Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THE BEATLES - Now and Then

The demo-to-final work has finally been released. I actually like it. Not sure it's their best song, but it's a catchy tune that is easy to sing along to.

A late money grab? Trying to run the gravy train one more time? Trying to work one more time on living forever? A clear Maybe on all of that. And yet: I like the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 4, 2023 2:52 AM

Who doesn't want more Beatles songs?

by Anonymousreply 1November 2, 2023 5:49 PM

Underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 2November 2, 2023 5:52 PM

paul mccartney vanity project

by Anonymousreply 3November 2, 2023 6:16 PM

sounds very authentic .

but as professional musician it raises my hackles that we working musicians could be replaced by Ai generated predecessors.

by Anonymousreply 4November 2, 2023 6:20 PM

I think the art lies in the mix of real and fake. In this case the only AI aspect was separating (and probably enhancing) John Lennon's voice from the piano in the demo tape. Once they had just the voice singing without any instrument, they arranged the new music around it. To me that's still permissible. The line would have been crossed for me if they had taken John Lennon's voice as the base for brand new lyrics and computer generated singing.

by Anonymousreply 5November 2, 2023 8:58 PM

It's OK. Lot better than "Free as a Bird".

by Anonymousreply 6November 2, 2023 9:53 PM

It’s fine, but I’m much more impressed by the Stones creating a whole album of great new music.

by Anonymousreply 7November 2, 2023 10:23 PM

The official video. Directed by Peter Jackson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 3, 2023 11:25 PM

That video is beautiful. So playful and yet moving. Very well done. I'm glad it doesn't pretend that Lennon was somehow still part of this effort other than his original demo tape.

by Anonymousreply 9November 4, 2023 12:02 AM

Why did they use so much of John being spazzy? And the black and white AI faces are so AI.- it'll be dated looking in 3 years. The song itself is okay.

by Anonymousreply 10November 4, 2023 12:49 AM

I think this song is fucking horrible. There's a reason things like this and Free as a Bird were left unfinished or unreleased. Because they suck. I love the Beatles, but shame on Ringo and Paul and the Widows.

by Anonymousreply 11November 4, 2023 12:52 AM

I accepted "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" as post-Beatles Beatles self-observation. Sales interests aside, I don't believe much that they were merely cynically trying to cash in, although I haven't looked at how their other sales were affected by the releases. The Beatles had a lot of less-than-perfect experimentations. That's what I thought about these.

R11 is harsh, like cunts are, since very little of any of their work since before John's death has been "Beatles" music. But a pastiche still comes from the originals, in some way. Mainly McCarthy, of course.

But I haven't heard the latest/last one yet.

by Anonymousreply 12November 4, 2023 2:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!