Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why couldn't Rachel Griffiths crack Hollywood?

In light of Six Feet Under dropping on Netflix tomorrow and hopefully seeing the same sort of success as Sussex's Suits.

Technically not a WHET because I know what she's been up to in Australia after returning home, I've even watched some of those shows. She had the audiences and the critics eating out of her hand thanks to SFU, so what went wrong?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 1, 2023 10:44 AM

Peter Krause said she had B.O.

by Anonymousreply 1October 31, 2023 9:35 AM

She was miscast in SFU and Brothers & Sisters and so fug that Hollywood wanted to take its revenge.

by Anonymousreply 2October 31, 2023 9:36 AM

Unpacking this: She was never believable on SFU as someone a hot LA native like Nate Fisher would find irresistible. Griffiths and Krause were supposed to have this volcanic chemistry but had none.

The reality is, in LA, for every sex freak who looked like Griffiths, there were a thousand hot sex bunnies who would have done the same shit. Alan Ball clearly wanted to go "a different direction" but it just wasn't believable as real-life behavior. Anna Faris or Linda Cardellini would have been better in the role.

And Grififths didn't fit into the Walker family on Brothers & Sisters at all. I think she got punished for getting two sweet five-season TV gigs agents wanted for other clients. (And speaking of: How did she not have enough money to stay in LA forever, after a decade of weekly TV?)

by Anonymousreply 3October 31, 2023 9:49 AM

Hollywood only had room for one, and they chose Muriel over Rhonda.

by Anonymousreply 4October 31, 2023 9:49 AM

I remember a really hot scene where she seduces two teenage boys, at the height of her sex addiction. Anyone remember this?

by Anonymousreply 5October 31, 2023 10:04 AM

U.G.L.Y., she ain't got no alibi, she uhly, whut, whut, she ugly.

She's ugly, OP, and she didn't have a schtick like Frances McDormand.

by Anonymousreply 6October 31, 2023 10:09 AM

She was a fugly slut!

by Anonymousreply 7October 31, 2023 10:10 AM

[quote]Hollywood only had room for one, and they chose Muriel over Rhonda.

Thin ice motherfucker r4. Thin fucking ice.

by Anonymousreply 8October 31, 2023 10:11 AM

You're terrible, Muriel.

Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 9October 31, 2023 10:14 AM

She looked like a man before it was cool.

by Anonymousreply 10October 31, 2023 10:57 AM

She hitched her wagon to Muriel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 31, 2023 11:10 AM

She has...um....crotchal odor...really, just awful

by Anonymousreply 12October 31, 2023 11:14 AM

And then she died, R11.

by Anonymousreply 13October 31, 2023 11:23 AM

She was a gigantic bitch. A terrible person to work with

by Anonymousreply 14October 31, 2023 11:53 AM

^ That's what I read too, here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 15October 31, 2023 12:03 PM

She was in a movie with Fan Bingbong but she's never been in a film with Bai Ling

by Anonymousreply 16October 31, 2023 12:08 PM

I thought she was under appreciated in Six Feet Under. She nailed her weirdo character who mightn’t be sleeping with her even weirder brother.

The fact that Peter Krause and Rachel Griffiths weren’t in the same league with regards to sex appeal was interesting, but when they paired her with Justin Theroux it just wasn’t believable. She looked so masculine compared to short, muscle Mary Justin.

Ultimately, she just didn’t have that typical Hollywood look and, yes, she was a bit on the masculine side. She’s certainly not ugly. Just a bit too plain Jane for Hollywood. She does have talent. Six Feet Under was the perfect oddball series for her. Boring, vanilla Brothers and Sisters was not.

by Anonymousreply 17October 31, 2023 12:10 PM

The funniest part of that transcendent montage in the series finale was her literally being talked to death by her brother.

[quote]Six Feet Under was the perfect oddball series for her. Boring, vanilla Brothers and Sisters was not.

r17 Interesting because rich soccer moms are basically all she's been playing since returning to Australia. I agree with your breakdown otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 18October 31, 2023 12:15 PM

She insisted upon herself.

by Anonymousreply 19October 31, 2023 12:20 PM

I always meant to watch Barracuda, from the same writer as The Slap.

And I never meant to watch Bustin Dance Lack's When We Rise which looked awful.

by Anonymousreply 20October 31, 2023 12:20 PM

I’ve always enjoyed her performances. She was on Broadway in Other Desert Cities, which had one of the best casts I’ve seen. Her work in Muriel’s Wedding and Six Feet Under were accomplished enough to retire as a success in a brutal business.

by Anonymousreply 21October 31, 2023 12:20 PM

r10 Barracuda was a delight, saw it when it came out.

by Anonymousreply 22October 31, 2023 12:22 PM

*That was meant for r20. Didn't know she was in When We Rise as well, yikes.

by Anonymousreply 23October 31, 2023 12:24 PM

I'm scratching my head on this one.

Getting those "two sweet five-season TV gigs" meant she spent 10 years working "80 hour weeks" as she herself put it. She returned to Australia because she wanted to work less and have more time with her children. She certainly didn't return with her tail between her legs.

She has 1 Oscar nomination, 4 Prime Time Emmy nominations and 1 Golden Globe. How does that translate into "not cracking Hollywood"?

She was quite effective in SFU; in that TV relationship it was Peter Krause who had no screen presence.

by Anonymousreply 24October 31, 2023 12:25 PM

R24- I agree both the character he played and the actor Peter Krause - both rather bland.

by Anonymousreply 25October 31, 2023 12:28 PM

Crack Hollywood? Maybe she should have tried cracking a window to air the room out from her BO?

by Anonymousreply 26October 31, 2023 12:29 PM

I think cracking in this context entails having some staying power as well. It doesn't really count if you move to another continent and start doing shitty TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 27October 31, 2023 12:29 PM

Griffith was perfect for Six Feet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 31, 2023 12:30 PM

Her bitch reputation and personality was perfect for her appearance on Kath & Kim.

by Anonymousreply 29October 31, 2023 12:40 PM

Peter Krause is just as boring on 9-1-1.

He could get away with it when he was younger and hotter.

Not so much, now.

by Anonymousreply 30October 31, 2023 12:41 PM

Nick was no prize either. I found their relationship more believable than if they’d cast a hot blonde.

by Anonymousreply 31October 31, 2023 12:45 PM

I liked her well enough on the Sally Field Programme. But that character bore little resemblance to the excitement she brought to Mariel.....I mean Muriel's Wedding,

by Anonymousreply 32October 31, 2023 12:46 PM

She played the character of Brenda very well, she made her interesting. I loved the finale when she and Billy were sitting together and he was rambling on and on about whatever and she died of boredom.

by Anonymousreply 33October 31, 2023 12:53 PM

R33 lol!

by Anonymousreply 34October 31, 2023 4:13 PM

R1 That’s sucks because she is also not pretty at all.

by Anonymousreply 35October 31, 2023 4:14 PM

R35, the Gilmore girl he married wasn’t much prettier than Rachel!

by Anonymousreply 36October 31, 2023 4:26 PM

I love her as Brenda.

by Anonymousreply 37October 31, 2023 5:06 PM

Is baby Banjo all growed up?

by Anonymousreply 38October 31, 2023 5:11 PM

Goodbye Porpoise Spit!

by Anonymousreply 39October 31, 2023 5:53 PM

AND YOU THREE? WHAT A BUNCH OF COCKSUCKERS.

While it's right that Toni Collette and Rachel Griffiths got the recognition for Muriel there were 2 other sublime performances. Jeannie Drynan as Betty Heslop and Sophie Lee as Tanya.

I'M MARRIED! I'M BEAUTIFUL!

by Anonymousreply 40October 31, 2023 6:00 PM

I'd fuck Peter Krause TODAY.

by Anonymousreply 41October 31, 2023 6:07 PM

R41 = Ryan Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 42October 31, 2023 7:37 PM

I've enjoyed her onscreen, but she gave one of the most amateurish performances I've ever seen in the Broadway production of the play "Other Desert Cities". The play sucked anyway, but she was bizarrely awful in it.

by Anonymousreply 43October 31, 2023 8:58 PM

R28- That fight was raw.

by Anonymousreply 44October 31, 2023 9:33 PM

I liked her in Hedwig with an Angry Inch.

by Anonymousreply 45October 31, 2023 9:37 PM

Peter Krause couldn’t act and Griffiths nicely compensated for that deficit on the show. That said, he was hot. Just the right amount of upper body chest muscles with tasteful fur, his smug smile, and that shaggy hair. He wasn’t drop dead, but handsome in a very approachable way - like a young Seattle barista who all the soccer moms would lust after. I’m sure Alan Ball only cast him for his looks. Too bad he was so modest with nudity on the show.

by Anonymousreply 46October 31, 2023 9:38 PM

Her head is the same width as her neck. That's why she couldn't crack Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 31, 2023 11:37 PM

“I don’t need to hate you. You do a pretty good job of doing that yourself.”

by Anonymousreply 48November 1, 2023 12:04 AM

She was irritating. In her coffin she will be irritating.

by Anonymousreply 49November 1, 2023 12:07 AM

The smug, punchable face?

by Anonymousreply 50November 1, 2023 12:10 AM

She moved home because she wanted to raise her kids as Australians. She gets plenty of work here.

by Anonymousreply 51November 1, 2023 12:17 AM

I was so hot for her on SFU (which I recently watched) that I decided to watch The Sally Field Programme right afterwards. That was one of the very worst soap operas I have ever sat through, but she almost made it worth it.

I don't know what it takes for you gentlemen to think a woman is hot, but she oozes sex appeal. Take my word for it. And frankly, I DGAF about the quality of her acting -- I'd watch her in almost anything.

by Anonymousreply 52November 1, 2023 12:21 AM

[quote] Why couldn't Rachel Griffiths crack Hollywood?

Because her face cracked mirrors.

by Anonymousreply 53November 1, 2023 12:40 AM

From a good source, she has B.O., farts in front of other actors as if nothing, treats crews like shit. She's a monster and they packed her off to Australia.

by Anonymousreply 54November 1, 2023 12:43 AM

She’s up for the lead in “when we…got Bette Davis eyes the Kim Carnes story”

by Anonymousreply 55November 1, 2023 12:44 AM

Wasn’t she the same person who played Helen the evil lawyer in Ozark?

by Anonymousreply 56November 1, 2023 12:47 AM

That was Janet McTeer. Something you could have figured out with the simplest Google search.

by Anonymousreply 57November 1, 2023 12:52 AM

So much DL fodder in this one clip, including Rachel as half of a singing spinster sister act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 1, 2023 10:33 AM

She is the reason I stopped watching Six Feet Under.

by Anonymousreply 59November 1, 2023 10:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!