - all very high on Jokic. The mainstream shows that are much more popular are purely negative, even going as far as saying stuff like "I don't even want to watch the NBA anymore. He's too boring and too fat. He doesn't look good. Watching him looks wrong. I hate him." - coming from the likes of Stephen A Smith, Kendrick Perkins, Skip Bayless, Acho, Keyshawn Johnson, Gilbert Arenas, etc. Last year Kendrick Perkins started a whole ordeal about how they shouldn't give MVP three times in a row to a white player and a lot of people think it's the only reason it ended up going to Embiid that year.

by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2024 11:55 AM

Classic photo, R24. Its gives what many DLers like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 19, 2024 12:02 PM

^It...

by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2024 12:03 PM

R25

Yes nothing like quoting Skip and Gilbert to show the quality of your choice of sports shows And please there is no good excuse at all for watching them. Watch a better quality of program.

by Anonymousreply 28May 19, 2024 12:36 PM

[quote] and too fat

He’s fat?

by Anonymousreply 29May 19, 2024 2:22 PM

[quote]I thought DL would go crazy about Luka Dončić.

I'm Team Luka.

by Anonymousreply 30May 19, 2024 2:35 PM

r17 Why is that "terrifying?"

by Anonymousreply 31May 19, 2024 2:37 PM

Luka team.

by Anonymousreply 32May 19, 2024 2:40 PM

Luka is so wholesome, I love Luka!

by Anonymousreply 33May 19, 2024 2:47 PM

Does he live on the second floor?

by Anonymousreply 34May 19, 2024 2:52 PM

I think you have seen him before

by Anonymousreply 35May 19, 2024 7:05 PM

ESPN execs are jumping from the top of building, since their beloved Knicks were destroyed in Game 7. The Joker won't have to worry about being totally ignored now that the Knicks won't make i to the finals. Thoughts and prayers to Spike Lee and Stephen A.

by Anonymousreply 36May 20, 2024 1:57 AM

[quote]ESPN execs are jumping from the top of building

If only.

by Anonymousreply 37May 20, 2024 1:59 AM

Good player but not enough for the Nuggets to advance. Go Timberwolves!

by Anonymousreply 38May 20, 2024 2:32 AM

Who's yo Daddy, now, Nugget-fans?? Suck it MIKE (not Michael) Malone, and Nuggets fans.

by Anonymousreply 39May 20, 2024 9:39 AM

Not the best team in the important final game and he was not the best player in the final game. Other than that the OP makes some great points about overconfidence and doing the happy dance far to early.

by Anonymousreply 40May 20, 2024 12:05 PM

I wonder if the Jokic-fan is going to chime in about how difficult it is to repeat (we know, said the, Warriors, Lakers Celtics, Bulls), and how long they played into the post-season last year (so their off-season was "shorter"), and how many minutes their starters played this season because the Western Conference was tougher this year (and they let their best bench players go)...and all those other excuses coach MIKE Malone made in the post-game interview, even though he prefaced his comments with: "Not to make excuses".

I am enjoying this. Go TIMBERWOLVES!!

by Anonymousreply 41May 20, 2024 12:42 PM

I enjoyed it, too, R41, but not as much as seeing the over-rated Knicks get slaughtered and Stephen A. being humiliated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 20, 2024 12:48 PM

I can't drag on the Knicks, R41, even though those two guys are jackasses....they went further than any other team could have with so many injuries to starters/key rotation players. And Brunson breaking his hand mid-game? That was the tough. I feel the (rank & file) Knicks-fans pain. Because 1989 still stings for me.

by Anonymousreply 43May 20, 2024 1:07 PM

Er, I meant, R42

by Anonymousreply 44May 20, 2024 1:09 PM

R41

What a great happy post. We are always so happy to see the great Lakers fans doing the happy dance. Even if it’s over a Minn team,

by Anonymousreply 45May 20, 2024 2:04 PM

Touche, Celtics Fan @ R45 (if you really are). How's Kristaps' rehab going? You're gonna need him if you get past the Pacers.

by Anonymousreply 46May 20, 2024 2:18 PM

R46

I always expect the worse but in his case the rehab seems to be working well. But expecting the worse often proves to be the smart bet.

I do miss the two really great NBA franchises in the finals going at each other like back in the day. And no one of those teams is not the Bulls or the Knicks.

Nothing beats Celtics vs Lakers

by Anonymousreply 47May 20, 2024 3:09 PM

Hopefully, we will see a Minnesota-Indianapolis final. Fuck the big market teams.

by Anonymousreply 48May 20, 2024 5:11 PM

R42 How the fuck are Knicks overrated? They almost got to the semifinals with 50% of their players being injured. With healthy Julius Randle, Bojan Bogdanović, Mitchell Robinson and OG Anunoby and with a better coach (the one that knows how to rotate their players so they don't get killed from everplaying) they could have easily made to the finals or even won the championship

by Anonymousreply 49May 20, 2024 5:54 PM

R48 No way. Indiana is not that good. They only got so far because they played against injured teams. Even without Porzingis, Celtics will crush them

by Anonymousreply 50May 20, 2024 5:55 PM

The 3 lamest statements ever

“We almost got to the….”

“ if only we had been healthy we would have…”

“ At least we won the popular vote”

by Anonymousreply 51May 20, 2024 6:05 PM

R49, if,if,if,if....................................losers always start with "If."

by Anonymousreply 52May 20, 2024 6:29 PM

R52 Okay, genius. Explain to me how exactly were they overrated.

by Anonymousreply 53May 20, 2024 8:10 PM

That really bother you, doesn't it? Tough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 20, 2024 9:10 PM

Greeny

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 20, 2024 9:11 PM

But, their fans are the Kings of Excuses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 20, 2024 9:14 PM

R54 So you can't explain it. As I thought. Got it.

by Anonymousreply 57May 20, 2024 9:42 PM

R20 Luka is sexy but he's probably too thick for many guys on here. Personally, I'd take him 😁

by Anonymousreply 58June 19, 2024 12:49 AM

R23 Donte DiVincenzo 🥵 🥵 that man is perfection

by Anonymousreply 59June 19, 2024 12:50 AM

Did anyone here have the Celtics winning it all? They have quite a few hot guys on their team as well.

by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2024 1:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!