Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The 20 Deadliest Foods

The cheese one. Oh my.

Most already know about things such as fugu, but there are several on this list I wasn't aware of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 6, 2023 8:13 AM

25 minute video. NO thanks. How about the Cliff Notes, sweetie? Do you ALWAYS open a conversation with a homework assignment?

by Anonymousreply 1November 5, 2023 9:52 AM

Your choice to watch or pass. I'm giving you a B- for your strength of sarcasm though... As for me, I had some time to kill and found it interesting. Do look for the maggot cheese. #9, Casu Marzu Sardinian cheese.

by Anonymousreply 2November 5, 2023 10:10 AM

Did anyone pull up the maggot cheese section? I posted that in the middle of the night so maybe not. It IS worth a look.

by Anonymousreply 3November 5, 2023 9:18 PM

Nobody wants to see foul foods rotted!

by Anonymousreply 4November 5, 2023 11:25 PM

PRUNES!

by Anonymousreply 5November 5, 2023 11:39 PM

Oh honey. There have been 194,613 click bait "articles" and videos about that maggot cheese (Casu martzu) in the last decade and 1/2 to 1 million results on Google. Do you think we haven't heard of it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 5, 2023 11:47 PM

I spent a summer in Sardinia and came across casu martzu. I really liked it, because the earthy tang of the cheese is balanced by the creaminess of the larvi.

If there are any dead maggots in it, it's not fit for eating. And the maggots are surprisingly resistant to being chewed until they release that smooth mixture of digested cheese and their own consistency. It's like biting into fat grains of rice and being rewarded with a warm squirt of flavor.

by Anonymousreply 7November 5, 2023 11:49 PM

That’s Haggis in OP’s photo.

by Anonymousreply 8November 5, 2023 11:52 PM

They're probably not deadly but I can't fathom how people can eat eel or octopus. I don't even want to look at them, ever.

by Anonymousreply 9November 5, 2023 11:56 PM

Haggis is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 10November 6, 2023 12:00 AM

I ate eel when I was 9 years old in Denmark in the 70s while visiting relatives. It tasted like chicken fried steak. I’m not sure if it’s a common food today or it was just trend back then.

by Anonymousreply 11November 6, 2023 12:05 AM

I didn't watch but googled an article. I had no idea nutmeg is a hallucinogen.

by Anonymousreply 12November 6, 2023 12:06 AM

I could never eat an octopus. They are such lovely creatures.

The things that surprised me were nutmeg, kidney beans and potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 13November 6, 2023 12:34 AM

[quote]I could never eat an octopus. They are such lovely creatures.

And quite intelligent, as well, R13.

by Anonymousreply 14November 6, 2023 12:46 AM

I already stay far away from mushrooms because they're just disgusting (the smell, the taste, the texture are all VILE). But this is a good reminder that NOBODY should ever use mushrooms in ANYTHING. Ever.

WTF are people even thinking eating those gross things?

by Anonymousreply 15November 6, 2023 2:23 AM

R13, you didn't know about the potato sprouts or green parts? I've know about avoiding those my entire life. Similarly, I've known about peach and apricot and cherry pits being poisonous.

I was more surprised by the rhubarb leaves. I don't like rhubarb to begin with so I avoid it anyway, but that makes me want to avoid it even more. How do you trust a plant where you eat the stems but the leaves are deadly poison?

I'm surprised that Eggplant didn't make the list.

by Anonymousreply 16November 6, 2023 2:24 AM

R7, I threw up in my mouth just reading that.

by Anonymousreply 17November 6, 2023 2:25 AM

The two surprising ones to me were the kidney beans and star fruit.

by Anonymousreply 18November 6, 2023 2:48 AM

Star Fruit was the only REALLY surprising one that I hadn't heard before. And since I have kidney issues (mostly stones) I'll avoid it from now on.

by Anonymousreply 19November 6, 2023 3:01 AM

JFC. R7

by Anonymousreply 20November 6, 2023 6:08 AM

I think I knew about all of these except for the one fish (not fugu) I had never heard of. But I’ll confess that I only learned about kidney beans about 5 years ago and I cooked them in a slow cooker maybe a hundred times over 25 years! Now I cook them in a pressure cooker.

by Anonymousreply 21November 6, 2023 8:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!