Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Broadway Buzz: Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’

There’s Broadway buzz that Aaron Tveit and Sutton Foster will replace Josh Groban and Annaleigh Ashford in the revival of “Sweeney Todd.” A source told us Foster and Tveit will star next in the famously dark Stephen Sondheim musical about “The Demon Barber of Fleet Street,” after Groban and Ashford take their final bows Jan. 14.

There have already been rumblings on social media of the new duo, and sources now tell us the news is imminent after the show announced its run has been extended at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre through spring 2024. Groban and Ashford starred in the show for a 46-week run, and the production racked up eight Tony Awards and two wins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 31, 2023 7:11 PM

The stars previously appeared together at Sydney’s Theatre Royal in 2016 for a concert called “Defying Gravity: The Songs of Stephen Schwartz.”

by Anonymousreply 1October 31, 2023 3:02 AM

Fags, all of the guys.

by Anonymousreply 2October 31, 2023 3:04 AM

it's Michael Cerveris who should have been the original and not that lightweight Grobin

by Anonymousreply 3October 31, 2023 3:06 AM

Did you see Grobin?

by Anonymousreply 4October 31, 2023 3:09 AM

oh lord... you may be right . Aaron Tveit is another Hacktror completely wrong for the part. As said above..Cerveris is perfect...

by Anonymousreply 5October 31, 2023 3:10 AM

Yes I saw Grobin..The production and Annaleigh Ashford aRE FANTASTIC...He had none of the gravitas needed for the rule. It was like Mickey Mouse was Sweeney. His voice, of course, is gorgeous but if you know the show it just isn't enough.

by Anonymousreply 6October 31, 2023 3:15 AM

I saw him too. I thought he was terrific. People always want to see a replication of another actor doing the part. I know the show quite well.

by Anonymousreply 7October 31, 2023 3:21 AM

Oh Lord.

Revenge of the Theater Kids.

I can picture Sutton's Mrs. Lovett right now, with her cutesy overdone Cockney accent.

by Anonymousreply 8October 31, 2023 3:34 AM

Josh Groban. G - R - 0 - B - A - N

How are we supposed to take your opinions seriously when you can't even get his name right?

by Anonymousreply 9October 31, 2023 3:44 AM

Broadway is DEAD and it’s not coming back. Next!

by Anonymousreply 10October 31, 2023 5:37 AM

I thought Groban was really good. He played Sweeney as a schmuck - a little man, not the booming personification of vengeance. It was a new spin on the role and an interesting one.

Frankly, I thought Ashford was way too hammy - the shitty Cockney accent and the Lucille Ball pratfall schtick.

by Anonymousreply 11October 31, 2023 12:54 PM

What did we do to deserve Sutton Foster? Or: what did we do to encourage Sutton Foster to be the performer she's become? She didn't used to be that bad. And she doesn't seem to know how to say no.

by Anonymousreply 12October 31, 2023 1:41 PM

I blame Trump.

by Anonymousreply 13October 31, 2023 7:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!